Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Time | Distance
    Av Pace | Lap Pace
    Ditto. Sometimes just cadance or heat rate on easy runs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Easy Run has Time, distance, lap pace. Race also has average pace on there.
    Sessions I gave Time, Distance, Lap pace and either lap time or lap distance depending on the session. Auto lap is turned off on the session profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Day T-5 till I finally get running again after 6 month lay off with surgeries....
    Any advice for easing myself back into it?

I'm all excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

healy1835 wrote: »
    What fields do people use on their watches? I usually have 3; time, distance & lap pace, but have tried 4 fields, adding on average pace. Not sure if I like it though, a bit busy possibly.....or would people have different fields displayed for races vs sessions vs easy runs etc?
    I usually have it set to lap pace and distance. I've a garmin FR10 so the screen is small enough, no point clogging it when all you really have time for is a glance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Starting again

Say if someone totally fell off the horse, what would be the best way to get back on?

Couch to 5k would be obvious, but that would be starting and stopping. If I jog really really slowly, I can keep going. Do I just do That? Its not very enjoyable or inspiring :pac:

I do gym work twice a week and that has kind of taken over, whereas the idea of it was to benefit the running. But it is really fupping hard work and it wrecks me. Any time I've tried to run the day after the legs have had nothing.

If anyone has any ideas on how the two can happily coincide to get me back on the road that would be great. Taking it easier in the gym is not an option, I don't want to get shouted at :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Starting again

Say if someone totally fell off the horse, what would be the best way to get back on?

Couch to 5k would be obvious, but that would be starting and stopping. If I jog really really slowly, I can keep going. Do I just do That? Its not very enjoyable or inspiring :pac:

I do gym work twice a week and that has kind of taken over, whereas the idea of it was to benefit the running. But it is really fupping hard work and it wrecks me. Any time I've tried to run the day after the legs have had nothing.

If anyone has any ideas on how the two can happily coincide to get me back on the road that would be great. Taking it easier in the gym is not an option, I don't want to get shouted at :pac:

How long have you been doing the gym work? If it’s still fairly new to you then it will stop hurting so much soon.

I used C25K originally along with 20 minute strength workouts 3times a week and that worked for me. I often did the run before the strength work which helped.

A friend down.oaded the My ASICS app and is using that and finds it brilliant. I haven’t used it myself though I did download it to look at it and the app is fairly cool - the plan is working for my friend but can’t say for sure how good it is - does start slow but more jogging than c25k.

Kellygirl wrote: »

How long have you been doing the gym work? If it’s still fairly new to you then it will stop hurting so much soon.

I used C25K originally along with 20 minute strength workouts 3times a week and that worked for me. I often did the run before the strength work which helped.

A friend down.oaded the My ASICS app and is using that and finds it brilliant. I haven’t used it myself though I did download it to look at it and the app is fairly cool - the plan is working for my friend but can’t say for sure how good it is - does start slow but more jogging than c25k.[/quote]

Hi Kelly...well I started back in November, it doesn't really hurt as much as it did. But say I go one day, next day I feel grand, the day after that again the pain strikes, which then has an impact on the next work out.

When you started the couch to 5k and the three workouts, how many times a week did you run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Starting again

Couch to 5k would be obvious, but that would be starting and stopping. If I jog really really slowly, I can keep going. Do I just do That? Its not very enjoyable or inspiring

If anyone has any ideas on how the two can happily coincide to get me back on the road that would be great. Taking it easier in the gym is not an option, I don't want to get shouted at

I'd say go back running, but just slow down. You could always try the c25k - but start half way through. Your body just isn't used to the running and you need to coax it back to life :D

I do 3 heavy weights sessions in the gym weekly. The DOMS always affect me the most 2 days later, but I just have to train through them. At the moment, I'm trying to run 3-4 times a week also. I have one full day off. It's hard work, but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

A friend down.oaded the My ASICS app and is using that and finds it brilliant. I haven’t used it myself though I did download it to look at it and the app is fairly cool - the plan is working for my friend but can’t say for sure how good it is - does start slow but more jogging than c25k.

