Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

eyrie wrote: »
    Is there any form of cross training that won’t make me lose the will to live? And better yet one that doesn’t require a gym? No? Oh right, that’s why we run. :p

Genuinely though, what do other people do for cross training? I’m starting to accept that it might be another week or two before I can do much running post-DCM so want to minimize the loss in fitness.

I swam while injured before DCM and did pool running. Just went to a public pool and they gave me a belt and off I went in the deep end. I watched some YouTube videos first.

But I’m just easy running for these couple of weeks and have organized a few coffee dates and things. I’d rather be getting my runs in but I know it’s better to let the body recover no matter how itchy my feet get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Is there any form of cross training that won’t make me lose the will to live? And better yet one that doesn’t require a gym? No? Oh right, that’s why we run. :p

Genuinely though, what do other people do for cross training? I’m starting to accept that it might be another week or two before I can do much running post-DCM so want to minimize the loss in fitness.

Elliptical, resistance low, cadence high, used fixed (not moving) handles. Wear a HR strap and get up into the easy zone. You can maintain fitness with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cycling does it for me.
    I do a bit of S&C as well, but not for mainatining aerobic fitness, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Cycling does it for me.
    I do a bit of S&C as well, but not for mainatining aerobic fitness, obviously.

I second cycling, I have found it great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

You don't need to worry about fitness loss. Raycun posted a great article upthread about post marathon.

Chill out for a couple of weeks basically. Introduce a bit of walking this week then slowly get back into it. Will pay dividends in your next block.

• Advertisement

Recovery is where the magic happens anyway, and although we've trained for months for that race, there's huge adaptations happening from the race itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Great, thanks for all the replies and cross-training suggestions everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Kuva wrote: »

As someone who turns 40 in a few weeks time I enjoyed reading that!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Kuva wrote: »

As someone who turns 40 in a few weeks time I enjoyed reading that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

My next marathon will probably be a flat one.

Previously I've always trained flat for a flat, but should I keep the hill training which I did for DCM in my training for a flat one?

Also, should I extend my 32km long training runs to 35/36km? Does this help on the last few kms on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Zebra3 wrote: »

Previously I've always trained flat for a flat, but should I keep the hill training which I did for DCM in my training for a flat one?

Also, should I extend my 32km long training runs to 35/36km? Does this help on the last few kms on the day?

Hill training will always stand to you. Keep some of it.

I think at least one run over 20 miles is handy to have under the belt if only psychologically. That way you won't have the 'oh, oh, the 20 mile mark' feeling on the day.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Definitely keep the hill training going. It will greatly strengthen your legs, which will always be a good thing, even on a flat course.

As for the longer long run, it depends how much it takes out of you and how long it takes to recover from it. You're not a novice so it's probably a good idea, but make sure you run it at a very easy pace.

Long runs are essential for a marathon, but if you overdo it then you will leave your race on the training ground (same with any other types of workout)

Here's a random one.

Glycogen.

Is it Gly So Gen or Gly Ko Gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    Here's a random one.

Glycogen.

Is it Gly So Gen or Gly Ko Gen?

The second one. Or Gly Kuh Gen to be exact :D

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/glycogen

Damn.

Just a quick question re spikes. I am going to try a bit of XC soon and also plan to try some NIA Live. Do I need spikes for indoor mile? Are the shoes needed for both totally different or is it just a case of changing the spikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'd say racing flats would be okay. XC spikes are to long and will damage the track. Maybe change the spikes in your xc shoes to 3 or 4mm. There isn't much difference in a xc shoe compared to a md shoe for someone dipping their toe in track racing.

I'd say racing flats would be okay. XC spikes are to long and will damage the track. Maybe change the spikes in your xc shoes to 3 or 4mm. There isn't much difference in a xc shoe compared to a md shoe for someone dipping their toe in track racing.

That's great...sure I don't even have flats. It's all support shoes in my locker. Good to know that one pair can do both jobs with a quick scrub and swapping a few spikes for short ones. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'm sure someone with more track experience will be able to give you better advice but here's a handy link
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/437454-what-is-the-difference-between-track-spikes-cross-country-spikes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I use track spike shoes for both XC and track but switch out the spikes depending on the conditions. Some call wearing a good set of track spikes out on an XC course sacrilegious and it can get a bit expensive as they usually aren't made to hold up running through bogs for very long but I find the feel and speed of a track spike much better and I generally don't have an issue running long distances in shoe with a big negative heel drop.

