Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Anyone got some advice for hip issues?

Right hip has been at me since the half on Sunday. Is rest and baths the only thing for it?

Bad time for it to happen with DCM not far away.
    There are loads of stretches, exercise, and drills you can do depending on your issue that will help. You'll find a load on YouTube but I'd talk to my coach or physio before undertaking anything new especially with a major race around the corner. Runners are notorious for ignoring suplmentry training, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

There are loads of stretches, exercise, and drills you can do depending on your issue that will help. You'll find a load on YouTube but I'd talk to my coach or physio before undertaking anything new especially with a major race around the corner. Runners are notorious for ignoring suplmentry training, myself included.

Might get it looked this week.

It’s kind of feels like a stiffness or ache more than sheer pain. I could probably run on it but it’ll be worse again afterwards I reckon.

Also, I usually cycle to work but I’m in between bikes at the moment and driving to work. With hindsight, cycling may be a good way of keeping the hip loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

If your stomach is rumbling an hour before a race,what's the best course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Spirogyra wrote: »
    If your stomach is rumbling an hour before a race,what's the best course of action?

From hunger? Banana I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Is the trinity running track open to the public?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Spirogyra wrote: »

Analyse whatever you did or didnt do in the previous 12 hours and change it before the next race and see if that makes a difference. You either need to make an addition to your pre-race routine or subtract something from it or change the timing

It might take 3 or 4 races to figure out what the culprit was ... was it lack of food, nerves, the meal the night before, too much dairy, a gel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The difference in stats between Strava and Garmin connect.. is that Strava only counts moving time or something is it? So if you're recording on GC say for example and it uploads to Strava after....then GC is the one you go by?

Or is it a matter of personal preference...ie...if you want to know the avg pace of the entire stint GC is your man. If you want to know the pace of moving time only...Strava is your option?

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things...just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

The difference in stats between Strava and Garmin connect.. is that Strava only counts moving time or something is it? So if you're recording on GC say for example and it uploads to Strava after....then GC is the one you go by?

Or is it a matter of personal preference...ie...if you want to know the avg pace of the entire stint GC is your man. If you want to know the pace of moving time only...Strava is your option?

I think it depends on what info you want. I had a pit stop in a race once. Happened to check strava first and was delighted with my time - it was only when I looked at GC that I realised it was 2 mins more and strava had only recorded my moving time. So my racing time start to finish was on GC but actual running time only on Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The difference in stats between Strava and Garmin connect.. is that Strava only counts moving time or something is it?

I think Strava only counts moving time

I don't worry about it. If I'm doing a run where pace is important, I choose a route where there won't be any stops. If I'm stopping, pace isn't important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

GC for stats - PBs, weekly/monthly/annual mileage, splits from intervals etc. Strava for the social element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Goose76 wrote: »
    Is the trinity running track open to the public?

There's no markings left on the grass. I guess you could still run around it if there's nothing else on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

Asked this in the mentored novices thread but thought I might get a broader spectrum of replies here. I tripped a week ago on a morning run and have a hairline fracture of my big toe. So DCM is out although at the follow up today I was told I could gently edge back to running in 2 weeks time and can cycle or swim in the meantime

So my question relates to what to do next - I felt this block of training had gone really well with no injuries or illness and had 14 weeks of training done. I’m looking at the Malaga marathon on 9th December which would give me 3-4 weeks back running and a taper then. Do people think that’s doable or am I asking for trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Griff75 wrote:
    So my question relates to what to do next - I felt this block of training had gone really well with no injuries or illness and had 14 weeks of training done. I’m looking at the Malaga marathon on 9th December which would give me 3-4 weeks back running and a taper then. Do people think that’s doable or am I asking for trouble?

It's absolutely doable. But is Malaga something you actually want to do or are you just trying to fill the void of DCM asap?

