Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Pop-up are a chip timing company.
    Race organisers pay them to do results.

Sizeable operation & for profit.

Can manage 2/3 events at same time in different locations.

What I'm really trying to figure out is whether it's ethically fine to express how much their mobile site made me want to gouge my eyeballs out tonight.

Not for profit: 'Hey, no worries guys.'

For profit: 'Who wants this kick up the hole?'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Just saw your edit.

Kick up the hole it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Doing a half marathon relay in a few weeks time. First time to do relay. Does it matter or make any difference who does the first and second halves of the half marathon relay? We aren’t in it to win it, just to do our best and complete it. One of us has done a complete half before and the other hasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lazare wrote:

It is the individual races that would decide why they want to run the event. (No pun indended) Every organiser wants to make a profit, it just depends how you want it advertised.

Pop-up have taken over the market in the Midlands and do promote the events they cover. Every school has taken to having a 5k to raise funds for whatever. A lot of the ones I have seen are purely seen as cash cows & a quick way to raise money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Doing a half marathon relay in a few weeks time. First time to do relay. Does it matter or make any difference who does the first and second halves of the half marathon relay? We aren’t in it to win it, just to do our best and complete it. One of us has done a complete half before and the other hasn’t.

Other than who gets to cross the finish line for the glory!

I don't see any difference. Unless the course is particularly hilly in one half and that suited one of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Lazare wrote: »
    What I'm really trying to figure out is whether it's ethically fine to express how much their mobile site made me want to gouge my eyeballs out tonight.

They really deserve a kick in the hole, website and mobile app is a mess, results are all over the place, they could do with a mosey over to their main competitor. There not the worst mind you.

Other than who gets to cross the finish line for the glory!

I don't see any difference. Unless the course is particularly hilly in one half and that suited one of you?
    Thanks!
    Haven't seen the course profile but I've cycled in the area before and no hills or climbs worth mentioning from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Haven't seen the course profile but I've cycled in the area before and no hills or climbs worth mentioning from what I remember.

I suppose the only other things to consider are nerves and warmup. The first person has a definite start time, the second hasn't. Maybe the most relaxed person goes second as they are less likely to be worrying as they wait.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I suppose the only other things to consider are nerves and warmup. The first person has a definite start time, the second hasn't. Maybe the most relaxed person goes second as they are less likely to be worrying as they wait.
    That's a good point!
    My train of thought was I've done one half before, he hasn't but he's doing one later this year. At the moment he's like what I was like before I did a half: sure a half will be grand, sure it's just 2 10k's, 10k's are grand!! However I found the second half of the half marathon tougher, not just physically but mentally.
    So I was thinking of making him do the second part of the relay which would technically be the second half of the half marathon, thinking that might mentally prepare him for the latter part of a half marathon....

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

My big toenail has started to turn black!

Thought it was due to running in snow because that's when it started, but it has never gone away. Doesn't hurt or anything, but is it a cause for concern?

For context, I'm in the second half of the 12 week Pfitzinger plan, doing ~100–115km per week.

I'll be heart-broken if I'm told to reduce the distance because I'm nailing this training cycle with regards injury.

Plz advise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

conti wrote: »

Thought it was due to running in snow because that's when it started, but it has never gone away. Doesn't hurt or anything, but is it a cause for concern?

For context, I'm in the second half of the 12 week Pfitzinger plan, doing ~100–115km per week.

I'll be heart-broken if I'm told to reduce the distance because I'm nailing this training cycle with regards injury.

Plz advise!

Very good. Forget about the toenail, who gives a ****e about toenails. Unless you're a model or something. I have a few dodgy looking ones at this stage. Some of the elites speak of multiple black, broken, fallen off nails. I think Paula Radcliffe spoke of broken toes, not nails, in her day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Plz advise!
    It has never happened to me, but it is very normal. It will eventually fall off. Caused by trauma to the nail bed. Don't sweat it. They grow back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Plz advise!

Congrats. You're now a real runner ;)

Also LOL at your puntastic final paragraph! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Definitely nothing to stop you running. It can go on for ages like that. Will eventually fall off and another will have started growing underneath. Happened to me from DCM but only beginning to look some way normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Definitely nothing to stop you running. It can go on for ages like that. Will eventually fall off and another will have started growing underneath. Happened to me from DCM but only beginning to look some way normal now.

