Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

There's also a really good youtuber called Jaret Campisi who gives a lot of tips on the basics of sprinting(setting up and getting out of blocks, 400 pacing, training tips etc). He was really good athlete in his prime. Alot of his stuff now has nothing to do with athletics but if you type in his name and sprinting, you should find some good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

pac_man wrote: »
    Does anyone have the dates for these meets? I've looked on the site and can't seem to find them. I won't be able to make the next one but would love to try it out in the future.

This is the last one, in fact it was an extra date added

It's an excellent event , really well run and good atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That's a pity. I look forward to doing it in the future. Seems like the demand is there if they're putting on an extra date.

The graded meets will be starting soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

RayCun wrote: »
    The NIALive races are quite relaxed afaik, so they're the perfect place to try sprinting.

You will need to use blocks in the 60m and the 200m, but they're not going to false start you for movement and I'm sure someone will give you a hand setting them up.

I'd do the 200 if you want to sprint, since it is less technical, your start from the blocks will matter less.

You don't need spikes, and you don't need a singlet.

There are usually faster and slower races, so just make sure you're in the slower one :)

Thanks for that. Yeah there's no worry of me attempting to run in the faster races.
    Im thinking of running the 200m and one of the longer ones, like the mile or 3k, there's about an hour difference in starting times so I should be well recovered from the 200m.
    El CabaIIo wrote: »
    There's also a really good youtuber called Jaret Campisi who gives a lot of tips on the basics of sprinting(setting up and getting out of blocks, 400 pacing, training tips etc). He was really good athlete in his prime. Alot of his stuff now has nothing to do with athletics but if you type in his name and sprinting, you should find some good stuff.

Thanks, that's exactly what I need so I don't look totally out of place.

I'm planning on giving it a go, I'll report back with how I get on if I do.

Great, I'll look into that. Do you have to be a member of a club to do them?

Yes, you need to be a club member for insurance purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great, I'll look into that. Do you have to be a member of a club to do them?

Yes, as Ray says. Drogheda and District also put on a summer track series with a more relaxed approach to non-club runners (or so it has been in the past). Keep an eye on their web and facebook pages (and here).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Murph_D wrote: »
    Yes, as Ray says. Drogheda and District also put on a summer track series with a more relaxed approach to non-club runners (or so it has been in the past). Keep an eye on their web and facebook pages (and here).
    We (ddac) are having our usual graded series, maybe not as many dates as previous years, but it's definitely on, we are just a bit late announcing it. You don't need to be a club member to take part. We are also hosting the first ever Drogheda Irish Milers Meet on 12th July which might interest some.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

3.1 mile PB is 21.25

(I'm a miles baby and only this week realised theirs 3.1miles in 5K, I'm only a pastime runner, always solo)

To do 21 dead, what do you reckon for mile split times?

Did first 2 miles in 6.47 each today, mile 3 in 7.08.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can anyone recommend some good club websites?

Been tasked with giving our own club website a makeover and looking for inspiration!

Feel free to PM if you don't want to giveaway what club you run for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

http://www.droghedaanddistrictac.com

Nobody uses it though, everything goes up on the Facebook members page. I guess it's good to have for people thinking of joining and have been googling the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

What runners would you recommend for a beginner? Just started running (mixed with a good bit of walking) 2/3 times per week on paved surface. I'd like to get better running shoes as the ones I have are a bit hard and blocky. Will probably order online.

(Hope this is the right place for the question.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

What runners would you recommend for a beginner? Just started running (mixed with a good bit of walking) 2/3 times per week on paved surface. I'd like to get better running shoes as the ones I have are a bit hard and blocky. Will probably order online.

(Hope this is the right place for the question.)

Would strongly recommend going into a bricks and mortar store like Amphibian King.

Better value too, by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, do you know when you have a small injury that you feel more when you're walking than running? Let me explain: On Sunday I did a treadmill workout (6x1mile@10k pace) and I seem to have done a bit of damage to my right foot. Outside of the foot, between the small toe and the middle of foot. It's sore to walk on and sore to press with fingers. Thing is though, I jogged a six miler yesterday and it felt ok. Actually less sore than walking or even resting! Today again I can feel it. I rubbed some tiger balm and popped a small dose of Ibuprofen last night.......No change

I'm guessing I should rest up for a day or two and I know the charter says no medical advice..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, do you know when you have a small injury that you feel more when you're walking than running? Let me explain: On Sunday I did a treadmill workout (6x1mile@10k pace) and I seem to have done a bit of damage to my right foot. Outside of the foot, between the small toe and the middle of foot. It's sore to walk on and sore to press with fingers. Thing is though, I jogged a six miler yesterday and it felt ok. Actually less sore than walking or even resting! Today again I can feel it. I rubbed some tiger balm and popped a small dose of Ibuprofen last night.......No change

I'm guessing I should rest up for a day or two and I know the charter says no medical advice..........

