Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Looking to settle a bet with a mate about distance covered playing 5 a side astro football. Would anyone know the reliability of using a garmin for this type of activity. I find it very good for longer distances but sometimes it gets a bit confused when I change directions a large number of times in a short period. Would people thing that the reading + or - 10% should be there or thereabouts. Is there anything else I could use to get a more accurate reading?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Looking to settle a bet with a mate about distance covered playing 5 a side astro football. Would anyone know the reliability of using a garmin for this type of activity. I find it very good for longer distances but sometimes it gets a bit confused when I change directions a large number of times in a short period. Would people thing that the reading + or - 10% should be there or thereabouts. Is there anything else I could use to get a more accurate reading?

Thanks
    Garmin will not be anywhere near accurate enough. Even a 10% margin of error is unlikely to be big enough. Too many changes in direction, GPS will just draw a straight line between two recorded points, and those points might only have an accuracy down to ~5 metres. At the 2014 world cup, the distances run was tracked by cameras and image-tracking software.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thanks

Unfortunately Garmin won't be accurate anywhere close due to the short multi directional burst nature of 5 a side, this would be the kinda thing you would be looking at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Random question here, I want to keep fit over the winter, iv had bad knees in the past, just wondering, do ye find much difference running on road, on treadmill , grass etc, would proper runners be just as important, iv never done much road or treadmill running and play gaa during the summer, but as I get older and have a family iv been training less and getting to play less, so come oct I'm not awful fit, I prob won't play next year, so basically anyone with badish knees really suffer road running and find treadmill or grass better,

Grass is easiest on the knees, then the tready. I'd be inclined to start off cautiously with those and venture onto the roads if you're having no issues. Even then if you stick to tarmac over concrete it makes a significant difference.

Shoes are a personal thing but the general advice on here would be to get assessed for runners that suit you. That said I've run in all sorts without a minutes's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Random question here, I want to keep fit over the winter, iv had bad knees in the past, just wondering, do ye find much difference running on road, on treadmill , grass etc, would proper runners be just as important, iv never done much road or treadmill running and play gaa during the summer, but as I get older and have a family iv been training less and getting to play less, so come oct I'm not awful fit, I prob won't play next year, so basically anyone with badish knees really suffer road running and find treadmill or grass better,

Short grass with firm earth under it is best of all, IMHO. Once it gets wet and sloppy, it's time to move to trails (Coillte tracks, bark-mulch paths, anything softer than tarmac). None available - tarmac is softer than concrete, and generally smoother.
    Treadmill is easy enough on the knees, but the movement is very repetitive, and lacks the variation that outdoor running gives you.

Bottom line - a well-drained grass surface is the way to go. Around the edge of football pitches is generally a good option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Why always me

Cheers my local pitch is a few miles away and as wet as hell in the winter, I'd hate the creeky knees to ruin this before I get going properly, thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone recommend some good running routes (6 miles or so) starting point in Sligo town centre?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone recommend some good running routes (6 miles or so) starting point in Sligo town centre?
    cheers

I'd recommend running along the Garavogue River towards Doorly Park (heading west on South side of river). Follow the gravel path along the river. Then do a lap of Cleaveragh Park (opposite Sports Centre), followed by a lap of the racecourse (tarmac or grass paths available). Lots of runners around this area most of the time. That's about 3 miles. From there make your way back the same route or along Pearse Road (see map).

Alternative would be to run out to somewhere like Hazelwood 5K from town. If you have transport, you are spoiled for choice - see http://www.sligowalks.ie/?pagid=home&menu1_topicid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone recommend a fast/fair 5 k race to enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jingle Bells 5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a fast/fair 5 k race to enter?

Where?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Where?

Sorry, Dublin or surrounding/close counties!

Sorry, Dublin or surrounding/close counties!

Haven't run it, but the St Anne's Pk run is meant to be pretty slick.

