Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I had the same question earlier in the week. Unfortunately it has been taken out of my hands as I have to go to a funeral on Saturday, so it'll be 10 miles at PMP for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers KC, much appreciated. 13 miles at MP it is. Aim is to run best possible marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Does anyone who takes sleeping tablets feel that they have a negative effect on their running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ososlo wrote: »
    Does anyone who takes sleeping tablets feel that they have a negative effect on their running?

I assume you don't take them while running...

davedanon wrote: »
    I assume you don't take them while running...

Ah so that's where I've been going wrong all those years. ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ah so that's where I've been going wrong all those years. ..

It would explain your username too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Just wondering what peoples view on optimal/acceptable % of max heart rate @ marathon Pace?

Ran the Dublin Half today @ mp I'm hoping to run the full at and feel I was over reaching. Average HR was 91%.

Not sure if I could sustain that over the full distance! Maybe with the benefit of a good taper things could be different. Ran Barcelona in March @ 86%.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples view on optimal/acceptable % of max heart rate @ marathon Pace?

Ran the Dublin Half today @ mp I'm hoping to run the full at and feel I was over reaching. Average HR was 91%.

Not sure if I could sustain that over the full distance! Maybe with the benefit of a good taper things could be different. Ran Barcelona in March @ 86%.

Any thoughts?

91% of maxHR for a marathon is very high but not completely out of the question. It would be quite an exceptional run though, and you would risk blowing up late on.

When I first broke 3 hours, I averaged 90% (171, with a max HR of ~190), and it was the hardest I ever managed to run a marathon, never to be repeated.

Having said that, I would advice against pacing yourself off the HR and would always advocate running by feel (you can always check the HR from time to time, more for assurance than pacing).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Overtraining

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

1) Are there any aerobic developments with easy runs lasting less than 30 minutes for an experienced runner?

2) Is there any point in running doubles for someone who focuses on 5km, running less than 50mpw? For example, two 4 miles easy/moderate in comparison to one easy/moderate 8 miler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1) Are there any aerobic developments with easy runs lasting less than 30 minutes for an experienced runner?

2) Is there any point in running doubles for someone who focuses on 5km, running less than 50mpw? For example, two 4 miles easy/moderate in comparison to one easy/moderate 8 miler.
    I wouldn't think there is any benefit to splitting an 8 mile run. Even from a lifestyle perspective, it's counter-productive. You'd really want to be constantly pressed for time to find a reason to do this, e.g. Can't run early morning or late in the evening. As for the aerobic question, just run at an appropriate pace - or are you looking for something more specific? Anaerobic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I would think the answer to both questions would be "no"!! That said I'd imagine you could still get active recovery benefit from a 20min run... I am open to correction on that?

ger664 wrote: »
    Overtraining

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

91% of maxHR for a marathon is very high but not completely out of the question. It would be quite an exceptional run though, and you would risk blowing up late on.

When I first broke 3 hours, I averaged 90% (171, with a max HR of ~190), and it was the hardest I ever managed to run a marathon, never to be repeated.

Having said that, I would advice against pacing yourself off the HR and would always advocate running by feel (you can always check the HR from time to time, more for assurance than pacing).

Cheers TBF. I suppose I'm hoping my actual HR will be lower after a full training cycle and taper. Felt under the weather all last week so fingers crossed I'll recover a bit. Think I'll ease off a bit as I'm feeling the effects of the 70 mile weeks more than I have before..... getting older sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

On the first question - if you're talking 'aerobic development' with 'easy runs' and 'experienced runner' then there is little to none but that depends what you mean by aerobic development. Dr Billy's post about the benefits of 20 min shakeouts is valid and also there are some structural benefits to runs shorter than 30 mins. And again, if you're coming back from injury or coming back after an end of season break, 20 min easy runs can have a role.

