Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    Good idea. I may wait a couple of weeks though, will have a better idea after a couple of sessions.

Trust me, it's in you to do it.... As Davey says, back yourself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

crisco10 wrote: »
    So current 5km pb is about 19:1x (last summer). Also did a 40:01 10km in the race series. Achieved with no real plan other than try get out 3 or 4 times a week with one long (~15km) and one with some sort of speed (usually parkrun) and 1 or 2 little 5km easies.

Have added a little human to the house over winter so just getting back at it, and did parkrun in 19:45 last week, but would like to get 18:59 (who wouldnt?!). Question is how many km would I realistically need to be doing? Ideally it would be similar weekly mileage to last summer but just smarter or something..

Just to answer my own question 3 months on, I did 18:50 at a race last week. Didn't really do anything that complicated, just consistently hit 30 to 40km a week. Worked a few genuinely hard sessions in also, e.g. Hill Reps, 3 x 1 mile etc.

But really feel the real training effect came from consistent miles week on week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Might be a silly question or observation...
    But is there a such thing as it being difficult to run too slow?
    The reason I ask - I was running on Sat morn - doing a pace of around 6:30 mins/km. My son ran with me for a bit. His running pace is around 23mins for a 5km. He got fed up running with me after 3km, he said it was actually hard to run so slowly at my pace. Is there really such a thing as not being able to run too slow or was himself just bored. He went off and ran at his own pace for the last 2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Trust me, it's in you to do it.... As Davey says, back yourself ;)

Cheers man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    The reason I ask - I was running on Sat morn - doing a pace of around 6:30 mins/km. My son ran with me for a bit. His running pace is around 23mins for a 5km. He got fed up running with me after 3km, he said it was actually hard to run so slowly at my pace. Is there really such a thing as not being able to run too slow or was himself just bored. He went off and ran at his own pace for the last 2km.

I think it can take practice to run slow but kids naturally try and do everything fast anyway and have no patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

It is quite tough to run a lot slower than you can. I paced my daughter to a 58.xx 10k a few years ago. The pace and the stride and everything about it just felt wrong. If it wasn't my daughter, I'd have wished 'em well after a few kms and fooked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I once ran with 2 guys and they were doing about 13-minute miles. I found it really hard.

Everything felt wrong, my rhythm was totally out of whack and I struggled to keep my running form from deteriorating completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Bananaleaf,

I hope you got on well with the Doc today. Sounds like you have some good training under your belt which will stand you in good stead. In 2017 I had a double hernia op, I ran pretty much right up until I had mine done ( based on the advice of the consultant)

I was back running 4 weeks after the operation; pretty light stuff but got back quick enough. Getting it sorted now seems ideal.

Any questions feel free to drop me a PM; good luck with everything.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

Posted this in the DCM Mentored Novices Thread too but am now thinking there might be more traffic here. If I can't have the same post in two places at once then could the mods delete this one please. And thanks.

An ultrasound tomorrow will hopefully confirm for sure, but it looks like I have a hernia. Swelling began on Thurs. Went to A&E last night. I'm not looking for medical advice, I will get that tomorrow from my doc, but just in a bit of a mood about it at the moment. My training has been very good and very consistent.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an issue this is likely to be? I've private health insurance so would be hoping to have what needs to be done ASAP. I know I haven't yet been diagnosed and that everyone is different, but am expecting to be waiting 6weeks until I can return to training. Say 7 when you factor in getting the diagnosis and the procedure if needed.

Boards plan starts in 5weeks if I've done my maths right.

Am I screwed or am I lucky that it has happened now rather than later?

Thanks for the replies about the slow running. It does make sense so if he finds it difficult to run as slow as me! I have asked him before to pace me to try get sub 30 but he refuses! I'll let him away so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks for the replies about the slow running. It does make sense so if he finds it difficult to run as slow as me! I have asked him before to pace me to try get sub 30 but he refuses! I'll let him away so!!

If you can make St Anne's parkrun on the last Saturday of the month they'll have a pacer for you. I did 29 on Saturday. They had pacers from 20-34 so if you can join us.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    If you can make St Anne's parkrun on the last Saturday of the month they'll have a pacer for you. I did 29 on Saturday. They had pacers from 20-34 so if you can join us.
    Thanks a mill. I'm midlands based so it's not really a runner (haha!!). I think Mullingar have done pacers, so I must suss them out cos I've been close to 30 mins when I've run there - the long run back along the cycleway gets me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

30 minute 5k would be a nice easy run pace for him. He just doesn't want to do it. ;-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all

Posted this in the DCM Mentored Novices Thread too but am now thinking there might be more traffic here. If I can't have the same post in two places at once then could the mods delete this one please. And thanks.

An ultrasound tomorrow will hopefully confirm for sure, but it looks like I have a hernia. Swelling began on Thurs. Went to A&E last night. I'm not looking for medical advice, I will get that tomorrow from my doc, but just in a bit of a mood about it at the moment. My training has been very good and very consistent.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of an issue this is likely to be? I've private health insurance so would be hoping to have what needs to be done ASAP. I know I haven't yet been diagnosed and that everyone is different, but am expecting to be waiting 6weeks until I can return to training. Say 7 when you factor in getting the diagnosis and the procedure if needed.

