Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

PerryB78 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Newbie on this thread but looking for some help with an ongoing issue. Have been running intermittently for 20 odd years, done a few DCM series races going up to half marathon in 2017. Am an active gym goer doing spin hiit, crossfit and normal gym in that time but I've always had an issue with shin splints whenever my running has ramped up. Would anyone have any advice as to what I can do to alleviate this, have tried foam rolling, massages, gait analysis but it always flares up as soon as I increase my running sessions, thanks in advance

Shin splints when starting out running is a classic case of too much too soon. No amount of massage, foam rolling or gait analysis will prevent that if you're pushing more load on your leg muscles than they can handle.

It's rather common, I had shin splint myself two or three times in the first year when I started running. When it flares up, stop running until it's completely gone (2 or 3 weeks, usually) and then start again, but with a more measured amount of running.

The good news is that once your legs are adapted to running, shin splints won't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

http:/www.facebook.com/KarlOsteopath/photos/a.655422941223134/655422957889799/?type=3&theater

a photo of me doing a stretch I use for shin splints, it is in photos of stretches on my facebook for my clinic.

basically sit on your heels, with toes pointed underneath you. This elongates tibialis anterior or shin muscle. I do it as part of a warm down after run.

Agree with TFBubendorfer about too much too soon, but this may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Two questions, I have being thinking about for the last little while any input greatly appreciated.

1) in a heavy training block and if you could, would you take a sleep during the day or run the batteries down completely and just head to bed earlier. Is a sleep during the day robbing Peter to pay Paul by having a broken sleep at night.

2) I was listening to the runner bean podcast a few weeks back and they were saying caffeine and carbs help to restore glycogen levels faster. Any one with any experience of this or articles about it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Two questions, I have being thinking about for the last little while any input greatly appreciated.

1) in a heavy training block and if you could, would you take a sleep during the day or run the batteries down completely and just head to bed earlier. Is a sleep during the day robbing Peter to pay Paul by having a broken sleep at night.

2) I was listening to the runner bean podcast a few weeks back and they were saying caffeine and carbs help to restore glycogen levels faster. Any one with any experience of this or articles about it.

Thanks.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080701083456.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

just 5 or 6 coffees, grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Thanks.

For the second part I believe this was the study that was being referred to

https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ijsnem/28/3/article-p284.xml

This would depend on the type of training though i.e recovering from glycogen depletion rather than simply recovery from every run. A coffee and banana can be beneficial from this aspect (and if you wanted a bit of protein make it a latte or flat white for the protein component but this is not as important immediately after training despite the common misconception of the "30 min window"

For the first part of your question I would say if you are training hard then one should not affect the other. Might take a bit of time to get accustomed but if this is the case I would look to sleep hygiene moreso than simply the amount of sleep i.e blue light in the room, possible mental deload before get into bed, blackout curtains/eye masks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

KSU wrote: »
    For the second part I believe this was the study that was being referred to

https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ijsnem/28/3/article-p284.xml

This would depend on the type of training though i.e recovering from glycogen depletion rather than simply recovery from every run. A coffee and banana can be beneficial from this aspect (and if you wanted a bit of protein make it a latte or flat white for the protein component but this is not as important immediately after training despite the common misconception of the "30 min window"

For the first part of your question I would say if you are training hard then one should not affect the other. Might take a bit of time to get accustomed but if this is the case I would look to sleep hygiene moreso than simply the amount of sleep i.e blue light in the room, possible mental deload before get into bed, blackout curtains/eye masks etc.

Thank you for the response. Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.

I am fairly good for sleeping at night except for the toilet break... But wouldn't have trouble getting back to sleep. But yet could still wake up feeling fatigued. My phone is long gone from the bedroom, Ms djemba djembas not as much.

Thanks for all the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

kal7 wrote: »
    http:/www.facebook.com/KarlOsteopath/photos/a.655422941223134/655422957889799/?type=3&theater

a photo of me doing a stretch I use for shin splints, it is in photos of stretches on my facebook for my clinic.

basically sit on your heels, with toes pointed underneath you. This elongates tibialis anterior or shin muscle. I do it as part of a warm down after run.

