Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

PaulieC wrote: »
    Bodyglide is the only thing I know of that is guaranteed to prevent it, but to heal it, try sudocrem or Bephanten (both nappy rash creams :D).

Found some nappy rash powder at home & used it. Then got to thinking that the 'baby' of the house is now 8 and checked the date. Out of date since June 2013 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kit3 wrote: »
    Found some nappy rash powder at home & used it. Then got to thinking that the 'baby' of the house is now 8 and checked the date. Out of date since June 2013 :rolleyes:

Once you don't eat it you should be fine!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Don't suppose anyone has any quick fix for chaffing ??? Did a bit of damage on Monday & took a few more layers of skin off this morning. Don't want to stop running but it's getting worse every time I run. Any ideas ??

Body glide or if your stuck Vaseline to prevent. Sudocreme to heal. Have a close look at your gear, is it the seams causing the problem? Sometimes wearing things inside out solves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Re parkruns in Dublin - what is the easiest parkrun to access via publuc transport from city centre or heuston station?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Don't suppose anyone has any quick fix for chaffing ??? Did a bit of damage on Monday & took a few more layers of skin off this morning. Don't want to stop running but it's getting worse every time I run. Any ideas ??

Coconut oil. No chemicals to worry about and it does the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Re parkruns in Dublin - what is the easiest parkrun to access via publuc transport from city centre or heuston station?
    Cheers

I've never actually run it myself, but I think it's Malahide. Only a few hundred metres from the DART station it seems. Although you'd have to get the Luas down to Connolly first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Cheers
    16 bus will leave you at Marley Park. You could get it from O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I've never actually run it myself, but I think it's Malahide. Only a few hundred metres from the DART station it seems. Although you'd have to get the Luas down to Connolly first.

St Anne's is also very near to a Dart station (or two) but much closer to the city centre than Malahide.
    In terms of proximity to Heuston, probably Waterstown is the closest but not sure how to get there by Public transport. There must be buses though?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Cheers

Probably waterstown. Cross the Liffey at Heuston to conynghhghgnyghgnam road. Take the 25 or 26 bus from there and get off in Palmerston. Very short jog to the park from the main road.

Edit: 66 and 67 buses are good too.

menoscemo wrote: »
    St Anne's is also very near to a Dart station (or two) but much closer to the city centre than Malahide.
    In terms of proximity to Heuston, probably Waterstown is the closest but not sure how to get there by Public transport. There must be buses though?

There are buses, but they go from Eden Quay or Abbey Street. 130 is the one that would bring you closest, but I don't think they're that frequent on a Saturday morning. Nearest DART station is not really that close tbh. I actually think it's quite an awkward place to get to by public transport even though it's more central than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Cheers for replies.
    I wouldn't mind jogging a mile or 2 to the parkrun as long as it wouldn't be a maze.
    Would Waterstown be far on that bus timewise and would the timetable be regular enough to get back quickly?
    Ideally the public transport would be going every 15 minutes in order to have a quick turnaround.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheers for replies.
    I wouldn't mind jogging a mile or 2 to the parkrun as long as it wouldn't be a maze.
    Would Waterstown be far on that bus timewise and would the timetable be regular enough to get back quickly?
    Ideally the public transport would be going every 15 minutes in order to have a quick turnaround.

You could get a 79 or 79A from Heuston, get off at the Gala in Ballyfermot and it's a straight jog up to Watserstown from there. Only about 2 miles. Buses are regular enough too, not sure about early on Sat mornings though.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Body glide or if your stuck Vaseline to prevent. Sudocreme to heal. Have a close look at your gear, is it the seams causing the problem? Sometimes wearing things inside out solves it!

Body glide is great for preventing it and I'm usually good at that. Got an unexpected hole in my leggings on my run into work on Monday which started the problem. Thought briefly about getting the bus home but ran anyway which made the problem way worse :o Ran both ways today anyway but need to try sort it as it's getting worse ! Will get some coconut oil tomorrow - in the meantime I have some out of date nappy rash powder that 's drying it out ( it's just my thigh by the way :cool:). Got so wet tonight anyway didn't think about it till I got home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it on both thighs? Happened to me before when wearing short shorts in lashing rain and I just covered with a large hospital type plaster that didn't move, fall off etc
    Did the job until it all healed up

Cheers for replies.

