Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm wearing Brooks too. No problem here with blisters. Are you newer-ish to running? My feet are a mass of calluses.

Has anyone suggestions for a continuation running plan after a marathon? Upcoming race aside, I've come to really enjoy the challenge of a tough training plan. Nothing in mind so far beyond some half marathons, but I want to keep in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Fenster wrote: »
    Has anyone suggestions for a continuation running plan after a marathon? Upcoming race aside, I've come to really enjoy the challenge of a tough training plan. Nothing in mind so far beyond some half marathons, but I want to keep in motion.

The Grads plan in the attached link has a base training plan that might help? You could do that for 6 weeks and then choose one of the other plans? After the marathon though you’d want 3 weeks of very easy running first though.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108718779&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

thefa wrote: »
    I’m wearing brooks gts 18, chosen because I overpronate - have logged 270km on them so far.

You know.....you shouldn't be running at all with that.

Fix the cause. Probably take months/do something else in the meantime.

Also, I've been reading a good bit about biomechanics/shoes/etc lately. Fix it and then get the flattest/no heel/light material shoe you can get.

Lots of studies ongoing at the moment trying to find the cause of the massive increase into knee/hip replacement, looking at obesity/medications/modern food/older folk.

May all well be a part but It's flipping shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭thefa

I'm wearing Brooks too. No problem here with blisters. Are you newer-ish to running? My feet are a mass of calluses.
    This is my second pair of Brooks and find the quality great.

Quite green when it comes to distance running so need to earn my stripes alright. My feet take a fair bit of punishment from Gaelic but never any blisters. Have invested in more blister patches today to get me through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hoping this is irony - over-pronation is not an injury or a disability. Very much doubt it's caused by dehydration either. WTF has become of this forum!
    Blisters are caused by heat/friction in presence of moisture aka sweat. Make sure the runners fit well - not too tight, nor too loose, and not rubbing at certain points such as ankle or 1 toe.
    Can't stop the sweat in this weather but get good socks to absorb it. Lots of people use the 2-layer type, 1000-mile brand is good.
    There is a certain amount of callousing for beginners but blisters are not inevitable.

vargoo wrote: »
    You know.....you shouldn't be running at all with that.

Fix the cause. Probably take months/do something else in the meantime.

Also, I've been reading a good bit about biomechanics/shoes/etc lately. Fix it and then get the flattest/no heel/light material shoe you can get.

Lots of studies ongoing at the moment trying to find the cause of the massive increase into knee/hip replacement, looking at obesity/medications/modern food/older folk.

May all well be a part but It's flipping shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Started training for my first marathon recently and following a standard plan with a long run a week. 2 weeks and 12 runs in I’m always getting blisters on the long runs but never on the shorter easy and tempo runs. Is this likely to be just my feet getting used to longer distances or am I likely to be wearing runners that aren’t the perfect fit?

Put some Vaseline (or similar) onto the areas that are prone to blistering before your long run. Blisters are caused by friction. New shoes are often the cause, and if you get them in reasonably worn in shoes then they are probably not the best fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Put some Vaseline (or similar) onto the areas that are prone to blistering before your long run. Blisters are caused by friction. New shoes are often the cause, and if you get them in reasonably worn in shoes then they are probably not the best fit.

+1 to this. Suffered a little with blsters when i started running, but this did the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

This is my second pair of Brooks and find the quality great.

Quite green when it comes to distance running so need to earn my stripes alright. My feet take a fair bit of punishment from Gaelic but never any blisters. Have invested in more blister patches today to get me through!

+1 on the socks - when I was marathon training I found certain socks much more comfortable than others for the long runs (especially in hot weather). I like feetures and twin skins.

Also, I used to find that sometimes I got blisters during long runs when my shoes were beginning to wear out. i generally don't suffer from blisters, so blisters on the side of my toes etc were generally a sign that I needed new shoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I know the answer to this question is probably 'adrenaline!', but pacing parkrun on Saturday got me thinking about how paces feel easy or hard depending on the circumstances.

For example, if I'm racing a parkrun, I'm delighted with a time under 20.30, and happy with under 21 - and those paces feel hard. I'm wrecked after. (6.40-45 pace?)