On the second question, I'm surprised at KC's response given that he's an ardent follower of Magness. Magness advocates two 4's over a single 8 for recovery runs and maintenance. Here's Steveo Magnesseeo on that very subject:

'...instead of running 8 miles all at once in the morning at practice, they had to split it into a morning and afternoon run of 4 miles. As a coach, I was initially worried that my runners might not be able to maintain or increase their endurance with such short 4-mile runs. It turns out that my fears were misplaced; athletes not only maintained their endurance, but also increased it. In investigating the effects of running twice per day, it turns out that our old adage, “Get in as many miles as you can in one run before you start adding a second run,” might be wrong.'

There are many reasons why two short doubles are better than the single run. In terms of injury prevention, two shorts, where the intention is to develop one of the runs from say, 4/5 to 8 miles and keep the second run at 4/5 miles makes sense. Both ecoli and I use this sort of approach. If you dive straight into 8 milers after a break you are more likely to suffer with overuse injuries. It also depends on the athlete. A beginner might do 3-4 miles in 35 mins and 8 miles in 80-90 mins. Two 35 min runs would be far safer and better than an 80-90 min run. Although the longer run does have it's place. And that's the key, it depends on what you are trying to do and for whom.

But just to give you some things to think about, here are some bullet points:

Less biomechanical damage
    Replenish glycogen stores twice
    Less oxidative damage
    Double hormonal release - HGH (increase @ 500+% in first 40 mins of a run and then drops to only 40-55% from 40 mins to 60 mins ) and cytochrome c.
    Double stimulus to the cardiovascular system - contributes to sustained adaptations
    Helps clear metabolites that settle in the peripheral circulation.
    At rest, the majority of our blood resides in peripheral venous circulation. Without muscular activity, that blood just sits there, and triggers inflammation. A second run moves that blood out of peripheral circulation and filters out the crap.
    Slow twitch muscles can become detrained. Since they can handle a lot of training, and need it to maintain maximal adaptation, doubles work well, especially if one is up to 60 mins and one is a touch over 35 mins.

But I suspect what we're really talking about is Ososlo, should Ososlo really be doing doubles if she's running less than 50 miles a week. Yes, she most certainly should. Why should she? Ah well, that's a big secret so tough diddies:p

Stazza wrote: »
    On the first question - if you're talking 'aerobic development' with 'easy runs' and 'experienced runner' then there is little to none but that depends what you mean by aerobic development. Dr Billy's post about the benefits of 20 min shakeouts is valid and also there are some structural benefits to runs shorter than 30 mins. And again, if you're coming back from injury or coming back after an end of season break, 20 min easy runs can have a role.

On the second question, I'm surprised at KC's response given that he's an ardent follower of Magness. Magness advocates two 4's over a single 8 for recovery runs and maintenance. Here's Steveo Magnesseeo on that very subject:

'...instead of running 8 miles all at once in the morning at practice, they had to split it into a morning and afternoon run of 4 miles. As a coach, I was initially worried that my runners might not be able to maintain or increase their endurance with such short 4-mile runs. It turns out that my fears were misplaced; athletes not only maintained their endurance, but also increased it. In investigating the effects of running twice per day, it turns out that our old adage, “Get in as many miles as you can in one run before you start adding a second run,” might be wrong.'

There are many reasons why two short doubles are better than the single run. In terms of injury prevention, two shorts, where the intention is to develop one of the runs from say, 4/5 to 8 miles and keep the second run at 4/5 miles makes sense. Both ecoli and I use this sort of approach. If you dive straight into 8 milers after a break you are more likely to suffer with overuse injuries. It also depends on the athlete. A beginner might do 3-4 miles in 35 mins and 8 miles in 80-90 mins. Two 35 min runs would be far safer and better than an 80-90 min run. Although the longer run does have it's place. And that's the key, it depends on what you are trying to do and for whom.

But just to give you some things to think about, here are some bullet points:

Less biomechanical damage
    Replenish glycogen stores twice
    Less oxidative damage
    Double hormonal release - HGH (increase @ 500+% in first 40 mins of a run and then drops to only 40-55% from 40 mins to 60 mins ) and cytochrome c.
    Double stimulus to the cardiovascular system - contributes to sustained adaptations
    Helps clear metabolites that settle in the peripheral circulation.
    At rest, the majority of our blood resides in peripheral venous circulation. Without muscular activity, that blood just sits there, and triggers inflammation. A second run moves that blood out of peripheral circulation and filters out the crap.
    Slow twitch muscles can become detrained. Since they can handle a lot of training, and need it to maintain maximal adaptation, doubles work well, especially if one is up to 60 mins and one is a touch over 35 mins.

