Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what runners do you all wear? I wear ASICS gel kayanos for stability but for example i found the saucony speed endorphins helped me run a lot faster. Curious to hear people’s experiences.

here

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

What do you do when you miss a session during a training phase?

I missed last week's tempo session (week 3 of 12) on my first 5km plan. I have this rule from lifting that if I feel like sh*t before a training session and want to skip it, I always train anyway. But if I STILL feel like sh*t coming into the next one, I skip it and rest. It's never steered me TOO far wrong.

The week the weather was brutal, every session was a struggle, I was utterly exhausted and felt like my body just wanted to fall apart so I was prudent and didn't attempt it. Also knocked 4k off a planned 16k long run.

Logically I figure I should write it off and just get back on plan this week because if I'm already fatigued and try to swap an easy run for a tempo run it'll just make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Few questions here from a relatively new runner.

1. Increasing mileage - what sort of mileage should I be running on a weekly basis and how regularly do you increase?

2. Is it okay to run when you're muscles are sore but you don't feel like you're in any pain. Just mild discomfort?

3. Did you notice any changes to your physique as you progressed with your running?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭token56

I missed last week's tempo session (week 3 of 12) on my first 5km plan. I have this rule from lifting that if I feel like sh*t before a training session and want to skip it, I always train anyway. But if I STILL feel like sh*t coming into the next one, I skip it and rest. It's never steered me TOO far wrong.

The week the weather was brutal, every session was a struggle, I was utterly exhausted and felt like my body just wanted to fall apart so I was prudent and didn't attempt it. Also knocked 4k off a planned 16k long run.

Logically I figure I should write it off and just get back on plan this week because if I'm already fatigued and try to swap an easy run for a tempo run it'll just make things worse.

First thing is don't beat yourself up over it. If your body is feeling that fatigued just give it the rest it needs. Taking a couple of days off or just doing a few recovery pace runs for a week is not going to set you back. Maybe your 12 week plan gets pushed out a week or two if needs be but it's better than draining your legs even more or worse still getting injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Omega28 wrote: »

1. Increasing mileage - what sort of mileage should I be running on a weekly basis and how regularly do you increase?

2. Is it okay to run when you're muscles are sore but you don't feel like you're in any pain. Just mild discomfort?

3. Did you notice any changes to your physique as you progressed with your running?

Two fundamental questions:

1. What are you running atm?
    2. What are your goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Listen to your body. Your plan is just a bit of paper and should be as flexible as your bodys response to it.
    The main thing is to get back running after you drop a session and if thats an easy run, just do an easy run. Fatigue can lead to stress and if you put your body under stress , thats when injuries happen and sure then your plan is up in smoke anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

token56 wrote: »
    First thing is don't beat yourself up over it. If your body is feeling that fatigued just give it the rest it needs. Taking a couple of days off or just doing a few recovery pace runs for a week is not going to set you back. Maybe your 12 week plan gets pushed out a week or two if needs be but it's better than draining your legs even more or worse still getting injured.

This week on the plan is actually listed as a recovery week. Presumably because when putting it together they knew the first 3 weeks would be rough AF.

I feel pretty good today and am eager to get some training done so I'll get stuck into this week and revaluate how I'm feeling at the end of the week I guess.

This week on the plan is actually listed as a recovery week. Presumably because when putting it together they knew the first 3 weeks would be rough AF.

I feel pretty good today and am eager to get some training done so I'll get stuck into this week and revaluate how I'm feeling at the end of the week I guess.

A very very gentle 30 min run may be the way to go just to ease yourself back in. Forget about pace and distance...just 30 mins out and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Two fundamental questions:

1. What are you running atm?
    2. What are your goals?

1. I run around 40km per week
    2. Get faster. Improve my general fitness.

Currently running a 5km in 29-32 mins. Not great I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

1. I run around 40km per week
    2. Get faster. Improve my general fitness.

Currently running a 5km in 29-32 mins. Not great I know

General rule of thumb is not to increase weekly distance or run durations by more than 10%

If it’s just general fitness I would look at getting some long slow runs going. Build up some endurance. After that you can start looking at getting the speed work sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Omega 28, on point 2, can I run if sore

Injury and training both cause damage.

Injury an amount the body can't cope and deteriorates ( painful, not just sore and lasts more than three days)

Training stress, sore but ok as you described and settles over few days.

I generally say run three times per week.

As partyguiness says, where are you now and where do you what to go, is starting point of any plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Running up hill. Any idea on what pace to go at?

Myself and a friend are planning an uphill run later in the summer, the thing is I have very little experience of doing up hill runs.

The distance is 5k and the elevation gain is 410m, so I guess you can call it a proper hill, 8% i think?.
    I can run a 5k easily under 23mins, occasionally under 22. Can hold 5:10 min/km for 10 miles, so while not elite by any stretch I'm in reasonable shape. But I really have no idea on what pace I should try tackle this monster at.

