Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Any particular topics or area's in particular?

A bit of everything and anything running related. I subscribe to a few channels from athletics news to ultra trail running documentaries to just general advice and training for runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

A bit of everything and anything running related. I subscribe to a few channels from athletics news to ultra trail running documentaries to just general advice and training for runners.

Flotrack content is now uploaded to Youtube, some good stuff in there archives,

Sage Canaday is fairly active on it and some of his stuff can be good (wouldn't be the most charismatic)

The Olympic channel has some good short pieces but you have to go looking a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Flotrack content is now uploaded to Youtube, some good stuff in there archives,

Sage Canaday is fairly active on it and some of his stuff can be good (wouldn't be the most charismatic)

The Olympic channel has some good short pieces but you have to go looking a bit

Hoka NAZ Elite have some good stuff too. I like some of Sage's stuff, a lot of it is repetitive but the stuff focusing on his own training/vlogs is good.

What would be the flattest half marathon in Ireland at the moment. Athlone was a nice one but I don't think it's ran anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

What would be the flattest half marathon in Ireland at the moment. Athlone was a nice one but I don't think it's ran anymore.

Mullingar March 17 and Charleville sept 20ish are both good courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Longwood 1/2 marathon ,East of Ireland course

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Charleville in September is probably as flat as you will get. Little hill right at the end but nothing before that. Pretty fast too going by peoples times generally and PB’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Anyone else ever get people asking if they are ok when doing their stretches ?. I have a few times,even today roadside, a car approaching was going very slow, as though at least 'wondering'? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

For recovery the day after a 30-32km run, what would be more beneficial? The 6-10km slowish run or a cycle?

(If a cycle, what distance?).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have a marathon question if thats ok!

I'm planning to do Dublin marathon for the 2nd time, hoping to bring my time down from 4.30 to under 4.00. I'm planning to follow the Hal Higdon novice 2, the first one worked well for me and I like the format.

I had also signed up for the race series, but, when I draw up the training schedule I can see that the race series events really do not match with the HH2 schedule. For example, the half marathon is on the 22nd, but that weekend is supposed to be a 30k LSR for me. The weekend of the 10k is supposed to be an 18k LSR. The distances involved don't seem to match at all.

I suppose I'm looking for validation here, I'd like to do the race series again but am I right in thinking that I need to just forget about it and concentrate on the schedule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm planning to do Dublin marathon for the 2nd time, hoping to bring my time down from 4.30 to under 4.00. I'm planning to follow the Hal Higdon novice 2, the first one worked well for me and I like the format.

I had also signed up for the race series, but, when I draw up the training schedule I can see that the race series events really do not match with the HH2 schedule. For example, the half marathon is on the 22nd, but that weekend is supposed to be a 30k LSR for me. The weekend of the 10k is supposed to be an 18k LSR. The distances involved don't seem to match at all.

I suppose I'm looking for validation here, I'd like to do the race series again but am I right in thinking that I need to just forget about it and concentrate on the schedule?

I wouldn't have thought so. The Novices thread will incorporate the race series and they should have the boards plan and possibly the Hal plan so keep an eye out or find last years first post and the plans should be there so copy that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    For recovery the day after a 30-32km run, what would be more beneficial? The 6-10km slowish run or a cycle?

(If a cycle, what distance?).

Thanks.

I would always opt for a recovery run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Have a look at the DCM novices thread from last year and the plans that are recommended in the first post I think it is. The Boards plan should be very similar to what you are looking for but adapted to include the the race series. You could follow that instead of the HH2 but regardless it’s ok to jig plans a bit to include races. You may not always race them as such and use them as training runs or run them at marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Anyone else ever get people asking if they are ok when doing their stretches ?. I have a few times,even today roadside, a car approaching was going very slow, as though at least 'wondering'? :)

I'm guessing you don't live in Dublin!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Run Steep Get High he is an ultra runner and ran in Barkley he also films ultra's and RD some

The Ginger runner and I enjoyed this video of a guy running the Australian Alps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6TbeiKxpSs&t=1347s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Just a few off the top of my head

For short docs and races:

The Olympic Channel
    Ramalho94
    Flotrack

Few Pros:

Mo Farah
    Eilish McColgan
    Gwen Jorgensen

Old and new Races:

Tommytempo1
    TJRunneR
    Ursintacta(Focus on Irish athletes from youth to Senior)
    Bill Fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

How long is a piece of string question.

How long does it take to break in a new pair of shoes? Specifically, a new brand and style?

Current shoes are busted and no longer a fan of the range.

Marathon in 10 days. Enough time to figure out if shoes are suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Djoucer wrote: »

How long does it take to break in a new pair of shoes? Specifically, a new brand and style?