Griff75 wrote: »
    Asked this in the mentored novices thread but thought I might get a broader spectrum of replies here. I tripped a week ago on a morning run and have a hairline fracture of my big toe. So DCM is out although at the follow up today I was told I could gently edge back to running in 2 weeks time and can cycle or swim in the meantime

I can’t see why not. If I didn’t get to do DCM I’d prob want to put the Training to use elsewhere too. Why Malaga? Just because of when it’s on? Clonakilty is the same weekend though very different to DCM in terms of crowds and route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Malaga should definitely be doable. As for taper, you mightn't need much, as you won't be coming off the back of a 14/16 week intensive training block. I'm not saying flog yourself up to the weekend before, but don't take 3 weeks either!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Griff75

Thanks for the above replies! No real reason for Malaga other than the dates suit - I don't particularly want to wait until the New Year and (with respect to Clonakilty) a trip there in December has more appeal than a trip to Clonakilty!

(plus the hills in Clonakilty scare me...)

Thanks for the above replies! No real reason for Malaga other than the dates suit - I don't particularly want to wait until the New Year and (with respect to Clonakilty) a trip there in December has more appeal than a trip to Clonakilty!

(plus the hills in Clonakilty scare me...)

Ha ha - they are something else alright :D

Go for Malaga so and enjoy it. If you are in a position to be free to travel then what a way to see an area! Another one that is rated quite highly is Lanzarote Marathon - just checked and it’s the 8th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What's the general consensus on Jack Daniels VDot theory?

Is it a load of academic twaddle? Or a useful guide to setting goals for target races? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ran a 10K yesterday in 39:01 which would potentially place me on the cusp on the sub 3 hour marathon bracket as per the VDot value.

Encouraging to see that but would be interested to hear if anyone has experience on this measure being accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on Jack Daniels VDot theory?

Is it a load of academic twaddle? Or a useful guide to setting goals for target races? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Ran a 10K yesterday in 39:01 which would potentially place me on the cusp on the sub 3 hour marathon bracket as per the VDot value.

Encouraging to see that but would be interested to hear if anyone has experience on this measure being accurate

Like all of these prediction tables, they are a guide.

All things being equal it gives you an indication of what you are potentially capable of if you commit to the specific training for that distance.

It's also a useful guide for training paces, but tuning into your own body signals is just as good if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

pac_man wrote: »
    What should your average heart rate be over the course of a marathon as a percentage of your max heart rate?

I think it would very much depend on how ambitious your goal was, the terrain, the weather.

Zone 2 would be my personal aim and it's what i did with longer triathlon races

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I would be in zone 4 and zone 5 for marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

pac_man wrote: »
    What % of your max is zone 2?

I did the VO2 test and was given target heart rates so cant remember the exact percentage.

Zone 1 was easy / warm up
    Zone 2 was endurance stuff
    Zone 3 was tempo runs
    zone 4 was interval sessions

My zone 2 was 140 - 156 so i trained to be fit enough to stay at that heart rate but get faster

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds about right to me. P&D have target marathon pace to be in the range of 79-88%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It might be just taper madness going to my head - I'm doing a half marathon this weekend (not doing DCM).

But I went over on my left ankle twice earlier in the week, once when I was out for a run on Mon night and again on Tues morn in work walking to the printer in heels. My ankle doesn't feel sore and isn't swollen. But since Tues night my outer left leg about one third the way up is a bit tender. It feels ok when I walk, but if I'm standing and leaning more on my left leg I can feel a little ache, I can feel it sometimes when I'm clutching in the car. Currently I'm sitting at my desk with my ankles crossed left foot over right and my lower left leg feels achy.

I had a hot water bottle on it for a while last night thinking a bit of heat might ease it but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Please tell me I'm over thinking it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It might be just taper madness going to my head - I'm doing a half marathon this weekend (not doing DCM).

But I went over on my left ankle twice earlier in the week, once when I was out for a run on Mon night and again on Tues morn in work walking to the printer in heels. My ankle doesn't feel sore and isn't swollen. But since Tues night my outer left leg about one third the way up is a bit tender. It feels ok when I walk, but if I'm standing and leaning more on my left leg I can feel a little ache, I can feel it sometimes when I'm clutching in the car. Currently I'm sitting at my desk with my ankles crossed left foot over right and my lower left leg feels achy.

