Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ceepo wrote: »
    Speaking of being soft.
    My mate was wondering to himself if the 4 layers he had on was enough for the sub zero conditions last Sunday morning while heading out for his run when someone passed his door wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
    Some people are made harder :)

Seems to be a thing with older runners that they could go out nude in Arctic conditions as long as they had a pair of gloves...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    New babies

541556.jpeg

French Blue!!!

Ffs, is it jiving or running you be doing :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Ceepo wrote: »
    Speaking of being soft.
    My mate was wondering to himself if the 4 layers he had on was enough for the sub zero conditions last Sunday morning while heading out for his run when someone passed his door wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
    Some people are made harder :)

Living in Aus for the last 9 years (jaysus, that long :eek: ) I’ve probably become accustomed to running in the heat and would be useless in the cold. However when I ran at home I always wore a singlet and shorts. My thinking was if you were cold you would run faster to stay warm.

The singlet used to come off too when it would rain to stop the dreaded nipple chafe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Folks, the hands were absolutely frozen on a run this morning even wearing a pair of gloves, mostly due to the rain and wind chill I'd imagine. It has been colder (air temp wise) but this morning they were the coldest they've been. So, looking for a recommendation for some, waterproof, windproof gloves, not too worried about smartphone use, just something to keep the hands warm as I've got a mild form of raynaud's, I have normal gloves but too bulky to wear running. Too many to choose from on amazon etc so looking for a recommendation based on real world (wind and rain) experience.

One thing is, gloves won't ever keep your hands fully warm when it's raining, water will always seep in and it will always feel clammy. But if you have real issues with this and don't care about the looks you're getting, try mittens. Mittens are warmer than finger gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    New babies

541556.jpeg
    Oh lá lá

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Folks, the hands were absolutely frozen on a run this morning even wearing a pair of gloves, mostly due to the rain and wind chill I'd imagine. It has been colder (air temp wise) but this morning they were the coldest they've been. So, looking for a recommendation for some, waterproof, windproof gloves, not too worried about smartphone use, just something to keep the hands warm as I've got a mild form of raynaud's, I have normal gloves but too bulky to wear running. Too many to choose from on amazon etc so looking for a recommendation based on real world (wind and rain) experience.

I suffer quite badly with Raynauds to the extent that I wear gloves for large parts of the year. I have tried many different types of gloves but the only way I have managed to keep the hands both warm and dry on the coldest and wettest days is to layer up. I wear 2 pairs, a tight fitting running glove covered by a cheap as chips Penneys fleece glove. Decathlon also sell a pair of running gloves which have a mitten type second layer which can be unfolded over the back of the hand and front and back of the fingers. These are excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

What are people's thoughts on doing strength & conditioning sessions the same days you run, as opposed to doing them on alternate days?
    I think it's often recommended from what I've heard. Even doing S&C on hard running (i.e. session) days, in the principle of hard days hard, easy days easy. But I think ideally they should be separated by a few hours (one in the morning, the other in the evening maybe), and you'd do whichever one is the priority first when you're less tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I suffer quite badly with Raynauds to the extent that I wear gloves for large parts of the year. I have tried many different types of gloves but the only way I have managed to keep the hands both warm and dry on the coldest and wettest days is to layer up. I wear 2 pairs, a tight fitting running glove covered by a cheap as chips Penneys fleece glove. Decathlon also sell a pair of running gloves which have a mitten type second layer which can be unfolded over the back of the hand and front and back of the fingers. These are excellent as well.

Don't have any ailments but I hate cold hands. I have a couple of cheap pairs (Karimor - €7) from Sports Direct that are thin enough to double up on on cold days. If it's wet, the inner pair usually stays dry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

eyrie wrote: »
    I think it's often recommended from what I've heard. Even doing S&C on hard running (i.e. session) days, in the principle of hard days hard, easy days easy. But I think ideally they should be separated by a few hours (one in the morning, the other in the evening maybe), and you'd do whichever one is the priority first when you're less tired.

This is what I do. I used to do them on easy days but realised I wasn't getting enough recovery on my easy days (enough for me at least) so I've been doing S&C on my session days. It took a few weeks to get used to but now it's fine. It's just how my weeks are. Of course, this week I did actually miss doing it on Friday due to sleeping in but typically it's my routine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

eyrie wrote: »
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    This is what I do. I used to do them on easy days but realised I wasn't getting enough recovery on my easy days (enough for me at least) so I've been doing S&C on my session days. It took a few weeks to get used to but now it's fine. It's just how my weeks are. Of course, this week I did actually miss doing it on Friday due to sleeping in but typically it's my routine :)

Thanks both, yeah I sort of had a lightbulb moment with energy levels being low I realised I had zero rest days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Enduro

skyblue46 wrote: »

A very very cheap windproof waterproof outer layer to use is marigold gloves. The obvious downside is that breathability is.... sub-optimal :). I have actually tested this theory to the point of "Trench-hand" after kayaking for 24 hours across Scotland (but my hands didn't freeze!). The RD on that race got a good laugh out of my bright pink high tech number. But for relatively short bursts of time this would actually work!

