Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »

Got it thanks to P, K and yourself S. Thanks all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

OOnegative wrote: »

Enjoy the session now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Kellygirl wrote:
    Enjoy the session now!

That's what stuck out in my mind. Haha. It's not the most pleasant looking session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Not looking for medical advice (because I've had this exact thing before and know it goes away & is nothing) - just interested to see if anyone else gets this. I got a bad stitch in the last k and a half of the mini marathon on Sunday, which I tried to push through (though I'm sure I looked like I was crawling / hobbling!). I'm still sore in the stitch location (just under my ribs) today!

It was much sorer yesterday & Sunday night, but it's still sore to stretch, breathe in or touch. I've had this before about twice over the years. Do you think running hard through a stitch causes a pulled muscle or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Feckin runners... Just did a light 6km last night.. Shooting pain is calf and behind knee this morning. The last couple of runs have been so uncomfortable. Roll on pay day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done B - the session will be a doddle after that. To answer the original Q, no, I don’t think those sessions are comparable. 18 mins at T is much harder than 2x10, for instance (is for me anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

rizzee wrote: »
    Feckin runners... Just did a light 6km last night.. Shooting pain is calf and behind knee this morning. The last couple of runs have been so uncomfortable. Roll on pay day!

Your runners would likely have to be in some sorry state to cause any sort of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Your runners would likely have to be in some sorry state to cause any sort of injury.

They've a lot of milage on them that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Not looking for medical advice (because I've had this exact thing before and know it goes away & is nothing) - just interested to see if anyone else gets this. I got a bad stitch in the last k and a half of the mini marathon on Sunday, which I tried to push through (though I'm sure I looked like I was crawling / hobbling!). I'm still sore in the stitch location (just under my ribs) today!

It was much sorer yesterday & Sunday night, but it's still sore to stretch, breathe in or touch. I've had this before about twice over the years. Do you think running hard through a stitch causes a pulled muscle or something?

I’ve had that twice. Once it was so bad that the doctor decided it was my gallbladder and I had to go for a scan etc. Both times have been after I’ve eaten jellies while running and not sure if it’s something to do with gulping in air or something. First time round the docs decided it was a pulled muscle under or in and around my ribs. It eventually went away after a couple of weeks. I never eat solids while running now and just stick to gels. I got a stitch in the same place again after gulping water during my hm on Sunday but it didn’t last luckily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Something similar happened me in 2017, collapsed after 19.5 miles in Barcelona to PB in Limerick 5 weeks later. Can't see there being any issue really, take it easy this week, 16 miles or so at MP is still taxing on the body.

Thanks for the reassurance. Signed up for Waterford yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’ve had that twice. Once it was so bad that the doctor decided it was my gallbladder and I had to go for a scan etc. Both times have been after I’ve eaten jellies while running and not sure if it’s something to do with gulping in air or something. First time round the docs decided it was a pulled muscle under or in and around my ribs. It eventually went away after a couple of weeks. I never eat solids while running now and just stick to gels. I got a stitch in the same place again after gulping water during my hm on Sunday but it didn’t last luckily.

Glad you were OK on Sunday!

I had it once before, years ago, when I got a stitch in my first half marathon and kept running through it. It was the same on Sunday, I tried to mind-over-matter my way through it and now I'm paying for it :) (& I didn't even run a good time after all that!) I didn't eat or drink anything weird, but it was hot and windy, so maybe I was thirsty, or putting in a lot of effort.

I'm sure it will go away over the next few days! Glad to hear someone else has had it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

For anyone running 5+ days a week. How many times a week would you add strides to your runs? What would you think about adding strides at the end of your easy runs the day before your sessions, then more after your warm up before your sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

For anyone running 5+ days a week. How many times a week would you add strides to your runs? What would you think about adding strides at the end of your easy runs the day before your sessions, then more after your warm up before your sessions?

At most I have two sets of strides a week but more often than not it's usually one. Typically on Monday after easy run the day before Tuesday session. If I was to do a second and the legs were up for it it would be after Thursdays easy run before the Friday session. But I don't do strides as a session warmup. I'm not sure what the upper limit on strides in a week is.

I was looking at Daniels plans for 5 to 10k and he'd have strides the day before and after your first session of the week then the day after your second session

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Club warmups before sessions tend to include strides. That said, I never do them if my session is done on my own. I always do them before races (up to 10k) though, after a fairly vigorous dynamic warmup.

Strides at the end of easy and recovery runs can’t harm you, in my opinion. Sometimes do them, sometimes don’t.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Glad you were OK on Sunday!

I had it once before, years ago, when I got a stitch in my first half marathon and kept running through it. It was the same on Sunday, I tried to mind-over-matter my way through it and now I'm paying for it :) (& I didn't even run a good time after all that!) I didn't eat or drink anything weird, but it was hot and windy, so maybe I was thirsty, or putting in a lot of effort.