But I suspect what we're really talking about is Ososlo, should Ososlo really be doing doubles if she's running less than 50 miles a week. Yes, she most certainly should. Why should she? Ah well, that's a big secret so tough diddies:p

Actually we aren't talking about Ososlo at all Stazza. The guy asked a question and I in good faith answered it. I appreciate your answer on Magness and tbh I'm far too lazy to go digging around to see what else he or anyone else says on the subject. I do however think you could be wrong bringing in Ecoli to back up your argument. I feel like I have a decent enough handle on his philosophy running wise and I'd be pretty surprised if he advocated 4 and 4 doubles over 8- perhaps he could answer for himself on it.

The reality is many of the coaches getting the best results right now are using a very old school approach and the get in as many miles as you can before adding the second is very much part of that type of philosophy - but sure what do I know anyways...

Btw I have been trying to declare a truce with yer stable for a while... Last thing I'm trying to do is take a pop at one of them especially when I was ranting about the exact same thing last week :)

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Actually we aren't talking about Ososlo at all Stazza. The guy asked a question and I in good faith answered it. I appreciate your answer on Magness and tbh I'm far too lazy to go digging around to see what else he or anyone else says on the subject. I do however think you could be wrong bringing in Ecoli to back up your argument. I feel like I have a decent enough handle on his philosophy running wise and I'd be pretty surprised if he advocated 4 and 4 doubles over 8- perhaps he could answer for himself on it.

The reality is many of the coaches getting the best results right now are using a very old school approach and the get in as many miles as you can before adding the second is very much part of that type of philosophy - but sure what do I know anyways...

Btw I have been trying to declare a truce with yer stable for a while... Last thing I'm trying to do is take a pop at one of them especially when I was ranting about the exact same thing last week :)

First off, I'm not bringing in ecoli to back up my argument; when he's coming back off a break, he uses the short(ish) doubles to get things kick-started. Yes, it would be very interesting to see where ecoli stands on the 2x4 for easy/maintenance runs over an 8 recovery run, especially given his recent post on Tbl''s log that, IIRC, you gave a thanks. Now, that's not me trying to rile you or anything. I'm just stating facts and keeping them within the 'boundaries' of the original post.

On the old school approach of the longer single before the second run is dropped in, again, it depends on the runner's experience, ability, goals etc, time of the year and what the purpose of the run is, injury history - there are so many different things that need to be taken into account. But I think you'll find ecoli agrees with me on the 'going long too soon' as he's well aware of the overuse problems associated with this approach - he's mentioned it several times.

I didn't mention your name with regards to Ososlo. I assumed the op meant Ososlo given that she is probably the only person on Boards running doubles and is running less than 50 miles a week - and then with the added thing of training for 5k etc. I didn't think for one minute that you were having a go at Ososlo: even given our differences, I think you're more of a man than to be attacking women etc. On the truce thing, for me there was never a problem, even with your stables and crest stuff etc - all of that merely amused me. But, I'm not here to break any truce. May the truce last and I hope you break 2:40 in Dublin/Frankfurt. And it was great to see you back racing last night. Good man.

On the second question, I'm surprised at KC's response given that he's an ardent follower of Magness. Magness advocates two 4's over a single 8 for recovery runs and maintenance. If you dive straight into 8 milers after a break you are more likely to suffer with overuse injuries. It also depends on the athlete. But I suspect what we're really talking about is Ososlo, should Ososlo really be doing doubles if she's running less than 50 miles a week. Yes, she most certainly should. Why should she? Ah well, that's a big secret so tough diddies:p
    Firstly, I think you may be over-personalizing things and defending imaginary scenarios. Secondly, I'm not sure why you are you referring to me in the 3rd party, instead of addressing me directly? :confused: I'm as ardent a follower of Magness as I am of any of the other coaches whose materials and programs I have read/followed.

