Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hey all, first post here so not sure if it's the right thread.
    Male runner, early 40s, just started about 5 months ago,
    Problem is with my nipples, I always wear technical polyester tops but a 10k will draw blood and takes a few days to recover, showering is painful afterwards, I enjoy the runs and don't want to cut down from about 5 a week (maybe 45k) but this problem is killing me, this morning I had to come home after 6k

any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Body glide is your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Problem is with my nipples, I always wear technical polyester tops but a 10k will draw blood and takes a few days to recover, showering is painful afterwards, I enjoy the runs and don't want to cut down from about 5 a week (maybe 45k) but this problem is killing me, this morning I had to come home after 6k

any advice

Only happens me the very odd time, a small drop of vaseline helps to limit any friction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cotton wool held on with micropore tape

Body glide is your answer

only available online??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'd say any good runner shops will have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

only available online??

You'll get it in any decent running shop. If you're in Dublin try Run Logic, Runhub, Amphibian King or Runzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hypafix physio tape is pretty cheap off ebay, I use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Lanacane from Boots also does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

any advice
    Meditrans tape (blue roll not green) works for me. €2 or €3 in most Chemists. I had a couple of issues with it during the very hot weather but all in all it solves the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

All good suggestions, another one is to try a compression top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

only available online??

I have ordered it into Elverys in the past and collected in-store. Cycling shop will have it too.

Lanacane from Boots also does the job
    Thanks for all the replies folks, I’ve given this stuff a try, boots is all I have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone any experience of Extensor Tendonitis?

Assuming I RICE well, how long should I expect for it to heal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Lazare wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of Extensor Tendonitis?

Assuming I RICE well, how long should I expect for it to heal?

Lesson #1 Don't diagnose yourself via Google :o

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

I'm just about to change up my Asics Nimbus 20's and just wanted to see if anyone had experience of switching to or from the Kayano 24's/25's?
    I know everyone is different and keep to what you know etc but I can't see any deals on Nimbus and there are a few on the Kayano's

The Kayano's are a more stability shoe but the reviews say that they would also suit a neutral runner as the support isn't too much

Would the support and amount of cushioning/gel be similar to the Nimbus?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Any recommendations for preparing for the upcoming cross country season?? Long reps maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for preparing for the upcoming cross country season?? Long reps maybe??

What is you background training wise?

What is you background training wise?

I generally work in blocks of 6-8 weeks, early part of year was focus on a 10k in May, then the track season, now I'm training for Dublin half. I've been told my current programme (tempo, intervals, easy runs and long run) would work well for cross country season so I might try county novice after Dublin Half.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I generally work in blocks of 6-8 weeks, early part of year was focus on a 10k in May, then the track season, now I'm training for Dublin half. I've been told my current programme (tempo, intervals, easy runs and long run) would work well for cross country season so I might try county novice after Dublin Half.

Sounds like you are on the right track alright;

Hills and Fartleks can be good sessions as well and get you focusing on effort over splits. Given the nature of every course is different and any given day with conditions being able to handle rhythm changes is important and having a good grasp of effort. Would advise a bit of work on the grass as you will work stabilizing muscles that get a free pass alot of the time on track and road

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are on the right track alright;

Hills and Fartleks can be good sessions as well and get you focusing on effort over splits. Given the nature of every course is different and any given day with conditions being able to handle rhythm changes is important and having a good grasp of effort. Would advise a bit of work on the grass as you will work stabilizing muscles that get a free pass alot of the time on track and road

Thanks for advice! I do 90% of my training on the grass;i might be ignoring some muscles i need for the road ;) thinking of doing intervals on track to change it up a bit. Most of my intervals are 800mx8. I was always told long reps are best for cross country prep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Can one be trained to push oneself through the 'discomfort barrier'. I had another 30 seconds,maybe more in me Sunday (in a 5K),I just couldn't make myself go for it though, which was a shame. I just didn't want to go for it, I was 'afraid of the pain'....shame :( Can I train myself to go for it next time ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Can one be trained to push oneself through the 'discomfort barrier'. I had another 30 seconds,maybe more in me Sunday (in a 5K),I just couldn't make myself go for it though, which was a shame. I just didn't want to go for it, I was 'afraid of the pain'....shame :( Can I train myself to go for it next time ?

Can you distract yourself? I try things like counting -- I tell myself I'll just count to 20 and then I can slow down, and then (ha, ha!) after that I make myself do another 20 secs etc ... break it down into bite-sized, delicious pain-chunks? :)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Can you distract yourself? I try things like counting -- I tell myself I'll just count to 20 and then I can slow down, and then (ha, ha!) after that I make myself do another 20 secs etc ... break it down into bite-sized, delicious pain-chunks? :)
    That's worth a try,something that I need to work on....even where my times have been good,been stopping a lot in latter stages,unable to deal with the 'pain',need to work on my relationship with pain :) Counting it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Spirogyra wrote:
    Can one be trained to push oneself through the 'discomfort barrier'. I had another 30 seconds,maybe more in me Sunday (in a 5K),I just couldn't make myself go for it though, which was a shame. I just didn't want to go for it, I was 'afraid of the pain'....shame Can I train myself to go for it next time ?

Do you run interval sessions as part of your training?

Do you run interval sessions as part of your training?
    I attend club training usually once a week. They would do all forms in their turn. You think I should focus on intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Spirogyra wrote:
    I attend club training usually once a week. They would do all forms in their turn. You think I should focus on intervals?

Intervals certainly help embrace the pain. The single biggest factor in me being able to push myself harder in races has been the interval training. The hard part is knowing when, how and what intervals to run..

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

If you're interested, I'd recommend you read 'Endure', by Alex Hutchinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The way to train yourself to go for it is to go for it and not die :D

Could be in a race or in a training session, get to the pain point and keep going. The more annoyed you are by this failure, the more motivated you'll be to not fail next time.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    The way to train yourself to go for it is to go for it and not die :D

Could be in a race or in a training session, get to the pain point and keep going. The more annoyed you are by this failure, the more motivated you'll be to not fail next time.

Gonna play devils advocate on this one,

Why is motivating yourself to not fail seen as a positive? A person can run in there comfort zone and never fail a day in there life.

Embrace failure. Try new approaches. Failure is only a negative thing if we don't get anything from it. You will never know your limits till you attempt to push past them

In terms of training it there are plenty of ways that people do this. Hard interval sessions can be one aspsect as they put you into that realm of discomfort to get you used it it. I know some coaches who use hard core circuit work to get that level of discomfort and having to continue

Manipulating aspects of intervals as well (say running middle section of a rep at beyond race pace just to tire the legs and have you working to maintain pace while fatigued in the remainder of the rep) or ludicrously short recoveries to simulate race fatigue (I remember running 5x400m @ 1500m race pace off 30 second recoveries before as a way to simulate race conditions for those last 2 reps)

Mental tricks in training such as finding ways of coping with fatigue are something which should be practices also (things like focusing on form and resisting influence of fatigue)

Advertisement