Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Omega28 wrote: »
    How many kms a week would you guys be putting in? I'm relatively new to running and just trying to gauge where I should be at.

Depends on what I’m training for but I generally like to hit 40km every week and wouldn’t usually go above 60km. That’s usually over 3 runs a week and 4 if I’m getting nearer the 60km.
    I cycle a lot(200km+/week) so I feel that transfers well to aerobic running fitness,so I can cut out slow recovery runs for example and concentrate on more quality runs so my mileage wouldn’t be as high as others.
    If I’m training for a Marathon I’d probably maybe add one extra run a week just to have more time running in my legs for the longer distance.
    Works very well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm doing around 45km a week but not seeing any progress. It's hard not to get impatient when some days you feel like you're getting slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm doing around 45km a week but not seeing any progress. It's hard not to get impatient when some days you feel like you're getting slower.

Are you following a structured plan? This could really help if you're not already.

Have you thought about how you are measuring progress - you've obviously gone for 0km to 45km per week so I'd call this progress.

Speed will come with strength and strength will come with consistency over time. Boring I know but it's true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

How long have you been doing 45km/week? And is it every week or are some weeks 30km, some 48km and some 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Good questions by above posters.
    How are you gauging your progress at the minute? Are you doing regular-ish time trials or looking at interval speeds from week to week?
    Without races, I've certainly found it harder to gauge if I'm progressing or not.
    It may be you've plateaued with doing similar mileage every week with little variance in workouts? I've fallen into this trap before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

When you say 45km, is it pure footpaths, trails, hills?

It's like the old adage if you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same results. You need mix it up- speedwork (long & short intervals), hill sessions, hilly trails, footpaths etc.

I you are stuggling for guidance then you might look to find a coach or follow a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm looking at some runners I like which have a 6mm drop, currently running on shoes with a 10mm drop. I have torn my achilles in the past (about 10 years ago now, badly) so am very wary about changing it. Is 10mm -> 6mm too much of a drop ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Random tempo run pace Q here...

I'm on week 5 of 12 on the Faster Road Racing 5km plan (shortest distance one).

Have never done a full TT. Only running regularly since November.

I did a semi test (3km TT) to establish paces at the start and averaged 4m 45s over 3km topping out at about 92% MHR. It was a good honest effort and quite tough. So I took that as a rough 5k TT pace.

...then estimated a 5m 10s tempo pace off that and got to work.

Today on the 20 minute tempo run I ran kms in 5:09/4:48/4:43/4:43 averaging 85% MHR, and woulda stuck on a 5th at 4m 43s too. It felt challenging but nowhere near "holy **** how is this so hard it's only 1km in" effort.

I was extremely surprised at how well it went.

Should I revise the tempo pace to something like 4:45-4:50 now and recalculate V02 max paces off that?

I don't want to bury myself, but I also want to drag as much as possible out of the next 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I did a semi test (3km TT) to establish paces at the start and averaged 4m 45s over 3km topping out at about 92% MHR. It was a good honest effort and quite tough. So I took that as a rough 5k TT pace.

Today on the 20 minute tempo run I ran kms in 5:09/4:48/4:43/4:43 averaging 85% MHR, and woulda stuck on a 5th at 4m 43s too. It felt challenging but nowhere near "holy **** how is this so hard it's only 1km in" effort.

Should I revise the tempo pace to something like 4:45-4:50 now and recalculate V02 max paces off that?

I don't want to bury myself, but I also want to drag as much as possible out of the next 7 weeks.

To runs should really be done by feel or perceived effort rather than actual pace - this is where HR comes in handy. Your body was probably more tired when you did the TT than when you did the tempo. Chances are you could do that same session next week and be in an absolute jock after it!

It's a good idea to work out the pace based of a TT but I'd only use it as a guide, stary off at that pace and then go by feel after the 1st rep.

