Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    For me when I move into double digits (10M/75mins) I'm thinking medium, 15+/2hrs is getting into long territory.
    I'd be the same but my dividing line is 16 miles. 16 miles seems to be approximately the starting point for weekend long runs in the marathon plans I've followed, whereas the mid-week medium long runs tend to top-out at 15 miles. Those mid-week 15 milers were always a hardship. Give me 2 x 9 miles, any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

anything under 18 miles isnt s long run

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Surely it depends what you're training for? If I'm in a 10k block I consider my weekend 14 miler "long"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

A 10k is a long run to a beginner..
    All depends on your age, fitness, running experience, and what your goals are...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Zipppy wrote: »
    A 10k is a long run to a beginner..
    All depends on your age, fitness, running experience, and what your goals are...

a run up the stairs is a long run if ur burstin and dont make it..op asked when does a short/medium run become a long run..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

a run up the stairs is a long run if ur burstin and dont make it..op asked when does a short/medium run become a long run..
    Particularly when you have to drop-out half-way up the stairs.
    <there are so many hidden meanings in this post, I've lost count>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The answer is obvious. A medium long run and a long run are both long runs. Short long runs (an hour?) are long runs too. Everything else is a NLR. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Ran my first ever track 800m race last night in 2:28, finished within 1 secs of 2 lads of similar age but who are 1min faster over 5k. Also done the 3k in 10.20, again I was faster than 2 lads and less than 20s off runners who are >1min faster over 5km.

If these lads can do 16:30-16:45 5ks and I can only do 17:45s what am I doing wrong (concentrating on the wrong event maybe!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jamule wrote: »
    Ran my first ever track 800m race last night in 2:28, finished within 1 secs of 2 lads of similar age ...these lads can do 16:30-16:45 5ks ... what am I doing wrong

I think the question is, what are they doing wrong in the 800?

RayCun wrote: »
    I think the question is, what are they doing wrong in the 800?

I only know what i done! (just ate dinner, out of car straight into race but that could be a good thing!)

• Advertisement

jamule wrote:
    If these lads can do 16:30-16:45 5ks and I can only do 17:45s what am I doing wrong (concentrating on the wrong event maybe!!)

All joking aside we can all run fast but for the 5k, speed endurance is key.

This is all bursting my 800m bubble. :rolleyes:

Murph_D wrote:
    This is all bursting my 800m bubble.

Haha not atall. You're going great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have a 10k race next weekend and I'm hoping to go for a sub 50 PB.

Running wise this past few months I have been ticking away, building mileage for DCM later in the year, but while I havent been following a training plan as such I have had an eye on this race with thoughts of the PB. My last 4 Saturday runs were 12k, 22k, 5k and 19k, with the midweek runs mostly all 5k's.

On Wednesday I did 8k at my goal pace, now I am wondering what I should do tomorrow. Should I focus on pace and do another 8k at racepace? Or should I do a longer slow run, and then a final 8k early next week?

I have a 10k race next weekend and I'm hoping to go for a sub 50 PB.

Running wise this past few months I have been ticking away, building mileage for DCM later in the year, but while I havent been following a training plan as such I have had an eye on this race with thoughts of the PB. My last 4 Saturday runs were 12k, 22k, 5k and 19k, with the midweek runs mostly all 5k's.

On Wednesday I did 8k at my goal pace, now I am wondering what I should do tomorrow. Should I focus on pace and do another 8k at racepace? Or should I do a longer slow run, and then a final 8k early next week?

How did you get on with that Weds goal pace run? If you nailed it, I suspect you have underestimated yourself.

If I were you (and I’m not),I’d be looking at all easy until race day mostly. Strides the day before. Maybe a steady-to-pace mile on the Tues - whatever works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

A general running question.

Where does a medium long run end and a long run start?
    Is a medium long run a given % range of your targeted long run?

Perhaps a long run for a 5k, 10k, HM plan is relative to the target distance too?

Thanks

For me between 1:30 and 2 Hrs is MLR anything above 2hrs is a long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

ger664 wrote: »
    For me between 1:30 and 2 Hrs is MLR anything above 2hrs is a long run

Sounds about right to me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Murph_D wrote: »
    How did you get on with that Weds goal pace run?

It was fine, I was comfortably inside the pace actually and considered going on and doing the last 2k just to pick up the PB. In the end though I stuck with the original plan and stopped at 8k, I could hear advice from this forum in my head, "no point racing in training", "keep the main thing the main thing etc etc".

A little tired in the legs yesterday but nothing untoward. I think I'll do a slow run today though!

It was fine, I was comfortably inside the pace actually and considered going on and doing the last 2k just to pick up the PB. In the end though I stuck with the original plan and stopped at 8k, I could hear advice from this forum in my head, "no point racing in training", "keep the main thing the main thing etc etc".

To be honest running 8k at goal pace is too much for 10k training. Would be better to split it up into intervals in future. That's much too hard a session. Sounds like you're in decent shape though. Just be careful as that kind of training isn't sustainable as you get quicker.

Well thats what I thought, just no idea where the speed is coming from!

• Advertisement

ok..as some of you might have seen from previous posts..i was 6+ months off the road for 2 surgeries..back running 2 months now...im finding it very difficult.. can just about do a slow 5k..this is mad I was flying 10ks up till last Sept..
    Anyone been off road for a period and how long did it take to get fit again? it's so frustrating..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ok..as some of you might have seen from previous posts..i was 6+ months off the road for 2 surgeries..back running 2 months now...im finding it very difficult.. can just about do a slow 5k..this is mad I was flying 10ks up till last Sept..
    Anyone been off road for a period and how long did it take to get fit again? it's so frustrating..

