Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Itziger wrote: »
    Unless you're fairly nerdy, you'll forget to this every now and again (most of the time) so your default will have 2,000 miles on 'em and Strava will tell you you need new runners.

I do it religiously. It’s automatic to me to edit my run every time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Slideways wrote: »
    I do it religiously. It’s automatic to me to edit my run every time

So do I, but I use strava as my main diary as I prefer the interface better than garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Itziger wrote: »
    Unless you're fairly nerdy, you'll forget to this every now and again (most of the time) so your default will have 2,000 miles on 'em and Strava will tell you you need new runners.

Despite various apps I still rely on Excel for my training log and just include a shoe column.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    2020 that's a wrap

134129904_10222358640549198_4844055019602722388_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=s1vc724DxFMAX9zFxuZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=b38b6192ffb5d0c179b2759e8b299433&oe=6012EAD4
    134317668_10222358640509197_3778180240620143832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=_XZvxZUN33YAX-oeCN5&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=d00700f05f1212095f0bd27007cd1344&oe=6013C5B1

34 pairs for me.
    11 introduced this year.
    Spent almost 50% of my mileage in 4 pairs (Razor 3 - 520 miles, Run Fast - 403 miles, Endorphin Speed - 315 miles, Next% - 306 miles).
    Shoe of the year for me - Endorphin Speed.
    2021 - need to retire about 25% of these in the first quarter and open a few more boxes (more Speeds, more Run Fast, more Razors)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

MY BAD wrote: »
    So do I, but I use strava as my main diary as I prefer the interface better than garmin

I'm the opposite then. I keep garmin up to date and have abandoned strava as nothing other than a social media platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Despite various apps I still rely on Excel for my training log and just include a shoe column.

Cant quote the bit I want...

Do you shop around when buying runners and, if so, can you suggest a good price to buy the endorphin speed? I really don't need runners but always happy to try new ones, but would need to justify it to myself on the basis I was getting good value....

Thanks

• Advertisement

I've had a few random questions here as a beginner and got a great steer. Wonder if I could ask again...

Anything I should know or read up on when it comes to breathing?

Obviously I'm in favour of it etc...

I do some indoor cycle training on a smart trainer, current programme is more structured than I'm used to and has info on breathing, regularly reminds me to breath deeply from diaphragm, through nose and mouth at same time, full deep breaths, then exhaling fully and squeezing stomach almost to expel every bit, before big full next breath etc....

I'd never paid attention to this before... But got me thinking re jogging...

I don't tend to think much about my breathing, but was wondering if there's any benefits to focusing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My personal experience is that when you concentrate on breathing it starts to get ragged. It works much better when you're not focusing on it at all and - just breathe!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Anyone recommend good podcasts for my long runs?
    I have most of the popular running podcasts. Interested in maybe mindfulness type or motivational type podcasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I've had a few random questions here as a beginner and got a great steer. Wonder if I could ask again...

Anything I should know or read up on when it comes to breathing?

Obviously I'm in favour of it etc...

I do some indoor cycle training on a smart trainer, current programme is more structured than I'm used to and has info on breathing, regularly reminds me to breath deeply from diaphragm, through nose and mouth at same time, full deep breaths, then exhaling fully and squeezing stomach almost to expel every bit, before big full next breath etc....

I'd never paid attention to this before... But got me thinking re jogging...

I don't tend to think much about my breathing, but was wondering if there's any benefits to focusing on it?

Have a look at Patrick McKeown "breathing techniques for running" on YouTube.
    Or get the book "Oxygen advantage"
    This will give you a better understanding of breathing mechanics and how they can play a role not just on sports but also everyday health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

FinnC wrote: »
    Anyone recommend good podcasts for my long runs?
    I have most of the popular running podcasts. Interested in maybe mindfulness type or motivational type podcasts?

Have you heard of Inside running? Good show and decent banter

• Advertisement

Cant quote the bit I want...

Do you shop around when buying runners and, if so, can you suggest a good price to buy the endorphin speed? I really don't need runners but always happy to try new ones, but would need to justify it to myself on the basis I was getting good value....

Thanks

Super shoe difficult to get hold of, so you won't find deep discounts.
    New colourways coming in Feb so just keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is that a general thing for shoes? Trying to buy new runners at the moment and can't find anything in my size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm the opposite then. I keep garmin up to date and have abandoned strava as nothing other than a social media platform.

I do both of those things, plus an excel spreadsheet, a la BeepBbeep. Mine is a bit clunkier though, a template I've been using for years created by a guy called David Hays. Excel 97! :eek: I've modified it a bit. One of the first things I had to do was expand the number of shoes allowable. Haven't gotten close to BeepBeep's total though. :)

Stark wrote: »
    Is that a general thing for shoes? Trying to buy new runners at the moment and can't find anything in my size.

