Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Very random, stupid question..

I've a few pairs of runners and have never cleaned them, bar obvious lumps of muck or banging the soles together to clear off dried in stuff....

Happy enough to continue, but recently while jogging I fully submerged an entire foot in a hidden puddle, while stepping off a path onto swampy grass to make room for old folk etc.... Anyway, result is a fairly horrendous muck coloured runner....

When I was a kid the trick was to put the runners inside a pillow case in a low spin /temp wash.... Is that still a thing?? Or do more harm than good?

I've got into the habit of giving mine a quick clean with a baby wipe after each run.

Sounds a bit obsessive maybe but only takes a few seconds and stops them looking like crap too quickly.

Inevitably they get to a point where wipes are futile though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thank you. I found a place to do them at the end of an easy run so I'll do that on Monday's going forwards :)

Deffo over cooked the pace a bit on Monday when trying them for the first time.

I've the perfect hill in mind for these.

Since they're alactic it feels like there shouldn't be too much of a recovery debt so I might look to add them in at the end of my short 4th easy run after a few weeks of regular strides on my first run :)

To me these are 2 complete type of strides.
    Type A, As i decribe can be done on a weekly basis year round and doesn't interfere or take from or with other harder sessions.
    Tyoe B, Hill strides, normally done a specific periods during a training cycle, usually as a precursor to interval work.
    Its important to point out that hill strides have a huge benefit as outlined by Wottle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I've got into the habit of giving mine a quick clean with a baby wipe after each run.

Sounds a bit obsessive maybe but only takes a few seconds and stops them looking like crap too quickly.

Inevitably they get to a point where wipes are futile though
    If you are in a Lidl pick up a pack of the large floor wipes they stock. Better than the baby wipes as they are more 'soapy' and are as big nearly as a A4 sheet when unfolded. Far easier clean the shoe with them than wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

What sorta nutrition and hydration strategies should one consider for longer runs?

My long runs are getting to the 80 minute range now and I'm wondering when it's time to start adding some water or gels.

It's cool enough that I feel like I'm not losing much water to sweat.

And I don't think the runs are long enough until they're in the 90-120 minute range to worry about gels.

...but figured I'd ask now so I know for a few weeks and months down the line.

Also - any recommend brands / ones to avoid at all costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What sorta nutrition and hydration strategies should one consider for longer runs?

My long runs are getting to the 80 minute range now and I'm wondering when it's time to start adding some water or gels.

And I don't think the runs are long enough until they're in the 90-120 minute range to worry about gels.

Personally, for anything under 3 hours I don't bother with water or gels. In fact, I gave up on gels a long time ago. If you're using them in training for anything other than testing out if you can stomach them, you're doing it wrong.

Obviously some of that is personal preference, and of course you'd need water in a hotter climate, but here in Ireland the best way to train is to just run without carrying anything around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Personally, for anything under 3 hours I don't bother with water or gels. In fact, I gave up on gels a long time ago. If you're using them in training for anything other than testing out if you can stomach them, you're doing it wrong.

Obviously some of that is personal preference, and of course you'd need water in a hotter climate, but here in Ireland the best way to train is to just run without carrying anything around.

So the simple solution is make sure I'm fed and hydrated before setting off.

The odds of me running 3 hours plus in the forseeable future aren't big.

Niceswan!

So the simple solution is make sure I'm fed and hydrated before setting off.

The odds of me running 3 hours plus in the forseeable future aren't big.

Niceswan!

That's pretty much it, though don't eat too close before your run or your stomach might feel uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to re-enforce what was already said. Never is perfectly viable answer. People managed training runs pretty well before gels were marketed.

I haven't eaten on a training run in probaly over a decade. I need water on only the hotest days, so probably about 3 or 4 times a year in Ireland. I regularly do 6 hour+ training runs at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Did two training long runs in October (both 3hrs- 37km each) and just made myself have 1 gel and some fluid at 18 km and off I went. It was more to shut up my trainer.

Marathon a few weeks ago I had 3 gels (10k; 30 & 35km) with just a swig of water to wash it down- no more than a mouthful. It was under sufferance I did it.

TBH you need to find out what works for you as it quite a personal decision. A lot of trial and error and part of your training.