I've had 2 babies in the last 3 years - 5 months off for #1 and 10 weeks off for #2. Much easier coming back after the shorter absence second time around - after #1 I found it really difficult trying to build any endurance in the first 6 months back.

I've had 2 babies in the last 3 years - 5 months off for #1 and 10 weeks off for #2. Much easier coming back after the shorter absence second time around - after #1 I found it really difficult trying to build any endurance in the first 6 months back.

Thank you...so I should just stick with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thank you...so I should just stick with it?

I spent 8 months plus on sidelines cause of a knee operation, like rainbow kirby took me good 6 months before I felt any improvement in my running again. The stick with it is a question only you can answer.

Never been injured to that degree but had a baby last September. Best advice I got was put the watch aside and try to just enjoy the running for a period of time. Forget about paces and times. In saying that I did it for two weeks before getting coaching. The coaching was the turning point to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

1. Depends on what you mean by "fit"
    2. Also depends on what your base fitness was before
    3. Also depends on your current goal, attitude, approach and reality

6months completely off including recovery from 2 surgeries, congratulations on getting up to 5k runs again. It must have felt like starting from minus scratch

Back to 1. If fit means being ready to run the same as your last 10k, how long did it take to get in shape for that? What was your starting point? I've barely run the last few years and am back running OK distances but would not come within an asses roar of my 10k time. I'm back 4weeks and that would probably be 4-5 months away. Truth is I don't even expect to be in shape to train the way I want or near the goal plan for 2 months. Best thing here is to set some milestones to getting back. You hit 5k already. Is the next one a certain 5k result or just hitting the 10k distance? I agree with swashbuckler forget about paces and times. Just set some realistic smaller milestone and be happy when you check them off. My recent 5k parkrun (first run event in 5 years) is some 3+ mins slower than an old pb. Yet I consider it my current pb. Everything I chip off it I will celebrate as if it is a new pb. Just keep plugging away consistently.

On 2 It really is about what you have in the tank before the time off. Even elite runners or players of all sports lose a few seconds or the edge of reaction times etc after time off. They usually get back quicker as there is a massive volume of work in the bank consistently over years to build again from. The body may not be able to output what you demand straight away but it remembers the hours you put in before. I had a pretty decent volume of other stuff in the tank over the years so while the first few weeks of running felt alien and horrible, I pressed on, built the volume sensibly and though not fit to train yet, in a good mental space. My first milestone was to simply run for X time at a heart rate no higher than Y. It felt really good to hit that simple goal (that I could do in my sleep before). The work you did before will still stand, be patient and build slowly.

On 3. I decided to run a parkrun but before I did it accepted that the result and time was irrelevant. Just do it and see what happened. I went off too hard and ran out of steam at 3k. I kind of expected that so it was no surprise. It still felt great to be doing an event and getting as much as I could from my current state. I'm already looking forward to beating that first parkrun (the real goal is 11 months away). Accept that you can do a slow 5k now, a slow 6k is better. A slow 10k better again. Then every bit you chip away feels better again. Bury your ego. Give yourself time to build. Enjoy the journey to learning as you did before. Celebrate the milestones. You will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

The advanced search option seems to be on the blink for me (that and replying to PMs) so I can't find the Hansons thread if there is one. Quick question then....
    I'm thinking of giving this a go. Just to vary a bit. I've found a free online plan and I'm just wondering is that all I need. Seems a bit strange if they're trying to sell a book and online stuff to put the plan up for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Itziger wrote: »
    The advanced search option seems to be on the blink for me (that and replying to PMs) so I can't find the Hansons thread if there is one. Quick question then....
    I'm thinking of giving this a go. Just to vary a bit. I've found a free online plan and I'm just wondering is that all I need. Seems a bit strange if they're trying to sell a book and online stuff to put the plan up for free.

I think there are some slight differences in terms of mileage between the book plans and what's online but the basic structure is the same.

In case you haven't found it already, the calculator is here: https://hansonscoachingservices.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php Note that the strength workouts aren't accurate for half training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I had knee surgery in April 2016. I had to visit the physio regularly to test the knee and do check-ups to ensure I was on target. It was a very slow recovery and I completely underestimated it.

Jan 2017 I was told I could start a walk to run program. It was really scary but I stuck with it yet at the start I was only running I think twice a week as I had to stick with the exercises.

My confidence took the biggest knock. Returning to running was scary as I was afraid of injury/damage/getting a kick.

Definitely stick with it. Be patient and be good to yourself. Your fitness will return but go easy on yourself.

In July 2017 I went to the physio for the last time as I was told I could return to the club as interval training would be better for the knee as it provides more rest than doing a few miles.

Up until recently I was running 6 days a week so fitness was back and the knee didn't fall off. I did the Cork HM on Sunday and had a great day.

As others have said ditch the watch and get out and enjoy yourself. Build up slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm planning to follow Hal Higdon's half marathon novice 2 plan for a half I have at the end of the summer. Week 9 of the plan has a 10k race for the long run that week. It has 10m the week before and 11 mile the week after as long runs. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do a 10k race that weekend (as in there might not be one available for me to race).
    What should I do in place of the 10k race? Should I try and race a 10k on my own, which is never really the same as an actual race. Should I do my lsr as 10k or should it be longer?

Advertisement