On a more practical level... here's another left-field option that I currently have a pair or two of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Hi

Any advice for entry level runners for a twelve year old ? He’s doing about 3*5k a week at the moment .
    I’m normal times would be with a local club doing more sessions .

He has been wearing whatever the cheapest nikes are when they have a sale ( that say suitable for running) but I have noticed he seems to keep going over on ankle . His running form is awful when running slow ( with his mammy ) but is much nicer when moving fast .

Thanks
    Regan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've finished reading the P&D book, Advanced Marathoning. Very enjoyable. It'll be a while before I can put this into practice. iirc, I've gone up to 55 miles ish via the meno plan. Anyway, posting because some of the terms in the P&D book.

What's meant by:

General aerboic
    Medium-long run

Distances are noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I've finished reading the P&D book, Advanced Marathoning. Very enjoyable. It'll be a while before I can put this into practice. iirc, I've gone up to 55 miles ish via the meno plan. Anyway, posting because some of the terms in the P&D book.

What's meant by:

General aerboic
    Medium-long run

Distances are noted.

For when I followed the P&D plan for DCM, GA was similar to easy pace.

MLR was a "shorter" longer run during the week. Similar to the long run at the weekend, it should be a progression type run. I split the distance in three parts, MP+20%, MP+15% and MP+10%. From memory, it went from 9.18min mile to 8.56 to 8.32. Goal MP for me was 7.45

Quite enjoyable doing the medium and long runs that way. It put strength into the legs for the latter part of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Cross post from my log, hoping someone could have a look and let me know if I'm along the right lines for a V02 max hill session? It's the first V02 max session RX'd in the Faster Road Racing Book on the shortest 5km plan

10.57km @ 5m 48s
    1hr 01min
    78% MHR
    inc 5x3min VO2 max hill repeats

That was miserable, joysus, ugly, beautiful, hard and easy all in one.

Ran straight into a 48km/h NE breeze for over 3km to get to my hill. Knew it was gonna be miserable weather wise so put on the winter leggings before I left. With an air temp of around 0 and a real feel of -4 I think it was justified.

This was my first time doing any VO2 max work so didn't really know how to pace it, but here's what happened. The hill's an avg 5% gradient for the record. Dunno if that's sufficient for the kind of hill repeats prescribed in FRR but it's the only one I had that's long enough.

AFAIK V02 max work for 5km distances should end up being around 90-95% MHR and around 3-5k race pace. I did a "finding my feet" 3km TT to start all this at around 4m 45s with blistering cross winds. I think with a gun to my head I'd have managed to get thru a full 5km at about that pace.

Today's reps were all 3 min up, and ended up being about a 4 min jog back. I know that's longer than standard VO2 recovery, but the book says jog back for the hills.

1: .61km @ 4m 54s / 86% MHR avg
    2: .61km @ 4m 57s / 85% MHR avg
    3: .62km @ 4m 51s / 86% MHR avg
    4: .60km @ 4m 46s / 86% MHR avg
    5: .72km @ 4m 13s / 85% MHR avg

...5 was done on the flat with a tailwind as I ran outta time for the run and needed to start moving back home. Also wanted to see time difference with similar relevant effort.

Screenshot-2021-02-12-at-12-18-36.png

I've no idea what I'd have needed to do to get those into the 90-95% range of max heart rate. Felt like I was running them real hard. Maybe not. Seems like my pace peaked and then slowed, which I assume is not ideal? Each rep did peak at 90-91% tbf. The longer recoveries probably impacted the averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Cross post from my log, hoping someone could have a look and let me know if I'm along the right lines for a V02 max hill session? It's the first V02 max session RX'd in the Faster Road Racing Book on the shortest 5km plan.

You’re overthinking it, would be my response. Times for hill repeats were consistent, you didn’t slow down. Chalk it down as a successful first VO2 session.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

zico10 wrote: »
    You’re overthinking it, would be my response. Times for hill repeats were consistent, you didn’t slow down. Chalk it down as a successful first VO2 session.

Happy to take that!! Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Reporting back on my search for running gloves for colder temperatures.

So I took onboard the advice and went along with breathable ones, so I got a pair of hiking gloves from decathalon and I use a pair of karrimor thin running glove (got yonks ago) as a base layer. Tried them yesterday for the first time and my fingers were nice and warm, I will say that wearing both pairs feels like a thick pair gloves and slightly constrictive but I reckon that would be the same with heavier gloves. I choose not to go fully waterproof, also by not wearing the base layer on cooler days and the base layer only on warmer days, I in essence got three gloves for the price of one.

