Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

MY BAD wrote: »
    I normally do a run like that the day before a session. I finish with hills to put a pop in my legs for the next day.
    If I label a run 45 easy with hills it would mean a total of 45 minutes at the end I would finish with 6x10 seconds hill sprints walk recovery on the hills. If I label it 45 plus hills its 45 easy then finish with hill sprints

You're very good. Thanks MyBad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Ceepo wrote: »
    Recovery on the face of it is a good thing.
    Just be aware that our bodys adaptation to training stress is how we actually improve.
    Helping it to recover might inhibit our own adaptation process.

Whether these actually help to recover is another question. As far as I know there's no evidence to say they help with recovery outside of placebo .
    They may or may not it increase blood flow which can help with waste removal and bring nutrients to the muscle but theres no study to back this up.

If you're looking to get some device to aid your training then look into Red light therapy. Theres 1000"s of studys done on the benefits of RLT.
    In summary RLT works at a cellular level by increasing mychondria density and Atp production.

The fitness industry is a breathing ground for gimmicks and pseudoscience and general don't need much or anything to back up their claim. When you add that to the placebo effect and "sure it can't harm you anyway" then you have a winner.

Hi Ceepo

Quick question if you don’t mind my physio recommended I get a massage gun as my muscles are very tight - calves , glutes and traps. Would you recommend one for this ?

tks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anyone here use Decathlon runners, specifically the support ones?

400+ miles on my kayano 26 and thinking of giving a twirl. I know you get what you pay for etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

BKWDR wrote: »
    Anyone here use Decathlon runners, specifically the support ones?

400+ miles on my kayano 26 and thinking of giving a twirl. I know you get what you pay for etc

Yep, tried on a load of pairs in their shop. They had NB higher foam €140, which I loved, but I couldn't justify the price. Went with a pair of cushioned Kalenji for €29 and really like them. They feel like a pair of pegasus that have been worn for 2 weeks.
    I remember Enduro saying he buys out of lidl or aldi, that was the final push.

I tried on quite a few and went with what felt comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ceepo

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Hi Ceepo

Quick question if you don’t mind my physio recommended I get a massage gun as my muscles are very tight - calves , glutes and traps. Would you recommend one for this ?

tks

Don't mind at all.

Im no expert on massage guns tbh as I have not use one.
    And not wishing to go against advice that you have been give by someone that has seen you in person, however the questions I always ask are.

1, How would they help? by what mechanism would the release tight muscles?

I would have to think that a Percussive gun is more superficial and doesn’t apply enough pressure or for a long enough period to make any real change.

2, Why are your muscles getting tight in the 1st place,

3, If you exercise and your muscles are tight after, and you release them how long will that change last?

My opinion would be to save you money and instead get some a few cheaper items, such as a Thercane, hockey ball or similar, foam roller, you can get far better releases with these.

Part 2, would be to find out why the muscles are getting tight in the 1st place, are they over working or compensating for other muscles?.

Did your physio give to any indication as to why they are getting tight ?

• Advertisement

Don't mind at all.

Im no expert on massage guns tbh as I have not use one.
    And not wishing to go against advice that you have been give by someone that has seen you in person, however the questions I always ask are.

1, How would they help? by what mechanism would the release tight muscles?

I would have to think that a Percussive gun is more superficial and doesn’t apply enough pressure or for a long enough period to make any real change.

2, Why are your muscles getting tight in the 1st place,

3, If you exercise and your muscles are tight after, and you release them how long will that change last?

My opinion would be to save you money and instead get some a few cheaper items, such as a Thercane, hockey ball or similar, foam roller, you can get far better releases with these.

Part 2, would be to find out why the muscles are getting tight in the 1st place, are they over working or compensating for other muscles?.

Did your physio give to any indication as to why they are getting tight ?

