Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

you'll be fine, some of us have been sitting at a desk for 20 years and are fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm office based and the 2 main things I do are 1) I go the long way to meetings, the toilet, canteen, etc and 2) I'm on a lot of calls so got a Bluetooth headset which allows be to go for a wander or walk up and down during calls.

Making a conscious effort to sip water all day helps too. You have to keep getting up to go to water cooler. But then also need to get up periodically to pee. Leads to lots of little leg stretchers.

(I'm also lucky enough to have a desk that I can stand or sit at, and I try to stand up for the last while before I leave to run home)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Not so much a random running question but advice on shoe.

My trusty Brooks GTS have been good to me since I switched to then before DCM 2016 training done the whole gait analysis etc.

Now doing more shorter/speed work and thinking of getting a shoe more accustomed to that. Wise? Or stick to what I know works?

Cheers

C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a pair for easy runs and a lighter pair for faster work/long races, and a different pair for short races.

Or do a BeepBeep and buy _all_ the shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Similar to what Ray says mix it up. I have about six pairs that I alternate. Keep the feet guessing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

On a similar note, I have my Asics running shoes since November last year and since then have covered approx 350 miles in total, possibly a bit more than that.

When is a good time to switch to a new pair, considering I'll be doing the DCM in October?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Similar to what Ray says mix it up. I have about six pairs that I alternate. Keep the feet guessing. ;)

The Imelda Marcos of Munster athletics!!!

skyblue46 wrote: »

Leinster has him well beaten there

coogy wrote: »
    On a similar note, I have my Asics running shoes since November last year and since then have covered approx 350 miles in total, possibly a bit more than that.

When is a good time to switch to a new pair, considering I'll be doing the DCM in October?

Cheers!

Instead of having one pair that you wear to death then replace, get another pair now and alternate. Always have two on the go, an older pair and a younger pair.
    Both pairs will last longer, and you will never be caught between wearing a pair that is worn out and a pair that is brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I usually have about four pairs on rotation. Occasionally go out in odd shoes though! :o

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    I usually have about four pairs on rotation. Occasionally go out in odd shoes though! :o

I did that a few weeks ago!

People thought it was a fashion statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I've 10 pairs at the moment. :)

skyblue46 wrote:

Had to Google that. Haha. Showing my youthful age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks all; bit of shopping required then....will probably stick to Brooks but go for something a bit more suited to the quicker stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Thanks all; bit of shopping required then....will probably stick to Brooks but go for something a bit more suited to the quicker stuff.

there are some decent prices on sportshoes.com for brooks at the moment (i was alerted to by the "What shoes are you wearing" thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

How are ye finding running in the heat ? 23 degrees when I ran this morn
    .melting...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is there such a thing as a runners suncream?
    I'm finding training in the heat this summer results in sweat running into my eyes and stinging because its mixed with suncream. I've ordered a headband for that 80s look online in the hope it will prevent it a bit.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Zipppy wrote: »
    .melting...

Ran at lunchtime today. Was sweating bullets by mile 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

coogy wrote: »
    Ran at lunchtime today. Was sweating bullets by mile 3!

Ran at lunchtime yesterday 5 miles in 26 degrees, not too bad. Elevated heart rate and sweaty.

Its 30 degrees out there (Limerick) right now so I'm option for the paddling pool after work with the kids instead

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rossi7

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm finding training in the heat this summer results in sweat running into my eyes and stinging because its mixed with suncream. I've ordered a headband for that 80s look online in the hope it will prevent it a bit.
    Image sunscream, fairly expensive stuff but I've never had any issue's with it covering my five head

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote:
    Is there such a thing as a runners suncream? I'm finding training in the heat this summer results in sweat running into my eyes and stinging because its mixed with suncream. I've ordered a headband for that 80s look online in the hope it will prevent it a bit.

Headband or cap to protect the forehead and head. Suncream everywhere else including the nose and cheeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

hoping to do hill sprints this evening, may have to re-consider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Did long run at 4pm on monday. Was tough, ran slower and slightly shorter than planned (but hit my time on feet target).

Also for first time ever took water on training run.

Then did recovery at 6.30am on tuesday.

Have tag at 645 tonight. Gonna melt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

crisco10 wrote: »
    Did long run at 4pm on monday. Was tough, ran slower and slightly shorter than planned (but hit my time on feet target).

Also for first time ever took water on training run.

Then did recovery at 6.30am on tuesday.

Have tag at 645 tonight. Gonna melt.

I'm so happy to read this(sorry you're finding it tough :pac: ). Only getting back into it here so runs are v short...but even they're a struggle. The heat! Mind you in sleeping like a lamb! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Zipppy wrote: »
    .melting...

10km at 10 this morning.

Very tough going. Very few other runners about. :D

Need about 15 mins after getting home before getting in the shower. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭peter4918

Supercell wrote: »

If you rub Vaseline across your eyebrows it does a pretty good job of keeping sweat and sun cream out of your eyes. Until you forget it’s on later in the run and rub your forehead with your t-shirt and wipe it off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Zebra3 wrote: »
    10km at 10 this morning.

Very tough going. Very few other runners about. :D

Need about 15 mins after getting home before getting in the shower. :pac:

I try to get out between 5-6am. Cool enough then
    For Runs during the day its a cold shower afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Probably a bit of a stupid question about the heat -- I'm doing the Docklands 5k tonight. I'm not as hungry as I usually am, due to the heat, but I presume I should just eat as much as I usually would before a race, so I don't end up faint with hunger on the startline?

Or should I just go with appetite levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Probably a bit of a stupid question about the heat -- I'm doing the Docklands 5k tonight. I'm not as hungry as I usually am, due to the heat, but I presume I should just eat as much as I usually would before a race, so I don't end up faint with hunger on the startline?

Or should I just go with appetite levels?

Would prob have something light (plenty of veg) most of us forget how much water intake actually comes from our feed and dont tend to compensate so you could go into race dehydrated as well as not fueled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Would prob have something light (plenty of veg) most of us forget how much water intake actually comes from our feed and dont tend to compensate so you could go into race dehydrated as well as not fueled

Thanks! I had a lot of salad for lunch, and in our very hot office we've been guzzling water, so fingers crossed that'll be enough. I'll have my usual banana and hope for the best.

Slow down in the heat, is that the advice (or ignore it :-))

How re you getting on?? Hope Babyscone & his mum are doing well?

Advertisement