Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I did DCM last week, and I'm signed up for the Jingle bells 5k on 1st December. Its not overly important but I'd like to use some of the DCM fitness and try for a 5k PB there.

This week and last are rest weeks, so that leaves 2 weeks to do some running and then the week of the race itself. Is there anything simple I could do in that 2 weeks to improve my chances?

I don't necessarily mean a complicated 2 week plan, but should I just do 5k runs and try to increase the pace from the marathon pace I've been running? Do a bunch of shorter runs or sprints? Do whatever and just let the marathon training see me through?

You might find you'll get a 5k bounce from your marathon training as it's mainly an aerobic event, I would run easy to ensure you have recovered, do some flexibility exercises and add in a handful of strides after a couple of your runs each week. If you feel your fitness is declining add some short tempo work to some of your runs, 2 x 2M for example, don't be overly concerned with the pace, somewhere between HM and MP, just enough to elevate your HR.
    Yes I did a 5k pb on Saturday at my local parkrun after running the DCM so you should see a bounce. Only thing is my hamstring felt tight early this week so don't think I was fully recovered so be careful of that as mentioned by Beepbeep67.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I did DCM last week, and I'm signed up for the Jingle bells 5k on 1st December. Its not overly important but I'd like to use some of the DCM fitness and try for a 5k PB there.

This week and last are rest weeks, so that leaves 2 weeks to do some running and then the week of the race itself. Is there anything simple I could do in that 2 weeks to improve my chances?

I don't necessarily mean a complicated 2 week plan, but should I just do 5k runs and try to increase the pace from the marathon pace I've been running? Do a bunch of shorter runs or sprints? Do whatever and just let the marathon training see me through?

You might find you'll get a 5k bounce from your marathon training as it's mainly an aerobic event, I would run easy to ensure you have recovered, do some flexibility exercises and add in a handful of strides after a couple of your runs each week. If you feel your fitness is declining add some short tempo work to some of your runs, 2 x 2M for example, don't be overly concerned with the pace, somewhere between HM and MP, just enough to elevate your HR.
    Yes I did a 5k pb on Saturday at my local parkrun after running the DCM so you should see a bounce. Only thing is my hamstring felt tight early this week so don't think I was fully recovered so be careful of that as mentioned by Beepbeep67.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

A lot of stiffness in the thighs the past few days. Foam rolling isn't really working. Ran 14 miles last sunday. Do I just require rest or is there anything else that might help ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

• Advertisement

Shared that link with some friends and one of them linked me to her Joe Rogan interview, haven't watched yet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8DfjXnIk6c&t=22s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

vargoo wrote: »

Courtney is phenomenal she won Moab Ultra 240 miles coming in 10 hours ahead of second place. I wonder if she will take on the Barkley Marathons
    Lazare wrote: »
    Shared that link with some friends and one of them linked me to her Joe Rogan interview, haven't watched yet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8DfjXnIk6c&t=22s

Watch it C, you will enjoy it, while you at it watch this a guy called Kerry full log of the race Moab 240 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50bp4ydFNsQ

amazing stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Spirogyra wrote: »
    A lot of stiffness in the thighs the past few days. Foam rolling isn't really working. Ran 14 miles last sunday. Do I just require rest or is there anything else that might help ? :)

Any other running since Sunday? How often would you usually run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Duanington wrote: »
    Any other running since Sunday? How often would you usually run?
    I attended a fitness class (weights,burpees,deadlift etc) on monday and Interval Training tuesday night. Parkrun yesterday....run 4 or 5 times most week. Mileage,I don't know. Hadn't done a really long run for maybe a month,or 5 weeks.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Courtney is phenomenal she won Moab Ultra 240 miles coming in 10 hours ahead of second place. I wonder if she will take on the Barkley Marathons

Watch it C, you will enjoy it, while you at it watch this a guy called Kerry full log of the race Moab 240 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50bp4ydFNsQ

amazing stuff :)

I watched it last night, she's an inspiration. So sound too, and funny.

Cheers for that link N, I'll get stuck into that too.

• Advertisement

Big's backyard looks like a tougher challenge than the Barkleys, certainly mentally. She would surely be nailed on to complete 5 loops at Barkley.

Big's backyard looks like a tougher challenge than the Barkleys, certainly mentally. She would surely be nailed on to complete 5 loops at Barkley.

If she can nail down the navigation and someone like Jamil Courey to help her in the first two loops it's finding the book and collecting your pages that can eat away at your time. It might take her two attempts but she is one who could do it!

Actually, you should check him out on youtube: run steep get high and another guy is Dan Whitehead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

anyone go running with your dog? if so what breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Zipppy wrote: »
    Not anymore but I did when I lived at home around 10 or 15 years ago. We had a border collie. As long as the dog is at least 12 to 18 months old, their bones haven't fully developed before that and can cause stress fractures and other problems especially running on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I take my 9-yr old Chocolate Lab up to 10-12k or so, he loves it.