Here's a bunch of 5k's I got an email on the other day.
    05th Oct - WARR 2014

05th Oct - Raheens Caragh Naas 5k & 10k

07th Oct - DUBLIN NIGHT RUN Park West 5km or 10km

11th Oct - Lions Club Roscrea 10k / 5k Charity Run

18th Oct - Punchestown 5km and 10km Run 2014

19th Oct - 5k Run in aid of Action Breast Cluskey's Centra Cancer

02nd Nov - Bull Run - 5k Run/Walk Navan

02nd Nov - Cabinteely Couch to 5km Family Fun Run

08th Nov - Run for Mary 5km Run/Jog/Walk

12th Nov - Life Style Sports Run in the Dark (Dublin)

12th Nov - Life Style Sports Run in the Dark (Cork)

12th Nov - Run in the Dark Pop Ups

22nd Nov - Puck Warriors Jingle Run

23rd Nov - Stook 10 Mile (and 5k dash) Road Race

30th Nov - Santa Dash Galway 2014

07th Dec - Santa Dash Dublin 5K and 10K 2014

26th Dec - west sligo 5k and 10k fun run

Haven't run it, but the St Anne's Pk run is meant to be pretty slick.

Here's a bunch of 5k's I got an email on the other day.

Thanks for the info. I must check the St. Anne's Park one.

RayCun wrote: »
    Jingle Bells 5k

It's on in the Phoenix Park, December 6th. Is this where it is always run?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's on in the Phoenix Park, December 6th. Is this where it is always run?
    Yep. It's organised by Donore Harriers running club, and is very well-run.

There's quite a large elevation drop over the course, small rise over the first ~1k, flat/slight downhill for ~3k, and a very fast final k. Arguably it's, if anything, too fast. If you knocked out a sub-16 on this course, I don't know if it would translate to a sub-16 on the track.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Yep. It's organised by Donore Harriers running club, and is very well-run.

There's quite a large elevation drop over the course, small rise over the first ~1k, flat/slight downhill for ~3k, and a very fast final k. Arguably it's, if anything, too fast. If you knocked out a sub-16 on this course, I don't know if it would translate to a sub-16 on the track.

Excellent. I think I will enter this.

Do any of you find a difference (time wise mainly) between running in warmish conditions, May-September compared to quite chilly conditions? December 6th will likely be quite cold. I have never ran a race in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

How much of the benefits of a lsr do you lose if it is split - I was hoping to do 20 miles tomorrow morning but how have to bring my daughter to the dentist. I could manage 12 miles beforehand and then 8 miles after (estimate a gap of about 1.5 hours between both). For other reasons Sat & Sun are out. I'm trying to decide if it is worth doing this tomorrow morning or waiting till Monday (when I would have to take some time off work to do it !)

Opinions welcomed please !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

dna_leri wrote: »
    I'd recommend running along the Garavogue River towards Doorly Park (heading west on South side of river). Follow the gravel path along the river. Then do a lap of Cleaveragh Park (opposite Sports Centre), followed by a lap of the racecourse (tarmac or grass paths available). Lots of runners around this area most of the time. That's about 3 miles. From there make your way back the same route or along Pearse Road (see map).

Alternative would be to run out to somewhere like Hazelwood 5K from town. If you have transport, you are spoiled for choice - see http://www.sligowalks.ie/?pagid=home&menu1_topicid=0
    Thanks so much for that info! I don't know the area at all so this is very useful and the link too. River run sounds nice. Any restaurant recommendations?
    Btw your advice a few months back on eating closer to running has proved very successful for me. I can eat only an hour before now and no stitch and more vim!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

kit3 wrote: »
    How much of the benefits of a lsr do you lose if it is split - I was hoping to do 20 miles tomorrow morning but how have to bring my daughter to the dentist. I could manage 12 miles beforehand and then 8 miles after (estimate a gap of about 1.5 hours between both). For other reasons Sat & Sun are out. I'm trying to decide if it is worth doing this tomorrow morning or waiting till Monday (when I would have to take some time off work to do it !)

Opinions welcomed please !

There are people much more expert than me here, but for what it counts. There must still be benefits 'cos if nothing else you're doing the second run on tired legs. Maybe someone else could comment on whether you should do one of the two a little bit faster or not.

Itziger wrote: »
    There are people much more expert than me here, but for what it counts. There must still be benefits 'cos if nothing else you're doing the second run on tired legs. Maybe someone else could comment on whether you should do one of the two a little bit faster or not.

