Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Folks shouldnt neglect the warm down either.
    If anything thats almost more important than the warm up.
    Its not just for the elites (says he tongue firmly in cheek...) .

Ive found warmdowns not only help me recover better from races, or even training sessions but they can act as a bit of extra training , especially on a 5k, parkrun, or shorter distance do 800 meters or 1k super easy post race and you will feel better and improve your running.
    The only downside is the post-race food is often scoffed if you do a warm down
    Again I'll do another 3k at recovery pace on any race 5k to half and then spent 5 minutes doing stretching. It means less cake if theres a small spread :pac: but I find it helps with recovery. More stretching and foam rolling when I get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Folks shouldnt neglect the warm down either.
    If anything thats almost more important than the warm up.
    Its not just for the elites (says he tongue firmly in cheek...) .

Ive found warmdowns not only help me recover better from races, or even training sessions but they can act as a bit of extra training , especially on a 5k, parkrun, or shorter distance do 800 meters or 1k super easy post race and you will feel better and improve your running.
    The only downside is the post-race food is often scoffed if you do a warm down
    Again I'll do another 3k at recovery pace on any race 5k to half and then spent 5 minutes doing stretching. It means less cake if theres a small spread :pac: but I find it helps with recovery. More stretching and foam rolling when I get home
    That is the one thing I always do,2/3 mile warm downs.How long of a warm up do people do,say for a 5K/10K.?

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    That is the one thing I always do,2/3 mile warm downs.How long of a warm up do people do,say for a 5K/10K.?
    3km warm up sometimes a bit more and the same for cool down for any race 5k to half

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

kerrylad1 wrote:

Same as mellow. Maybe around 3k with some strides thrown in too. I'm very bad to do the warm downs usually because I'm meeting someone at the finish. And the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Same as mellow. Maybe around 3k with some strides thrown in too. I'm very bad to do the warm downs usually because I'm meeting someone at the finish. And the spread.

+1, probably same as both of the lads, 3k before & after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

kerrylad1 wrote:

A couple of miles, with some strides towards the end. Maybe some drills if I remember. I do this for everything including half marathon distance. For a marathon I don't really do anything - maybe a few squats and lunges, but that's mostly due to nerves.

Thanks for all the answers lads.I will do a 10K timetrial,someday next week.I will do a 3 K warmup,just to see what difference,if any,it makes to my recent 10K time trials,which have all been epic fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

I am running the Dublin Half tomorrow, started training 12 weeks ago until I got injured, which was 6 weeks ago, now I am recovered and ran few 5 Ks, and my fitness has gone down quite a bit. Most I've ever ran was 8 miles, and I felt I could've easily ran the half then, but that was before I got injured. Any tips for tomorrow as to how I can mentally prepare myself/ anything I can do?

kerrylad1 wrote:
    Thanks for all the answers lads.I will do a 10K timetrial,someday next week.I will do a 3 K warmup,just to see what difference,if any,it makes to my recent 10K time trials,which have all been epic fails.

Not to be an absolute plague but why the time trial? Why not train for a 10k race? 10k time trials are essentially a race left on the training pitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

dorado99 wrote: »
    I am running the Dublin Half tomorrow, started training 12 weeks ago until I got injured, which was 6 weeks ago, now I am recovered and ran few 5 Ks, and my fitness has gone down quite a bit. Most I've ever ran was 8 miles, and I felt I could've easily ran the half then, but that was before I got injured. Any tips for tomorrow as to how I can mentally prepare myself/ anything I can do?

Forget about any time goals, start easily and keep the effort at easy levels. And accept that it will get tough towards the end - just put your head down and keep going until the end.

• Advertisement

The wife works 2/3 weekends out of every 5,every time there's a decent 10K in Limerick,she seems to be working.I mite do the st Michael's one again in October,if she's off.I missed it the last few years as she was working.You should do it man.Flat as a pancake,you would be there or there about,s for a podium place.

kerrylad1 wrote:
    The wife works 2/3 weekends out of every 5,every time there's a decent 10K in Limerick,she seems to be working.I mite do the st Michael's one again in October,if she's off.I missed it the last few years as she was working.You should do it man.Flat as a pancake,you would be there or there about,s for a podium place.

Head farther afield if u can man. Some great races in Munster if your lifestyle allows you to travel a tiny bit. As for Smrc yeah I'd love to have a crack at it but it doesnt fit into my plan for the winter. Cross country on the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

Would there be pins at the event tomorrow so runners can attach their numbers? I don't think I have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

dorado99 wrote:
    Would there be pins at the event tomorrow so runners can attach their numbers? I don't think I have any.

