Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Itziger wrote: »
    If I had one piece of coaching advice to give to new runners it would be:

Run 1 Slow/Easy
    Run 2 Slow/Easy
    Run 3 Neither of the above
    Run 4 Slow/Easy
    Run 5 Slow/Easy

If you were to get more complicated, I'd add. Run 1 and 5 longer than 2 and 4.

Repeat for 5 years :)

Came here to basically ask something along the lines of this.

To flesh this out a bit, I've been running 5k three times a week for the past couple of months. At the beginning it was all about getting faster and hitting PBs and all that (which is pretty easy when you're coming from nowhere), but thinking about it a little bit more deeply, my motivation is about fitness and weight loss. I'm not training for marathons or anything like that.

I'm at the point now where I'd like to step it up a little bit and put a little bit more structure on what I'm doing. I've recently upped my runs to 4 times a week, the fourth run being 10km+ at a pretty comfortable pace. I've looked around at training plans and the advice, for beginners in particular, feels very inconsistent. I'm not sure when to go fast and when to go slow, what sort of distances should I be aiming for etc etc. I think the fact I'm not aiming for a specific event makes it a bit more ambiguous as it's harder to find a "just get better at running" training plan.

My question is, what things do you wish you knew when you were just starting out? Are there any specific pieces of advice for someone like me with a lack of specific goals? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Serbian wrote: »
    Came here to basically ask something along the lines of this.

To flesh this out a bit, I've been running 5k three times a week for the past couple of months. At the beginning it was all about getting faster and hitting PBs and all that (which is pretty easy when you're coming from nowhere), but thinking about it a little bit more deeply, my motivation is about fitness and weight loss. I'm not training for marathons or anything like that.

I'm at the point now where I'd like to step it up a little bit and put a little bit more structure on what I'm doing. I've recently upped my runs to 4 times a week, the fourth run being 10km+ at a pretty comfortable pace. I've looked around at training plans and the advice, for beginners in particular, feels very inconsistent. I'm not sure when to go fast and when to go slow, what sort of distances should I be aiming for etc etc. I think the fact I'm not aiming for a specific event makes it a bit more ambiguous as it's harder to find a "just get better at running" training plan.

My question is, what things do you wish you knew when you were just starting out? Are there any specific pieces of advice for someone like me with a lack of specific goals? :D

Serbian, it is a bit tougher when you don't have a goal but you could always follow the plan more or less even if you're not going to race at the end of it. If you're up to 10k and doing it comfortably you'd be mad not to race the distance a couple of times. Would ya think of joining a club? A lot of people think clubs are only for super-serious runners, but that's not true.

As for paces and distances. Keep it simple for the most part. Mostly you should be tipping around and enjoying it. Once or twice a week (once if you're doing a total of 3 or 4 runs) you should think of doing what is known as a 'session' or a 'workout'. There are as many possibilities out there as there are numbers. But if you want to improve (you'll improve with consistent running even if you don't want to!!) you should think about types of workout and change things up every now and then. You'll get stale and plateau if you just keep doing the same thing. Be that 6x1k repeats or 24x200 repeats. I'd advise you to keep your long run easy and just up the distance a little every two weeks. Before you know it you'll be doing 15 or 16km runs. There'll be minor setbacks and weeks you feel $hite. That's fine, roll with it. Sure none of us are aiming for the 2020 Olympics.

So...... try Day 1, easy pace about 6k or whatever, Day 2 some speedwork maybe just Fartlek to begin with, Day 3 easy (again 5 or 6km), Day 4 the longer run also easy pace. After a while, if you stick at it you can start getting fancier. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Itziger wrote: »
    Serbian, it is a bit tougher when you don't have a goal but you could always follow the plan more or less even if you're not going to race at the end of it. If you're up to 10k and doing it comfortably you'd be mad not to race the distance a couple of times. Would ya think of joining a club? A lot of people think clubs are only for super-serious runners, but that's not true.

As for paces and distances. Keep it simple for the most part. Mostly you should be tipping around and enjoying it. Once or twice a week (once if you're doing a total of 3 or 4 runs) you should think of doing what is known as a 'session' or a 'workout'. There are as many possibilities out there as there are numbers. But if you want to improve (you'll improve with consistent running even if you don't want to!!) you should think about types of workout and change things up every now and then. You'll get stale and plateau if you just keep doing the same thing. Be that 6x1k repeats or 24x200 repeats. I'd advise you to keep your long run easy and just up the distance a little every two weeks. Before you know it you'll be doing 15 or 16km runs. There'll be minor setbacks and weeks you feel $hite. That's fine, roll with it. Sure none of us are aiming for the 2020 Olympics.

So...... try Day 1, easy pace about 6k or whatever, Day 2 some speedwork maybe just Fartlek to begin with, Day 3 easy (again 5 or 6km), Day 4 the longer run also easy pace. After a while, if you stick at it you can start getting fancier. Best of luck.

