Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Goose76 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try and do tonight's session at 5k pace and see how I get on.

I struggle with intervals sometimes as I either blow myself out too early by going way faster than 5k pace and then I can't complete the session, or I feel I don't go hard enough and end up feeling like it was a wasted session at the end.

FYI I'm following the '10 K Time Improver Plan' from Irish Runner magazine December 2017 edition :)

I found this table to be really helpful in setting the pace for various intervals/tempos.
    http://www.capitalarearunners.com/training/interval.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

ewc78 wrote:
    Staying in Cork next week for work and looking for a running route. Will be staying in the Radisson which is a bit outside the city I think located just off a dual carriage way. Anyone know that area that could recommend a route?

Blackrock is good. How far do you want to go? Little Island where the Radisson is has plenty of roads suitable for running, but you'd be running around industrial estates and retail parks. Good for 5 or 6 miles though. If you're willing to drive, go through the tunnel, come off the dual carriage way at the first exit and drive to Blackrock Castle car park. It'll be busy at rush hour though. You'll have access to miles of walkway going around the estuary, back towards the City or out the harbour towards Passage direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Goose76 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try and do tonight's session at 5k pace and see how I get on.

I struggle with intervals sometimes as I either blow myself out too early by going way faster than 5k pace and then I can't complete the session, or I feel I don't go hard enough and end up feeling like it was a wasted session at the end.

FYI I'm following the '10 K Time Improver Plan' from Irish Runner magazine December 2017 edition :)
    Intervals can be a hard one to get to grips with and to be honest it's a rare thing to go out and get a session spot on, you get as close as you can, and some days that'll be closer than others.
    Consistency is key, and the more intervals you do, and running in general, the more you'll get a feel for pace and you can adjust accordingly.
    For intervals where you're running at 5k pace or slightly faster, you shouldn't be banjoed after the first one, you should feel relatively okay. It's the latter ones where the suffering should come in.
    If you find you've done the first one too fast and you're feeling it, take a breather followed by a light jog and go back and start again (I know not always possible if time's an issue) or continue from where you left off, as at the time, there's nothing as frustrating as not being able to complete a session (no shame in it either, I'm guessing we've all been there, only happened to me this week☺, killed me, and a session I've done many times)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What criteria is generally used for determining age categories?

I've recently transitioned to the exclusive Over 40 club and was expecting today to be my debut in that category but my results are still down in the 35-39 age group.

Not a huge issue today really as there was no age category prizes but left me curious all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What criteria is generally used for determining age categories?

I've recently transitioned to the exclusive Over 40 club and was expecting today to be my debut in that category but my results are still down in the 35-39 age group.

Not a huge issue today really as there was no age category prizes but left me curious all the same...

You are O40 as soon as you turn 40. It's not like the juveniles where it is your age at the end of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

RayCun wrote: »
    You are O40 as soon as you turn 40. It's not like the juveniles where it is your age at the end of the year

Cheers...that's what I would have thought alright. FWIW I was 39 when I registered so probably just lazy admin by the organisers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RayCun wrote: »

Cheers...that's what I would have thought alright. FWIW I was 39 when I registered so probably just lazy admin by the organisers
    Was it part of a series of races?

If so they will generally take the age on the first race of the season and stick with that for all the others. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to figure out age category prizes for the end of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That's why a lot of entry forms specifically ask for your age at race day

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Anyone know if there’s a name for the running group that meets behind Supervalu in Knocklyon on Thursday evenings?
    I used to be in the area for something else about 7pm and a large group of runners always seemed to be gathering?

I haven’t been there at the time for a while so not sure if its still going or moves somewhere else?

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Anyone know if there’s a name for the running group that meets behind Supervalu in Knocklyon on Thursday evenings?
    I used to be in the area for something else about 7pm and a large group of runners always seemed to be gathering?

I haven’t been there at the time for a while so not sure if its still going or moves somewhere else?

Brothers Pearse!

In summer, the meeting point is Cherryfield park, on the Firhouse road, opposite the GAA club. Meeting every evening, Monday to Thursday. PM me for details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

That not your lot that meets in the Centra carpark opposite The Mill then, Ray?

I see them at weekends I think, often as I'm on the way home after an 8am run.

davedanon wrote: »
    That not your lot that meets in the Centra carpark opposite The Mill then, Ray?

I see them at weekends I think, often as I'm on the way home after an 8am run.

