Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Are you sure your nutrition and hydration are what they should be? The heat would take a bit out of you, that’s for sure. I’ve often done long runs and loved to have had a nap after but with two smallies it’s never an option. I do know a couple of my friends with no kids will happily take naps though after long runs so maybe it’s normal enough but maybe do a system’s check of everything else?

Two weeks ago I had to abandon a long run at 30k because I hadn't hydrated properly. Turns out you need electrolytes and salts in the water.

But even then it didn't wipe me out like yesterday left me. I'm going to check in with my doctor later in the week if I haven't perked up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Could the heat account for the drop in expected time and that I might be overthinking it by looking for other reasons such as training or preparation?

Honestly it could be 101 things. The heat definitely plays a part but it could be a host of things like training, sleep, nutrition, recovery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Fenster wrote: »
    Two weeks ago I had to abandon a long run at 30k because I hadn't hydrated properly. Turns out you need electrolytes and salts in the water.

But even then it didn't wipe me out like yesterday left me. I'm going to check in with my doctor later in the week if I haven't perked up more.

What are you training for? Doing 30k in training suggests you are very close to running a marathon. If so then it's not a great time to hope for a 10k PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How big of a factor is this recent heat? Speaking in general terms obviously.

This may be of interest for marathon running at least. I’m sure it can be applied to shorter races too (but not too short - it’s nice to have a bit of heat for shorter and middle distance events.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gkPHFwXSJY3HskO7MCUzTyJGTvW8J0oAnW0vbT5tQAw/htmlview?pli=1

skyblue46 wrote: »
    What are you training for? Doing 30k in training suggests you are very close to running a marathon. If so then it's not a great time to hope for a 10k PB.

Training for the Reykjavik marathon. Four weeks left! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've no affiliation with Clane AC but came across their Twitter yesterday and saw their new grass track. Looks unreal. https://twitter.com/ClaneAc?s=08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

deisedude wrote: »
    I've no affiliation with Clane AC but came across their Twitter yesterday and saw their new grass track. Looks unreal. https://twitter.com/ClaneAc?s=08
    That looks good. I wonder how much cheaper it is to use astro turf than a track surface? Or would astro turf need more maintenance than a track?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

deisedude wrote: »

Wow. Nice. Does “facility for the whole
    community of Clane” effectively mean anyone can use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Anyone who runs in the countryside experiencing a plague of flies following them at this time of year? It is so fcking annoying. I dont stink I promise :(

Murph_D wrote: »
    Wow. Nice. Does “facility for the whole
    community of Clane” effectively mean anyone can use it?

Not sure but I would assume so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

mutley18 wrote: »
    Anyone who runs in the countryside experiencing a plague of flies following them at this time of year? It is so fcking annoying. I dont stink I promise :(

Me too. My lunchtime run goes through a small wooded area and I'd nearly swear the same 20 lads are waiting for me every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Time of the year vegetarianism goes out the window for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Yep. I purposely went out for my run in the pouring rain today at lunchtime rather than this evening to get a break from them. It was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Are we talking the fly along behind you buzzing kind or the tiny, stick to your forehead with sweat, kind?
    Both types find me irresistably attractive, apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

No flies on me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lazare wrote: »
    No flies on me

:pac:

Lazare wrote: »
    No flies on me

They only go after slower moving targets! :pac:

I ran after dark last night for that winter run feeling. No flies were getting on this pretty face!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Yes Countryside runner here too and its horrible.

But what is worse is when you see them swarming away from the lumps of wet dung in the middle of the road as you approach!!!
    I keep my mouth firmly shut:eek: Id rather have them following me that trying to jump down my throat....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don't know if it was posted on this thread or the DCM novice thread or if I was just imagining it but was there a link somewhere for a website to plot out a running route on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I don't know if it was posted on this thread or the DCM novice thread or if I was just imagining it but was there a link somewhere for a website to plot out a running route on it?

www.mapmyrun.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

https://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

https://onthegomap.com/#/create

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

If you use Strava, you can plot a route on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have heard great things about komoot:
    https://www.komoot.com/plan/

Apparently strava's route mapping option is a deliberate but poor rip-off of komoot's functionality.

I have heard great things about komoot:
    https://www.komoot.com/plan/

Apparently strava's route mapping option is a deliberate but poor rip-off of komoot's functionality.

Thanks for sharing. Way better than other sites I've used for route plotting

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭thefa

Started training for my first marathon recently and following a standard plan with a long run a week. 2 weeks and 12 runs in I’m always getting blisters on the long runs but never on the shorter easy and tempo runs. Is this likely to be just my feet getting used to longer distances or am I likely to be wearing runners that aren’t the perfect fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You’ll need to let people know what type of runners you’re wearing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

thefa wrote: »
    Started training for my first marathon recently and following a standard plan with a long run a week. 2 weeks and 12 runs in I’m always getting blisters on the long runs but never on the shorter easy and tempo runs. Is this likely to be just my feet getting used to longer distances or am I likely to be wearing runners that aren’t the perfect fit?
    Dehydration can be a cause for blisters also. With the warmer weather you may not be adequately hydrated for the longer runs. Can be runners either. Are they new or have you them a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭thefa

I’m wearing brooks gts 18, chosen because I overpronate - have logged 270km on them so far.

Advertisement