You'll also see that as your fitness increases the pace will increase for the same effort. If a run doesn't go well chalk it down to an off day and move on, if a lot of days are a struggle you need to revise your pace. Same goes for if you feel every run is too slow then up the pace to the required effort.

Hope thatmakes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I agree with Slow Runner, and to be more specific about your question about tempo pace, if you're confident your HR and perceived effort were reliable, I'd say yes, no harm taking today's numbers as your new tempo pace and working out your other goal paces, and race pace, off that. From what I recall you were rested today after avoiding the weather yesterday, which may have contributed to that fresh feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm looking at some runners I like which have a 6mm drop, currently running on shoes with a 10mm drop. I have torn my achilles in the past (about 10 years ago now, badly) so am very wary about changing it. Is 10mm -> 6mm too much of a drop ?

Going from 10mm to 6mm droo shouldn't be to much of an issue as long as you give yourself a period of time to adjust.
    The best way to strengthen your achillies is to actually use it through its full range of motion. Wearing a low drop shoe will help that, as will doing some barefoot running. The key is as always, gradual adaptation .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I’ve a nasty split in my heel that’s affecting my running anyone got any rapid fire cures/remedies?

Thanks

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I’ve a nasty split in my heel that’s affecting my running anyone got any rapid fire cures/remedies?

Thanks

TbL

Stop wearing the wife’s high heels!!

Thanks

TbL

Try something like Vaseline, it should keep it supple and will help with further cracking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Ceepo wrote: »
    Try something like Vaseline, it should keep it supple and will help with further cracking

I was going to suggest oil, almond if you have it, rub in a small bit a few times a day. Vaseline will work too but creams probably won't, you need something oil based if the skin has cracked.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Stop wearing the wife’s high heels!!

But the tights are so smooth and comfortable :)

TbL

Thanks Ceepo & AGYR

TbL

But the tights are so smooth and comfortable :)

TbL

Well you don't have to stop wearing the tights 😂😂

ariana` wrote: »
    Are you following a structured plan? This could really help if you're not already.

Have you thought about how you are measuring progress - you've obviously gone for 0km to 45km per week so I'd call this progress.

Speed will come with strength and strength will come with consistency over time. Boring I know but it's true :)

Hi

No, I'm not following any particular plan. I just go out to my local park and run until my body tells me to stop.

Regarding strength and building it, is it just about putting the miles in the legs or do I need to do some form of strenght/resistance training as well?

Hi

No, I'm not following any particular plan. I just go out to my local park and run until my body tells me to stop.

Regarding strength and building it, is it just about putting the miles in the legs or do I need to do some form of strenght/resistance training as well?

No you dont need to do strength/resistance training
    Im not saying that theres not a place for it, but the vast majority of runners rely on s&c to much instead of getting in the miles.
    You are better of getting some structure into your training, some of which should involve hill work (reps and even longer runs).

• Advertisement

When you say 45km, is it pure footpaths, trails, hills?

It's like the old adage if you keep doing the same thing you will keep getting the same results. You need mix it up- speedwork (long & short intervals), hill sessions, hilly trails, footpaths etc.

I you are stuggling for guidance then you might look to find a coach or follow a plan.

Some good points there.

I just go to my local park where I run on the tarmac or grass. The odd day I would go for a run on the footpaths around the local area.

I'm consistent with my running but I never do hills or speed work. There's no hills around my area really. I'm around the Santry area.

I might try find a plan so it will give me some structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Some good points there.

I just go to my local park where I run on the tarmac or grass. The odd day I would go for a run on the footpaths around the local area.

I'm consistent with my running but I never do hills or speed work. There's no hills around my area really. I'm around the Santry area.

Hills don't have to be mountains. Do some repeats in Santry Demesne on the uphill part, Ballymun Road where it meets Griffith Avenue either would work. Just 30 secs uphill with a slow jog back down to recover would be fine. Start with 3 or 4 reps and build up...Once a week is enough for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Some good points there.