As mentioned above, focus more on your nutrition and fluids in the 24 hour build up. Drinking water with an electrolyte tab the day before has worked wonders for my calf cramping issues at the 20 mile mark which have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Are there any good gaa/rugby/soccer pitch workouts?

Not for those sports, but using the pitches themselves for specifc workouts. Such as sprint longside, recover short side and repeat by X.

Have some near me and wondering is there anything I can do using their measurements.

• Advertisement

AhhHere wrote: »
    Are there any good gaa/rugby/soccer pitch workouts?

Not for those sports, but using the pitches themselves for specifc workouts. Such as sprint longside, recover short side and repeat by X.

Have some near me and wondering is there anything I can do using their measurements.

A friend of mine used to sprint the diagonals and jog the length for recovery. He loved that workout. Repeat until you can't sprint at the same pace any more.

Don't do that one if you're not supposed to enter the pitch, obviously.

A friend of mine used to sprint the diagonals and jog the length for recovery. He loved that workout. Repeat until you can't sprint at the same pace any more.

:D

TBH that sounds like a ham fisted GAA session. Running anaerobically is not generally seen as smart or beneficial these days. Was your buddy a serious runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Google kenyan diagonals - they're a staple of Kenyan running.

Often used as an alternative to tempos.

Run the diagonals of a pitch at 85-90% (or whatever's sustainable for the length of the workout) and then slow jog the straights.

I would do the diagonals at somewhere between 3k and mile pace. 20mins or so is a great workout for running economy and turnover and can be a good aerobic workout for FT runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Please check this first though. If it's a decent GAA club pitch they won't want runners on it this time of year, it will be so wet from rainfall that it will destroyed. Depending on the size of the club they might have other inferior training pitches that they would let you use.

ariana` wrote: »
    Please check this first though. If it's a decent GAA club pitch they won't want runners on it this time of year, it will be so wet from rainfall that it will destroyed. Depending on the size of the club they might have other inferior training pitches that they would let you use.

Good advice. Know the pitches well so would be aware of their mains ones and training ones. Thanks for the heads up

Sacksian wrote: »
    Google kenyan diagonals - they're a staple of Kenyan running.

Often used as an alternative to tempos.

Run the diagonals of a pitch at 85-90% (or whatever's sustainable for the length of the workout) and then slow jog the straights.

I would do the diagonals at somewhere between 3k and mile pace. 20mins or so is a great workout for running economy and turnover and can be a good aerobic workout for FT runners.

Pace is key for this type of session
    I often prescribe rolling 30 *100 on/off for athletes that I coach.
    Great session if done correctly.

I often say you will only get the session wrong once,, and learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Ceepo wrote: »

I love this type of session. They’re essentially Fartleks and they really suit some people (not everyone likes or is suited to long tempos, or needs them). I’ve done 3 x 10 x 100m @1500 pace and two of my go-to sessions would be 20 x 200m off 100m or 16 x 40/30s.

One *very* extreme example was when I couldn’t run bends or hills due to a sciatica problem leading up to a 5k + road relays. So, the obvious solution was 80 x 100m on the track!! Just a turn-around between hundreds and jog-back every 10. Loads of quality turnover without getting wrecked. As you say, good for pace judgement too!

TBH that sounds like a ham fisted GAA session. Running anaerobically is not generally seen as smart or beneficial these days. Was your buddy a serious runner?

2:32 marathon runner. Serious enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Hey,

Could you explain that? 100 metres, ran 30 times? What's the rolling part mean? Jog 100 sprint 100?

• Advertisement

Hey,

Could you explain that? 100 metres, ran 30 times? What's the rolling part mean? Jog 100 sprint 100?

Simply 30 *100m fast with 100m jog recovery.
    Continuous running.
    These would not be sprints,

Simply 30 *100m fast with 100m jog recovery.
    Continuous running.
    These would not be sprints,

Interesting, thanks.

Currently following a garmin programme on the watch, my third one (I just keep doing them so I have some variety and structure to my runs without having to think about things or what days to run). The garmin approach does include a lot of varied runs, but nothing like this.

Interesting, thanks.

Currently following a garmin programme on the watch, my third one (I just keep doing them so I have some variety and structure to my runs without having to think about things or what days to run). The garmin approach does include a lot of varied runs, but nothing like this.

I've no idea about the garmin training plan tbh.
    But any plan that has smoe structure to it is probably a good thing.

