Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I lick my finger and then rub it on the appropriate areas

Wrong group :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Am I the only one that spits on my strap?

That's disgusting. You crossed a very wide line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

That's disgusting. You crossed a very wide line there.

Makes sense. It's ok to put saliva on your strap, but only if another body part comes in contact with it in the process :P

Talk to me about sunscreen.

I sweat a lot. And I'm on the traditional Irish end of the complexion scale.

Anyone using a sunscreen they particularly like that doesn't run and sting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Jaysus lads - wet the finger from the tap ( obviously 😠) and run it along the strap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads - wet the finger from the tap ( obviously 😠) and run it along the strap.

And miss out on all that salty goodness!?!

And miss out on all that salty goodness!?!

The thoughts ! It’s not doing my stomach much good - I must be right squeamish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well you weren't called Swashlicker for nothing ;):p

Sweatlicker you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Talk to me about sunscreen.

I sweat a lot. And I'm on the traditional Irish end of the complexion scale.

Anyone using a sunscreen they particularly like that doesn't run and sting?

https://www.boots.ie/riemann-p20-once-a-day-10-hours-sun-protection-spf20-100ml-10086557

I've found this very good.

healy1835 wrote: »

Perfect. Thank you.

Stopped using it because I feel like it destroys clothes buuuuut I suppose with running gear it doesn't matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Wait... What... You're supposed to wet them?? Is ut just the chest straps or the wrist straps too... Asking for a friend :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Wait... What... You're supposed to wet them?? Is ut just the chest straps or the wrist straps too... Asking for a friend :o :pac:

Wrist straps as in watch?

Tell your friend 😂 It’s just the chest strap you wet.

Wrist straps as in watch?

Yeah I see its just the chest one though.

How do posters get smileys to come out properly - mine always look like this 😂 when I post ????

When you click reply post can you see smilies to the right of the reply box? If you click them they appear in your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sweatlicker you mean.

Haha yep that's the one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

How do posters get smileys to come out properly - mine always look like this �� when I post ????
    Probably because you're replying on your phone and using your phone smileys/emojis? The phone emojis will come up as gibberish.

On the desktop version of the site just pick from the smilies on the right of the text box you use when replying.
    Another option if on your phone is just type the text that corresponds to the boards smilie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How do posters get smileys to come out properly - mine always look like this 😂 when I post ????

If posting on your phone you have to do : : with the words in between like

:cool: is the word cool
    :eek: is eek
    And I think smile is just the old fashioned colan bracket :)
    Edit yep, that worked.

Boards doesn't like phone emojis...

:happy: :mad: :cool: :crying:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Running consistently the last few weeks now averaging 55km a week and I still can't break the 30 mins mark for a 5km without nearly exploding.

Tips? I feel like throwing the towel in

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Track sessions with club would probably be a big help.

When we can, obviously.

Stick with it, speed will come eventually, with efficiency and technique.

May look at cadence too.

You might also run faster with fresher legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Omega28 wrote: »
    Running consistently the last few weeks now averaging 55km a week and I still can't break the 30 mins mark for a 5km without nearly exploding.

Check out my thread.
    I’m nearly there.
    Signed up for a Garmin plan. It’s working.
    I’m going to try a proper 5k tomorrow for the first time and will report back. When I started back in jan I was close to 40 mins.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Check out my thread.
    I’m nearly there.
    Signed up for a Garmin plan. It’s working.
    I’m going to try a proper 5k tomorrow for the first time and will report back. When I started back in jan I was close to 40 mins.

What are you aiming for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How often are you attempting a hard 5k? Because that's something that should be attempted once every couple of weeks at most. How many times a week are you running? How many of those are "hard" days? What's your average pace like on the non-hard days?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    How often are you attempting a hard 5k? Because that's something that should be attempted once every couple of weeks at most. How many times a week are you running? How many of those are "hard" days? What's your average pace like on the non-hard days?

Every time I go out I aim to beat my best time of 30:01 mins for a 5k.

Running 5-6 times per week

My runs range from 5k - 10k

I would say 3 out of 5 are hard runs or 4 out of 6 days are hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

I might be mistaken, but I think you posted similar a few weeks back and got some solid advice from a number of posters.

The key is most running is easy, with 1 or 2 sessions (intervals, strides, hills) for speed. You have to allow yourself proper recovery from hard sessions/5k attempts or you'll end up with similar results every time, and possible injured. 4 out of 6 days hard is a recipe for disaster.

Not having a go, and it seems counterintuitive that slowing down in your training will help you run faster, but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That's your issue. If you're running 5-6 times a week and a relative novice, one hard run a week is more than enough. The vast majority of your runs should be at an easy pace, slow enough that you can talk away without being noticeably out of breath.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

30 mins

• Advertisement

Was the last run in the program. Week 11. And the first proper 5k.
    I had covered the distance in the sessions at 31:21 which was my best ever 5km time and knew I could so better as that included warm up and cool down.

I found it really tough today. Last 1.5-2k were brutal.
    Most of last km was uphill and I was really struggling but knew I was close to time so kept pushing.
    Brought it home in 29:52. Delighted but also a tad disappointed, I noticed at the start the GPS didn’t seem to kick in and as I know the course I ran about 100m further than I reckon I needed to, so real time was probably closer to 29:20. Guess it means I have to go out and post another time, but I’ll leave it a while, gonna enjoy a week or 2 of relaxing and a few gentle jogs.

Advertisement