I paced 24 minutes on Saturday (really enjoyed it, well done to all my pacees), about 7.40 pace, and within the context of the parkrun that felt very comfortable. I didn't feel like I was jogging, but I could talk and wave and encourage and was comfortable. On the other hand, when I'm running on my own - like on my run-commute - I'd feel like I was working hard at 8.30 pace (I generally run closer to 9 min pace) and I'd be struggling to break 8 minute pace.

Why does it feel SO different? is it all in the mind? Or is it also because I warm up before parkrun (even for pacing), don't have to stop and start and weave around pedestrians etc.

Anyone else feel the same way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It is a lot easier maintain a quicker pace without realising when you are with other people. You drag each other on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

What lifespan would a pair of Asics GT-1000 have on average? I am over 550km now in them and all kms have been done on roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

mutley18 wrote: »
    What lifespan would a pair of Asics GT-1000 have on average? I am over 550km now in them and all kms have been done on roads.

I generally get about 1000 km in mine but my o/h wouldn't go over 800, so it really depends.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    The Grads plan in the attached link has a base training plan that might help? You could do that for 6 weeks and then choose one of the other plans? After the marathon though you’d want 3 weeks of very easy running first though.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108718779&postcount=1

Thank you very much for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

I treat Runners the same as Car tyres - check the tread depth. if theres no uneven wear underneath, no problem, keep running in them...some people get 2000km out of a pair. I overpronote so I tend to wear extra on one side of the heel - after about 600km theres enough gone that it starts to cause me problems as theres an extra 1-2mm missing from one side. However, on my racing flats i don't have this issue (obviously I'm more on my toes 99% of the time in my racing flats as I'm going at race pace) so the runners last until they begin to fall apart at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Are the 1000's suitable for marathon distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

The most I have done in them is 25k, no issues at all!

Many, many runners have run many, many marathons with those shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 helenawalsh

I'd say it really depends on the way you step when you run, that's why the distance run by people in shoes may vary from one another. Either way, I would try those as most runners purchase them.

Should I learn to stop worrying and love the food? I eat more-or-less right (vegetarian and food prep), though I worry about my calorie count on a regular basis. I keep count of calories because I struggle with stress eating. My maintenance calories/day right now in training are around ~2500, though some days with crap food I can go north of 3000. Should I just go with it?

• Advertisement

Should I learn to stop worrying and love the food? I eat more-or-less right (vegetarian and food prep), though I worry about my calorie count on a regular basis. I keep count of calories because I struggle with stress eating. My maintenance calories/day right now in training are around ~2500, though some days with crap food I can go north of 3000. Should I just go with it?

I hate calorie counting, I think it's a gateway drug to eating disorders.

Instead weigh yourself regularly and you will find out quickly if you are eating too much or too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I hate calorie counting, I think it's a gateway drug to eating disorders.

Instead weigh yourself regularly and you will find out quickly if you are eating too much or too little.

I eat when I am hungry these days and dont worry too much about calories while still just trying to focus on healthy eating and how my body is feeling. I will generally indulge the odd time, I like a beer or two sometimes. I train hard so I dont need to worry about these things too much. I do keep an eye on my weight and judge based on this more than anything. I tend to be a bit of a snacker and usually go for fruit and nuts to try keep me going.

Well judgement aside, I'll take the hint and not worry about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sussex18

Can anyone recommend any links for foot strengthing exercises? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2fXDnWIqQI

I used to do some of these exercises

walking on your tippy toes is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Happy Friday!!,

Going to buy a pair of 1000 mile socks this evening for my half to full marathon runs. For similar distances, any other suggestions??

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Happy Friday!!,

Going to buy a pair of 1000 mile socks this evening for my half to full marathon runs. For similar distances, any other suggestions??

Cheers.

I got a pair and did not like them at all. Something about the double layer felt uncomfortable. Aldi and Lidl running socks are the best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

gypsylee wrote: »
    I got a pair and did not like them at all. Something about the double layer felt uncomfortable. Aldi and Lidl running socks are the best for me.

Yes, to be treated with care. I got a blister recently from an anti-blister pair of 1,000 mile socks. X Bionic (I think that's what they're called) are good. I get 'em reduced online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Happy Friday!!,

Cheers.

Hilly Marathon Fresh.......my go-to-sock :)

• Advertisement

gypsylee wrote: »

Same here. The double layer socks were the only socks that ever gave me blisters.

Advertisement