I was in the same predicament last week, ran 10+ in the morning and then an 8+ progression run in the evening. Not a like for like as your taping into fatigue rather than fatigue and depletion, but definitely felt the benefits from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

i hope to do a half maraton before the end of the year. what should my long run be. plan on 50 plus miles a week with a long one of 15 miles. does that sound sensible. 15 out of 50 just seems like a big chunk so afraid i might be over doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

i hope to do a half maraton before the end of the year. what should my long run be. plan on 50 plus miles a week with a long one of 15 miles. does that sound sensible. 15 out of 50 just seems like a big chunk so afraid i might be over doing it

That's a fair old weekly mileage for a Half. Personally I'd cut it back and concentrate on a bit of quality. But no, 15 is fine for a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Question for the speed merchants.
    Want to improve my 5K time (20:15) so did Reps for the first time 20 * 200 @ a bit under 1 Mile Pace with 200M jog recovery. For me that was 44 secs with approx 1:10 on the recovery. They felt relatively easy and I did the last 3 @ 43 42 and 40 which would be well under my 1 Mile Pace approx 6:00 minute.

Should I a) increase the speed or b) reduce the recover or c) both

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ger664 wrote: »
    Question for the speed merchants.
    Want to improve my 5K time (20:15) so did Reps for the first time 20 * 200 @ a bit under 1 Mile Pace with 200M jog recovery. For me that was 44 secs with approx 1:10 on the recovery. They felt relatively easy and I did the last 3 @ 43 42 and 40 which would be well under my 1 Mile Pace approx 6:00 minute.

Should I a) increase the speed or b) reduce the recover or c) both

With interval training for 5k you are probably best trying to do one session a week at goal distance pace (5k) and then alternate one session every two weeks at 3k pace and 10k pace. While it is important to touch on mile pace every now and again as a 5k runner, it bears little relation to the pace you want to run in a 5k race. The general idea with interval training is to either reduce the recovery or increase the volume/rep length. So you could do an 8 week block where for the first four weeks you do:

12x400m
    8 or 9x600m
    6 or 7x800m
    6x1k @ 5k race effort all with 90 secs recovery

Then after four weeks repeat the same block but reduce recovery to 60 (this is just an example, there are different ways to skin a cat. Alternatively you could repeat each of the above sessions twice, the first week with 90 secs recovery, the second with 60. This was you are building volume and decreasing the recovery). Throw in the odd tempo run and a good long run every week and you'll smash a new PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

pconn062 wrote: »
    With interval training for 5k you are probably best trying to do one session a week at goal distance pace (5k) and then alternate one session every two weeks at 3k pace and 10k pace. While it is important to touch on mile pace every now and again as a 5k runner, it bears little relation to the pace you want to run in a 5k race. The general idea with interval training is to either reduce the recovery or increase the volume/rep length. So you could do an 8 week block where for the first four weeks you do:

12x400m
    8 or 9x600m
    6 or 7x800m
    6x1k @ 5k race effort all with 90 secs recovery

Then after four weeks repeat the same block but reduce recovery to 60 (this is just an example, there are different ways to skin a cat. Alternatively you could repeat each of the above sessions twice, the first week with 90 secs recovery, the second with 60. This was you are building volume and decreasing the recovery). Throw in the odd tempo run and a good long run every week and you'll smash a new PB.

Pretty much completely agree- I'd do one rep session and one tempo per week though- get that LT down! I'd also race at least every 3-4 wks... For 5k especially lots of racing makes a difference. Do lots of strides as well to help turnover.

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Pretty much completely agree- I'd do one rep session and one tempo per week though- get that LT down! I'd also race at least every 3-4 wks... For 5k especially lots of racing makes a difference. Do lots of strides as well to help turnover.

Also depending where your own opportunity is endurance / speed, don't forget to maintain a reasonable distance for your long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Also depending where your own opportunity is endurance / speed, don't forget to maintain a reasonable distance for your long run.

Question: What is reasonable? Starting to look past DCM and I think my 5km and 10km PB's can be taken on. Long run means ~20 miles for the moment!

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    Question: What is reasonable? Starting to look past DCM and I think my 5km and 10km PB's can be taken on. Long run means ~20 miles for the moment!

There's no harm in maintaining a 90 min run at the weekend (10k pace +25%) and 60 min mid-week, drop it when you have a race and on alternate weeks if feeling fresh drop a little progression in there towards the end.

Advertisement