Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi everyone, looking for a little advice, I just completed a couch to 5k yesterday and I really enjoyed it and the progress. Ran the 5k in 33.30 yesterday so not quick but 8 weeks ago I had to walk after 3mins jogging! Now I don’t know what to do next. Continue doing 5k’s and try improve my time or push on and do a 5k to 10k program? I do really enjoy the long slow runs and love the idea of someday doing a half marathon (although hard to picture being able to do 5k 4 times in a row, I was very glad to see the car yesterday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi everyone, looking for a little advice, I just completed a couch to 5k yesterday and I really enjoyed it and the progress. Ran the 5k in 33.30 yesterday so not quick but 8 weeks ago I had to walk after 3mins jogging! Now I don’t know what to do next. Continue doing 5k’s and try improve my time or push on and do a 5k to 10k program? I do really enjoy the long slow runs and love the idea of someday doing a half marathon (although hard to picture being able to do 5k 4 times in a row, I was very glad to see the car yesterday!)

If you push on to do a 5-10k program then your 5k time will likely improve as a result, win-win.

I don't think there's any advantage to focussing on time (yet) or adding anything too complicated to what you're doing. Keep it simple, increase the distance gradually. Consistently running 3 or 4 days a week every week is the key.

Run slow and enjoy it. The plan you follow might have some faster stuff 1 or 2 days and by all means go with it but any day that is supposed to be easy then make sure it genuinely is easy.

That 5k time will drop and your goal of running a HM is definitely achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bored with no golf also I see :)
    i'm trying to break 30 mins, make that your goal and i'll chase you around the course next time i see ya. charlie & space will bring up the rear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Just done my fourth 10km. Running only 8 weeks. 7.41 min km pace. Shockingly slow and disheartening compared to others on Instagram/Boards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Omega28 wrote: »
    Just done my fourth 10km. Running only 8 weeks. 7.41 min km pace. Shockingly slow and disheartening compared to others on Instagram/Boards etc

If you don't want to drive yourself totally insane give up comparing with others :pac: Everyone has their own starting point to build from. You are taking the right approach by keeping it slower for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Try not to compare yourself to others, there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you and that's true for absolutely ALL of us. You will have people here that run 10k in a time you and I can only dream of but there is still someone faster than them that they aspire to. Wanting to improve is a good thing and it drives us on but don't let it steal the joy out of what you can do right now and what you have achieved already. Remember there are people out there who would love to be able do what you can do right now!

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There is (was?) a 24 hour race in Belfast, that takes place on a 400m track (I believe some boards.ie users have been competitors!). Round and round for a day! Always sounded mental to me

Training and racing are two very different things.

Running 563 laps in that race did not provide one single moment of boredom.
    However, ask me to do more than 2 laps of anything in training and I have a meltdown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    bored with no golf also I see :)
    i'm trying to break 30 mins, make that your goal and i'll chase you around the course next time i see ya. charlie & space will bring up the rear :D

there'll be nobody left to play golf soon!!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well done!

I finished my Couch to 5K on Friday as well so am just going to concentrate on running the 5k 3 times a week and see where it goes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You are only running 8 weeks and are already doing 10k.
    That in itself is a massive achievement, well done.

I know exactly what you mean re the times, I’m in the same boat. I recommend you set yourself up with a plan which you can follow, it won’t be long before you see the times falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Hi all, anyone any advice on how to return from a (relative minor) calf pull. Happened about 10days ago, felt leg locking up about 6km into run, had to walk home as got extremely tight.
    Laid off for a week, then tried a jog and stopped after 1km as started to tighten, now 3days ago.
    Any advice on how long I should rest for, anything I should do in meantime (avoid stretching or not etc), what distance I should return to (typically run 8-10km 2-3 times a week since new year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Waesfjord wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone any advice on how to return from a (relative minor) calf pull. Happened about 10days ago, felt leg locking up about 6km into run, had to walk home as got extremely tight.
    Laid off for a week, then tried a jog and stopped after 1km as started to tighten, now 3days ago.
    Any advice on how long I should rest for, anything I should do in meantime (avoid stretching or not etc), what distance I should return to (typically run 8-10km 2-3 times a week since new year).

I would advise booking an appointment with a physio, they can operate under level 5 restrictions. I injured my calf in a time trial in November...I attempted some exercises I know myself from previous incidents of same, went to a PT I know...didn't follow advice properly and got back running in a few weeks. Ended up reinjuring around Christmas, another few weeks off but this time returning to running following my physios advice much more carefully I am now back running 4 times a week around a month now. No speed work yet at the moment but can run fine and progressing well with it...go to a physio and let them guide you. Try find a running specific physio in your area if you can...you'll be visiting them here and there in the years to come as niggles come and go. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I was told that the Nike React is a great shoe for injury free running. A quick google informs me that's many many versions of this shoe.

Which is the one for a 75kg man in his 40's who likes running on trail in the hills, for instance? :)

And do they fit the same as Asics DS trainers, as that's what I have worn for the last 10 years for my trail running.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Peterx wrote: »
    I was told that the Nike React is a great shoe for injury free running. A quick google informs me that's many many versions of this shoe.

Which is the one for a 75kg man in his 40's who likes running on trail in the hills, for instance? :)

And do they fit the same as Asics DS trainers, as that's what I have worn for the last 10 years for my trail running.

Thanks

If you're gonna be on trails, it's worth considering the nike pegasus trail 2 - I've a goretex pair I got for winter trail running and LOVE them.

Lots of brands do trail versions of their popular shoes but I can only speak to those.