I had a hot water bottle on it for a while last night thinking a bit of heat might ease it but it doesn't seem to have worked.

The bolded comments would suggest its nothing serious ( not a medical opinion btw). You don't say if it hurts when running or have you not run since Monday night?

You might be overthinking it. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel some kind of ache.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I would have thought that was the wrong option.. surely some ice or the reliable bag of frozen peas .
    RICE - Rest Ice Compression Elevation
    Wear some bandage on it for a couple of days when walking, take it off at night, elevate the leg under a pillow when your sleeping, get some ice or cold compress on it during the evening.

dont wear heels for the rest of the week , perhaps a flatter shoe if you can.. (did i just mansplain,,apologies)

and see how you are. It sounds like you did strain it, having went over twice on it, but sounds manageable
    Come the race and adenalin will kick in. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I would have thought that was the wrong option.. surely some ice or the reliable bag of frozen peas .
    To requote myself (and Testosterscone's addendum) from about 600 posts ago:
    28064212 wrote: »
    The whole RICE protocol (Rest Ice Compress Elevate) has been fairly thoroughly debunked by the doctor who proposed it in the first place. A level of inflammation is beneficial in speeding up recovery. He has a "recommendations" section at the end of that article that's worth reviewing
    Just a caveat on this.

If the swelling and inflammation are excessive they can affect range of motion which can affect speed of recovery as much if not more. Active recovery is becoming the big treatment approach in injuries (both in humans and in veterinary practices). Ice can be effective and beneficial in the very acute stages of injuries like this (as opposed to more common running overuse issues)

Given the the OP hasn't been diagnosed though pain management till you are able to get it looked at.

Edit: Probably should have read the recommendations first :p

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    To requote myself (and Testosterscone's addendum) from about 600 posts ago:

thats an interesting article from Dr 'RICE', Im not sure Id buy it though.
    he seems to be suggesting we dont use any anit-inflamatory meds or cortisoids to treat injuries.
    thats going to clear alot of shelving in the pharmacy...

Anything That Reduces Inflammation Also Delays Healing
    Anything that reduces your immune response will also delay muscle healing. Thus, healing is delayed by:
    • cortisone-type drugs,
    • almost all pain-relieving medicines, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen (Pharmaceuticals, 2010;3(5)),
    • immune suppressants that are often used to treat arthritis, cancer or psoriasis,
    • applying cold packs or ice, and
    • anything else that blocks the immune response to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm no way qualified to talk on recovery from injury, but I've read and heard several sources saying that you shouldn't take anti-inflammatory for post training muscle soreness/ DOMS, as it delays the muscle recovery/ adaptation. I'm aware this is perhaps a subtley different context to injury, but that appears to be the current advice and research for just muscle "soreness".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

RedRunner wrote: »
    The bolded comments would suggest its nothing serious ( not a medical opinion btw). You don't say if it hurts when running or have you not run since Monday night?

You might be overthinking it. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel some kind of ache.

Thanks, it didn't hurt as I continued my run on Mon and I haven't run since then (but have walked 2km each day to work).
    Yes I'm probably over-thinking it, ordinarily I'd just take it easy for a few days but just conscious of the half at the weekend.
    RIGOLO wrote: »
    Wear some bandage on it for a couple of days when walking, take it off at night, elevate the leg under a pillow when your sleeping, get some ice or cold compress on it during the evening.

dont wear heels for the rest of the week , perhaps a flatter shoe if you can.. (did i just mansplain,,apologies)

and see how you are. It sounds like you did strain it, having went over twice on it, but sounds manageable
    Come the race and adenalin will kick in. best of luck.

Thanks. Cos it wasn't swollen I didn't Ice it. I put the hot water bottle on it on Tues night to get the same type of relief you'd get from deep heat or a back pad. I stayed a short-arse and away from the heels in work for the rest of the week.

I think I really was overthinking it a bit and after resting it for a few days it feels much better.
    Touch wood - but I'm lucky enough I don't really get injuries - I'm only a recreational and social runner, so I take it handy enough and only race myself on occasion.

Advertisement