Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Itziger wrote: »
    Does your partner (Do your partners, I guess) ever complain about the lack of meat on the bone? Ya know, compared to before you took up this running lark.
    When people tell me I am looking well now, it usually means I have put on a few kilos. So I interpret it that I need to watch the diet. Still better than the 20 Kg extra I was carrying 10 years ago.
    Partner knows better by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

The mother keeps trying to feed me.

Such an Irish mammy thing, isn't it?
    :P I only see my parents 3 or 4 times a year now, so i fully embrace the homecooking bulk feeding operation she seems to activate when I am around

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Hi folks

Quick question please, i am running 4/5 times a week and basing my runs on pace. I just want to make sure they make sense or if anyone has feedback:

Sunday: LSR with a buggy 7 miles @ 10. 25 miles/ per minute (building up all the time)
    Monday: Rest
    Tues: 3.5 miles @ 9.25 miles/ per minute
    Wed: Intervals 12 x 0.25 miles @ 7.25 miles/ per minute 1 minute rest.
    Thursday: 3.5 miles @ 9.25 miles/ per minute
    Fri: rest or 3.5 miles @ 10.25 miles/ per minute
    Sat: rest.

Only started the intervals so playing around with it a bit. I have signed up for a 10k race in Aug, trying to get best time possible obviously. Im good at pacing myself there doesnt be much fluctuation on the speed. Only on the LSR do i have a buggy now. The midweek runs are dictated by luch time/ before work runs.

Cheers
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Graham1882 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Only started the intervals so playing around with it a bit. I have signed up for a 10k race in Aug, trying to get best time possible obviously. Im good at pacing myself there doesnt be much fluctuation on the speed. Only on the LSR do i have a buggy now. The midweek runs are dictated by luch time/ before work runs.

Could you do fit in a longer LSR (10 miles) without the buggy on Saturday/mid-week, and then some easy buggy miles on Sunday? What, if any, other races have you done and at what times? What is your target for the 10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Singer wrote:
    Could you do fit in a longer LSR (10 miles) without the buggy on Saturday/mid-week, and then some easy buggy miles on Sunday? What, if any, other races have you done and at what times? What is your target for the 10k?

Cheers Singer, to be honest building up to 10 miles at the moment. Going that long without a buggy not an option at the moment with the little ones at home.

The only other race was the 5k Great Run last month in 26.06 . I am aiming for sub 50 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Not sure if there's a specific thread for this one but does anyone have any thoughts on continuing your marathon training schedule while on holiday abroad?

I've signed up for the DCM but I'll be away in Portugal for 2 weeks from end of July. I fully intend to brining my running gear with me but I'm not sure how it's going to pan out, especially in that sort of heat. Don't think I can afford to miss out of a whole 2 weeks of running, being realistic about it.

Anyone any tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

coogy wrote: »
    Not sure if there's a specific thread for this one but does anyone have any thoughts on continuing your marathon training schedule while on holiday abroad?

I've signed up for the DCM but I'll be away in Portugal for 2 weeks from end of July. I fully intend to brining my running gear with me but I'm not sure how it's going to pan out, especially in that sort of heat. Don't think I can afford to miss out of a whole 2 weeks of running, being realistic about it.

Anyone any tips/suggestions?

Thanks!
    Don't fret about it,you will have nearly 3 months to prepare after your holidays.Saying that,I always get up at 6am on holidays,before it gets too hot and run 11/12 miles.Marathon training or not.It is great to be back and have it done before the family rise.If that doesn't suit you,find a good gym,and slog it out on the treadmill.Enjoy the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Don't fret about it,you will have nearly 3 months to prepare after your holidays.Saying that,I always get up at 6am on holidays,before it gets too hot and run 11/12 miles.Marathon training or not.It is great to be back and have it done before the family rise.If that doesn't suit you,find a good gym,and slog it out on the treadmill.Enjoy the holidays.

Kerrylad1, I'm an early riser too and last year in Lanzarote, I was up at least 2 hours before everyone else! :)
    Hopefully, they'll be enjoying their lie-ins this year as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Is there any 10 round numbers table this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Safiri wrote: »
    Is there any 10 round numbers table this year?

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057825024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Amyone know of any decent training calendar apps?

Do people just use Google or Outlook calendar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Anyone know what causes a stitch? Got a bad one on Saturday morning, running first thing on an empty stomach. It started on the left, i was running very slow, stopped to stretch, walked a couple of times, after about 15-20 minutes it moved to the right hand side... I don't get them often so it's not a big concern but just wondering if anyone knows anything more about them than I do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Would you run with a headache? I've had a headache since yesterday evening, it goes for a bit when I take nuerofen and comes back after a while. Would fresh air cure me or would pounding the pavement make it worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Lazare wrote: »
    Amyone know of any decent training calendar apps?

