Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Was the last run in the program. Week 11. And the first proper 5k.
    I had covered the distance in the sessions at 31:21 which was my best ever 5km time and knew I could so better as that included warm up and cool down.

I found it really tough today. Last 1.5-2k were brutal.
    Most of last km was uphill and I was really struggling but knew I was close to time so kept pushing.
    Brought it home in 29:52. Delighted but also a tad disappointed, I noticed at the start the GPS didn’t seem to kick in and as I know the course I ran about 100m further than I reckon I needed to, so real time was probably closer to 29:20. Guess it means I have to go out and post another time, but I’ll leave it a while, gonna enjoy a week or 2 of relaxing and a few gentle jogs.

Good man. Keep the faith until golf resumes anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Not to sound like a total looney but I’ve started this new thing where I “talk to my hips” as I jog up hills and I must say, it really works. My strides end up longer and my hips open out, and I feel less breathless. It’s mad.

Does anyone else do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Went out and did 5km in 29:32. I was breathing quite hard for that time. Felt like I was going to die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Not to sound like a total looney but I’ve started this new thing where I “talk to my hips” as I jog up hills and I must say, it really works. My strides end up longer and my hips open out, and I feel less breathless. It’s mad.

Yes it sounds entirely mad. Having said that would you mind having a word with mine, particularly righty. I'd try anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I know what you're talking about alright....been reading a couple of books lately so have been trying to tweak couple of things relating to my running form.

Trying to focus a bit more on engaging my hips and quads a bit more in my stride.....early days yet but something feels a bit easier I think....or I could be losing my mind :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Yes it sounds entirely mad. Having said that would you mind having a word with mine, particularly righty. I'd try anything at this stage.

Ha! I was reading a board’s users running log the other day (I can’t recall the user’s name) and he said he talks to his body before running races, and it helps to activate body parts, so I gave it a try and it worked with the hips. Give it a shot Percy, you may surprise your righty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Omega28 wrote: »
    Went out and did 5km in 29:32. I was breathing quite hard for that time. Felt like I was going to die

Well done, fair play on the sub 30! Now please do some easy running for a couple of weeks before going at it again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ha! I was reading a board’s users running log the other day (I can’t recall the user’s name) and he said he talks to his body before running races, and it helps to activate body parts, so I gave it a try and it worked with the hips. Give it a shot Percy, you may surprise your righty :)

Was that me by any chance? If so, just to clarify it isn't related to activating anything. I don't think any self talk can do that. It's more a mental thing to get all the body systems talking to eachother so when the going gets tough they're not all fighting eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Well done Omega28 and seveOB and on the sub 30mins, now some recovery runs.

Self talk is fairly normal, though mine is normally

"come on, you can do this", variety.

Just bad when you say it out loud, then notice someone nearby, you didn't see.

Went back out today and did 10km in 64:03. The first 5km of the run was 29:59 so happy to finish the 10k. It was hard but not unbearably difficult like my first 2-3 10km runs.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Went back out today and did 10km in 64:03. The first 5km of the run was 29:59 so happy to finish the 10k. It was hard but not unbearably difficult like my first 2-3 10km runs.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

Im sure you're a really nice person, but jaysus you're not great at taking advice. (no offence).

You're after getting loads of great advice on training, time to take it on board.

I'm definitely going to take it easy now and do some more easy running for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm definitely going to take it easy now and do some more easy running for a bit

Look forward to hearing about it! It's important to appreciate the easy running too ..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Morning all, first time poster in this forum. I wouldn't have really considered myself a "runner" previously, even though I would do 4-5kms on the treadmill from time to time in the gym and the odd random short run on roads.

I never really got running, felt like my body wasn't designed for it. Due to lockdown last year though, I didn't have many other choices though for keeping up fitness so started running more on the road and actually started to enjoy it. So towards the end of last year, I set the goal of running a half marathon by April 18th (originally plan was half-Connemarathon but Covid said no).

This Sunday I ran the 21kms, the longest distance I've ever done and tbh, never thought I could do. I enjoyed the first 15k, but started to slow down and feel it at around 18k. Thankfully made it to the 21km target and did it under 2 hours too which I'm very pleased with.

The question I have now though, is what should I do next? I have no interest in doing a full marathon, so I'm ruling that out. I find that when running for more than 1 hour, I get a bit bored. It's also time consuming if doing a few runs a week. I'm thinking maybe stick to 3x 10kms per week, try mix up the routes a little and perhaps focus on increasing pace? Any suggestions welcome :)

My goals really are to stay fit, keep running enjoyable and manageable within a busy schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

eljono wrote: »
    Morning all, first time poster in this forum. I wouldn't have really considered myself a "runner" previously, even though I would do 4-5kms on the treadmill from time to time in the gym and the odd random short run on roads.

I never really got running, felt like my body wasn't designed for it. Due to lockdown last year though, I didn't have many other choices though for keeping up fitness so started running more on the road and actually started to enjoy it. So towards the end of last year, I set the goal of running a half marathon by April 18th (originally plan was half-Connemarathon but Covid said no).

This Sunday I ran the 21kms, the longest distance I've ever done and tbh, never thought I could do. I enjoyed the first 15k, but started to slow down and feel it at around 18k. Thankfully made it to the 21km target and did it under 2 hours too which I'm very pleased with.