Hi Kelly...well I started back in November, it doesn't really hurt as much as it did. But say I go one day, next day I feel grand, the day after that again the pain strikes, which then has an impact on the next work out.

When you started the couch to 5k and the three workouts, how many times a week did you run?[/QUOTE]

I ran 3 days a week. C25K never took too much out of me anyway. I used be sooo slow and as I said often used do it before the strength workout so do them both on one day.

juke wrote: »
    I'd say go back running, but just slow down. You could always try the c25k - but start half way through. Your body just isn't used to the running and you need to coax it back to life :D

I do 3 heavy weights sessions in the gym weekly. The DOMS always affect me the most 2 days later, but I just have to train through them. At the moment, I'm trying to run 3-4 times a week also. I have one full day off. It's hard work, but it can be done.

In a way that last bit is what I wanted to hear but also what I didn't want to hear :pac: There is a light at the end of the tunnel I just have to grit it out.

I will start it at half way through and see how we fare.

• Advertisement

In a way that last bit is what I wanted to hear but also what I didn't want to hear :pac: There is a light at the end of the tunnel I just have to grit it out.

I will start it at half way through and see how we fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Forgive me my ignorance but I'm just wondering is that level of gym work meant to be beneficial to running or are they just 2 hobbies that you like to do?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Forgive me my ignorance but I'm just wondering is that level of gym work meant to be beneficial to running or are they just 2 hobbies that you like to do?

No, not at all 🙂. Lifting is my priority, I love the buzz I get from it. I just have notions on running and I love the headspace I get from it.

Erm...well...it all started as strength and conditioning type work to help me glutes. It was probably totally the wrong type of class, but I saw them all doing their chin ups and weighted back squats and I wanted to do that too. So ive stuck with it, but it's tough and has been to the detriment of the running which defies the whole point. But I can't give it up. :pac: I hope if I can get running again I can carry the strength over and I'll be flying.

No, not at all 🙂. Lifting is my priority, I love the buzz I get from it. I just have notions on running and I love the headspace I get from it.

Oh sorry... that question was to you :o

:pac: ah no it was to both of you really. Just had visions of those creatures on Worlds Strongest Man and similar TV shows and their attempts at running in between lifting cars with their teeth :pac: I just can't imagine serious weight lifting being in any way helpful to running. :confused:

:pac: ah no it was to both of you really. Just had visions of those creatures on Worlds Strongest Man and similar TV shows and their attempts at running in between lifting cars with their teeth :pac: I just can't imagine serious weight lifting being in any way helpful to running. :confused:

Well, for me, my core and quads are strong, which is a help. But like I said, notions (42k of them) :cool:

Also, no chance of me looking like a strongman type....too little testosterone. Female hobbit is more likely :pac:

Well, for me, my core and quads are strong, which is a help. But like I said, notions (42k of them) :cool:

Also, no chance of me looking like a strongman type....too little testosterone. Female hobbit is more likely :pac:

Oh my dear, what big feet you have! :pac:

Best of luck with your notion anyway. This time last year I had a similar notion....:D

Then that deffo wasn't a question for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi All,

I'm looking to knock 20-30 seconds off my 5km PB. I'm looking to get additional mileage in the legs over the next few weeks however my question - is there any benefit to be gained from running km's in under 5mins? So I ran 7km in 34mins yesterday- really pushed it. Also planning long slow run 10km once a week and hopefully some interval training.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking to knock 20-30 seconds off my 5km PB. I'm looking to get additional mileage in the legs over the next few weeks however my question - is there any benefit to be gained from running km's in under 5mins? So I ran 7km in 34mins yesterday- really pushed it. Also planning long slow run 10km once a week and hopefully some interval training.

Thanks guys

"is there any benefit to be gained from running km's in under 5mins?"