I'd wear them every day, walking and running, between now and then. If they're going to be okay, they'll be okay by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I've been out of action for 6 months due to 2 surgeries.
    I'm now back 'trying' to run and finding it extremely frustrating as my fitness is just 'gone'
    However I seem to be able to run much better on a treadmill at the moment.
    So, although I hate gyms and love the outdoors, I'm debating joining a gym and using the treadmill A LOT to try get my fitness back and then in month or 2 switching back to the roads.
    What do ye think? Will treadmill running transfer easily back to the roads? or should I just persevere with road running until my fitness returns?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Zipppy wrote: »
    I, I'm debating joining a gym and using the treadmill A LOT to try get my fitness back and then in month or 2 switching back to the roads.
    I think you're asking for trouble if you try and force the fitness back, it will take time and unfortunately there are no short cuts. There would be no issues with using the treadmill to slowly get back into running and then switch back to the roads - you just need to build back up gradually

• Advertisement

I think you're asking for trouble if you try and force the fitness back, it will take time and unfortunately there are no short cuts. There would be no issues with using the treadmill to slowly get back into running and then switch back to the roads - you just need to build back up gradually

Hi
    Thanks for response..yes my body is telling me it has to be gradual.

I can do 5k + on treadmill but on the road I cant run for a bus :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Djoucer wrote: »

I find these days shoes don't take any time to break in. If your feet need to get used to a completely different style of shoe, that might take a few runs.

If you wear them at least 2 or 3 times before the marathon and they feel comfortable, you're good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Hi
    Thanks for response..yes my body is telling me it has to be gradual.

I can do 5k + on treadmill but on the road I cant run for a bus :(

Just a matter of building up the road running again, try run/walk until you're comfortable (very hard to do when you were used to running all the time) but perseverance will pay off and you will probably be back to your former fitness levels quicker than you think (even stronger)

Just a matter of building up the road running again, try run/walk until you're comfortable (very hard to do when you were used to running all the time) but perseverance will pay off and you will probably be back to your former fitness levels quicker than you think (even stronger)

I've heard the body's muscles remember.. god I hope so...
    Tried a gym this eve..ugh...i hate gyms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've been out of action for 6 months due to 2 surgeries.
    I'm now back 'trying' to run and finding it extremely frustrating as my fitness is just 'gone'
    However I seem to be able to run much better on a treadmill at the moment.
    So, although I hate gyms and love the outdoors, I'm debating joining a gym and using the treadmill A LOT to try get my fitness back and then in month or 2 switching back to the roads.
    What do ye think? Will treadmill running transfer easily back to the roads? or should I just persevere with road running until my fitness returns?

I was out for 8 months due to surgery. Last Jan, 2017, I started a physio led walk to run routine. Was only allowed out twice a week as it had been knee surgery so I had to continue to build up around the knee too.

The physio recorded me running and gave me tips on how to improve.

It was scary returning to it but go easy on yourself and fitness will return.

Build up slowly and carefully.

You'll get there as I was two years ACL surgery yesterday and am back running pre-surgery level. It did take a hell of a long time though, I twinged by knee up town just now so still not perfect but your confidence will return and you'll be back on the roads.

Patience!

Oh, and a physio if able.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Could anyone recommend some running related channels on YouTube please?

I follow The Athlete Special, Ben Barrows, and Nomad Running Society.

They all just put up new videos after races or interesting training sessions, so you could go a few weeks/months between new videos, then get 5 in a week. They're all fairly non-serious and unstructured, but do also give good insights into the training involved(~4min mile, <15min 5k, <65min half).

I like Ben Borrows ill look into the other channels. Thanks everyone for the recommendations

Looking for some advice from more experienced guys here. At the moment I run 5 days a week with 2 workouts Tuesday and Friday and my long run on a Sunday but every 3rd week it's a Saturday. Currently 70km per week give or take 5km either way. For the next few months it's 5km to 8km races on the cards. I think I can handle 6 days a week but I don't want to up my milage yet. So would it be more beneficial to me to stick at five days or to shorten one of my mid week easy 12 to 13km runs and split it between two days? I do intend on upping my mileage towards the end of this year so I'm hitting 2019 in good shape and it will mean six days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

How accurate is the elevation data with Garmin. I was idly wondering about last week's Great Irish Run yesterday and the second half that was so hilly. The start of the Upper Glen Road showed as 27m and the top, just before turning in to Furry Glen was 29m. A whole 2m incline doesn't seem right. But then when I go down in to Furry Glen, by the pond, which I'd have thought was the lowest point, it shows my elevation as 41m which definitely doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

quickbeam wrote: »
    How accurate is the elevation data with Garmin. I was idly wondering about last week's Great Irish Run yesterday and the second half that was so hilly. The start of the Upper Glen Road showed as 27m and the top, just before turning in to Furry Glen was 29m. A whole 2m incline doesn't seem right. But then when I go down in to Furry Glen, by the pond, which I'd have thought was the lowest point, it shows my elevation as 41m which definitely doesn't seem right.

It really depends on what watch you are using to record the activity and what platform you are using to view it. Some Garmins have barometric altimeters, while others rely on GPS data. Some platforms use their own elevation calculations while others feature or offer elevation correction. If you think your data is wrong, it probably is. Have a look at someone else's activity and you'll get a better idea. I have a Fenix 3 and recently had to recalibrate the altitude because it was way off (run to sea level and set it to zero). Has been perfect since. I think Garmin Connect still has elevation correction options using topographical data.

Advertisement