Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thanks all for replies. Been doing additional foam rolling the past few days. Might need to 'individualise' my routine a little bit,maybe just go slow rather than stop between intervals as someone suggested...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Might sound like a silly question... but how do you train for another race soon after a target race? Did a half marathon last weekend (my second one, first half done summer last year). So my training for this year has been with last weekend's race in mind, starting at the very start of a training plan and following it (as best I could) along. Now I'm thinking about doing another half in 6 weeks time - how to I start into training for that? Do I look at a half marathon plan like HH and jump ahead in the weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not a silly question at all. In fact, that's a great question!

The first thing you have to make sure is that you recover from your first race. There is a rule of thumb that there should be no hard running for a day for each mile raced, for a half marathon that's basically 2 weeks of no tough workouts.

Once recovery is over, you start training for the next race. The beauty of endurance training is that it all builds on top of previous training. As you've said yourself, since you're not starting from zero you would not want to start at week 1 of a training plan - if you're using a generic plan like HH you would indeed be starting somewhere in the middle of training.

For longer races like marathons, or for very fast runners, it all gets a bit more complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not a silly question at all. In fact, that's a great question!

The first thing you have to make sure is that you recover from your first race. There is a rule of thumb that there should be no hard running for a day for each mile raced, for a half marathon that's basically 2 weeks of no tough workouts.

Once recovery is over, you start training for the next race. The beauty of endurance training is that it all builds on top of previous training. As you've said yourself, since you're not starting from zero you would not want to start at week 1 of a training plan - if you're using a generic plan like HH you would indeed be starting somewhere in the middle of training.

For longer races like marathons, or for very fast runners, it all gets a bit more complicated
    Thanks a mil, that's really helpful. I'm not planning on doing a longer race nor am I anywhere near fast so no complications there! I had planned on taking this week off anyway. Hoping to get back out for a run early next week when the young lad is back at athletics. I just have to sit down so and look at training plans and see how to fit in half marathon training around it all plus dark evenings and two big unavoidable birthday sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

How long of a 'break/rest' before the sharpness can fall away.? 9 weeks into Marathon training and a slight injury means little, if any, running between the start of this week and rathoath next week. While I understand it takes 2-3 weeks for the body to absorb training, can you completely lose your sharpness (for want of a better word) in those 2 weeks.? Should I be reassessing my original plan of attack for the HM.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    How long of a 'break/rest' before the sharpness can fall away.? 9 weeks into Marathon training and a slight injury means little, if any, running between the start of this week and rathoath next week. While I understand it takes 2-3 weeks for the body to absorb training, can you completely lose your sharpness (for want of a better word) in those 2 weeks.? Should I be reassessing my original plan of attack for the HM.?

De-conditioning can occur within 3 days of ceasation of activity. This has a snowball effect so at first drop off can be minimal and compound as you go on.

Depending on the injury cross training or some form of activity can be encouraged. Original plan however will depend on the type of injury, extend and the rehabilitation approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have been running in my Nike Pegasus 35 (150 miles) and after my run yesterday i looked at the sole to see what the wear was like and was surprised to see the left foot has more wear than the right, The wear is in the same place on both, outside edge of heal and middle forefoot and middle toe off. ( I am right footed)
    Has anybody noticed this on their shoes and know what it means?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I am no Sherlock Holmes but in fairness this is the random thread so;

A : You are a heel striker and have a natural slight supination in your gait on landing which straightens to neutral.

B: Your weaker left foot spends more time on the ground than your dominant right foot

C: As the cyclists would say, you need n+1 pairs of shoes

D: You are going grand, it all sounds natural enough and why don't shoes last longer the feckin cost of them god bless the ASICS store in Kildare Village..

How to develop greater balance when doing squats?. I feel like I'm about to topple over. I must stress that my balance is otherwise suspect,I've always been a bit 'clumsy'....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Stand on one leg during the day whenever you get the opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Quick question on strength and conditioning and when to do them, normally I can do S&C classes (circuit training or strength class) on Mon/Wed/Fri (I try to fit 2 of these classes in a week), we have track session on Tuesday's and tempo runs on a Thursday, with the general consensus being easy day/hard day for training how do people fit in their S&C?
    Have just done 6 weeks of easy running to build a base for a spring marathon and about to jump into 10k specific training before marathon training proper so my schedule would look like this:
    Mon - Circuit training and Easy run in evening (4-7 miles)
    Tue - Speed session
    Wed- Strength Class and easy run in evening (6-10 miles)
    Thursday - Hills or tempo run
    Fri - Rest or circuit training
    Sat - LSR
    Sun - Rest
    If I were to do the S&C classes on Tue/Thur would this not leave me weaker and not get the benefit from the speed/tempo session later that evening?
    Likewise if I do the classes on Mon/Wed is that scuppering the easy days and lead to fatigue/injury?  
    For boardsies who (successfully) fit in S&C how do you manage it and what does your schedule look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Does it matter if you walk your cool down after a session or is a slow run/jog more effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Does it matter if you walk your cool down after a session or is a slow run/jog more effective?
    Like all things running related iIt depends on the session and the person. Generally keeping moving is the goal and a brisk walk is as good as a slow jog imo. You could try both (week 1 try walking, week 2 try jogging) and see which is most effective for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lisa.J.Kelly

From personal experience I would say it does not really matter that much. Many people advocate that it helps to get lactic acid out of your body. Still research shows that is this is not true. So do what you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Like all things running related iIt depends on the session and the person. Generally keeping moving is the goal and a brisk walk is as good as a slow jog imo. You could try both (week 1 try walking, week 2 try jogging) and see which is most effective for you
    From personal experience I would say it does not really matter that much. Many people advocate that it helps to get lactic acid out of your body. Still research shows that is this is not true. So do what you prefer.