Thanks for that Physio seems to think I have generally tight muscles coupled with posture and bending down a lot in work.
    I have a foam roller but find it awkward to use. I have recently bought trigger release balls and I find those easier.
    She thinks it will cut down on the need to go to her - I tend not to get injured - just get tight. I feel my traps and up into my neck after a couple of runs. I did have a bad whiplash injury but that was 20 odd years ago . I don’t tend to feel my calves but she always comments that they are like rocks 😠I thought the gun might help loosen me up a bit.

going to google a Thercane there now. Tks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Thanks for that Physio seems to think I have generally tight muscles coupled with posture and bending down a lot in work.
    I have a foam roller but find it awkward to use. I have recently bought trigger release balls and I find those easier.
    She thinks it will cut down on the need to go to her - I tend not to get injured - just get tight. I feel my traps and up into my neck after a couple of runs. I did have a bad whiplash injury but that was 20 odd years ago . I don’t tend to feel my calves but she always comments that they are like rocks 😠I thought the gun might help loosen me up a bit.

going to google a Thercane there now. Tks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

No problem at all.

Generally tight muscles are a result of bad movement patterns, bad posture which inhibit muscles moving properly, and possibly dehydrated muscle and facial tissue.
    Traps getting tight after a few runs is possible down to a lack of thoracic rotation.

What other step or advice has your physio asked you to take to rectify the issue.

All the above items with only give temporary relief. While I advise people to use them (and use them myself) it is usually to release tissue that are restricting movements before giving corrective exercises to actually rectify the problem.

No problem at all.

Generally tight muscles are a result of bad movement patterns, bad posture which inhibit muscles moving properly, and possibly dehydrated muscle and facial tissue.
    Traps getting tight after a few runs is possible down to a lack of thoracic rotation.

What other step or advice has your physio asked you to take to rectify the issue.

All the above items with only give temporary relief. While I advise people to use them (and use them myself) it is usually to release tissue that are restricting movements before giving corrective exercises to actually rectify the problem.

Hi Ceepo

For the glutes / calves physio recommends general running stretches. For the traps and neck - she has given me exercises that seem to focus on opening the shoulders up - I tend to also sleep on my side with my shoulder curled in. So I’d say there’s a lifetime of poor posture/ habits at play before you look at anything else.
    off to google thoracic rotation now :) Thanks again for your input. I appreciate you taking the time.

ETA Looks like the exercise is geared towards stretching the thoracic spine area.

Hi Ceepo

For the glutes / calves physio recommends general running stretches. For the traps and neck - she has given me exercises that seem to focus on opening the shoulders up - I tend to also sleep on my side with my shoulder curled in. So I’d say there’s a lifetime of poor posture/ habits at play before you look at anything else.
    off to google thoracic rotation now :) Thanks again for your input. I appreciate you taking the time.

ETA Looks like the exercise is geared towards stretching the thoracic spine area.

Re Traps.. Does it involve retracting and depressing the. scapula?
    Has the stretches worked for the calves and glutes.

Re Traps.. Does it involve retracting and depressing the. scapula?
    Has the stretches worked for the calves and glutes.

re the traps Had to google that but yes that is what it is.

Stretches for glutes etc not sure she always comments how tight they are ( I don't notice too much I generally go with my traps neck and get her to do an all over deep tissue massage with needling) but thats not too surprising as I’m a bitch for lack of consistency after each visit I go great guns for a couple of days then peter out till my next visit.

• Advertisement

Sorry for making you Google a lot :)

You or your physio has said that your posture is poor.

Retracting and depressing the scapula, will give relief but only temporarily, and won't fix anything in any sustainable way. Or won't help with thoracic rotation unfortunately and will only inhibit the Lat muscle from working properly.

You need to address the posture problems

Hi Ceepo

Tks for the input. It actually made me think about what I was doing and why rather than tks for the exercises. Appreciate you taking the time. Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread.

Hi Ceepo

Tks for the input. It actually made me think about what I was doing and why rather than tks for the exercises. Appreciate you taking the time. Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread.

No problem at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Not so much a question really but does anyone else think it doesn't feel like Summer around here without the DCM Novice thread going full tilt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ariana` wrote: »
    Not so much a question really but does anyone else think it doesn't feel like Summer around here without the DCM Novice thread going full tilt :(

I certainly do! It's my baby and I definitely miss it a lot! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FierceMild

Are there any pre-requisites that you would advise to have before attempting a 3:30 marathon? Like, JD's VDOT says that you should be in 1:40 HM time, 45 10K, 22 5K. Would you agree with those times or is there any predictor workout that you would recommend for someone trying to gauge a time? Or would just running a solo time trial 5k be sufficient?