Nice one, appreciate the detail. I'm looking to up my distance on the longer run already. Didn't know about Fartlek, sounds interesting. I have been mixing in 10 minute interval running on a treadmill, this sounds a lot more enjoyable :D

I'll think about a club, I like the social aspect of running (I run with a bunch of friends), so I think that could work for me alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

vargoo wrote: »

Educate yourself then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

RayCun wrote: »
    I agree with all the advice on slowing down, as general training advice, but I don't think you are running enough for it to have an effect on your iron levels. Plus it usually takes a while for iron levels to deplete, so this could be something that started earlier. If you are trying to lose weight and have changed your diet you might not be getting enough iron in your diet any more.

Cheers. Doc reckons it was viral that caused the weakness as it lasted less than a week but probably exacerbated by diet and overdoing exercise. Blood pressure and physical all normal, bloods back next week.

But, I did head out this evening for my first run since asking advice here and took the pace way down. Had gone on my 3.5km loop, felt like I could have gone far further at the end, but didn’t wanna push it. Ended up with a 6.45 pace and while I broke a sweat and got the heart rate up, I never felt out of breath as before and found the gentler pace very enjoyable.

Many thanks again to all who gave the great advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

OOnegative wrote: »
    Educate yourself then.

I see we had a thread here, actually came across a live stream last night but didn't watch as didn't know. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Have been unable to run the past week due to my muscle strain. Have however walked about 20 miles. Does this contribute much towards running fitness or 'weekly mileage'?. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Have been unable to run the past week due to my muscle strain. Have however walked about 20 miles. Does this contribute much towards running fitness or 'weekly mileage'?. Thanks :)

In my experience ... no. I'm sure it's better than nothing but I always find the only way to build running fitness is to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Looking at booking some tune up races before Cork marathon. Doing the P&D55 plan and all the races are scheduled for Sat in the plan with the long run for Sunday

However all the races I'm looking at are on Sunday. Should I just switch it and do the long runs on Saturday? Not ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

deisedude wrote:
    However all the races I'm looking at are on Sunday. Should I just switch it and do the long runs on Saturday? Not ideal

Definitely not.

Any way you can do the long run on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Definitely not.

Any way you can do the long run on Monday?

One of them is a bank holiday so that week is fine but the other one I'm supposed to do 17 Miles. I might just have to suck it up and do it after work on the Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

deisedude wrote:
    One of them is a bank holiday so that week is fine but the other one I'm supposed to do 17 Miles. I might just have to suck it up and do it after work on the Monday

Definitely don't want to be racing on post long run legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Have to go out to Athboy later today. Will have an hour/hour and a half to kill. Any parks or anywhere to go for a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Hi all,
    I am currently in week 10 of my couch to 10K program. I am starting to really struggle. Week 10 consists of 3 x runs of:

5 Minute warm up (Fast Walk)
    15 Minute run
    1 Minute walk
    15 Minute run
    1 Minute walk
    15 Minute run
    5 Minute cool Down (Fast Walk)

i am covering about 5 miles doing this averaging around 10 min per mile whilst jogging.

I felt i was going really well up to this point. Now the wind was howling and raining last couple of nights ive been out but kinda feel i am going backwards. Appreciate any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Irishder wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently in week 10 of my couch to 10K program. I am starting to really struggle. Week 10 consists of 3 x runs of:

5 Minute warm up (Fast Walk)
    15 Minute run
    1 Minute walk
    15 Minute run
    1 Minute walk
    15 Minute run
    5 Minute cool Down (Fast Walk)

i am covering about 5 miles doing this averaging around 10 min per mile whilst jogging.

I felt i was going really well up to this point. Now the wind was howling and raining last couple of nights ive been out but kinda feel i am going backwards. Appreciate any advice.

First off, well done on what you've achieved so far. I'm not familiar with the couch to 10k programme, how many weeks altogether?

Secondly, windy weather aside, every runner regardless of ability is going to have days and weeks where energy levels are off, due to a whole host of reasons. That could be a factor?
    With wind, you have to adjust pace and expectations, its a very real resistance when it comes to running. If you are running into the wind and expecting to maintain the same pace as if when there's no wind, your effort levels have to be higher. Better off to slow the pace and keep effort level as before. Running into the wind can be demoralising.
    How many days a week is the programme? You may need a down week to freshen up.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Its a 14 week program running 3 days a week. My next run is week 10 run 3. Maybe your right regarding a down week as i haven't missed any training yet. Im trying to build up to DCM and i think consistency is key.

Cant wait for the bright nights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Irishder wrote: »
    Its a 14 week program running 3 days a week. My next run is week 10 run 3. Maybe your right regarding a down week as i haven't missed any training yet. Im trying to build up to DCM and i think consistency is key.

Cant wait for the bright nights!!

At 3 runs a week, once they're spaced out, you'll probably be okay to see the programme through to completion without a down week. Maybe slower pace on 2 of your runs and moderatly harder on 3rd. If the initial goal is to complete 10k in one go without a particular time in mind, I wouldn't be getting caught up in what pace you're running, once you can run the distance you can start working on some speed then.

