Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

Omega28 wrote: »
    I wear a Garmin Fenix 5S guys. Where are the training plans? On the Connect App or website? Thanks

On Garmin connect, in the app, click more bottom right, then training, then training plans and it should sync to your watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I wear a Garmin Fenix 5S guys. Where are the training plans? On the Connect App or website? Thanks

In both the app and the website under training, training plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Well this is interesting....
    Kinda backs up what I was saying earlier...

Endless workouts to build strength and stamina, training in a squad and hardly any stretching. These are some of the principles Marc Scott sticks to.

Scott says it is “very strength orientated” – and by that he means stamina-building as opposed to ‘strength work’ in the gym with weights.

As for weights work, Scott adds: “We’re not big in the gym. We do go there but lots of it is bodyweight stuff with a separate coach.”

Scott is not a fan of stretching or conditioning exercises. “I wish I could say I did all ‘the little things’ well, but I don’t,” he admits. “With my diet, I do try to eat well and I’ve tried to do better with it lately. With foam rolling and stretching, I’ve never been a fan of it and never will be.

https://athleticsweekly.com/performance/training/marc-scotts-training-principles-1039942022/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    This is very reassuring to hear, thank you! I went to my GP this morning and she is not concerned but is referring me to a cardiologist for a stress test for peace of mind.

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will focus on running at a much slower pace for now until I increase my aerobic fitness/have the stress test done.

Just following up on this.

Went to the cardiologist - both the ECG and ECHO came back perfect. The consultant said not to worry about having a high, continuous HR (even if it's over 200 bpm) as it means nothing once an ECG, ECHO, and bloods are normal. He said someone can run 5 marathons in a row at a continuous HR of 200 and they'll be perfectly fine (once the above factors are normal and healthy). Very relieved.

On a side note - I've noticed more people tend to run in my area when it's raining. Is there a benefit to running in the rain? Is it easier/more enjoyable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Went to the cardiologist - both the ECG and ECHO came back perfect. The consultant said not to worry about having a high, continuous HR (even if it's over 200 bpm) as it means nothing once an ECG, ECHO, and bloods are normal. He said someone can run 5 marathons in a row at a continuous HR of 200 and they'll be perfectly fine (once the above factors are normal and healthy). Very relieved.

On a side note - I've noticed more people tend to run in my area when it's raining. Is there a benefit to running in the rain? Is it easier/more enjoyable?

Great news, I had a max of 205 about 10 yrs ago, and I've come across others with a little higher again. Your PT seems to be right with the max he gave you.

Running in the rain just means less people out and more space for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Running in the rain can be glorious, I get the runners high way more easily when running in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What Wottle said. I don't particularly enjoy running in the rain, but you do get a lot more space than you would if you went out running on a glorious sunny day and the streets/trails are packed with people. I used to enjoy running after dark in winter for the same reason. (Days are getting longer now so not as practical to wait till after dark).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I love running in the rain - cold wet conditions tend to suit me more than warm hot ones. I found Cork half hard going a few years ago that we had nice weather. I think it was 15 / 16 degrees . I was bate. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Also a fan of running in rain - especially for tempo sessions, where the cooling effect really helps, I find. And yes, far fewer walkers means more room for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Running in the rain is great for a few reasons:

- less people, more space
    - cooler
    - feel like a bad ass
    - hot showers afterwards are unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

AhhHere wrote: »

- cooler
    - feel like a bad ass

I thought hot showers/baths are not a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Looking for a new pair of trainers - any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Saucony Endorphin Speed getting great reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

I work in a place where it can often be high 30s in the evening after work when I run so when it rains I’m in heaven.

The only down side to running in the rain is it has a tendency to increase the likelihood of chafe. Especially around the nips and on the quads where the hem of my shorts finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

There's a whole thread on the topic! Enjoy at the peril of your wallet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

AhhHere wrote: »

- cooler
    - feel like a bad ass

Don't forget to run it slow motion in your head for a more dramatic look...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Do people recommend running specific clothes?

I've been plodding along in whatever cheap suff I found online, I think it's all Canterbury tops, vapo dry or vaper dry or something like that, seems to do the job. It's probably "gym" wear I guess.

I got some cheap karrimor shorts from whatever website it is that sells those, they seem fine. I have running socks.

As I'm running more often now I'm probably due another one or two outfits to have and just wondering if I'd notice any benefits to running tshirts over and above a wicking type of sports top?