I'm planning on running my first marathon in the next while and I'm trying to gauge a target pace/time.

FierceMild wrote: »
    Are there any pre-requisites that you would advise to have before attempting a 3:30 marathon? Like, JD's VDOT says that you should be in 1:40 HM time, 45 10K, 22 5K. Would you agree with those times or is there any predictor workout that you would recommend for someone trying to gauge a time? Or would just running a solo time trial 5k be sufficient?

I'm planning on running my first marathon in the next while and I'm trying to gauge a target pace/time.

I'd say those VDOT predictions are a bit optimistic. You'd want to be in at least 21:30 shape for the 5k, and even that is cutting it fine, and you'd want to be a bit under 45 and 1:40 for the 10k and half respectively.

Also, this only works if you have been training specifically for the marathon and are in good marathon shape. If you were doing 5k specific training and just ran a 21:30 there would still be no chance that you would be able to carry that over into that marathon, you'd drop off the pace after 20 miles at the very latest.

Have you got an actual marathon lined up or will this be a marathon-distance training run on your own?

I'd say those VDOT predictions are a bit optimistic. You'd want to be in at least 21:30 shape for the 5k, and even that is cutting it fine, and you'd want to be a bit under 45 and 1:40 for the 10k and half respectively.

Also, this only works if you have been training specifically for the marathon and are in good marathon shape. If you were doing 5k specific training and just ran a 21:30 there would still be no chance that you would be able to carry that over into that marathon, you'd drop off the pace after 20 miles at the very latest.

Have you got an actual marathon lined up or will this be a marathon-distance training run on your own?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Myself and a friend have agreed to do a marathon distance run planned with a mapped route and homemade aid stations etc in September.

I'd consider myself in "marathon shape" despite only adapting my training a month ago for a marathon. I was previously just working on base-building. Did a HM training run in 1:41 a month ago, doing marathon pace twice a week, have worked my long runs up to 22 miles, 55ish miles per week total volume at present.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When I was fit enough to run this time back in 2016 I ran a 10K in Dunshaughlin before starting my marathon plan in 46:26.
    went through my marathon training plan and ended up running a 10K in 43;07 which was 3 weeks out from the marathon.

I also ran a 5k parkrun 2 weeks before the race which I did in 20:46. I didn't taper for any of these races in the build up.

I ended up running 3:26 on the day but I'm not sure either of these was a great predictor as such. I ran a session of 14 miles @ MP 10 days out from the race @ 7:48 m/m (3:24 pace) which I think gave me a bit of confidence in my target pace for the race.

I didn't run any half marathon as part of my build up to the race so can't comment on that.

FierceMild wrote: »
    Myself and a friend have agreed to do a marathon distance run planned with a mapped route and homemade aid stations etc in September.

I'd consider myself in "marathon shape" despite only adapting my training a month ago for a marathon. I was previously just working on base-building. Did a HM training run in 1:41 a month ago, doing marathon pace twice a week, have worked my long runs up to 22 miles, 55ish miles per week total volume at present.

Sounds like you're doing alright, with a bit more training 3:30 should be a realistic target, but be prepared to have to dig deep.

Running with a friend is great as long as:

1) you agree to a certain pace and actually stick to it. Don't hesitate to call out if you're going too fast. 3:30 is 8-minute pace and you need to be disciplined and patient. If you start running at 7:30 pace you won't break 3:30.

2) make a mutual agreement that if one of you can't sustain the pace any more the other has permission to push ahead

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input Adrian, I appreciate it hugely. I think I'll run a 5k next weekend; Those times look like exactly what I should be looking for if I'm to run a 3:30.

