Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I didn't know there was a HM in Bohermeen, it's only 25-30 mins from me. It'll be too soon for me next March bit I'll mark it down as a yearly event from 2016 on. It's great to have something like that so close to you, I thought I'd have to head for Dublin mid/late next year to do my 1st half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Has anyone done the Boston Scientific Half in Clonmel in August and what are the opinions in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Ososlo wrote: »
    Has anyone done the Boston Scientific Half in Clonmel in August and what are the opinions in it?

here is this years thread on the Clonmel half

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91196831

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

jake1970 wrote: »
    here is this years thread on the Clonmel half

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91196831

Super thanks jake. Couldn't find it searching on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

In the earlier part of 2015, I'm signed up for Carlingford on March 7. There's one in Bohermeen (near Navan) around the same time, which seems to attract a good few from these parts as well.

Just a word of caution about the carlingford half, it is consistently short every year. A few friends of mine have run it over the last three years and each year it is short, normally 12.9 max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I highly recommend it, good tough course but not as bad as some would tell you. Really well run by the Clonmel club and a good value event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just a word of caution about the carlingford half, it is consistently short every year. A few friends of mine have run it over the last three years and each year it is short, normally 12.9 max.

Aye, certainly there were a number of comments to that effect after this year's event. I didn't measure it myself, nor did I run any of the others. They did have to change the course due to storm damage. Anyway, hopefully the organisers can measure it to everyone's satisfaction for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I am looking for a target half marathon for Autumn 2015.
    Athlone was my goal race but I've just found out I can't do it due to a wedding:(
    How come weddings always seem to come between me and my running:confused: Rhetorical question!

Suggestions welcome. Anywhere in Ireland, North or South. Cheers. I know about the Race Series one so anything else?

There is one in Galway in September, I think TBL did it this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

SamforMayo wrote: »
    There is one in Galway in September, I think TBL did it this year .

Longford Half Marathon. End of August. Although there was also queries about the distance on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fecking crazy there are so many races that don't get the basic requirement right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

RayCun wrote: »
    Fecking crazy there are so many races that don't get the basic requirement right

That's why I'd pick Charleville. Good pb course and AIMS certified. Although, it had a lot to do with the death of my favourite HM in Blarney:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's why I'd pick Charleville. Good pb course and AIMS certified. Although, it had a lot to do with the death of my favourite HM in Blarney:(
    I think you might have that the wrong way around. Longford is AIMS certified. Charleville doesn't appear on the AIMS list. I've run the half in Longford a couple of times and it's a very solid race. Might go back again this year, but also planning on hitting Charleville, which sounds like a cracker.

I think you might have that the wrong way around. Longford is AIMS certified. Charleville doesn't appear on the AIMS list. I've run the half in Longford a couple of times and it's a very solid race. Might go back again this year, but also planning on hitting Charleville, which sounds like a cracker.

Strange! I'm looking at the AIMS running magazine from July 2014 which they handed out at registration and Charleville is there as an AIMS certified course.

The Cork City Marathon, Dublin Marathon, Longford Marathon and the Portumna Forest Marathon are also listed as AIMS certified courses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I am looking for a target half marathon for Autumn 2015.
    Athlone was my goal race but I've just found out I can't do it due to a wedding:(
    How come weddings always seem to come between me and my running:confused: Rhetorical question!

Suggestions welcome. Anywhere in Ireland, North or South. Cheers. I know about the Race Series one so anything else?

I ran a half just outside ballaghadereen roscommon (rosgorun )a week before the athlone half. First year of it. Low numbers but very well organised and marshaled and only 20 euro. Fundraiser for MS. Will definitely do it next year again if it's on. A mayo ac stalwart commented that it was great prep for dcm as it had a few drags on it.

Strange! I'm looking at the AIMS running magazine from July 2014 which they handed out at registration and Charleville is there as an AIMS certified course.

The Cork City Marathon, Dublin Marathon, Longford Marathon and the Portumna Forest Marathon are also listed as AIMS certified courses on it.
    They probably just need to review their certification, or it's simply an oversight. I thought it was unusual leafing through the AIMS magazine handed out at Frankfurt marathon, and finding a three page article on Longford marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

KC Charleville is not listed this year for some reason but was in previous years. The course was measured to AIMS spec so there is no question on its length providing it does not change. I have paced it twice and it is spot on as regards measurement and organisation.

ger664 wrote: »
    KC Charleville is not listed this year for some reason but was in previous years. The course was measured to AIMS spec so there is no question on its length providing it does not change. I have paced it twice and it is spot on as regards measurement and organisation.
    Yep, I said it doesn't appear on the AIMS list, not that it isn't AIMS certified. I'm sure it's the right distance. The organizers don't seem to leave anything to chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ger664 wrote: »

Longford is an AIMs certified course but they don't run the course that was certified when it was given the AIMs cert. They changed the start finish area about 3 years ago and it hasn't been remeasured since.
    Just shows you that an AIMs certificate is not worth the paper it is written on (so to speak ;))

menoscemo wrote: »
    Longford is an AIMs certified course but they don't run the course that was certified when it was given the AIMs cert. They changed the start finish area about 3 years ago and it hasn't been remeasured since.
    Just shows you that an AIMs certificate is not worth the paper it is written on (so to speak ;))

I'd be fairly pee'd off if a race organiser was advertising a certified course if in fact, it actually wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd be fairly pee'd off if a race organiser was advertising a certified course if in fact, it actually wasn't.

It does hold a valid AIMs cert though, I guess they'd paid for a set number of years or whatever but I am pretty sure they haven't told them they changed the course layout nor are AIMs bothered to ask.

Anyone who ran Longford pre and post 2013 will know the start area and first loop of the town have changed. My suspicion was aroused when I ran the half in 2013 (having previously ran the full) and my garmin didn't even get to 13 miles....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aims means feck all.apart from being able to afford a few Bob to be in therir magazine and say ur a member

...any clown can measure for aims.....edit....some of u will get this

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Aims means feck all.apart from being able to afford a few Bob to be in therir magazine and say ur a member

...any clown can measure for aims.....edit....some of u will get this
    I was chuffed to see my name appear in their magazine. Don't ruin it for me!

<I should point out that I'm not the clown that ultraman1 is referring to>

<I think>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was chuffed to see my name appear in their magazine. Don't ruin it for me!

<I should point out that I'm not the clown that ultraman1 is referring to>

<I think>

You should have paid them more. I got a name check AND my photo printed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

You should have paid them more. I got a name check AND my photo printed!
    Dey must look here for their info ...Dey have u down as a German:)....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Dey must look here for their info ...Dey have u down as a German:)....

I think they got that from the RD in question.
    Or maybe I should have paid them more ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Which of the runs in Ireland on 26th/27th/28th is most recommended? Seems to be about 10-15 different ones across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Don't suppose anyone has any quick fix for chaffing ??? Did a bit of damage on Monday & took a few more layers of skin off this morning. Don't want to stop running but it's getting worse every time I run. Any ideas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

kit3 wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone has any quick fix for chaffing ??? Did a bit of damage on Monday & took a few more layers of skin off this morning. Don't want to stop running but it's getting worse every time I run. Any ideas ??

Bodyglide is the only thing I know of that is guaranteed to prevent it, but to heal it, try sudocrem or Bephanten (both nappy rash creams :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Where is it? Thighs? Wear longer shorts/boxers

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's a bitch alright. Longer boxers, and maybe an extra layer too.

Advertisement