I generally find merino wool to be the most comfortable for running tops. Lot of cheaply made synthetic tops like the ones you often get for free at races don't feel that nice to run in imo. Supernatural ones are my favourite, they're on sale quite regularly on sportpursuit.com, they fit nicely and don't fall apart like Icebreaker merino tops do.

Karrimor shorts are from Decathlon I believe. They ripped more quickly than other running shorts I've used but aside from that I've been very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Stark wrote: »
    I generally find merino wool to be the most comfortable for running tops. Lot of cheaply made synthetic tops like the ones you often get for free at races don't feel that nice to run in imo. Supernatural ones are my favourite, they're on sale quite regularly on sportpursuit.com, they fit nicely and don't fall apart like Icebreaker merino tops do.

Karrimor shorts are from Decathlon I believe. They ripped more quickly than other running shorts I've used but aside from that I've been very happy with them.

Karrimor is Sports Direct. Decathlon gear is called Kalenji.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Do people recommend running specific clothes?

I've been plodding along in whatever cheap suff I found online, I think it's all Canterbury tops, vapo dry or vaper dry or something like that, seems to do the job. It's probably "gym" wear I guess.

I got some cheap karrimor shorts from whatever website it is that sells those, they seem fine. I have running socks.

As I'm running more often now I'm probably due another one or two outfits to have and just wondering if I'd notice any benefits to running tshirts over and above a wicking type of sports top?

You can really spend as much or as little as you like on running gear. My first couple of years my gear was mostly Penneys. Now it's a couple of pairs of leggings that I rotate, t-shirts from races, one pair of shorts I've been wearing for about six years and a couple of tops. I do have a merino wool top I got in Lidl that's great in winter, and just this year I got a running jacket in decathlon that I love. But generally sounds like you're grand, so you probably don't need anything new right now. For women, a good sports bra is probably the essential item.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Maybe a weird one for this thread but.. does anyone find it boring running on a track as opposed to a road?! In my almost four years of running I've almost exclusively ran on roads until I recently tried out a local running track. I've ran on it four times now and the most recent one I almost gave up after 20 minutes I was so bored. It's a 250m track, so it's obviously totally different to running on an open road when there's nothing to aim for up ahead. I only ever really use it when the legs are a bit tired and I want a softer surface than a country road.. but the runs really feel like a chore. Anyone feel the same? :o

Seve OB wrote: »
    I thought hot showers/baths are not a good idea?

New to me. Where did this thought come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Maybe a weird one for this thread but.. does anyone find it boring running on a track as opposed to a road?! In my almost four years of running I've almost exclusively ran on roads until I recently tried out a local running track. I've ran on it four times now and the most recent one I almost gave up after 20 minutes I was so bored. It's a 250m track, so it's obviously totally different to running on an open road when there's nothing to aim for up ahead. I only ever really use it when the legs are a bit tired and I want a softer surface than a country road.. but the runs really feel like a chore. Anyone feel the same? :o

I'd use the track for club interval/speed sessions and I enjoy that; you're trying to keep pace with someone or they're trying to keep pace with you and it keeps it all neat and tidy. But other than that it doesn't appeal to me. If time allows, I'll run to the track and have my warm up done rather than warming up on the track. I might do a lap or 2 when I arrive but give me the road any day.

Seve OB wrote: »

Ice bath after every run = overkill! :)

Plus:

The inflammatory response in the muscles is part of the adaptation process, enabling improvements in strength. So perhaps reserve ice baths for times when quick recovery is crucial, such as after your last hard session before a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Murph_D wrote: »

Plus:

The inflammatory response in the muscles is part of the adaptation process, enabling improvements in strength. So perhaps reserve ice baths for times when quick recovery is crucial, such as after your last hard session before a race.

There's also the neurological competent of recovery to consider.

Cold therapy can be great for making you FEEL ready to train again, but it doesn't mean you're firing on all cylinders.

Murph_D wrote: »

Plus:

Fair enough, I wouldn’t be having an ice bath......ever lol.
    But I was more referring to the point of hot baths/showers not being good after a training session.
    I tend to go somewhere in the middle myself.

This is definitely in ‘overcomplicating’ territory!

FinnC wrote: »
    Karrimor is Sports Direct. Decathlon gear is called Kalenji.

Funnily enough, just noticed that one of the synthetic tops which I do like is Karrimor brand (got it as a present). Didn't realise it was a "budget" brand, feels more premium than most of the synthetics tees I own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

There is (was?) a 24 hour race in Belfast, that takes place on a 400m track (I believe some boards.ie users have been competitors!). Round and round for a day! Always sounded mental to me

Advertisement