TFBubendorfer: Good advice. We've already got an agreement that there should be no pace matching if someone can't keep up. I'm perfectly willing to sacrifice any fellow runner for a PR lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

adrian522 wrote: »
    When I was fit enough to run this time back in 2016 I ran a 10K in Dunshaughlin before starting my marathon plan in 46:26.
    went through my marathon training plan and ended up running a 10K in 43;07 which was 3 weeks out from the marathon.

I also ran a 5k parkrun 2 weeks before the race which I did in 20:46. I didn't taper for any of these races in the build up.

I ended up running 3:26 on the day but I'm not sure either of these was a great predictor as such. I ran a session of 14 miles @ MP 10 days out from the race @ 7:48 m/m (3:24 pace) which I think gave me a bit of confidence in my target pace for the race.

I didn't run any half marathon as part of my build up to the race so can't comment on that.

Just to give another perspective, I ran 3:39 in Dublin last year off 41:47 10k in Dunshaughlin & 1:34:02 in Rathoath HM. Ran a 19:37 5k in May as wll

It depends on the type of runner you are - endurance or speed. If you find your times drop off greatly as you up the distance then a faster 5k time will be a good indicator.

As I had issues with endurance I followed the Meno plan from these parts and it worked a treat.

Best of luck

The 10k TT came in at 1:10.

I'm doing a 10k plan and want to obviously do better than that (if I manage to get my ar$e in gear :rolleyes: )

Yesterday's work out said '7 mins threshold/tempo...3 mins 10k pace....'.

Is the 10k pace supposed to be the pace I want to run at, or the pace I ran the TT at? Because if its the former, I think I'm broken :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is the 10k pace supposed to be the pace I want to run at, or the pace I ran the TT at? Because if its the former, I think I'm broken

Train to current fitness not target fitness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

The 10k TT came in at 1:10.

I'm doing a 10k plan and want to obviously do better than that (if I manage to get my ar$e in gear :rolleyes: )

Yesterday's work out said '7 mins threshold/tempo...3 mins 10k pace....'.

Is the 10k pace supposed to be the pace I want to run at, or the pace I ran the TT at? Because if its the former, I think I'm broken :eek: :pac:

It will help if you tell us which plan :pac: but most would use current pace not planned pace.

Its also a bit strange because normally I'd expect threshold pace and 10k pace to be roughly the same thing.

deconduo wrote: »
    It will help if you tell us which plan :pac: but most would use current pace not planned pace.

Its also a bit strange because normally I'd expect threshold pace and 10k pace to be roughly the same thing.

Threshold pace is usually the pace you can hold for an hour, though the definition can change depending on who you ask.

For most runners that would be slower than 10k pace, and that's usually how a training plan intends it to be used.

For a runner whose 10k time is slower than 1 hour, all of a sudden threshold pace would be faster than 10k pace :confused: which makes me think this is might not be a suitable plan for Hannibal_Smith.

deconduo wrote: »

Well now, you've hit the nail on the head there because I assumed the same thing. That's what made me ask because it all felt very tough and the 10k bit felt really hard so I just wanted to make sure it's not supposed to be a training 10k pace, where I was supposed to add 30 secs on to the 10k race pace.

It's a Garmin Plan and in the interests of transparency hasn't got off to the best of starts so maybe that's why it felt so rough. That and the threshold/10k parts were uphill.

For a runner whose 10k time is slower than 1 hour, all of a sudden threshold pace would be faster than 10k pace :confused: which makes me think this is might not be a suitable plan for Hannibal_Smith.

Or, replace "threshold pace" with "a bit slower than 10k pace", otherwise this won't work.

this is might not be a suitable plan for Hannibal_Smith.

Ah don't tell me that, I'm trying to keep the mojo alive here :D

I was running the threshold bit at 11.30, and aimed for between 11.15/11.20 for the 10k, which was the avg 10k TT pace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you're really interested in knowing this stuff you could take a lactate threshold test that would show you exactly where this 'one hour' pace is, based on pinprick blood tests while running progressively faster laps of a track. Can be very interesting. It's possible (if maybe unlikely) that this pace is faster than your 10k, in which case it would be a poor metric to be using in a 10k plan, as TFB has suggested!

Advertisement