In fairness I'm doing laps of a series of fields. He's running about sniffing and pi$$ing, catching up to me when I whistle, so he's not covering the full distance.

Longer runs I get bored doing laps; I change location to where he'd be a hindrance so I go solo. Then he gives me the guilt-trip eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've got a Bischon - miniature collie mix and she loves a little trot.
    I've kept it to 6k so far, in reality, she probably runs an extra k.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Go running with my 2 year old labrador - she'll happily do 5-8k but I generally don't run her faster than 8min/ml average. She'd probably do 20k per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

BeepBeep67 wrote:
    I've got a Bischon - miniature collie mix and she loves a little trot. I've kept it to 6k so far, in reality, she probably runs an extra k.

Cheers all..debating getting a dog but time wise long dogs walks on top of running most days could be an issue...plus I usually do north city runs so doggie mightnt be suitable...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Cheers all..debating getting a dog but time wise long dogs walks on top of running most days could be an issue...plus I usually do north city runs so doggie mightnt be suitable...

I have a little terrier about a year and a half and I run around Limerick city with her, usually early in the morning when the traffic is very light, average around 5 minute Ks, we’d usually do about 8k but she’d manage a weekend run of 15k no bother with a couple of piss, poo and sniff stops, it’s really no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

Trust me on this Lazare... nobody is nailed on to complete Barkley. The fastest runner entered in the race in pure running terms for the last 2 years has yet to complete a single lap (Mike Wardian, former world 100km silver medalist). Also bear in mind that Johan hasn't completed the 5 laps either.

• Advertisement

I certainly trust you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anywhere you can get a few pairs of 1000 miles socks at a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Anywhere you can get a few pairs of 1000 miles socks at a good price?

£4 here: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/tho292/1000-mile-original-anklet-sock/

But not sure if the postage would negate any savings or not.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    £4 here: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/tho292/1000-mile-original-anklet-sock/

But not sure if the postage would negate any savings or not.

They have Hilly socks at some great prices as well, I find them very good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

I guess this one may change from club to club but just wondering would clubs generally cover the cost of club members entering teams for county / provincial / national XC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I guess this one may change from club to club but just wondering would clubs generally cover the cost of club members entering teams for county / provincial / national XC?

Yes, generally, it's the club that enters you and pays for cross-country competition. If it's an individual entry, they might not but most clubs would (I presume!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We do, but other clubs might have a different policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

V02 Max question. Hello, I did that healthcare-provider free VO2 max test, and was surprised at how low mine was (42).

I've been running for years, so my low score obviously hasn't stopped me from enjoying running / exercise etc, but it was still quite depressing. I know I can try to improve it by doing more running / more speed sessions etc, but I was wondering, is there an element of luck / genetics to it? Maybe I'm one of those people who are fitness-resistant (or some similar name) who improve their fitness slower than others?

(Also, I'm in the middle of two weeks of no running, and I have a cough/cold, would either of those things affect it or is it more of a constant - ie you're either fit or you're not?)

(I'm going to try and not dwell on it too much because I don't want to start telling myself that I'm a terrible runner / have no V02 etc, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

HelenAnne wrote: »
    V02 Max question. Hello, I did that healthcare-provider free VO2 max test, and was surprised at how low mine was (42).

I've been running for years, so my low score obviously hasn't stopped me from enjoying running / exercise etc, but it was still quite depressing. I know I can try to improve it by doing more running / more speed sessions etc, but I was wondering, is there an element of luck / genetics to it? Maybe I'm one of those people who are fitness-resistant (or some similar name) who improve their fitness slower than others?

(Also, I'm in the middle of two weeks of no running, and I have a cough/cold, would either of those things affect it or is it more of a constant - ie you're either fit or you're not?)

(I'm going to try and not dwell on it too much because I don't want to start telling myself that I'm a terrible runner / have no V02 etc, :)

There is a genetic component to this definitely but the cold would have probably played a part.

Also worth bearing in mind that Vo2 is only one metric (measurement how much oxygen is transported through the blood) it is not a performance indicator. Running economy and many other aspects can be improved and translate to improved performance.

(Also worth pointing out that 35 ml/kg/min is average female figure and that those figures would be classified in the excellent to superior level so wouldn't start cursing your genetics too much :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

HelenAnne wrote: »

A VO2max score of 42 isn't that low. Have a look at this table. I don't know your age but you are certainly well above average.

There is certainly a big genetic component it it. In fact, When I started running there were still articles out there that claimed that VO2max is entirely genetic and cannot be modified via training. That turned out to be nonsense, but the fact that there is still a big genetic factor is indisputable.

Advertisement