The question I have now though, is what should I do next? I have no interest in doing a full marathon, so I'm ruling that out. I find that when running for more than 1 hour, I get a bit bored. It's also time consuming if doing a few runs a week. I'm thinking maybe stick to 3x 10kms per week, try mix up the routes a little and perhaps focus on increasing pace? Any suggestions welcome :)

My goals really are to stay fit, keep running enjoyable and manageable within a busy schedule.

3 x 10km a week would suit with 'My goals really are to stay fit, keep running enjoyable and manageable within a busy schedule' .But maybe look at different distances and improving your best times? It mixes it up a bit and keeps you pushing yourself. For example
    1 mile
    5km
    10km
    Half marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

eljono wrote: »

It all depends on *why you run*? If it's not to achieve a specific event, something that would excite you (rather than to be endured, although that's part of it) then there's no need to aim for it. If you want to be fit or fitter then any variety of running is good though I suggest a mix of low HR (i.e. slow and easy), intervals and the occasional hard and fast run (but short) will keep things interesting and be progressively better for overall fitness.

If you find runs boring but want to persevere find some interesting routes (to the degree than you can presently) and/or some good audio material (books, podcasts etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Thanks both, some interesting tips there. I never thought of trying PBs for different distances, might be a good approach to try out for a while and have some new challenges to aim for.

Best place to buy running shoes online, ideally somewhere with an easy returns policy?

Also, any recommendations on brand etc, mainly wanted for 5-10km runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best place to buy running shoes online, ideally somewhere with an easy returns policy?

Also, any recommendations on brand etc, mainly wanted for 5-10km runs.

Try the Gear & Equipment sub-forum. Lots of similar posts recently in the 'What shoes are you wearing now, what next' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

ariana` wrote: »
    Try the Gear & Equipment sub-forum. Lots of similar posts recently in the 'What shoes are you wearing now, what next' thread.

I’d not try there . It turns into an addiction fairly quickly and costs a lot of money ! :)

• Advertisement

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I’d not try there . It turns into an addiction fairly quickly and costs a lot of money ! :)

:pac: I forgot the disclaimer ;)

Got myself another pair of trainers. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37. Very funky and cool colour as well. Lots of people recommended them on here and they were on sale for €83 on the Nike.com site.

Prior to buying new runners I was wearing an old pair of Nike that had massive holes in them and a size too big��

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A bit of a niche sock question....

I generally hate any running socks with padding, cushioning, dual layers etc and have been running mainly in Hilly Mono Skins for a while now.

Struggling to find them online for non-extortionate prices (normally pick them up discounted at expos) so would be interested to know if there's any other similar skinny socks out there at a half reasonable price??

Cheers cm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Cartman78 wrote: »
    A bit of a niche sock question....

I generally hate any running socks with padding, cushioning, dual layers etc and have been running mainly in Hilly Mono Skins for a while now.

Struggling to find them online for non-extortionate prices (normally pick them up discounted at expos) so would be interested to know if there's any other similar skinny socks out there at a half reasonable price??

Cheers cm

Steigen do nice thin socks. They wear very well too. https://steigen.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Got myself another pair of trainers. Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37. Very funky and cool colour as well. Lots of people recommended them on here and they were on sale for €83 on the Nike.com site.

Prior to buying new runners I was wearing an old pair of Nike that had massive holes in them and a size too big��

I can't recall one person saying anything good about the Pegasus 37 but it's all relative. Hopefully they suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

keeping with the runners theme can anyone recommend a replacement for New Balance fresh foam zante 3 ? They’re discontinued and I need to replace my runners. Or if not NB a neutral runner.

tks

lulublue22 wrote: »
    keeping with the runners theme can anyone recommend a replacement for New Balance fresh foam vante 3 ? They’re discontinued and I need to replace my runners. Or if not NB a neutral runner.

tks

I haven't heard of the vante 3. But NB fresh foam 1080 v10 or v11 both get really good reviews but I haven't worn them.

I've recently provided a home to a pair of Reebox Floatride Energy 3.0, i got them for €45. I haven't run in them yet but they feel nice & light.

My go-to reliable neutral shoe is Brooks Ghost 13. Then there's Asics Nimbus...

These are reliable daily trainers, no bells/whistles, just bog standard easy run durable shoes.

I suppose it depends on what the vante was like, can you find any reviews that compare it to other shoes? I use this site for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I haven't heard of the vante 3. But NB fresh foam 1080 v10 or v11 both get really good reviews but I haven't worn them.

I've recently provided a home to a pair of Reebox Floatride Energy 3.0, i got them for €45. I haven't run in them yet but they feel nice & light.

These are reliable daily trainers, no bells/whistles, just bog standard easy run durable shoes.

I suppose it depends on what the vante was like, can you find any reviews that compare it to other shoes? I use this site for reviews.

Tks Ariana - I’m finding it hard to find comparisons between the zante 3 and any other shoe. Reluctant to pull the trigger on a pair of runners that I don’t know but kinda need to buy a pair 🀪
    Will check that website now tks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Tks Ariana - I’m finding it hard to find comparisons between the zante 3 and any other shoe. Reluctant to pull the trigger on a pair of runners that I don’t know but kinda need to buy a pair ��
    Will check that website now tks

I took a pair of NB v9 880 (can confirm if required) out of the box last week. Have had two runs in them so far and they are lovely. Find them very similar to the Brooks Ghost 13 actually.

Unusually for me they are a half a size bigger than everything I have worn for years but don't feel massive. Positive feedback so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I bought those Reebok on your recommendation, have only been for a couple of runs but they feel fine. I prefer the Brooks Ghost I think though, more ankle support.

Advertisement