Anyone got any ideas or seen a grade adjustment calculator? My instinct is telling me this is going to be a 35 minute slog, then I think I could walk in that surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

whatnext wrote: »

Myself and a friend are planning an uphill run later in the summer, the thing is I have very little experience of doing up hill runs.

The distance is 5k and the elevation gain is 410m, so I guess you can call it a proper hill, 8% i think?.
    I can run a 5k easily under 23mins, occasionally under 22. Can hold 5:10 min/km for 10 miles, so while not elite by any stretch I'm in reasonable shape. But I really have no idea on what pace I should try tackle this monster at.

Anyone got any ideas or seen a grade adjustment calculator? My instinct is telling me this is going to be a 35 minute slog, then I think I could walk in that surely.

not sure if this helps..

In shotgun's february challenge, I climbed a similar distance over a little over 5km. Took me 32 mins, and my 5km on the flat is approx 18:30. so basically 50% slower. The reality is you won't be running all of it, particularly if surface isn't paved.

crisco10 wrote: »
    not sure if this helps..

In shotgun's february challenge, I climbed a similar distance over a little over 5km. Took me 32 mins, and my 5km on the flat is approx 18:30. so basically 50% slower. The reality is you won't be running all of it, particularly if surface isn't paved.

Thank you

Informative and frightening in equal measure.

The track is fully paved, part tarmac part concrete road.
    So my instinct wasn't so far out. My fear was going off too hard and being in heap after 1 or 2kms. 7 + minute pace seems to be the goal. The worst of the climb is in the middle so the fear would be ruining the attempt at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thank you

Informative and frightening in equal measure.

The track is fully paved, part tarmac part concrete road.
    So my instinct wasn't so far out. My fear was going off too hard and being in heap after 1 or 2kms. 7 + minute pace seems to be the goal. The worst of the climb is in the middle so the fear would be ruining the attempt at the start.

Similar to every other forms of running. You have to include some hill work into yiur training.
    There isn't really any way that people can tell you how long it will take, there is to many variables to take into account. Grade of the climb being one.
    If you're doing it with your mate, just go out and enjoy it.

Funnily enough I have a hill session tonight. Basically 12 reps of 30 secs hard up and walk down with a 5 minute walk after 6 reps. I aim for 6-7% on a few local short hills.

The trick from fell runners over here is actually to take very handy going up. I mean even a brisk walk but smash it down the other side. I find downhill running harder than uphill.

Pace wise it is best to forget about pace completely. The trick is to sustain a steady pace (whatever that may be) and get up in one piece. That will mean swallowing your pride and slowing down- you won't lose as much time as you think.

Let me get this right....a 5k continuous hill at 8%? Is it a 5km run or just 5k in the middle of a longer run?

Ceepo wrote: »
    Similar to every other forms of running. You have to include some hill work into yiur training.
    There isn't really any way that people can tell you how long it will take, there is to many variables to take into account. Grade of the climb being one.
    If you're doing it with your mate, just go out and enjoy it.

To be honest I was looking for a little reassurance that this is a test and a half. The lad I'm doing it with is under the impression that he'll be up in 26 or 27 minutes, that's a 10minute difference in expectations and I'm the stronger runner, older, but still a little ahead. I'll be prepared, have a hill in mind to do once a week for now and see where I go from there, its a little over 1km long. They are hard found where I live!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

I reckon you have a better chance than your mate as you seem a bit more realistic.

The trick with uphill I find is to decrease your stride length and up the cadence. Small efficient steps.
    Ignore the pace altogether.

I did a 16k race last year. 8k of continuous climbing and then U turn and back down. It wasn’t 8%, more like 5% I would say and at the time I was prob in 4:10 pace for a flat 16k. Ended going up in 5:30 and down in about 4:00s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I haven't used the strava app for a while but used it this week and its not tracking my runs correctly, keeps losing GPS signal, according to the app I ran 8k in 27 mins, when it should have been an hour. I've used map my run for comparison and it's working fine. Reason I'm using strava is their doing this challenge in work and strava is been used.

Has anyone had issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

jamesbere wrote: »
    I haven't used the strava app for a while but used it this week and its not tracking my runs correctly, keeps losing GPS signal, according to the app I ran 8k in 27 mins, when it should have been an hour. I've used map my run for comparison and it's working fine. Reason I'm using strava is their doing this challenge in work and strava is been used.

Has anyone had issue with this.

Are you using android?
    Double check battery settings and enable high accuracy GPS location for Strava
    (The device thinks it's being clever by only checking your location in the background to try save battery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Are you using android?
    Double check battery settings and enable high accuracy GPS location for Strava
    (The device thinks it's being clever by only checking your location in the background to try save battery)

Thanks for that. Phone was in a battery saving mode which I didn't realise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm browsing Strava segments around Roundwood, co. Wicklow. Is there a limit to how long the segments can be? or I just can't see one going around the whole Vartry reservoir?