Agree with TFBubendorfer about too much too soon, but this may help.

Will try this out for sure thanks

when in that position if you lift your knee off the ground you will feel a lovely stretch on the shin area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Looking for running shorts suggestions. The OH is looking for a pair for his birthday. He only took up running recently due to lack of GAA at the moment and carries his phone in his hand so he can have music on runs. I suggested an arm holder or running belt but he saw shorts online that he likes but the are on Amazon/ Ali Express. They are a 2-in-1 short with a phone pocket on the side of the under shorts. Hope you understand what I mean. Long story short is there any brands who make similar shorts (Nike, adidas, ronhill, underarmour, new balance, acics etc)? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭4Ad

Looking for running shorts suggestions. The OH is looking for a pair for his birthday. He only took up running recently due to lack of GAA at the moment and carries his phone in his hand so he can have music on runs. I suggested an arm holder or running belt but he saw shorts online that he likes but the are on Amazon/ Ali Express. They are a 2-in-1 short with a phone pocket on the side of the under shorts. Hope you understand what I mean. Long story short is there any brands who make similar shorts (Nike, adidas, ronhill, underarmour, new balance, acics etc)? Thanks

You can get a running belt..Nathan Hipsters are great..or cheaper buckle belts in Sportsdirect...
    I wear Speedo swiming shorts, the pockets will hold a phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I don't have a pair myself, but I've seen a few people here praise Decathlon for these type of shorts before. I think it's these that they refer to: https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/kiprun-men-s-marathon-running-shorts-with-carry-pockets-black-en-s301319.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I don't have a pair myself, but I've seen a few people here praise Decathlon for these type of shorts before. I think it's these that they refer to: https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/kiprun-men-s-marathon-running-shorts-with-carry-pockets-black-en-s301319.html

I have them. They are indeed very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Two unrelated random questions: :)

1) Do people ever feel very hungry the day AFTER their long run?
    I'm not sure if I've ever noticed myself feeling hungrier depending on how far I've run before. But lately, I seem to get very hungry on Mondays, after my long run on Sunday.

Yesterday I was roaming around looking for snacks all day!

(I'm probably running about 10% more miles per week since lockdown, and I'm doing 3 Pilates classes instead of 1, but I think I'm eating more as well, and I am doing less walking around commuting etc).

Why am I so starving??

2) Race shoes. Will running on grass prolong or shorten their life? I'm wearing my race shoes to do sessions, and while most of my sessions are on paths / asphalt, a lot of my warm up / cool down / run to session start is now on grass or trail as I try to give walkers the footpaths. Do you think this will make my race shoes last longer? (or just get them dirty :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Two unrelated random questions: :)

1) Do people ever feel very hungry the day AFTER their long run?
    I'm not sure if I've ever noticed myself feeling hungrier depending on how far I've run before. But lately, I seem to get very hungry on Mondays, after my long run on Sunday.

Yesterday I was roaming around looking for snacks all day!

(I'm probably running about 10% more miles per week since lockdown, and I'm doing 3 Pilates classes instead of 1, but I think I'm eating more as well, and I am doing less walking around commuting etc).

Why am I so starving??
    I've definitely heard of this as a thing - i.e. the hunger kicking in the day after the long run more so than on the day itself. I haven't noticed it myself lately (but my long runs aren't very long at the moment) but I definitely did during marathon training - I'd be ravenous the next day.

Also I'm sure it's been scientifically proven at this stage that lockdown makes you hungrier :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You can get Under Armour shorts with what the call a 'speed pocket' which is essentially a flap of material inside the waistband that houses your phone. I have one pair and really like them, but they are wild dear at the moment.