At 50mpw (that's approximately 7 miles per day), someone targeting 5ks in the 16-17 minute range is not going to benefit significantly from splitting an 8 mile run into two. In my view (and that's what we're doing here, representing our opinions), two 4 mile runs is not going going to provide a significant amount of training stimulus. From the same article (page 2):
    The take-away message is that if you are training to improve performance, there is a time to run once, twice and even possibly three times per day. It all depends on the purpose of the run: If the purpose is to build endurance, such as during a base phase, you want to make sure to include at least one longer run per day. It’s OK to do doubles to build mileage, but these should be completed in an unbalanced way, such as a 60-minute run in the morning followed by a 25-minute run in the evening. The longer run serves as the primary stimulus to increase overall endurance.

Firstly, I think you may be over-personalizing things and defending imaginary scenarios. Secondly, I'm not sure why you are you referring to me in the 3rd party, instead of addressing me directly? :confused: I'm as ardent a follower of Magness as I am of any of the other coaches whose materials and programs I have read/followed.

At 50mpw (that's approximately 7 miles per day), someone targeting 5ks in the 16-17 minute range is not going to benefit significantly from splitting an 8 mile run into two. In my view (and that's what we're doing here, representing our opinions), two 4 mile runs is not going going to provide a significant amount of training stimulus. From the same article (page 2):

Apologies KC, didn't mean to personalise things. And I should have addressed you directly.

On the 2x4 over the 8 as an easy run/maintenance runs, I think it still stands there are many more benefits with the doubles than the single. But like you've now said - with the Magness quote - and like I' said, it depends on what the purpose of run/runs are etc.

Once again, apologies for the hasty and thoughtless response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My ears are burning. :D

Definitely will weigh in on this as soon as I get a chance to run through the post's and take time to form an post from the though process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Getting nagged constantly, mainly by one particular person, about how much harm I am doing my health prospects in later life with all this running. Apparently I'm in for a right miserable old age altogether with Arthritis. hip replacement, joint issues, knee issues etc etc, with many examples given to prove the facts.

So. How does everyone shut these gob****es up. Or am I in denial?

Personally my opinion would be no, I would feel that if the aim is development the focus would be on 40-60 min for your easy days. I know many of us focus on the miles but with regards the physiological benefits I would day make the mileage fit the time frame so if you easy/ moderate pace is quicker than 10 min miling you will develop very little aerobically from these runs.

I think there are a few things to be taken from this point

1) the first highlighted point would be pretty much in line with my thinking that these shorter runs are used for recovery or maintenance which I would agree.

2)With regards the second highlighted point I would look at the overall athlete. Without taking into account the fact that the majority of athletes used as reference in his workings would have been coming from a fairly comprehensive athletic background (decent base built up over years of HS/College/Pro training). If you have an athlete who is prone to injury or break down in session's I would say this to be entirely true they will improve aerobically simply through the stimulus of sessions and long run (especially in the early stages of training) however if you are relatively new to the sport then then these aerobic runs are more about development rather than maintenance and more focus is on the developing the base to be able to handle the sessions.

Personally I have seen this implemented fairly successfully more so for 800/1500m runners but again majority of focus is on the sessions and the ancillary work but the intensity is increased as a way of compensating for the drop in volume.
    There are many reasons why two short doubles are better than the single run. In terms of injury prevention, two shorts, where the intention is to develop one of the runs from say, 4/5 to 8 miles and keep the second run at 4/5 miles makes sense.

I think this part is key. As I said I despite mileage being used as a measurement tool I think that if the aim is to develop aerobically you are wasting your time with runs under 40 min, with regard to the progression I think this comes down to coaching approach. Personally i would prefer to start with 50-60 min single run and progress pace and add secondary run as the athlete progresses which would progressively get longer to the point where they are able to handy a 40/60 double safely
    Two 35 min runs would be far safer and better than an 80-90 min run. Although the longer run does have it's place.