I'm sure it will go away over the next few days! Glad to hear someone else has had it too!

I'm prone to the same issue, and boy has it happened a number of times during the mini marathon, but I've finally figured out it's not a stitch as such... It's trapped wind, which seems to happen if I eat the wrong stuff or drink fizzy drinks in the hours before a run, even the night before. It also *always* happens if I gulp in air whilst taking water on board. So... Much the same as Kellygirl! The pain can last for days afterwards... Not sure why, but it's pretty unpleasant.
    I also think it tends to be worse/more likely during a race because of adrenaline maybe? Cortisol? Stressors that don't usually feature in a training run, though it has happened me on training runs too when I gulp down water by mistake... I do it, and immediately think "sh1t... I'm gonna pay for that" :o
    So... Teeny, tiny sips. Just about enough to wet the inside of your mouth, as often as you like really. You may be able to bring the trapped wind up by accentuating your breathing out, and try to hold yourself good and tall whilst running. I often find that the wind comes up as I go downhill after a climb. Avoid wind-inducing foods :o... For me, that's dairy, pasta, bread, beans (of course :D), cabbage, sprouts, fizzy drinks. I run on an empty tummy now, preferably before breakfast. It has really helped.
    If the worst comes to the worst, if I stop running and double over at the hips, holding my ankles, just for a few seconds, it brings almost instant relief and helps bring that bloody air bubble up!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Club warmups before sessions tend to include strides. That said, I never do them if my session is done on my own. I always do them before races (up to 10k) though, after a fairly vigorous dynamic warmup.

Strides at the end of easy and recovery runs can’t harm you, in my opinion. Sometimes do them, sometimes don’t.
    I got in the habit of doing strides after my warm up jog, dynamic stretches, and drills before any session with my club so I keep doing them, even if it's a solo effort. It's kind of like a ritual now. I found it interesting how Daniels is adding strides 3 to 4 times a week after easy runs. I suppose if you're running your easy runs easy and doing your strides correctly there won't be a problem. And slowly build them up too. I'd be interested to see if anyone has followed a similar plan that includes strides 3 or 4 times a week and if they found it beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

One for the early morning runners.

I am trying to get into a routine of running before work rather than after to help improve my sleep. Done 8k this morning on an empty stomach and it was tough going, felt really sluggish. Would you eat before going or would this cause stomach upset?

Or how about an energy gel just before I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

mutley18 wrote: »

I am trying to get into a routine of running before work rather than after to help improve my sleep. Done 8k this morning on an empty stomach and it was tough going, felt really sluggish. Would you eat before going or would this cause stomach upset?

Taking an energy gel before every morning run isn't healthy. Try eating a banana instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

If it's just an easy or recovery run I don't eat before running in the morning. The sluggishness helps me stick to an easy pace! Also, I'm not sure if this has any basis in science or fact but I feel it helps me keep my weight down.

If I'm doing a session or long run I'll have something small and light to eat and then wait until it has settled. Some people find bananas take a while to digest so it'll take trial and error to find what suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

For me, eating just before an early run doesn't work. I'll have a small strong coffee or nothing. Energy levels won't be as high as if you did it later in the day, especially if it's a speed session, but I like my early morning runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

If it's less than 10km, I'd usually just have a glass of water and go. Longer, just a piece of fruit with that water, maybe try to have extra with dinner the night before.

Paces are defo lower in the morning, by as much as 30sec per km, but I just think about it as being all about the effort levels as opposed to pace. And its another slight pressure to put my body under and train it to run fast when its a bit depleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You can educate your body over time to run in the morning at whatever paces you would normally run in the afternoon or evening, just build up to it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You can educate your body over time to run in the morning at whatever paces you would normally run in the afternoon or evening, just build up to it over time.

Not entirely convinced.

I do the vast majority of my running in the morning, so you'd think I have my body educated by now. However, I still find I happen to run faster in the evenings, on the few occasions when I do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I will be in athlone in a few weeks. Is the track in A.I.T open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Some people find bananas take a while to digest so it'll take trial and error to find what suits you.

The more ripe a banana is the quicker it is digested. Very ripe bananas also have more carbs IIRC. I keep a few bananas whose skin is practically black and the flesh very soft just for eating before a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

A coffee, a dump and out the door. Takes about 3k to wake up, gennerally slow recoveries or a long run. I try not to do hard sessions, always feel too hard.sessions are much slower and harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

This imo.

Run almost exclusively early mornings, never eat beforehand. Sluggishness was prob due to not being used to it. You get well used to it though.

Wake, check weather, dress, sip water, out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Q1. Which of these two options offer the best adaptation benefits for someone 5k training?

4x 800, 2x 600 with 60% jog recovery, 8 miles total with warm up & cool down.

Or

5k race, 8 miles total.

Q2. Which option would you choose 8 days out from a target race?

Advertisement