These are the ones I have, I think I got them for around €25 at the time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D1273PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of guidance as to the best way to safely increase weekly mileage. Have read that the best way is not to exceed 10% extra a week, so that's roughly what I've been doing. Ran a half marathon in 1:29.12 back in March and took 11 days off after that. So in the weeks after the half marathon my mileage went from: 0, 13, 16.6, 26.6, 29.2, 33.7, 37 and 35. Obviously a couple of weeks I exceeded the 10% but thought that would be ok given I wasn't starting from scratch and had a base built up from the half training.

All had been going well but the legs have been quite sore the last couple of weeks, hence why I took an extra day off last week and only ran 35 instead of the 40 I had been planning. I had been running four days a week but inclusive of the week that I ran 33.7 onwards I upped this to five to account for the extra mileage. Not all of the runs are the same, I do one long run, one hill run, a couple of faster runs plus one easy run. Is adding 10% extra a week too much, or should I maybe level off for a couple of weeks before upping the mileage again? Should also add that running beyond 38 miles a weeks is new territory for me.

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of guidance as to the best way to safely increase weekly mileage. Have read that the best way is not to exceed 10% extra a week, so that's roughly what I've been doing. Ran a half marathon in 1:29.12 back in March and took 11 days off after that. So in the weeks after the half marathon my mileage went from: 0, 13, 16.6, 26.6, 29.2, 33.7, 37 and 35. Obviously a couple of weeks I exceeded the 10% but thought that would be ok given I wasn't starting from scratch and had a base built up from the half training.

All had been going well but the legs have been quite sore the last couple of weeks, hence why I took an extra day off last week and only ran 35 instead of the 40 I had been planning. I had been running four days a week but inclusive of the week that I ran 33.7 onwards I upped this to five to account for the extra mileage. Not all of the runs are the same, I do one long run, one hill run, a couple of faster runs plus one easy run. Is adding 10% extra a week too much, or should I maybe level off for a couple of weeks before upping the mileage again? Should also add that running beyond 38 miles a weeks is new territory for me.

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

First off 1:29 is a cracking half marathon - you've obviously got plenty speed if you did that on relatively low mileage.... Well done!

A couple of things jump out regarding the running you describe there:
    1 - Not enough easy days. Between the hill run, the long run, and the couple of faster runs, there is possibly too much intensity in your week? Try and swap in a few more easy runs instead of the harder days... these will help you add mileage without destroying yourself, and leave you fresher for the tougher runs.
    2 - It's also good to have a step-back week every third or fourth week, where you reduce the mileage and intensity to give the body a chance to regroup and strengthen.

I'm not sure what level of mileage you were at when training for the half, but adding 10% per week is a good rule of thumb. Again, I'm not sure how much more mileage you intend adding to your weeks, but if regular 30-40 mile weeks is new territory for you, then it might be wise to stabilise and get your body used to that level before pushing on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

It was actually this model that a few people on here picked up last year following BeepBeep67's recommendation:
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-graph-en-s145971.html

I bought a pair and must say they are an excellent bit of gear.

Original thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058002035

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Thanks for all the shorts recommendations. I picked up a pair of the decathlon ones and am going to keep an eye out for underarmour speed pocket when they are on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

First off 1:29 is a cracking half marathon - you've obviously got plenty speed if you did that on relatively low mileage.... Well done!

A couple of things jump out regarding the running you describe there:
    1 - Not enough easy days. Between the hill run, the long run, and the couple of faster runs, there is possibly too much intensity in your week? Try and swap in a few more easy runs instead of the harder days... these will help you add mileage without destroying yourself, and leave you fresher for the tougher runs.
    2 - It's also good to have a step-back week every third or fourth week, where you reduce the mileage and intensity to give the body a chance to regroup and strengthen.

I'm not sure what level of mileage you were at when training for the half, but adding 10% per week is a good rule of thumb. Again, I'm not sure how much more mileage you intend adding to your weeks, but if regular 30-40 mile weeks is new territory for you, then it might be wise to stabilise and get your body used to that level before pushing on again?