On a Saturday or Sunday? Might be people meeting for a long run? Could be from Sportsworld as well, they sometimes train in Kiltipper park so probably run up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts about running. Big fan of podcasts and I do listen to Marathon Talk, but now finding it a bit repetitive. I'd like to listen to a podcast where I'd learn something, eg discuss different types of training etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Birdsong wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts about running. Big fan of podcasts and I do listen to Marathon Talk, but now finding it a bit repetitive. I'd like to listen to a podcast where I'd learn something, eg discuss different types of training etc.
    I listen to the Marathon Training Academy Podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Running Rogue is one I listen to occasionally. Some episodes go on a bit but for the most part the conversation and topics are informative and interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Steve Magness's podcast is good - 'Magness and Marcus on Coaching'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi Folks,

I took up running in 2013 and completed a few 10k races but never took it any further than that and just let it slide.

Watching the Dublin marathon last year inspired me to take up running again and I have been running consistently now since the beginning of November 2017. I have been taking it very seriously ever since and have always made sure to do things properly and not get carried away by doing too much too soon.

Until recently, I was covering distances of 10k in about 46 mins and completed last month's Great Ireland Run in 43:45 which I was extremely happy with. In the last couple of weeks, I have been increasing my distance by doing a few 8 mile runs which I am hoping to gradually increase to 10 miles as I am considering doing a run commute within the next week or so.
    I have my training schedule ready which does not kick in until July so what I am concerned about is not really knowing what sort of distances I should be covering until I actually start my marathon training schedule. My mid-week runs tend not to follow any particular pattern other than the fact that they gradually increase in distance.
    Does anyone have any tips for how to manage your runs prior to commencing your pre-marathon training schedule? (if that makes sense).
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

coogy wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I took up running in 2013 and completed a few 10k races but never took it any further than that and just let it slide.

Watching the Dublin marathon last year inspired me to take up running again and I have been running consistently now since the beginning of November 2017. I have been taking it very seriously ever since and have always made sure to do things properly and not get carried away by doing too much too soon.

Until recently, I was covering distances of 10k in about 46 mins and completed last month's Great Ireland Run in 43:45 which I was extremely happy with. In the last couple of weeks, I have been increasing my distance by doing a few 8 mile runs which I am hoping to gradually increase to 10 miles as I am considering doing a run commute within the next week or so.
    I have my training schedule ready which does not kick in until July so what I am concerned about is not really knowing what sort of distances I should be covering until I actually start my marathon training schedule. My mid-week runs tend not to follow any particular pattern other than the fact that they gradually increase in distance.
    Does anyone have any tips for how to manage your runs prior to commencing your pre-marathon training schedule? (if that makes sense).
    Thanks!

Hi coogy why not join our novices thread here, you'll get lots of helpful advice and meet like minded people undertaking dublin marathon for the 1st time.

Your 10k time is very impressive. What does your overall week look like at the moment - how many times do you run and what kind of distances? You say a few 8 mile runs but it's not clear if that's one per week or are all your runs 8m now? Without much background it's hard to know but a typical week for base building might be 2 x easy runs, 1 run with 'stuff' and 1 x long slow run. With regards to the 'stuff' this might be tempo or threshold pace intervals... But keep any increases in mileage and/or effort very gradual. And keep the easy runs easy, you could use McMillan to work out the paces you should be running at based on a recent race time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi Ariana,

I'll take it over to the novices thread then and will try to include some more info about what a typical week looks like.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Does your partner (Do your partners, I guess) ever complain about the lack of meat on the bone? Ya know, compared to before you took up this running lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Itziger wrote: »
    Does your partner (Do your partners, I guess) ever complain about the lack of meat on the bone? Ya know, compared to before you took up this running lark.

All the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

No but maybe that's cos i still have plenty of meat on the bone :o I do complaints that i'm always running out the door when he comes in the door though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yup (you might have hit a nerve here!)

Itziger wrote:

A bit, but it beats being fat and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Itziger wrote:

Don't even get me started on that one. Not so much partner. But everyone else...... Grrrrr

Itziger wrote:

Bit of a double entendre there....
    Don't even get me started on that one. Not so much partner. But everyone else...... Grrrrr

The mother keeps trying to feed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Running for Real and Marathon Training Academy are both very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yup (you might have hit a nerve here!)
    I know 😠but I've been meaning to ask it for a while. I'll keep the follow up question for a late night session some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The mother keeps trying to feed me.

I've actually had people ask if I was OK. My mother thought I had some eating disorder or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Thanks for all the podcast recommendations, will give them a listen

Advertisement