(I'm 96kg and mid 30s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

You’ve ran four 10ks since only taking up running 8 weeks ago?? That is absolutely amazing! I only started running in March 2020 and I didn’t manage to run my first 10k till this year. Massive kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on being at the tenk mark already . After 8 weeks that is an achievement - don’t compare yourself to others - as everyone is on a different leg of the journey .

Enjoy running and try not to worry about time for now . Sometimes I just don’t bother wearing a watch - to allow myself the pleasure of just running for running sake . Highly recommend this approach - means I don’t beat myself up for a “slow” run and just congratulate myself for a enjoyable saunter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

ariana` wrote: »
    !

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

I am so nicking that line . Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

There is (was?) a 24 hour race in Belfast, that takes place on a 400m track (I believe some boards.ie users have been competitors!). Round and round for a day! Always sounded mental to me

The race had to move away from the track in preparation for hosting the world championships (since a rack wouldn't be able to cope with the numbers), and never returned (for the happy reason that it is too popular). But we did get 5 or 6 years of annual 24 hour track running. I did3 or 4 of them, maxing out at 244km.

As it happens my first 24 hour race was on a track in London (Tooting Bec). The firs time I ran a lap of a track was my first lap of that race! In fact I don't think I've ever run a lap of a track that wasn't part of a race.

Actually I think my last "track" lap was a one lap race in the original Olympic Stadium in Athens (Not exactly an orthodox track, ironically), head to head against my wife. I lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

diego_b wrote: »
    I would advise booking an appointment with a physio, they can operate under level 5 restrictions. I injured my calf in a time trial in November...I attempted some exercises I know myself from previous incidents of same, went to a PT I know...didn't follow advice properly and got back running in a few weeks. Ended up reinjuring around Christmas, another few weeks off but this time returning to running following my physios advice much more carefully I am now back running 4 times a week around a month now. No speed work yet at the moment but can run fine and progressing well with it...go to a physio and let them guide you. Try find a running specific physio in your area if you can...you'll be visiting them here and there in the years to come as niggles come and go. Best of luck with it!
    I second this.

I’m in the very lucky position as a runner in that Ms Slideways is not only a gun runner but also a physio so I get treatment when I need it. Luckily enough since I met her and started following her guidance with strength I don’t need it that often.

A good running physio with get dry needles in there and release it. That will work wonders (after the day hobbling post needles) wears off and will more than likely give you strength exercises within a week or two of first treatment. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Well done to those who commented recently about starting running or completing c25k. I would suggest just trying to build on the habit of running and to enjoy it. With no races or group training allowable for the moment, just enjoy this newfound wonder and sense of achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

Enduro wrote: »

Actually I think my last "track" lap was a one lap race in the original Olympic Stadium in Athens (Not exactly an orthodox track, ironically), head to head against my wife. I lost.

I take it you where at a slight disadvantage having run 246km the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ed...... wrote: »
    I take it you where at a slight disadvantage having run 246km the day before.

2 days before :)

I ran 22k today in 2:03. I’ve a throbbing sensation in my calves and my knees are quite sore. Walking up/down the staircase is very tough!

How long should this last and how many days off should I take?

Note - this was only my second time running this distance. Last and first ever time was 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I ran 22k today in 2:03. I’ve a throbbing sensation in my calves and my knees are quite sore. Walking up/down the staircase is very tough!

How long should this last and how many days off should I take?

Note - this was only my second time running this distance. Last and first ever time was 3 months ago.

What was your longest run each week in between.?

Ceepo wrote: »
    What was your longest run each week in between.?

I’ve been running 10k approx 2x per week and 5k approx 2x per week, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I’ve been running 10k approx 2x per week and 5k approx 2x per week, also.

What was the reason behind doubling your long run?
    To answer you original question.
    There are no set recovery times. Recovery depends on a lot of factors including sleep nutrition and also the amount of stress you placed on your muscles and joints.
    Its always better to do some form of movement or exercise shortnwalks or light easy runs, as this will help blood flow to aid the healing process.

Ceepo wrote: »
    What was the reason behind doubling your long run?
    To answer you original question.
    There are no set recovery times. Recovery depends on a lot of factors including sleep nutrition and also the amount of stress you placed on your muscles and joints.
    Its always better to do some form of movement or exercise shortnwalks or light easy runs, as this will help blood flow to aid the healing process.

Thanks, Ceepo. I ran that distance to see if I could. I wouldn’t be able for a light jog today, but I can walk.

On another note - What’s your opinion on treadmill running? I’ve heard people call this ‘cheating’, but I’m not sure why they say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

On another note - What’s your opinion on treadmill running? I’ve heard people call this ‘cheating’, but I’m not sure why they say this.

Treadmill running has its place, not exclusively, but as a useful tool.
    For context, I ran 37.5% of my mileage on the treadmill last year, 1200 of 3200 miles.
    Main use was easy runs and pace runs when the weather outside was sh1t and during initial lockdowns. I have a Stryd footpod which is pretty accurate, but I pay equal attention to relative heartrate.
    Also great when recovering from injury or a niggle, where you won't find yourself a few miles from home when the better option would be to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Looking to get back into running but each time I do, I end up with numb feet after about 1km... does anyone have any experience of this? Any recommendations?

I have a feeling my shoes might be too tight but im not sure if that causes it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Looking to get back into running but each time I do, I end up with numb feet after about 1km... does anyone have any experience of this? Any recommendations?

I have a feeling my shoes might be too tight but im not sure if that causes it?

The shoes might be pinching on a nerve if they are laced up too tight. Your feet will expand when running so always best to allow sufficent give.

Advertisement