Thank you! Had been due to do the Tralee half on March 14th but it got cancelled two days beforehand, so I just ran it myself back a country road. Now I dunno if that counts because it wasn't an official race... but I'm counting it :pac:

1 - Maybe you're right, I've only been doing one easy day the last few weeks. My 'easy' running pace would be about 8/8.20 minutes a mile, so on my 'faster' runs I'd usually do one at about 7.20 a mile, and another running 'fast' (sub 7 minutes) every second mile. Maybe I should stick to easy runs when upping my mileage then so?

2 - I've actually taken three days off from running now, so I guess this will be my step back week. Between now and Sunday I'll probably only run three of the four nights, so that would be between 21 and 24 miles. Because I took it so easy this week, is it advisable to take it easy again next week, or can I resume where I left off with the 35/37 mile weeks?

When I was training for the half I was actually only running four days a week, peaking with 38 miles a week, so beyond that is new territory for me. I'm hoping to get to a stage where I could run around 50/60 miles a week. Currently off work due to the Corona situation and won't be back for a minimum of two months so just trying to make use of the time I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks for all the shorts recommendations. I picked up a pair of the decathlon ones and am going to keep an eye out for underarmour speed pocket when they are on sale.

The Under Armour Speedpocket are available in red on sportsshoes.com for €17.39

Thank you! Had been due to do the Tralee half on March 14th but it got cancelled two days beforehand, so I just ran it myself back a country road. Now I dunno if that counts because it wasn't an official race... but I'm counting it :pac:

1 - Maybe you're right, I've only been doing one easy day the last few weeks. My 'easy' running pace would be about 8/8.20 minutes a mile, so on my 'faster' runs I'd usually do one at about 7.20 a mile, and another running 'fast' (sub 7 minutes) every second mile. Maybe I should stick to easy runs when upping my mileage then so?

2 - I've actually taken three days off from running now, so I guess this will be my step back week. Between now and Sunday I'll probably only run three of the four nights, so that would be between 21 and 24 miles. Because I took it so easy this week, is it advisable to take it easy again next week, or can I resume where I left off with the 35/37 mile weeks?

When I was training for the half I was actually only running four days a week, peaking with 38 miles a week, so beyond that is new territory for me. I'm hoping to get to a stage where I could run around 50/60 miles a week. Currently off work due to the Corona situation and won't be back for a minimum of two months so just trying to make use of the time I have.

It's probably a good idea to follow a plan of some sort - you could do a lot worse than follow the Boards grads plans here. Lots of runners here have had great results with those plans and many keep coming back to them. The Base plan followed by the 10k/HM plan would serve you well over the next 20 weeks.

The calculator used to, eh, calculate the various paces in those plans is this one. You'll probably be shocked by just how easy the easy paces prescribed are :). I'm not sure what the weekly mileage will come out like when you plug in your paces, but you can add some additional easy miles to boost the weekly mileage if you like.

There are plenty of other plans out there though if that one doesn't take your fancy. A popular book is Faster Road Racing by Pfitzinger and Latter, which has lots of different plans for race distances of 5k to Half marathon.

Does anyone bath their feet cause they're in bits from mileage. Dry, cracked, hard skin, blisters, the usual :) any suggestion as to what to add to the water

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Does anyone bath their feet cause they're in bits from mileage. Dry, cracked, hard skin, blisters, the usual :) any suggestion as to what to add to the water

what!, are feet are not supposed to be like that🙉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I usually use E45 cream when they are really bad or I want to wear sandals. Then I kick myself for doing so as I have to toughen them up againðŸ˜

jamule wrote: »
    what!, are feet are not supposed to be like that��

if you trained hard you'd understad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bathe them in the tears of your competitors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I don't know about the blisters but for dry, cracked, hard skin at night i lather on a good moisturizer (you can buy specific foot creams for this but i just use E45 cream) and put a pair of socks on and go to bed! You'll wake you with baby soft skin ;)

• Advertisement

ill give that a bash so, i really just ignored it until it cracked and left a stingy kinda slit on my heal, might as well stick something on it

Advertisement