You'll be best off starting in XC spikes/flats if you've never wore anything other than training shoes as that's going to be a big enough transition as it is with heel drop. Track spikes would more than likely cripple you if you went straight to them from trainers even over really short distances so the benefits would be offset by a lot higher injury risk and fatigue during races when you are not used to just how stiff, unsupportive and how low the heel and cushioning is in a mid-distance track spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Normally there is a bit more support in XC spikes so good for track training and an occasional middle distance race. Standard spike length for track (indoor and out) is 5mm. Look for pyramid shape if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Hi all - looking at investing in a gel belt for a spring marathon but nothing jumping out at me online.

I will be using SIS gels, which I think are slightly bigger than some others on the market (?)

Cheers cm

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Hi all - looking at investing in a gel belt for a spring marathon but nothing jumping out at me online.

I will be using SIS gels, which I think are slightly bigger than some others on the market (?)

Cheers cm

Flip Belt all the way, have one for the last couple of years - plenty of room for phone/gels and you would hardly know you are wearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I did DCM last week, and I'm signed up for the Jingle bells 5k on 1st December. Its not overly important but I'd like to use some of the DCM fitness and try for a 5k PB there.

This week and last are rest weeks, so that leaves 2 weeks to do some running and then the week of the race itself. Is there anything simple I could do in that 2 weeks to improve my chances?

I don't necessarily mean a complicated 2 week plan, but should I just do 5k runs and try to increase the pace from the marathon pace I've been running? Do a bunch of shorter runs or sprints? Do whatever and just let the marathon training see me through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I did DCM last week, and I'm signed up for the Jingle bells 5k on 1st December. Its not overly important but I'd like to use some of the DCM fitness and try for a 5k PB there.

This week and last are rest weeks, so that leaves 2 weeks to do some running and then the week of the race itself. Is there anything simple I could do in that 2 weeks to improve my chances?

I don't necessarily mean a complicated 2 week plan, but should I just do 5k runs and try to increase the pace from the marathon pace I've been running? Do a bunch of shorter runs or sprints? Do whatever and just let the marathon training see me through?

I think some target 5k pace stuff is the best thing you can do. Do some 5k intervals and make the sessions get progressively tougher each week - maybe 8 x 600m off 50-90% interval time jogging recovery this week and, 5 x 1k off same next week. Maybe go on the generous side of the recovery.

Singer wrote: »
    I think some target 5k pace stuff is the best thing you can do. Do some 5k intervals and make the sessions get progressively tougher each week - maybe 8 x 600m off 50-90% interval time jogging recovery this week and, 5 x 1k off same next week. Maybe go on the generous side of the recovery.

I would caution against that. The injury risk when doing intervals so soon after a marathon is very high. Is the 5K worth that risk? I'd run the 5K without specific training beforehand and just do some easy running, with maybe a few strides thrown into a couple of runs in the last 2 weeks before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You might find you'll get a 5k bounce from your marathon training as it's mainly an aerobic event, I would run easy to ensure you have recovered, do some flexibility exercises and add in a handful of strides after a couple of your runs each week. If you feel your fitness is declining add some short tempo work to some of your runs, 2 x 2M for example, don't be overly concerned with the pace, somewhere between HM and MP, just enough to elevate your HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

You might find you'll get a 5k bounce from your marathon training as it's mainly an aerobic event, I would run easy to ensure you have recovered, do some flexibility exercises and add in a handful of strides after a couple of your runs each week. If you feel your fitness is declining add some short tempo work to some of your runs, 2 x 2M for example, don't be overly concerned with the pace, somewhere between HM and MP, just enough to elevate your HR.
    Yes I did a 5k pb on Saturday at my local parkrun after running the DCM so you should see a bounce. Only thing is my hamstring felt tight early this week so don't think I was fully recovered so be careful of that as mentioned by Beepbeep67.

Advertisement