Well, that depends entirely on your level. For some people that's insanely fast, for others that's not even their easy jogging pace. You forgot to tell us what your 5k PB is.

Google "online 5k training program" and take your pick. Depending on how long you have been running you might want to ignore the couch to 5k ones and pick something a little bit more advanced but that's up to you.

Getting back to your question, training plans aimed at improving your time will invariably contain a certain amount of faster running, at your 5k race pace and even faster, which is always done in intervals. No 5k training plan will contain a day where you are hammering it out for 7k.

"is there any benefit to be gained from running km's in under 5mins?"

Well, that depends entirely on your level. For some people that's insanely fast, for others that's not even their easy jogging pace. You forgot to tell us what your 5k PB is.

Google "online 5k training program" and take your pick. Depending on how long you have been running you might want to ignore the couch to 5k ones and pick something a little bit more advanced but that's up to you.

Getting back to your question, training plans aimed at improving your time will invariably contain a certain amount of faster running, at your 5k race pace and even faster, which is always done in intervals. No 5k training plan will contain a day where you are hammering it out for 7k.

Thanks for the response. I'm currently at 21:20 and would love to break 21mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ok, that's faster than I thought it would be after your first post. You'll definitely be looking at a more advanced training program.

Your present 5k pace is 4:16 and you want to get down to 4:12. I'm a bit confused why you then found 7k in 34 minutes so hard. That's 4:51 pace, well over 30 seconds per k slower than your 5k pace - that shouldn't have felt all that hard.

As an example of a typical 5k workout, coach Greg Macmillan would have something like this once a week:

8-10 x 400m at goal 5K pace with 200-300m recovery jog between

But don't pick a single workout. Get a proper training plan and follow it. A book like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Faster-5k-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229 would be ideal. It doesn't just have training plans in isolation, it also explains the basics.

Others here will suggest you join a running club. Depending on how that fits into your schedule, it might be your best bet.

Ok, that's faster than I thought it would be after your first post. You'll definitely be looking at a more advanced training program.

Your present 5k pace is 4:16 and you want to get down to 4:12. I'm a bit confused why you then found 7k in 34 minutes so hard. That's 4:51 pace, well over 30 seconds per k slower than your 5k pace - that shouldn't have felt all that hard.

As an example of a typical 5k workout, coach Greg Macmillan would have something like this once a week:

8-10 x 400m at goal 5K pace with 200-300m recovery jog between

But don't pick a single workout. Get a proper training plan and follow it. A book like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Faster-5k-Marathon-Coach/dp/0767928229 would be ideal. It doesn't just have training plans in isolation, it also explains the basics.

Others here will suggest you join a running club. Depending on how that fits into your schedule, it might be your best bet.

Thanks again for the detailed reply.

That PB was from a while back and currently trying to get back into shape as I had been sick for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Any tips for ensuring balance during squats, mine seems quite poor and not great in general ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Any tips for ensuring balance during squats, mine seems quite poor and not great in general ? Thanks

Keep your weight going through your heels, so you start the squat by pushing your hips back.

If your heels are lifting, it will be harder to balance. More importantly, it places too much stress on your knees.

Starting again

*tut* As 'luck' would have it the gym has changed around the classes and the new times are unsuitable. So it's back to basics with running alone. I dragged my ass out for an awe inspiring 2 and a half miles this morning. I hope to god I can stay on the straight and narrow this time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I struggled for a long time to break sub 20, funnily enough once you do it once it just happens without effort after that. Anyway, for me personally I need to really be specific to the race. For me, I had the speed but not the endurance to hold it for 3 miles. So I focussed on long intervals at race pace.

5*1k
    3*1 mile
    3*1.5 mile

I also started incorporating a tempo runs, which up til then I had being doing wrong ( I basically was turning a tempo into a full on speed session). This was usually 3miles (at slightly slower than 10m race pace) x2. Its kind of a comfortably hard long interval but has a huge benefit to speed endurance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

after cycling,are stretches similar to after running in order ?

Advertisement