Generally, a shoe gets launched either in Spring/Summer or Autumn/Winter.
    Depending on the brand it may get a couple of colour revisions before the next version is launched.
    Sometimes that's a soft update, like a revised upper or something more fundamental like midsole or outsole.

Different brands have different strategies, which can go out the window pretty quickly if they produce a lemon.

So no straightforward answer.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I do both of those things, plus an excel spreadsheet, a la BeepBbeep. Mine is a bit clunkier though, a template I've been using for years created by a guy called David Hays. Excel 97! :eek: I've modified it a bit. One of the first things I had to do was expand the number of shoes allowable. Haven't gotten close to BeepBeep's total though. :)

131 since 2008 :eek: and a few still in Anne Frank mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just a quick question...no Asics amongst that huge rotation. I know the range got very outdated but 2020 brought some nice shoes. Did the Metaracer not tempt you?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just a quick question...no Asics amongst that huge rotation. I know the range got very outdated but 2020 brought some nice shoes. Did the Metaracer not tempt you?

:cool: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116031353&postcount=2715 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah I see...was odd to see such a big brand not make your rotation. :pac:

Thanks, in the same camp as the new balance fuel cell tc I've been eyeing up so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Thanks, in the same camp as the new balance fuel cell tc I've been eyeing up so.

A really nice and comfortable shoe that. I'd advise going up a half size. Mine split on outside of both runners after about 160 miles(wide feet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Folks, the hands were absolutely frozen on a run this morning even wearing a pair of gloves, mostly due to the rain and wind chill I'd imagine. It has been colder (air temp wise) but this morning they were the coldest they've been. So, looking for a recommendation for some, waterproof, windproof gloves, not too worried about smartphone use, just something to keep the hands warm as I've got a mild form of raynaud's, I have normal gloves but too bulky to wear running. Too many to choose from on amazon etc so looking for a recommendation based on real world (wind and rain) experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What are people's thoughts on doing strength & conditioning sessions the same days you run, as opposed to doing them on alternate days?

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Folks, the hands were absolutely frozen on a run this morning even wearing a pair of gloves, mostly due to the rain and wind chill I'd imagine. It has been colder (air temp wise) but this morning they were the coldest they've been. So, looking for a recommendation for some, waterproof, windproof gloves, not too worried about smartphone use, just something to keep the hands warm as I've got a mild form of raynaud's, I have normal gloves but too bulky to wear running. Too many to choose from on amazon etc so looking for a recommendation based on real world (wind and rain) experience.

The fundamental flaw with *waterproof" gloves is if they dont let water in, they won't let water out. And water will travel down your arm and into the gloves.
    Something like "sealskins" or other neoprene are fairly good in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ceepo wrote: »
    The fundamental flaw with *waterproof" gloves is if they dont let water in, they won't let water out. And water will travel down your arm and into the gloves.
    Something like "sealskins" or other neoprene are fairly good in bad weather.

Won't the trapped water stay warm though? (Not that I've tried waterproofs for running). I think that's a general thing for wearing waterproofs when running. Expect to get wet regardless from sweat buildup and trapped water but stay warmer than you would if it was fresh cold rain coming through.

Won't the trapped water stay warm though? (Not that I've tried waterproofs for running). I think that's a general thing for wearing waterproofs when running. Expect to get wet regardless from sweat buildup and trapped water but stay warmer than you would if it was fresh cold rain coming through.

Neoprene ones might do that alright.
    I remember getting a "super duper" bells and whistle pair for cycling a few years ago. The smug head didn't last long when i couldn't change gears because of the cold and wet....

What are people's thoughts on doing strength & conditioning sessions the same days you run, as opposed to doing them on alternate days?

Usually I run 7 days per week and do some form of strength, stretching or mobility work 6 days per week, I avoid doing strength on a workout day.h

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Like I used to say you’re to runners what Imelda Marcos was to shoes...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Soft bastids :)

Occasionally stick your hands down your shorts, sorted :)

TbL

Soft bastids :)

Occasionally stick your hands down your shorts, sorted :)

TbL

Speaking of being soft.
    My mate was wondering to himself if the 4 layers he had on was enough for the sub zero conditions last Sunday morning while heading out for his run when someone passed his door wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
    Some people are made harder :)

• Advertisement

Like I used to say you’re to runners what Imelda Marcos was to shoes...:)

TbL

New babies

541556.jpeg

Advertisement