I've no idea about the garmin training plan tbh.
    But any plan that has smoe structure to it is probably a good thing.

Off topic, but I'd imagine the garmin thing is fairly rudimentary. I've no running experience or anything to compare it to, but suspect it's just a basic sort of formulaic thing. You plug in your goals and it sets a plan for you. Runs are mixed, so lots of tempo, easy runs, speed work, hills, and other named things. It's handy for me as the watch then sets your target time and beeps if you are out of range, which as a beginner is useful as I wouldn't be good at judging my pace. Its fairly limited and is designed for beginners as you can't set fast times or marathons, it's just 5k, 10k, and half.

I never ran in my life before March/April, did the couch to 5k over 7 weeks and was doing the 5k in around 30 mins. Then I got the garmin (didn't know it had this training plan option) and did a 5k training plan for maybe 12 weeks, then did a 10k plan for maybe 12 weeks. So now I'd be running 5k in 21 mins and 10k in 45. I know that's not great but I'm of a generation that watched world cup 90 and I'm 100kg and well over 6 foot, so I'm never going to be a runner.

Anyway, well off topic but just a quick outline of what the garmin thing is and I've certainly found it useful. I've no doubt some proper, tailored analysis and training would be better, but you literally just click a few buttons and say eg I want to run 10k, in 44 mins, in 15 weeks, running 4 days a week... And it spits out a generic sort of training programme and as you go along let's you know if you are broadly on track or over or under ambitious in your target

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I never ran in my life before March/April, did the couch to 5k over 7 weeks and was doing the 5k in around 30 mins. Then I got the garmin (didn't know it had this training plan option) and did a 5k training plan for maybe 12 weeks, then did a 10k plan for maybe 12 weeks. So now I'd be running 5k in 21 mins and 10k in 45. I know that's not great but I'm of a generation that watched world cup 90 and I'm 100kg and well over 6 foot, so I'm never going to be a runner.

I think that's a pretty impressive progression, you sound like a runner to me. Well done.

Off topic, but I'd imagine the garmin thing is fairly rudimentary. I've no running experience or anything to compare it to, but suspect it's just a basic sort of formulaic thing. You plug in your goals and it sets a plan for you. Runs are mixed, so lots of tempo, easy runs, speed work, hills, and other named things. It's handy for me as the watch then sets your target time and beeps if you are out of range, which as a beginner is useful as I wouldn't be good at judging my pace. Its fairly limited and is designed for beginners as you can't set fast times or marathons, it's just 5k, 10k, and half.

Anyway, well off topic but just a quick outline of what the garmin thing is and I've certainly found it useful. I've no doubt some proper, tailored analysis and training would be better, but you literally just click a few buttons and say eg I want to run 10k, in 44 mins, in 15 weeks, running 4 days a week... And it spits out a generic sort of training programme and as you go along let's you know if you are broadly on track or over or under ambitious in your target

Well done, thats good progression.
    While you dont class yourself as a runner, you put on your running gear and go out and running, by definition that makes you a runner. Give yourself some credit ;)
    Id say a lot of training plans are rudimentary and generic in there make up. By the sounds of the garnin plan, it is more individual as it is taking your current heart rates and fitness into the equation.
    There is no silver bullet work out, its consistent training week in week out, with some key workout covered (longer run, sub threshold tempo etc) these can be varied and progressive in nature.
    Imo far to many peoole go from one plan to another, be that 5k, half or full marathon, where it is stop start, and going back to the start each time, instead if having a longer term view.

Keep up the good work

2:32 marathon runner. Serious enough for you?

Cool. Just a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Enduro

Beg to differ... if you're doing those times whilst lugging about 100kg, you've got tons of natural talent and huge untapped potential. You've got a lot of relatively straighforward gains in front of you if you choose to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Anyone here heard of Kenyan Suicide run? A coach I had use to use it for a group smash, if done correctly you start to reel in the slower runners and those who cooked their goose early.

Basically, 20 mins out at easy (6/10) pace. Turn at the 20 min mark and try to get back to the start in 15 mins.

I’ve googled it since I left the group and not found any literature on it.

• Advertisement

Definitely not middle class when I started out. These €300 carbon plated runners may change that. Is still a very cheap sport to excel in with right support from a club etc.

Advertisement