Absolutely, roll on the bright evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

deisedude wrote: »
    Looking at booking some tune up races before Cork marathon. Doing the P&D55 plan and all the races are scheduled for Sat in the plan with the long run for Sunday

The other thing is that, from memory, the tune-up racing is optional, it’s not like you have to do them. If stuck for time, for me it would come down to which you feel is more important for where you are fitness wise - the race, or the LR, or both. If a sat race is not available, you could switch for a time trial, tempo or steady run. The LR on tired legs is the greater goal - how you tire them is flexible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

But, I did head out this evening for my first run since asking advice here and took the pace way down. Had gone on my 3.5km loop, felt like I could have gone far further at the end, but didn’t wanna push it. Ended up with a 6.45 pace and while I broke a sweat and got the heart rate up, I never felt out of breath as before and found the gentler pace very enjoyable.

Many thanks again to all who gave the great advice! :)

Just another update, I’ve done a few runs since and they’ve all been worlds apart from before. Previously, I’d finish a run being wiped, and feeling like I could go no further. Now that I’ve eased off the pace and stopped keeping such an eye on the clock, it’s become far more enjoyable. I headed out for a 5k on Wednesday, but this felt very different. Similar to walking, it wasn’t dictated by energy left in the tank, but it was more like “I’ll just run for as long as I feel like”, if that makes sense. I was getting to the end and felt really good, so added an extra loop to make it 7.5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm not thinking of this for myself just yet as I'm a little anxious about a tendon flaring.

But, when is the right time to introduce doubles?

I'm thinking soft doubles, 3m/4m, or 4m/4m. Easy days.

Or, is there much point?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't know if it's the right time, but I introduced doubles when it was easier to fit in two shortish runs a day than make time for a single longer run. And I wasn't in marathon training so didn't need the stimulus of longer runs in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't know if it's the right time, but I introduced doubles when it was easier to fit in two shortish runs a day than make time for a single longer run. And I wasn't in marathon training so didn't need the stimulus of longer runs in particular.

any negatives to double runs.?

Sheep1978 wrote: »

Laundry!

If you go from 8 miles Monday morning and 8 miles Tuesday morning
    to
    4 mile Monday am, 4 Monday PM, 4 Tuesday am, 4 Tuesday pm...
    then each run is easier but you have less time to recover after each one. Maybe you have to be more careful not to wear yourself out?

And if you are training for longer races, you want to run plenty of 90 minute+, 120 minute+ runs, you can't just run the same mileage in shorter runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ideal for someone training for 5k then?

Assume keeping it to no more than twice a week is advisable?

Lazare wrote: »

Assume keeping it to no more than twice a week is advisable?

Sure, would be fine for 5k training where you don't need any really long runs.

How often? Depends on your overall training. Are you doing doubles to increase your weekly mileage? Then introduce them slowly, to increase the miles slowly. I suppose even if your overall mileage stays the same you should introduce them slowly to see how you adapt. But I run twice most days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sheep1978 wrote: »

You don't get as much bang for the buck. 8 miles in a single run gives a bigger training boost than 2 x 4 miles.
    Lazare wrote: »

Not really, no. Running doubles is helpful once you reach the point where running the mileage in singles is starting to drain you rather than build you up. The vast majority of runners never get to that point (for me it was somewhere around 80-90 miles per week a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

So current 5km pb is about 19:1x (last summer). Also did a 40:01 10km in the race series. Achieved with no real plan other than try get out 3 or 4 times a week with one long (~15km) and one with some sort of speed (usually parkrun) and 1 or 2 little 5km easies.

Have added a little human to the house over winter so just getting back at it, and did parkrun in 19:45 last week, but would like to get 18:59 (who wouldnt?!). Question is how many km would I realistically need to be doing? Ideally it would be similar weekly mileage to last summer but just smarter or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I've been saying for the last year that I'd like to get into sprinting/shorter distance races and I saw this posted. I was thinking I should give it a go to have a benchmark to try and improve on throughout the year and possibly motivate me to join a running club.

https://www.nationalsportscampus.ie/nialive

My questions are am I mad to just jump in at the deep end with no experience or specific training? I've never even used a sprint block before or raced with lanes.
    What races would you recommend doing, if any? Do you need spikes and singlets and what are the rules/etiqutte?

I've been running the last 10 years but only get out 2-3 times a week as I have to fit them in around football training and matches.
    My runs consist mostly of 5k runs with hill sprints and intervals thrown in.

My 5k pb is 17:55.

I tried pushing myself a few times in the last few months to see how fast I could run different distances. I ran 200M in 27.5s, 400M in 61s and 1000M in 2min 56s. Take those with a helping of salt as the distance was measured with my Garmin and did them on a canal path.

• Advertisement

https://www.nationalsportscampus.ie/nialive

My questions are am I mad to just jump in at the deep end with no experience or specific training? I've never even used a sprint block before or raced with lanes.
    What races would you recommend doing, if any? Do you need spikes and singlets and what are the rules/etiqutte?

The NIALive races are quite relaxed afaik, so they're the perfect place to try sprinting.

You will need to use blocks in the 60m and the 200m, but they're not going to false start you for movement and I'm sure someone will give you a hand setting them up.

I'd do the 200 if you want to sprint, since it is less technical, your start from the blocks will matter less.

You don't need spikes, and you don't need a singlet.

There are usually faster and slower races, so just make sure you're in the slower one :)

Advertisement