Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Dudda wrote: »
    Are people still running in cold weather? Only started running myself 3 months ago about three times a week. I didn’t the last two days and probably won’t this evening as the footpaths are slippery and have areas of black ice.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Depends on the time of day. This morning I found the paths very slippy, if it's like that tomorrow morning I won't be running on it.
    But I'm just in from a run which was fine, and I don't expect running home to be a problem.

Grass is always fine to run on, if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I can only run late in the evening and it was already freezing here the last two nights by the time I was ready with a lot of ground snow and ice. It's snowed a lot of the morning here too and to freeze hard again tonight and tomorrow.

I’ve just remembered that Thursday is the operation transformation night where the GAA pitches light up tracks. That might work as I can’t think of any other safe place locally. Might be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Dudda wrote: »
    Are people still running in cold weather? Only started running myself 3 months ago about three times a week. I didn’t the last two days and probably won’t this evening as the footpaths are slippery and have areas of black ice.

I run early in the morning - 6am. Had to go back in one day last week because the paths were too slippy at that time to walk on never mind run on but for the most part its been ok. Pace is way down as even if i warm up inside first i find it hard to stay warm some mornings, but still getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My normal route had icy patches that made things tricky. Didn't fall but the benefit of a treadmill comes to mind in this type of weather.

If things stay bad over the next while I might use up a voucher I have for a gym and use their treadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I have the Asics Nimbus 20 shoe right now & want basically the exact same shoe

When looking on the Asics site there's a standard width & a "2E" width.
    Is there any way to know which shoe I have?

Can't see anything related on the inside of the tongue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

frash wrote: »
    I have the Asics Nimbus 20 shoe right now & want basically the exact same shoe

When looking on the Asics site there's a standard width & a "2E" width.
    Is there any way to know which shoe I have?

Can't see anything related on the inside of the tongue

2E are extra wide shoes, most if not all shoes sold in shops/online are standard width.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

OOnegative wrote: »
    2E are extra wide shoes, most if not all shoes sold in shops/online are standard width.

Cool thanks
    I'd gotten the current pair in Amphibian King and couldn't remember anything about width

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

If things stay bad over the next while I might use up a voucher I have for a gym and use their treadmill.

My normal route had icy patches that made things tricky. Didn't fall but the benefit of a treadmill comes to mind in this type of weather.

I have gym vouchers.. hate the gym.. but went tonight as it was freezin n lashing..did 5k plus 3 k intervals on treadmill.. pretty happy with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not long back from mine. All the ice had melted. Happy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Is there any advantage to wearing trail runners in icy weather? I'm trying to decide which shoes to wear for a 10k road run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Not really if you’re running on road. They’ll have the same grip as road shoes on ice.

They’re better on slush and great in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Phone holder - any body recommend one, amazon/ebay, 6 inch + I guess, future proof it abit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flex2016

vargoo wrote: »
    Phone holder - any body recommend one, amazon/ebay, 6 inch + I guess, future proof it abit.

I use a flipbelt

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Not for the first time during a race, I seem to hit a wall after 6-7miles. Legs just seem to die on me, this is at my supposedly tempo pace. It happened again today during the trim 10. In the previous weeks I've done tempo runs at this pace and not felt as bad. Just wondering where am I going wrong and what can I do to rectify it? My log can be found here: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057686916/9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Has anyone written a training log following the P&D 55 Mile plan? Just started it so be interested to hear from someone who has done it before

Does anyone get more knee related pains in the colder weather.

I am going buying thermal long compressions as i am hoping it is the weather. My knee is sore for a day or 2 after a run and only has been happening the last 2 weeks. Its sore when i push in the clutch when driving. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Does anyone get more knee related pains in the colder weather.

I am going buying thermal long compressions as i am hoping it is the weather. My knee is sore for a day or 2 after a run and only has been happening the last 2 weeks. Its sore when i push in the clutch when driving. Anyone else experiencing this?

Go see a physio before spending money on compression gear. If it’s sore driving the car it isn’t the cold affecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

deisedude wrote: »
    Has anyone written a training log following the P&D 55 Mile plan? Just started it so be interested to hear from someone who has done it before

It was 14 years ago, but I used the P&D 55 plan for a few of my early marathons.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2005/05/first-workout.html, and about 50 posts until the marathon. Jesus, that's almost a historical document.

I used the same plan 2 or 3 times more, as well as the P&D 70 plan once or twice subsequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

It was 14 years ago, but I used the P&D 55 plan for a few of my early marathons.

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2005/05/first-workout.html, and about 50 posts until the marathon. Jesus, that's almost a historical document.

I used the same plan 2 or 3 times more, as well as the P&D 70 plan once or twice subsequently.

Perfect will give that a read. Lol at the name of the blog :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think A here might know the P&D plan. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057692232/1

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

I am trying to set up a forest series (probably initially limited to Athletics Club members) and want to do it as low cost as possible in year 1 to see is it viable.

Any advice on where I go for insurance for the event - permits from forest owners are not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

You get it off athletics Ireland I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

IvoryTower wrote: »
    You get it off athletics Ireland I believe

Yes, I don't know the details but if you have low numbers and they are all club members insurance shouldn't be a problem. Talk to your county board about a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

deisedude wrote: »

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057219401/113 (scroll to Dec 14, 2015 for day 1)

From a few years back. Think I was close enough at the time to your race times. The training went well - not the target race itself, but that was a bit of an outlier weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

First of all I'm not asking for medical advice. I've been to the doc and now just waiting to get some tests done

Over the past couple of months I've noticed that after I do a run, long or short hard or easy. I've noticed discolouration/blood in my urine. Would this happen to others, maybe something that runners suffer from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This has happened to me from using certain gels. Could be food related, could be something else. Wait for the test results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

First of all I'm not asking for medical advice. I've been to the doc and now just waiting to get some tests done

Over the past couple of months I've noticed that after I do a run, long or short hard or easy. I've noticed discolouration/blood in my urine. Would this happen to others, maybe something that runners suffer from?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=running+blood+in+urine

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is two weeks sufficient recovery time between two 10 mile races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Is two weeks sufficient recovery time between two 10 mile races?
    General rule of thumb is 1 day per mile raced before doing any heavy session or race so 10 mile is 10 days gap. This is a general rule so if you are still feeling the previous race in the legs then you will need to skip the race or take it handy, bottom line is listen to your body!

Advertisement