Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Lazare wrote: »
    I wouldn't write it off if you manage to get back running by Sep. I would re-assess your goal though, based on experience.

You will lose fitness unfortunately.
    Depends what your goal is. If it's just finishing then any length can be managed. If you want to run your best possible PB, then that's a problem.

I once missed 6 weeks of training for my goal race, once I got running again I had about 3 weeks of training plus 2 weeks of taper left. I sure wasn't in top shape but I managed to get through it in decent shape, despite the long break.

Thanks. It will be the middle of next month at the earliest before I'm back on the road. Touch and go whether I'll make the start line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Does anyone here use nasal strips? Or used 'em in their heyday - yours or the strips......

I have had a kinda problem all my life with nasal breathing and I have wondered about these fellas more than once. I know they've been dismissed by most experts as being next to useless but I wonder if anyone could comment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    Does anyone here use nasal strips? Or used 'em in their heyday - yours or the strips......

I have had a kinda problem all my life with nasal breathing and I have wondered about these fellas more than once. I know they've been dismissed by most experts as being next to useless but I wonder if anyone could comment here.

My left nostril opens about once per year, so use them in target races.
    I find it helps a little, I tried various brands, but keep coming back to Breathe Right Clear and find sizing down is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Got a really bad head cold (genuine man flu) and was knocked for six for around 5 days. Was due to do a long run (DCM) but obviously didn't. Don't normally get colds, but had been very busy and doing a lot of mileage so probably a bit run down, going to go for a slow run today and see how I feel.
    So question is, after been ill, how long should you wait before getting 'really' stuck back in.
    Do people still run with head colds etc and what medicines do you take. I'm a platelet donor so limited myself to lemsips and stayed away from the decongestants and paracetamols. Do decongestants allow you to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Is multiplying your most recent HM time and adding on 20 mins the general rule of thumb for working out a potential Full Marathon goal time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Is multiplying your most recent HM time and adding on 20 mins the general rule of thumb for working out a potential Full Marathon goal time?

Depends if you are running 70mins or 170mins for the half

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Depends if you are running 70mins or 170mins for the half

Sorry should have said 92 mins for HM. I have another 6 weeks of training to do before taper time and just wanted to get an idea of a realistic Marathon target time for Dublin. I know all these things are subject to variability!

Sorry should have said 92 mins for HM. I have another 6 weeks of training to do before taper time and just wanted to get an idea of a realistic Marathon target time for Dublin. I know all these things are subject to variability!

92 mins for Half..... Multiply by 2 and add 12 or 15 mins unless you've trained brilliantly for this marathon and/or you're a diesel runner. In which case add 10. But yeah, there are lots of variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

2 out of the 3 times that I've run the race series half followed by DCM I've ran DCM exactly at HM time * 2 + 20 minutes - (1:36 + 3:32, 1:27 + 3:14)! It was wildly off last year though (I ran HM * 2 + 1 minute).

As a finger-in-the-air guesstimate it's not terrible, but everybody and every race is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Singer wrote: »
    As a finger-in-the-air guesstimate it's not terrible, but everybody and every race is different!

20 minutes add-on seems excessive and probably a sign of weak endurance. Having said that, almost everyone has weak endurance on their first few marathons. I still think 2 * HM + 10 or 15 would be more accurate for most, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

20 minutes add-on seems excessive and probably a sign of weak endurance. Having said that, almost everyone has weak endurance on their first few marathons. I still think 2 * HM + 10 or 15 would be more accurate for most, though.

I find 2 x HM time + 10% HM Time good over a wide range.

e.g
    75min Half = 2 x 75 + 7.5min = 2:38
    80min half = 2 x 80 + 8min = 2:48
    85min half = 2 x 85 + 8.5 = 2:59
    90min Half = 2 x 90 + 9min = 3:09
    110min Half = 2 x 110 + 11min = 3:51

spc78 wrote: »
    I find 2 x HM time + 10% HM Time good over a wide range.

e.g
    75min Half = 2 x 75 + 7.5min = 2:38
    80min half = 2 x 80 + 8min = 2:48
    85min half = 2 x 85 + 8.5 = 2:59
    90min Half = 2 x 90 + 9min = 3:09
    110min Half = 2 x 110 + 11min = 3:51

Yeah, whether you agree or not with the 10% it does make more sense to talk about %s in any case rather than a raw number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Do people wear normal runners for running on grass? Not XC or anything, just training runs. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

yep

ariana` wrote: »
    Do people wear normal runners for running on grass? Not XC or anything, just training runs. Thanks.

I'm guessing normal will be the answer. If it's wet and muddy Irish winter fields, maybe a type of trail runner......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Normal...and often I'd wear runners that are past their best before date for road running as the softer ground lessens the need for cushioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Normal...and often I'd wear runners that are past their best before date for road running as the softer ground lessens the need for cushioning.

Good point, i wouldn't have thought of that. And they're going to get wrecked as well from the wet so even better to be wearing an old pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Same. My local parkrun course gets wet and mucky in the winter season so I use my old runners for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Fusitive wrote: »
    Hydration and sodium. I use what's called an ORS(oral rehydration solution) drink after drinking or when I'm really dehydrated because water needs sodium to be absorbed properly, otherwise you just pass it or further dilute your sodium levels.

1 litre of water
    6 teaspoons of sugar
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    Squeeze of lemon to flavour and for vitamins.

This is essential a drinkable version of a saline drip you get in hospital and is a homemade electrolyte drink. Drink that before going to bed when on the sauce and it should get rid of your cramping and it will also help hugely with hangover symptoms.

Back to this..
    Off the road following a bad virus n fever...
    Mad cramps in both my calves thus last week..can barely walk..well I can't Actuaally walk..
    GoT bloods done....very very low sodium levels...
    Gonna get sodium levels back to normal and I should be fine :)
    So you're spot on with your post. Good man ..

• Advertisement

I clicked on a runner's profile on Strava today and I was looking at their Half and Marathon PBs. Both are fairly impressive, faster than me anyway :)

Then I scrolled down to details and discovered that both were almost 100% downhill courses. Do people target these for PBs and would you count a massive net descent course as a PB?

The marathon course went from 1,600 metres to 800. 35 of the 42 kms were downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I wondered how the Killarney half marathon was so popular until I saw the profile

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/824523

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I clicked on a runner's profile on Strava today and I was looking at their Half and Marathon PBs. Both are fairly impressive, faster than me anyway :)

Then I scrolled down to details and discovered that both were almost 100% downhill courses. Do people target these for PBs and would you count a massive net descent course as a PB?

The marathon course went from 1,600 metres to 800. 35 of the 42 kms were downhill.

Do they count for BQs or the like?

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Do they count for BQs or the like?

I dunno tbh. Both were in USA mind and I know there's another one out West that's also very downhilly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I dunno tbh. Both were in USA mind and I know there's another one out West that's also very downhilly!!

Well, I might have difficulties counting it as a PB but if it gave me a BQ, I probably wouldn't feel too guilty using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

There's a load of races in the USA that are basically designed so that they're downhill and fodder for BQing. I wouldn't feel great about a PB on an obnoxiously downhill course. Jingle Bells in The Phoenix Park has a similar reputation for being "PB friendly", i.e. net downhill, however not extremely so (though its run at the start of December, usually in obnoxious weather conditions).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Nope bare feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'll go with bare feet too for grass. It feels good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

just to be clear ariana, 99.9% of people train in runners, if i switched to bare feet tomorrow i'd be injured before the week is out. It's not something I would advise anyone to jump straight into

Advertisement