Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

A very obvious question but... Any tips to reduce 'running long' in a race? By this I mean running extra distance due to weaving around people / not taking the tangent line etc

I'd be average pace so in the middle of the pack - means lots of congestion and difficulty taking the 'racing line'. It's heartbreaking hearing the watch bleep for 10km about 300m before I get to the finish line, particularly when near a PB

Is it better to not weave and let the congestion ease up before overtaking (within reason!) ?

By even asking the question you're probably ahead of 90% of people. Just being aware should get you initial gains. I'd also tend to say the opposite of what has been said earlier... take the start easier and use the available concentration to keep yourself on line as far as reasonably possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Position yourself at the start around people slightly quicker than you. That way you need to worry less about congestion and needing to weave around people.

By this I meant let them pass. Don't shoot off like a maniac with them. Focus on your own effort and race line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's heartbreaking hearing the watch bleep for 10km about 300m before I get to the finish line
    Just to follow up on this: you are not running an extra 300m (or anywhere close to it) by not following the racing line. GPS watches almost always measure long. Even if you followed the racing line perfectly, you're still going to get a 10.X result on your Garmin, and X can vary by quite a bit. The best way to pace yourself is by using the clock on your watch and matching it to on-course markers. If you base your pace on your Garmin ticking off kilometres, you will always come up short, no matter how good your racing line is

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

By this I meant let them pass. Don't shoot off like a maniac with them. Focus on your own effort and race line.

Saying that some people have no business been up the front in races, it's creating the problem that was first raised. :pac:

Saying that some people have no business been up the front in races, it's creating the problem that was first raised. :pac:

Oh god I completely agree. Its a pet hate of mine. But nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with people slightly quicker e.g. if you know you're a 42min 10k runner there's nothing wrong with positioning yourself around the 40 pacer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ignore the watch. If you stop when it beeps 10k you won't have completed 10k, and this is largely due to inaccuracies inherent to the device. A tiny proportion of it will be deviations from the racing line, assuming you are sticking as close to it as is reasonably possible, not weaving past slower runners etc. There is a slight overmeasurement in the course design, too (to prevent short courses). I think it's 5m per mile, although I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Rossi7

Can the camber on a road / path cause injury ? I felt soreness on the outside of my left knee after a run on Wenesday night and thinking back the path sloped from right to left for a couple of miles and I was wondering would this be the cause of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Do any Raheny people know if Dave Brady is on for marathon 800 at Dublin this year?

He ran his 700th last year, and 600th the previous year.

Also, how does he do it? Are they mostly logged training runs?

Can't be races surely at 2 a week?

Lovely lovely guy btw, got a pic with him last year the day before at parkrun, me holding up 1 finger him holding up 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Can the camber on a road / path cause injury ? I felt soreness on the outside of my left knee after a run on Wenesday night and thinking back the path sloped from right to left for a couple of miles and I was wondering would this be the cause of it

Yes it can, though I'd be surprised if you get hurt after only a couple of miles.
    I remember reading that you should try and run on the other side of the road at times if it's cambered - but obviously, don't do it if you think it's dangerous!

I general, though, I would expect it to become a problem only if you run on the same side of a cambered road day after day after day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Decided I wanna do a Half M..im in Dublin.. where's/ when's the next I could aspire to / train for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Decided I wanna do a Half M..im in Dublin.. where's/ when's the next I could aspire to / train for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Phoenix Park paths can be a killer from the Parkgate st entrance, have to run on the kerb stones or bike lane only a small problem but it can be very annoying and the knees don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Rossi7

Phoenix Park paths can be a killer from the Parkgate st entrance, have to run on the kerb stones or bike lane only a small problem but it can be very annoying and the knees don't like it
    :) That's exactly where I was running and felt the soreness that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Lazare wrote: »
    Do any Raheny people know if Dave Brady is on for marathon 800 at Dublin this year?

He ran his 700th last year, and 600th the previous year.

Also, how does he do it? Are they mostly logged training runs?

Can't be races surely at 2 a week?

I don't know if he's on track for 800 but he's certainly still piling them up. I see him at practically every marathon I'm doing.

No, none of them are logged training runs. They would not count. There are rules set by the Irish marathon club on what counts and what not, and it has to be an official event with a certain number of runners and with results published.

There are occasionally events like 10-marathons-in-10-days, and back-to-back marathons on at least half the weekends during the summer, and a few midweek races organised by the EOI group. Running 100 official marathons per year in Ireland is just about doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If you mean would he run them as a training run, then i would say yes, all of them!

IvoryTower wrote: »
    If you mean would he run them as a training run, then i would say yes, all of them!

No I meant was he just logging solo 26.2 runs for the most part as I didn't think it possible otherwise.

What a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Does one warm-up for a half-marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spirogyra wrote: »

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well, you'd normally warm up for any race. But I suppose for long ones where you're treating them as a training run, maybe not. But the standard answer is, Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

and how would one warm up? a mile gentle? dynamic stretching? quads? lunges,squats?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

and how would one warm up? a mile gentle? dynamic stretching? quads? lunges,squats?

same as you would warm up for a shorter race, so all those things
    your warm-up is going to be shorter than if you were running a 1500m, but ideally the thorough warm-up that we all do before races and hard training sessions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Ah, now there's a better question!!! To be honest, I do very little fancy stuff. I'd normally just jog around for a few kms and chuck in a few 20 second faster bursts to get the legs and the heart ready. But all this lunging and stretching..... Meh. I think before my most recent Half (a PB) in March I just did a 5km jog. Can't remember if I included a mini stride/sprint or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I've never warmed up for any race.usually warm up in first few miles of a marathon.different strokes for different folks,etc.

kerrylad1 wrote:
    I've never warmed up for any race.usually warm up in first few miles of a marathon.different strokes for different folks,etc.

I would think that the warmup for a marathon is less critical but for a half and shorter you're running at a pace that's not exactly comfortable from the get go so I'd always do a warmup for half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

For any race 5k to half marathon I normally do 3km easy, then a few drills and activations, and then a few strides and I'm ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

kerrylad1 wrote:

I would think that the warmup for a marathon is less critical but for a half and shorter you're running at a pace that's not exactly comfortable from the get go so I'd always do a warmup for half.
    Ur properly right p.Maybe I'm just lazy.I haven't run anything other than marathons since 2015,but even for my last 10K,I rolled up on my motorbike,got off an was running the 10K within minutes.got a pb to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

imagine what you'd run if you were warmed up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Ur properly right p.Maybe I'm just lazy.I haven't run anything other than marathons since 2015,but even for my last 10K,I rolled up on my motorbike,got off an was running the 10K within minutes.got a pb to boot.
    Not having a go at all, but I'd agree with Ivory Tower. You ran a PB despite not having warmed up (which is brilliant by the way), not because you didn't warm up. Obviously I can't say whether or not you'd have done any better if you had warmed up but you'd certainly have been in a better position to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Folks shouldnt neglect the warm down either.
    If anything thats almost more important than the warm up.
    Its not just for the elites (says he tongue firmly in cheek...) .

Ive found warmdowns not only help me recover better from races, or even training sessions but they can act as a bit of extra training , especially on a 5k, parkrun, or shorter distance do 800 meters or 1k super easy post race and you will feel better and improve your running.
    The only downside is the post-race food is often scoffed if you do a warm down

Advertisement