If you're happy enough to jog a mile or two, I'd say all of the Dublin parkruns are easily accessible. Maybe check out which buses/trains are most frequent and go with that. St Anne's is probably the closest to the city (and flattest course) as Meno said.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Cheers for replies.

Bus to waterstown would take 10-15 mins from Heuston. You won't be waiting long for a bus back. Take a look at the route map here: parkrun.ie/waterstown/course Zoom out a little to spot the footbridge over the dual carriageway. There's a bus stop there, leaves you with a five min walk to the start.

Is it on both thighs? Happened to me before when wearing short shorts in lashing rain and I just covered with a large hospital type plaster that didn't move, fall off etc
    Did the job until it all healed up

Just one thankfully - will try that too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

This seemed the random thread I was looking for. I'm not a runner but am reasonably fit and in shape so I did attempt running for part of my walk the other day (New Year, new you and all that)

The day after I had bruises on my legs. Has this happened to anyone else? Are these impact bruises? I'm not overweight s wouldn't have thought this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

150 bus is frequent, leaves you right at Tymon park, takes about 25 minutes from city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

SamforMayo wrote: »

This stuff has magic properties - and the tub I have it as least 6 years old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Aiming for the Achill half marathon this summer as my first half. The last few months I've just been trying to get my millage up and should be around 100 km for January. But I want to start trying to improve the way I run now. Could anyone recommend a book or program for you first half marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

6781 wrote: »
    Aiming for the Achill half marathon this summer as my first half. The last few months I've just been trying to get my millage up and should be around 100 km for January. But I want to start trying to improve the way I run now. Could anyone recommend a book or program for you first half marathon?

I am currently training for my third half marathon - last two were Dublin Race series and Clontarf in November. For both of those I used a custom program that you build on MyAsics.com, enter a few details and it creates the plan, it can then be tweaked to suit you. Very good in my limited opinion!

Now however I am sticking to a 12 week Hal Higdon plan.

Personally I would say whatever plan you decide to go with - be consistent. Also running with other people can be great so consider joining a club or group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I'm considering joining my local AC although some of those guys are in a different league to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

I'm considering joining my local AC although some of those guys are in a different league to me.

That would be the best thing to do. Clubs encompass all abilities from beginners to top-end racers, there's nothing to be intimidated about. Then, you will have a coach to bounce ideas off and learn from. Way better than a general training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

This seemed the random thread I was looking for. I'm not a runner but am reasonably fit and in shape so I did attempt running for part of my walk the other day (New Year, new you and all that)

The day after I had bruises on my legs. Has this happened to anyone else? Are these impact bruises? I'm not overweight s wouldn't have thought this would happen.

It's not usual. In fact I've never heard of it happening before. I'd consult a doctor, to be honest. Not trying to be alarmist or anything, but there's no way that a little running can result in bruising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Where abouts are the bruises?

Are they on the inside of calves by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I've seen someone get bruises after a run once before and it was a medical issue. His were pretty severe but he was overweight and not very fit. If you're concerned enough about it to ask here it's probably a good idea to show your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

To improve the way that you run people have looked at courses run by Catherina McKiernan (Chi running) or Champions Everywhere. Online stuff can be got from Kinetic Rev and there's a lot of stuff about Pose running. Much better off getting it in person if you can IMO.

To improve your training, go looking for plans online, find one that suits your lifestyle and is at about your current level. Make sure that the plan gets progressively harder and follow it. In an ideal world your plan will progress all of your runs and not just your long run at the weekend but it has to fit in with your life too.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

This happens me. I'm not overweight either. I get tiny little bruises around knees and the odd one on calfs. I'm very healthy and quite fit so never worried about it and all my recent blood tests are clear.
    I wouldn't worry but maybe get your bloods done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Clearlier wrote: »
    To improve the way that you run people have looked at courses run by Catherina McKiernan (Chi running) or Champions Everywhere. Online stuff can be got from Kinetic Rev and there's a lot of stuff about Pose running. Much better off getting it in person if you can IMO.

Personally, I believe anyone looking to change their form should go to a person with medical knowledge of the kinetic chain. All the above are radical overhaul approaches and not individualized.

The instructors have no medical or biomechanical qualifications. Catherina Mc Kiernan, great runner but I wouldn't go to her for form changes just like I wouldn't go to Kenneisa Bekele for physio.

Advertisement