Without a doubt,however I think that 50-60 min of easy running would provide a similar stimulus for aerobic development while staying low injury risk however I do take on your point with regards the clearing of metabolites but I would feel that their is more bang for your buck in terms of aerobic development from the single in this regard. Though both approaches end in the same results I just feel that the single to double approach offer's more quantifiable results in the short term (which can have huge psychological benefits for someone especially in the early stages of their running career as human nature tends to be impatient with wanting results)
    On the old school approach of the longer single before the second run is dropped in, again, it depends on the runner's experience, ability, goals etc, time of the year and what the purpose of the run is, injury history - there are so many different things that need to be taken into account. But I think you'll find ecoli agrees with me on the 'going long too soon' as he's well aware of the overuse problems associated with this approach - he's mentioned it several times.

I agree with the going long too soon aspect but I think in this regard the development of all round athleticism over aerobic engine is paramount. I don't like to force the mileage and as such I think you can probably develop a relatively new athlete better of 30-35 miles a week in singles than forcing 45-50mpw in doubles (or tacking up a 20 mile long run to make up the mileage) Again this is a personal opinion
    On the 2x4 over the 8 as an easy run/maintenance runs, I think it still stands there are many more benefits with the doubles than the single. But like you've now said - with the Magness quote - and like I' said, it depends on what the purpose of run/runs are etc.

This is probably the crux of the matter, the athletes injury history and running background play the vital role in this regards and this is where debate usually kicks in as people finding what works for them/their athletes believe it's the right approach without taking into context the individualised aspect of the target audience (more than one way to skin a cat but just make sure you recognise the difference between a sphynx and a jaguar or your just asking for trouble :P)

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Getting nagged constantly, mainly by one particular person, about how much harm I am doing my health prospects in later life with all this running. Apparently I'm in for a right miserable old age altogether with Arthritis. hip replacement, joint issues, knee issues etc etc, with many examples given to prove the facts.

Show them the effects alcohol or sleep deprivation have on your long term health, running will be the last of their worries

If they continue really confuse them by informing them that the knee is not actually a shock absorber so the impact of running being the issue is physically impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

What do you mean?
    sorry for the short answer. My personal view is that taking sleeping tablets only cures the symptom not the cause. Overtraining may be the underline problem for your sleep issues, then again it may not. Anyway link to a very good post on the matter from the famous Tunney

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70639421

I'd go on a weeklong bender involving copious amounts of coke/ LSD/ peyote / ether show up at their door penniless and near death. Call their bluff big style and see what they'd rather.

dukeraoul wrote: »
    I'd go on a weeklong bender involving copious amounts of coke/ LSD/ peyote / ether show up at their door penniless and near death. Call their bluff big style and see what they'd rather.

This was the point this crossed the hypothetical line to "there is a story behind this one" :D

ecoli wrote: »
    This was the point this crossed the hypothetical line to "there is a story behind this one" :D

Well, to start ; "We were 15 miles outside of Barstow when the drugs finally started to take hold..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I get that all the time now so I just take a deep breath, count to 10, walk away and find an empty room or cupboard and just scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

RedRunner wrote: »
    I get that all the time now so I just take a deep breath, count to 10, walk away and find an empty room or cupboard and just scream!

I smile sarcastically and walk on. Especially if it's from a 'well-proportioned' lad or lass.

• Advertisement

Apologies KC, didn't mean to personalise things. And I should have addressed you directly.

Once again, apologies for the hasty and thoughtless response.
    No worries. Just my grumpy nervous pre-workout trigger finger. My concern about the Steve Magness quote is that the context wasn't provided and reading the broader article, he seems to contradict himself a little, later suggesting that an even split may not be the way to go. Context is all-important and with 'Inventive User Name' we don't really have very much. It's not the splitting 8 mile runs that would concern me (I am, after all a serial doubler and tripler), but rather that one would get benefit from doing so on a weekly mileage of 50mpw. That mileage is low (relative to the OPs 16-17 min 5k achievements), so splitting an 8 mile run could come at the cost of endurance. In Ososlo's context (improving runner, increasing mileage, 5k =~23 mins, recent injury history) it may make a lot more sense. But that's just my 2c. Incidentally, Magness does have a 4/4 split run in his 5k program, but just the one, in the 21 weeks of training.

Advertisement