The flyover, grace park or swords Road would all be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Going from 10mm to 6mm droo shouldn't be to much of an issue as long as you give yourself a period of time to adjust.
    The best way to strengthen your achillies is to actually use it through its full range of motion. Wearing a low drop shoe will help that, as will doing some barefoot running. The key is as always, gradual adaptation .
    The best way to strengthen your Achilles and not end up injured is to do seated calf raises. Otherwise running barefoot will end up with you walking disheartened back to your car
    No you dont need to do strength/resistance training
    Im not saying that theres not a place for it, but the vast majority of runners rely on s&c to much instead of getting in the miles.
    You are better of getting some structure into your training, some of which should involve hill work (reps and even longer runs).
    I couldn’t disagree with this more. The vast majority of runners end up injured because of either over training or an inherinent weakness in their chain somewhere. Often times it’s glutes, hamstrings or calves.
    I am a director of a physio practice and I hear about it day in day out. Personally since meeting my OH (a physio) and doing strength in combination with my running I have never needed a physio as little as I do now.

Slideways wrote: »
    The best way to strengthen your Achilles and not end up injured is to do seated calf raises. Otherwise running barefoot will end up with you walking disheartened back to your car

I couldn’t disagree with this more. The vast majority of runners end up injured because of either over training or an inherinent weakness in their chain somewhere. Often times it’s glutes, hamstrings or calves.
    I am a director of a physio practice and I hear about it day in day out. Personally since meeting my OH (a physio) and doing strength in combination with my running I have never needed a physio as little as I do now.

I have rehabed a lot of athletes with achillies problems, and part of their rehab process involved barefoot running. Most of these athletes have been down the conventional route of calf raises. So to say that you will end up injured and walking back to your car is a tad dramatic.

As I said, there is a place for s&c, if you have specific weak areas, then of course these should be addressed.
    But the vast majority of athletes are aerobically under developed, hence why I said they need more milage. You can develop very good muscular endurance and strengthen by following a well rounded training programme.
    Also "some" of strengthen exercises that athletes do aren't worth their while doing as they don't transfer into the gait cycle or they're butchered so much that they have no idea what muscle they are working as they're just trying to lift/move the weight.

Always good to engage though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Thanks

TbL

I've had similar before. The "scholl pressure point foam padding" is Brill. You can cut it to size, and even though it has its own adhesive, I throw an extra layer of kinesiology tape over it or medical tape will do.
    Should be able to get items in the pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Ceepo, sounds sensible, i'll do some strengthening exercises also.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi

As others have answered for me, i did mean strength just from mileage rather than strength training per se.
    Some good points there.

Personally i was running a couple of years before i followed a structured plan and it made an immense difference once i did follow one.

I think you will see a big improvement on your current tactic of running until your body tells you to stop every time :eek: Most runs should be easy - if you run 5 times per week as an example then 3 out 5 runs in the week will be very enjoyable, conversation pace, 40-65mins max. Push yourself once a week with some faster/speed intervals or hill reps like already suggested to you. And 1 longer easy run - build this up over time.

If you wear a Garmin they have some built in plans. Also the likes of runners world will have beginner plans for 10k or half marathon etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

I have rehabed a lot of athletes with achillies problems, and part of their rehab process involved barefoot running. Most of these athletes have been down the conventional route of calf raises. So to say that you will end up injured and walking back to your car is a tad dramatic.

As I said, there is a place for s&c, if you have specific weak areas, then of course these should be addressed.
    But the vast majority of athletes are aerobically under developed, hence why I said they need more milage. You can develop very good muscular endurance and strengthen by following a well rounded training programme.
    Also "some" of strengthen exercises that athletes do aren't worth their while doing as they don't transfer into the gait cycle or they're butchered so much that they have no idea what muscle they are working as they're just trying to lift/move the weight.

Always good to engage though ;)

Happy to agree to differ. No solution is perfect and different people respond differently.

• Advertisement

I wear a Garmin Fenix 5S guys. Where are the training plans? On the Connect App or website? Thanks

Advertisement