Mine still looks bad lol no open toe sandals for me, but I do not care really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I wouldn't feel right unless I had 2 or 3 toe nails in various states of disrepair

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Has anyone heard anything about the MSB st.patrick 5k , there is weather warning for tommow and forecast snow. They've not updated their Facebook in few days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Birdsong wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about the MSB st.patrick 5k , there is weather warning for tommow and forecast snow. They've not updated their Facebook in few days

They are waiting on the authorities to make a call

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=850419141796308&id=454611051377121

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Race cancelled.

http://www.msbac.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi everyone

I'm currently up to the half marathon distance. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to master the distance, get more comfortable with it and bring my time down.

My question relates to gels. I don't imagine I would like them. I just know that the texture would upset me, before we even start on the tastes. Up to now I've been using a banana that I fit into my running belt and a mini pack of jelly tots if I need them.

I do want to improve performance, but am I missing out horribly by not embracing the gel? My half PB is 2:11. My ultimate goal is 1:50 (way down the line ) If I move up to the marathon distance am I going to need to start taking them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I'm currently up to the half marathon distance. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to master the distance, get more comfortable with it and bring my time down.

My question relates to gels. I don't imagine I would like them. I just know that the texture would upset me, before we even start on the tastes. Up to now I've been using a banana that I fit into my running belt and a mini pack of jelly tots if I need them.

I do want to improve performance, but am I missing out horribly by not embracing the gel? My half PB is 2:11. My ultimate goal is 1:50 (way down the line ) If I move up to the marathon distance am I going to need to start taking them?

I'll get this in before Enduro..... The Irish marathon record was set before the days of gels!! The answer to your question is, no. So why do most take 'em? They're handy, easy to carry, relatively easy to consume and are a mental help if nothing else. Some don't take kindly to them, tummy-wise. There tend to be two types, the gluey thickish ones which definitely need water and the more liquidy ones which I prefer because you don't really need water with them unless it's a warm day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Agree with Itziger, you don't have to take them but they do have convenience going for them. I don't particularly like them but i can tolerate them fine. I settled on the Kinetica Cola flavour ones, i think it's a case of trial and error. I never used them for a half marathon though, just for 18-20 mile training runs and the marathon itself. In the end though i only used 2 i think (maybe 3 at most) in the marathon. My hands got really sweaty (it was warm) and i struggled to open them, then they spilled on my hands so my hands were sticky as well. In the end i took jellies off the very kind supporters and found they did the trick. I think at times the need for them was just as a distraction as much as anything else. GU Chews are an alternative, they're a bit like Wine Gums!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I use gels but only like the High 5 isogels as they are already diluted and more like a drink. The others can be very thick. There are loads of options though and you can go the natural way with dried fruit etc or get jellies, sports Beans, etc. a good sports shop will talk you through some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

for a half Marathon, I used jellies and only one or two but in training for DCM I used tailwind and loved it fantastic stuff and all you need so I am sticking with that now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

What fields do people use on their watches? I usually have 3; time, distance & lap pace, but have tried 4 fields, adding on average pace. Not sure if I like it though, a bit busy possibly.....or would people have different fields displayed for races vs sessions vs easy runs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    What fields do people use on their watches? I usually have 3; time, distance & lap pace, but have tried 4 fields, adding on average pace. Not sure if I like it though, a bit busy possibly.....or would people have different fields displayed for races vs sessions vs easy runs etc?

Have the 4 fields going on, mainly monitor the average pace for the whole run more than lap pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Just the one which is total time. Only wear a watch nowadays to give coach feedback on pace afterwards and have only wore one once in a race over the last 3 years. Have generally found the benefits huge, my sessions generally match up within a few seconds per mile of my races and I've learned the benefits of feeling a pace. I find that there is such a thing as too much information for me and feel doesn't wreck my head and helps me generally ebb and flow in training better than stats ever did as I'm not trying to live up to digits on a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Time, distance, lap pace.

I'm getting better at ignoring pace, or the watch completely, when it isn't important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Same as Ray but heart rate too. I also downloaded one of those fancy widget things that gives a display of 8ish things. It was a novelty for a while but I don't bother with it anymore.
    Im still at the stage where I rely on the display to tune into a pace especially for intervals and tempos. For long runs or easy runs I don't bother much with it apart from the odd check.
    For racing I'm trying to look at it less and less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Time | Distance
    Av Pace | Lap Pace

Advertisement