Do people just use Google or Outlook calendar?

I used the garmin connect one for planning my training last year, I liked it. You can set up workouts (intervals, tempos etc etc) and then assign them to dates on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Would you run with a headache? I've had a headache since yesterday evening, it goes for a bit when I take nuerofen and comes back after a while. Would fresh air cure me or would pounding the pavement make it worse?

I probably would but be prepared to stop if it’s making it worse. Are you hydrated enough? That’s what my main headaches are from if not hormonal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I probably would but be prepared to stop if it’s making it worse. Are you hydrated enough? That’s what my main headaches are from if not hormonal!
    Might actually be dehydration, I've been finding it difficult to get the water into me lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kellygirl wrote: »

I had similar problems last year and was advised to try using Zero effervescents. Got the tubes of them in elverys for 3 or 4 quid. About 400ml glass of water, drop in and drink any 45 min before I go run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I had similar problems last year and was advised to try using Zero effervescents. Got the tubes of them in elverys for 3 or 4 quid. About 400ml glass of water, drop in and drink any 45 min before I go run

I like to keep it simple. Have a 1 litre bottle of water, add 6 teaspoons of sugar a half teaspoon of salt topped off with a big squeeze of a fresh lemon. That is pretty much all the electrolytes, hydration and carbohydrates you will find in a sports drink with electrolytes with added vitamins but much cheaper and healthier. It's is exactly what they give you in hospital in the form of a saline IV drip. The mixture is made specifically to rehydrate you. It doesn't taste bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Safiri wrote: »
    I like to keep it simple. Have a 1 litre bottle of water, add 6 teaspoons of sugar a half teaspoon of salt topped off with a big squeeze of a fresh lemon. That is pretty much all the electrolytes, hydration and carbohydrates you will find in a sports drink with electrolytes with added vitamins but much cheaper and healthier. It's is exactly what they give you in hospital in the form of a saline IV drip. The mixture is made specifically to rehydrate you. It doesn't taste bad either.

True. I have to talk to my dad too. He was a decent cyclist back in the 60's and was a great man for researching the benefits of different drinks. I remember concoctions of coffee, glucose, honey, lemon and water! Rocket fuel which I would use now only that running isn't conducive to carrying a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

ariana` wrote: »
    Anyone know what causes a stitch? Got a bad one on Saturday morning, running first thing on an empty stomach. It started on the left, i was running very slow, stopped to stretch, walked a couple of times, after about 15-20 minutes it moved to the right hand side... I don't get them often so it's not a big concern but just wondering if anyone knows anything more about them than I do :confused:

Downhills for me. Don't get stitches often but a year or two ago I was getting them for a while and it would kick in at exactly the same stretch of downhill on one of my regular loops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

What's the story with volunteering for DCM? This only mentions volunteering in 2019 so does that mean they're sorted for this year? Do they only accept volunteers from clubs, or can anyone apply?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ariana` wrote: »

No idea, don't get them often. Had a look on Google Scholar, but not knowing the medical term for it Google didn't know what I was on about.

Am reminded of the Dara O' Briain sketch where he asks an audience member (doctor) to explain hiccups*. :pac:

*Diaphragmatic irritation, dontchaknow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

quickbeam wrote: »
    What's the story with volunteering for DCM? This only mentions volunteering in 2019 so does that mean they're sorted for this year? Do they only accept volunteers from clubs, or can anyone apply?

They aren't sorted yet, not even started. I think they usually go through clubs because it is easier to administer, but if you contact the marathon office they might take your name. Or talk to your local club or parkrun and go in with them.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

What are peoples thoughts on double days ?
    1 x 10 mile run or 2 x 6 mile runs in a day.

Ive been doing double days and find them easier to recover from as well as being more enjoyable as I get to run twice in one day, but speaking with some runners they would say you lose alot of benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RIGOLO wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on double days ?
    1 x 10 mile run or 2 x 6 mile runs in a day.

Ive been doing double days and find them easier to recover from as well as being more enjoyable as I get to run twice in one day, but speaking with some runners they would say you lose alot of benefits.

There are benefits to doing long and medium long runs, that you don't get from two short runs. But you can do some of each, longer runs some days, shorter doubles on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

How many days a week do you guys normally run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Zipppy wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Zipppy wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

And double days for you too right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

And double days for you too right?

Occasionally, but not nearly as many as I used to.

Advertisement