Thanks for the responses. I always jog about 2k of a cool down but would've loved to have walked last night instead as I was feeling just generally tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

One of big advantages of running/jogging your cool down is that it is more sport specific. You are getting another 5k of running done with cooldowns if you do two sessions a week. Its all volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Can always walk for a couple of minutes to recover from the session, then start jogging. I wouldn't want to walk 2k home after a session, would take too long and I'd start getting cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks for the responses. I always jog about 2k of a cool down but would've loved to have walked last night instead as I was feeling just generally tired.

Considering you are less than 2 weeks out from your 1st marathon Huzzah i would suggest if you feel tired then walk (just make sure you don't get cold) or even god forbid cut the cool down short (or even cut the session short :eek:) - for other reasons i had to cut my cool down to half a mile last night and it was sufficient. I know it goes against your natural instincts not to do exactly what the plan says but honestly now is the time to really listen to your body, everybody is different but yet most of us follow generic plans so don't be afraid to trust your own instincts for the next 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Quick question on strength and conditioning and when to do them, normally I can do S&C classes (circuit training or strength class) on Mon/Wed/Fri (I try to fit 2 of these classes in a week), we have track session on Tuesday's and tempo runs on a Thursday, with the general consensus being easy day/hard day for training how do people fit in their S&C?
    Have just done 6 weeks of easy running to build a base for a spring marathon and about to jump into 10k specific training before marathon training proper so my schedule would look like this:
    Mon - Circuit training and Easy run in evening (4-7 miles)
    Tue - Speed session
    Wed- Strength Class and easy run in evening (6-10 miles)
    Thursday - Hills or tempo run
    Fri - Rest or circuit training
    Sat - LSR
    Sun - Rest
    If I were to do the S&C classes on Tue/Thur would this not leave me weaker and not get the benefit from the speed/tempo session later that evening?
    Likewise if I do the classes on Mon/Wed is that scuppering the easy days and lead to fatigue/injury?  
    For boardsies who (successfully) fit in S&C how do you manage it and what does your schedule look like?

I do my strength training on my easy days as well. I used to do them in the morning when I would have training that evening, I just find this works better for me. Plenty of time to rest and recover before next training session.

What time should I aim for in a pending half-marathon?. Recent 5K times are 21:54,22:22,21:04 and 22:10. Have done 12.5 and 11 miles in training. Have only done 3 or 4 halves before but pb is 1:43:55. What might be realistic now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Spirogyra wrote: »
    What time should I aim for in a pending half-marathon?. Recent 5K times are 21:54,22:22,21:04 and 22:10. Have done 12.5 and 11 miles in training. Have only done 3 or 4 halves before but pb is 1:43:55. What might be realistic now?

Which is your most recent 5k? When is the half?

22:10 but they are all within the last 6 weeks....It's in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Spirogyra wrote: »
    22:10 but they are all within the last 6 weeks....It's in 2 weeks

A sub 1.40 is more than achievable off those 5k’s, i’d have liked to have gotten a 14 mile run or more in before the race but that’s not possible at this stage as the half is to close. Off the fastest 5k your looking at 1.37.xx according to McMillan. What you think yourself?

OOnegative wrote: »
    A sub 1.40 is more than achievable off those 5k’s, i’d have liked to have gotten a 14 mile run or more in before the race but that’s not possible at this stage as the half is to close. Off the fastest 5k your looking at 1.37.xx according to McMillan. What you think yourself?
    I don't want,00negative for chasing too much a pb to interfere with enjoying the race. Plus if I was off target early on it could be a 'long' race....So maybe if I could be a minute or too quicker than my pb of 143:55. Just googling a pace calculator now. Thats...7:46 per mile,yeah that's a reasonable target I suppose :)

How important is sit-down dinner on a plate?I had been trying to go vegetarian,but it's much easier to make up a roll than a 'dinner on a plate'. I can make a good roll with tomato,Quorn chicken,onions,cheese,maybe seed. I really struggle big time with the 'plate'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

This thread is for random questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Does anyone have any 'go to'/recommended routines for flexibility and movement? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Does anyone have any 'go to'/recommended routines for flexibility and movement? :)

Yoga With Adriene- she has a 7 minute routine for Runners. I’ve been recommended it a few times now by different people but in all honesty have yet to actually do it!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

A very obvious question but... Any tips to reduce 'running long' in a race? By this I mean running extra distance due to weaving around people / not taking the tangent line etc

I'd be average pace so in the middle of the pack - means lots of congestion and difficulty taking the 'racing line'. It's heartbreaking hearing the watch bleep for 10km about 300m before I get to the finish line, particularly when near a PB

Is it better to not weave and let the congestion ease up before overtaking (within reason!) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is it better to not weave and let the congestion ease up before overtaking (within reason!) ?

Position yourself at the start around people slightly quicker than you. That way you need to worry less about congestion and needing to weave around people.

Advertisement