543251.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

On the gloves, decathlon do a cheap glove which has an additional mit style piece that extends out and over the fingers for breeze / rain, can be rolled away easily into the cuff. I've found them good but gloves a bit too warm for me even without the extra bit of fabric (don't have cold hands so not sure how others would rate them)

Edit :

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/evolutiv-running-gloves-grey-en-s172603.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm looking for some advice.

Where's the best place to buy good value running clothes/trainers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Random question...

I've been running on and off now with no real consistency, however I've never really been able to get under 29 mins for a 5km.

Any advice on breaking plateaus and getting quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Omega28 wrote: »
    Random question...

I've been running on and off now with no real consistency, however I've never really been able to get under 29 mins for a 5km.

Run more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Random question...

You have said it yourself, no real consistency. Improving times comes with consistent training/mileage.

More running slow and a little more running fast.

Basically increase mileage each week so overall you are running more distance (and a lot of this can be slower than "normally" do) and then do some interval/speed work to help improve speed. Combination of these will help. lots of plans online to improve 5k time for begineers/intermediates so good place to start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

FinnC wrote: »
    Run more.

... And in the vast majority of cases beginner runners also need to run slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Random question...

My first piece of advice would be, to make sure you are enjoying your runs, getting tunnel vision on beating a time won't make you quicker and will only lead to frustration, where you may run too hard and injure yourself. So enjoy the views, enjoy the music/podcast you are listening to, and just drift away with the fairies as one friend calls it.

Secondly listen to the folks here, they won't put you wrong. Don't fixate on a time for the moment and do as the advice above says and run slow. I will admit that I initially found this hard to do (and still do) you seem to doing a hard 5-50ish per K pace, so why not drop that to around 7ish (someone much more qualified than me should hopefully tell you the correct pace) and build up to running say 7K or 50mins easily. On shorter runs, go back to your hard 5-50ish pace for a short distance, say between two lamp post a couple of times during your run. In a couple of weeks during your longer 7k runs try throwing in a k or two at your hard pace and judge for yourself how easier or not it feels.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how easier the faster pace will get and one day soon you'll get that feeling all runners experience, where the planets move into alignment and you seem to have an extra bounce and feel like you could go all day and boom PB.

Hopefully at some stage we will be looking in our rear view mirrors at the C word and parkruns will be back and if you haven't already signed up, sign up. Here's what I say to people starting out at parkruns, there will always be people running faster than you, but no matter how slow you think you are (you aren't, 29mins is good) do know that you are quicker than those sitting at home on the couches wishing they had had the strength of will to fight that nagging voice that tells them they're not runners and how slow they are. I now realise why I miss parkruns so much, it's the cheering on of others once you've finished and seeing all of those personal victories etched on peoples faces as the cross over the line and remember a PB of 28mins is no less a PB than one of 18mins the time is subjective hence 'personal best'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

robinph wrote: »
    ... And in the vast majority of cases beginner runners also need to run slower.

More and slower. With a little bit of faster every now and again (as a test to see if the first two bits are reaping rewards).

Thing is, a lot of runners either don't want to hear the 'more and slower' or just don't practice it. I suppose it is counter-intuitive if you think about it.

But as almost everyone on here knows, it works!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Random question...

Focus on time not distance. It seems that you are fixating on distance and speed. This creates a psychological barrier and puts pressure on you.

Start enjoying 30-45 minute runs....slowly and at talking pace. Going out and trying to smash a PB every time will not work. The more you do this you will find you will get quicker with the same effort.

I guarantee if you allow yourself to focus on say, 45min runs x3 times a week at conversational pace for the next few months you will bring down your 5km time. Trust it.

When you get more confident you can start introducing strides such as 400m reps.

ps-

Oh and consistancy is vital I'm afraid. Aim for 3 x 45 mins runs a week. It is a lot easier to think about it that way than say, "I gotta do a 8 mile run"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm looking for some advice.

Where's the best place to buy good value running clothes/trainers?

Clothes - I've found Aldi and Pennys to be a good bet. Trainers are a hot source of debate on here. My main piece of advice would be to make sure that they fit correctly and are comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Has anyone here ever worked with Karl Henry from OT?

I'd be interested in their opinion of his methods as he seems to be still stealing a living on the panel on the OT program on RTE.

Does he actually seek client's for personal training or live off the rte handouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Has anyone here ever worked with Karl Henry from OT?

I'd be interested in their opinion of his methods as he seems to be still stealing a living on the panel on the OT program on RTE.

Does he actually seek client's for personal training or live off the rte handouts?

did you post that on the wrong forum? is there no entertainment or celeb bum siffing thread for that?

Advertisement