Boards plan starts in 5weeks if I've done my maths right.

Am I screwed or am I lucky that it has happened now rather than later?

Sorry to hear that! Hope it all goes ok. Speaking from observing others with this surgery, not from personal experience - it's not major surgery, but it is surgery and the anaesthetic will take it out of you a bit, plus you will have a wound of whatever size (depending on whether it's open or keyhole) that you'll have to look after.

I'd say 4-6 weeks and you should be fine to start training. tell your surgeon what you want to do and he or she can advise. the main thing is to listen to your surgeon and heal right and heal once - rather than setting yourself back.

Post-op restrictions are usually more to do with lifting things etc for a few weeks, rather than running / walking, so you should be fine! Good luck, and all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭The Davestator

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that! Hope it all goes ok. Speaking from observing others with this surgery, not from personal experience - it's not major surgery, but it is surgery and the anaesthetic will take it out of you a bit, plus you will have a wound of whatever size (depending on whether it's open or keyhole) that you'll have to look after.

I'd say 4-6 weeks and you should be fine to start training. tell your surgeon what you want to do and he or she can advise. the main thing is to listen to your surgeon and heal right and heal once - rather than setting yourself back.

Post-op restrictions are usually more to do with lifting things etc for a few weeks, rather than running / walking, so you should be fine! Good luck, and all the best with it.

I've had two hernia surgeries and the recovery took a lot more out of me than I thought or expected.
    The last one was keyhole and I was very surprised about how sore I was afterwards. everyone is different, but I dont think I was back training properly for close to 10 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Anyone know what the South East Games in Waterford is about? Is it standard track races or what?

Lazare wrote:
    Good idea. I may wait a couple of weeks though, will have a better idea after a couple of sessions.

Looks like you got your wish even if you didn't ask for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thanks a mill. I'm midlands based so it's not really a runner (haha!!). I think Mullingar have done pacers, so I must suss them out cos I've been close to 30 mins when I've run there - the long run back along the cycleway gets me though.

Longford have pacers this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Looks like you got your wish even if you didn't ask for it!

Oh nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Was doing Cork full today and had a bad day at the office. Took a gel (The one I normally take) and my stomach turned. Try to run through it but had to call it at mile 16. Disappointing given I had a really good training cycle behind me and was going well until I had the gel

Would I be mad to sign up for Waterford on the 22nd? I know I've a good marathon in me but today wasn't my day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

deisedude wrote: »
    Was doing Cork full today and had a bad day at the office. Took a gel (The one I normally take) and my stomach turned. Try to run through it but had to call it at mile 16. Disappointing given I had a really good training cycle behind me and was going well until I had the gel

Would I be mad to sign up for Waterford on the 22nd? I know I've a good marathon in me but today wasn't my day

Something similar happened me in 2017, collapsed after 19.5 miles in Barcelona to PB in Limerick 5 weeks later. Can't see there being any issue really, take it easy this week, 16 miles or so at MP is still taxing on the body.

• Advertisement

Is 18/12/10mins@ Tempo the same as 4x10mins@Tempo? I can’t program the first into the Garmin!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Is 18/12/10mins@ Tempo the same as 4x10mins@Tempo? I can’t program the first into the Garmin!!

Are you doing it from Garmin Connect? What’s the problem?

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Are you doing it from Garmin Connect? What’s the problem?

Yeah trying to K but can’t figure it out at all. Technically stupid!!!

Yeah trying to K but can’t figure it out at all. Technically stupid!!!

It should be easy enough. What's going wrong?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It should be easy enough. What's going wrong?

Nothing going wrong S, haven’t a blues clue how to do it. 4x10mins no issues but when it comes to a session of different times I can’t put it onto the watch.

So do you know how to do it from Garmin Connect itself? That’s the easiest thing I think.

Sorry, just saw you were trying to. It should be just adding steps and moving them to the right place.

What's the off time between B?

Nothing going wrong S, haven’t a blues clue how to do it. 4x10mins no issues but when it comes to a session of different times I can’t put it onto the watch.

Go into Garmin connect. Select set up a workout. That should show a page with warmup, run and recover on it. Delete the warm up and recover. Look for the add a step and press it 5 times so that your workout now has 6 steps. Change each one accordingly to run or recover, set the paces, save the workout and then send it to the device.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    So do you know how to do it from Garmin Connect itself? That’s the easiest thing I think.

Sorry, just saw you were trying to. It should be just adding steps and moving them to the right place.

Rather than wrecking yer heads & not making myself look/sound stoopider than I am i’ll just go with the 4x10mins. I’ll progress to Strava in the next 5-6 years i’m sure.....

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Go into Garmin connect. Select set up a workout. That should show a page with warmup, run and recover on it. Delete the warm up and recover. Look for the add a step and press it 5 times so that your workout now has 6 steps. Change each one accordingly to run or recover, set the paces, save the workout and then send it to the device.

Show me in October!!

Advertisement