Usually you get pins with the number. Either with a pre-enter race pack, or entering on the day.

For BHAA races can you just show up on the day, register, and race even if you're not a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

For BHAA races can you just show up on the day, register, and race even if you're not a member?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Can a (likely) IT Band problem ever be cured? or is it always just about 'managing it as best one can',with stretches ?. Seeing a physio again next week after a problem developed at around mile 11 in Charleville. IT Band, it's been an issue for years but I get away with it in 5 and 10K's...becomes a problem in longer runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Can a (likely) IT Band problem ever be cured? or is it always just about 'managing it as best one can',with stretches ?. Seeing a physio again next week after a problem developed at around mile 11 in Charleville. IT Band, it's been an issue for years but I get away with it in 5 and 10K's...becomes a problem in longer runs.

That would be a typical example of weak glutes and poor trunk stability as the runs get longer the muscular endurance fails and the hip stabilisation on foot strike is compromised.

1) Make sure you have good hip Range of motion
    2) Focus on glute strength
    3) Don't do excessive long runs until your body is strong enough to support them

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Looking for some advice / thoughts with regards to tapering. Doing DCM and training was going pretty good up until 2 weeks ago. Hurt my back and have done nothing since, so 2 full weeks out. That only leaves me with 2 weeks until tap starts (and I have my brothers wedding this Fri and Sat!!)
    Anyways, question is would doing longs runs (say 20,18,21) this Thursday, following Wednesday and the following Tuesday be ok.? Reducing the taper to approx. 2.5 weeks. I previously had 2 20 milers done and a max weekly mileage had been 57m. It may all be mute if the back doesn't hold up, but I'd just like to get an idea on thoughts and to get a plan in place. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Curious about when to go to a physio for a check over vs going for a sports massage? In the context of marathon training specifically. If there's no major issue but legs overall feeling a bit sub par, which would you choose for general maintenance? Or should it be both at some stage as part of marathon prep? I've mostly avoided both and I think I need something now but I'm never really sure what you're supposed to do when, apart from going to a physio in the case of an obvious injury worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

If its not a specific injury worry and just a rub down then I go to my local Physical Therapist. He gives me a deep massage on the legs, rubs out a lot of kinks etc. Also, he is cheaper than a Physio, appointments last more than an hour and he knows his stuff too on little niggles that turn out to be nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

thinking of signing up for my first half marathon!!

Are the downloadable Garmin connect plans good? or could anyone recommend another plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Goose76 wrote: »

Are the downloadable Garmin connect plans good? or could anyone recommend another plan?

I don't think there's a good plan or a bad plan, it's about looking at a few different plans and finding one that you think will suit you the best. Things to look for are the number of days running and overall mileage - you don't want anything that is too a big an increase on what you're currently doing but at the same time you don't want to follow a plan that is too big of a drop in your current mileage.

Hal Higdon plans seem quite popular but i've never followed one myself. The one linked is quite basic but there are lots of other more intermediate and advanced plans also if you think they would suit you better.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Goose76 wrote:

Goose76 wrote:

I'm debating the same..im thinking Duffy clontarf in nov..

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Just wondering about how to approach doing a cross country race. I would like to vary my running which is currently just road running. I understand there are some "open" races where you don't have to be part of a club. Is a XC Race too technical to just rock up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

duffer247 wrote: »
    Just wondering about how to approach doing a cross country race. I would like to vary my running which is currently just road running. I understand there are some "open" races where you don't have to be part of a club. Is a XC Race too technical to just rock up to?

Rock up to an open race, though there aren't that many. Have a look at the BHAA schedule. If conditions are very mucky though, you'll be better off in spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Rock up to an open race, though there aren't that many. Have a look at the BHAA schedule. If conditions are very mucky though, you'll be better off in spikes.

Nice one thanks. I saw an open event advertised recently but too close to DCM. I presume a closed event is club runners only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Anywhere around Dublin that sells ON running shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone got some advice for hip issues?

Right hip has been at me since the half on Sunday. Is rest and baths the only thing for it?

Bad time for it to happen with DCM not far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    Anywhere around Dublin that sells ON running shoes?

Runhub do them.....https://www.therunhub.ie/store/filtered/d_24/sd3_On-Running/

Advertisement