Personally I'd run through it until it started hurting when I ran. You probably shouldn't listen to me though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ice it and see if you get any relief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Question for anyone doing the MSB 5k on Monday, or indeed general thoughts on Monday races: what do you do about your LSR? This isn't a goal race for me so I'm not tapering but I might do a mini taper or easy day or two before the race just so the legs are a little bit fresher. But missing the long run isn't ideal. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

eyrie wrote: »
    Question for anyone doing the MSB 5k on Monday, or indeed general thoughts on Monday races: what do you do about your LSR? This isn't a goal race for me so I'm not tapering but I might do a mini taper or easy day or two before the race just so the legs are a little bit fresher. But missing the long run isn't ideal. Any thoughts?

How long in your long run - is there any way you could do it on Friday perhaps or would that throw the rest of the week out too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Could you either bring the LR forward, say to Friday or Saturday or put it off a day or two? A 5k won't do too much damage so you'd be on for a LR - without 'stuff' - a couple of days later.

ariana` wrote: »
    How long in your long run - is there any way you could do it on Friday perhaps or would that throw the rest of the week out too much?
    Could you either bring the LR forward, say to Friday or Saturday or put it off a day or two? A 5k won't do too much damage so you'd be on for a LR - without 'stuff' - a couple of days later.
    Thanks both. Bringing it forward is probably be the best option, I might fit it in on Friday although it would mean skipping the tempo I would otherwise be doing then. But I guess it's better to miss the tempo than the long run?

Doing it a few days after the race would throw off the following week too much I think.

Are compression socks a gimmick or are they good for accelerating recovery?
    https://www.heraldtribune.com/entertainmentlife/20190312/ice-is-cold-comfort-but-can-delay-healing

Try and see how you get on, take 99% of gospel as bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks both. Bringing it forward is probably be the best option, I might fit it in on Friday although it would mean skipping the tempo I would otherwise be doing then. But I guess it's better to miss the tempo than the long run?

Doing it a few days after the race would throw off the following week too much I think.

Would it be too much to combine the two? 30minute warmup+tempo+30minute cooldown? I’d probably keep it easy myself but it might work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm doing MSB and my long run has been dropped from my plan for this week. It must be borne in mind that I raced a half last weekend. My plan is easy run tomorrow, session on Thursday, rest Friday, easy hour on Saturday and shakedown on Sunday.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Would it be too much to combine the two? 30minute warmup+tempo+30minute cooldown? I’d probably keep it easy myself but it might work for you?
    Actually that might work. I'll see how energetic I feel come Friday and decide whether to keep it easy or incorporate the tempo too. Could be manageable though!
    The other possibility is to bring the tempo forward to Thursday, long run Friday and easy over the weekend. Only gives me one rest day between sessions (tomorrow) but they're not crazy hard sessions. Might cut back on something all the same, I'll see. Thanks :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm doing MSB and my long run has been dropped from my plan for this week. It must be borne in mind that I raced a half last weekend. My plan is easy run tomorrow, session on Thursday, rest Friday, easy hour on Saturday and shakedown on Sunday.
    Ah well you're fully justified! I've no such excuse to be missing long runs, and I missed one two weeks ago as it is. I'll keep an eye out for you on Monday though ;)

I'm guessing theirs no set answer to this, everyone will be different.

5km, if you have a time in mind, divide by 5 and that's your KM time or go out a bit slower on first Km and make it up after???

Slightly faster on the first and last kms, and aim for ten seconds under your target time

Slightly faster on the first and last kms, and aim for ten seconds under your target time

OOh, that's different, I'll give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

vargoo wrote:
    5km, if you have a time in mind, divide by 5 and that's your KM time or go out a bit slower on first Km and make it up after???

Theres no right answer for this. Some people go out hard and hang on. Some people start slower and grow into the race. Which type are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭thefa

Doing a team relay in the marathon - both males and females. Any good recommendations for getting team singlets/shirts at a reasonable price?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for this. Why do you aim for slightly faster on the first km?

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. Why do you aim for slightly faster on the first km?

The first couple of hundred metres of the race will be fast. If you slow down too much in response to that, the second k will be too slow. So accept that you will start fast. If you pass the one k mark a few seconds ahead of pace you are probably going at the right speed at that moment. If you pass the mark at the 'right' time, you are going too slow at that moment.

Advertisement