U8kHNLK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

1. No more often than once a month and not even that often.

Beware the 10% rule that is sometimes passed on. If someone started running one mile a day and the following ran 1.1 miles a day and on the 3rd week 1.21 miles per day they would by the end of the year be running 129.1299 miles per day despite never having increased their load by more than 10%!

Be cautious, take regular down weeks - 3up/1down or for many older athletes 2up/1 down are common routines. Keep doing some form of S&C, get to know your body, be kind to it and it'll adapt to your increased training load.

2. If you're injured then no. If it's from training then a recovery run can be a good idea - short and easy though, the aim is to feel better after the run and be in a better place for your next hard run than if you hadn't run at all.

3. Yes, my face got thinner. I wouldn't say that running won't help you lose weight but the fact is your appetite increases in response to running and I don't know of anyone who has lost significant weight and kept it off using exercise alone. If you need to lose weight then you'll have to adjust your eating habits.

Good luck and make sure that you enjoy running - it's about the joy and the pleasure of being active and (hopefully) outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

So, would anyone here run a 1/2 marathon a day, every day for the month of March. I ask because one of Garmin's challenges this month is to complete 80hrs of running activities during the month of March and earn the Enduro badge.

I personally opt in for the running badges every month and opted in for the enduro badge but then copped the 80hrs of running. So I did a bit of maths, keeping my two rest days a week (mon and fri's) leaves me 22 days in the month so roughly 3hr30 odd mins a day of running, I'd obviously have to slow down (others mightn't) and I worked out that even at over 7mins per K pace, I'd still be doing 30K a day and if I was to ignore rest days I'd be doing a 1/2 every day of the month.

Thing is you only get 4 points for the badge and I get that it celebrates the new enduro watch and it's amazing battery life but come on 80hrs of running in a month. Now one friend tries to get every Garmin badge going, walking, running, yoga etc but I can't imagine too many people earning the enduro badge this month, so anyone here going for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    So, would anyone here run a 1/2 marathon a day, every day for the month of March. I ask because one of Garmin's challenges this month is to complete 80hrs of running activities during the month of March and earn the Enduro badge.

I personally opt in for the running badges every month and opted in for the enduro badge but then copped the 80hrs of running. So I did a bit of maths, keeping my two rest days a week (mon and fri's) leaves me 22 days in the month so roughly 3hr30 odd mins a day of running, I'd obviously have to slow down (others mightn't) and I worked out that even at over 7mins per K pace, I'd still be doing 30K a day and if I was to ignore rest days I'd be doing a 1/2 every day of the month.

Thing is you only get 4 points for the badge and I get that it celebrates the new enduro watch and it's amazing battery life but come on 80hrs of running in a month. Now one friend tries to get every Garmin badge going, walking, running, yoga etc but I can't imagine too many people earning the enduro badge this month, so anyone here going for it?

seems like a great way to get the 'injured and can't run for 3 months' badge on the reality aop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Reg'stoy wrote: »

Why would you do that to yourself ? Unless you are currently running at that vol surely you would be drawing a world of trouble on yourself .

ETA it appears going for an easy 5 miler can also cause a world of pain - Just took an awful hopper - fat lip , broke tooth , swollen face and fecked up knee - the joys 🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Why would you do that to yourself ? Unless you are currently running at that vol surely you would be drawing a world of trouble on yourself .

ETA it appears going for an easy 5 miler can also cause a world of pain - Just took an awful hopper - fat lip , broke tooth , swollen face and fecked up knee - the joys 🀪

Jeez, sorry to hear that. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Can happen in the blink of an eye, thankfully over the years I've only had one spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Jeez, sorry to hear that. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Can happen in the blink of an eye, thankfully over the years I've only had one spill.

Thanks - Feeling sore and sorry for myself - hopefully first and last spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I'm 5 weeks into a couch to 5k, all going good so far, but I think the couple of seconds of stretching I do beforehand is not enough. I looked on YouTube but is 10 minutes of stretching beforehand really necessary? Or could some recommend a good video for sufficient stretching, and last question, could I do the stretching at home 10 minutes before where I drive to start my walk/jog? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Snotty wrote: »
    I'm 5 weeks into a couch to 5k, all going good so far, but I think the couple of seconds of stretching I do beforehand is not enough. I looked on YouTube but is 10 minutes of stretching beforehand really necessary? Or could some recommend a good video for sufficient stretching, and last question, could I do the stretching at home 10 minutes before where I drive to start my walk/jog? Thanks in advance

As someone who was running for over 20 years I could probably count on one had the amount of times I stretched before going for a run.
    Despite what a lot of people say, you don't need to stretch before you run. Just start of easy and gradually build into your run.
    There is no evidence to say that stretching before running prevents injury.

Advertisement