Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Clearlier wrote: »
    To improve the way that you run people have looked at courses run by Catherina McKiernan (Chi running) or Champions Everywhere. Online stuff can be got from Kinetic Rev and there's a lot of stuff about Pose running. Much better off getting it in person if you can IMO.

To improve your training, go looking for plans online, find one that suits your lifestyle and is at about your current level. Make sure that the plan gets progressively harder and follow it. In an ideal world your plan will progress all of your runs and not just your long run at the weekend but it has to fit in with your life too.

Good luck!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    This happens me. I'm not overweight either. I get tiny little bruises around knees and the odd one on calfs. I'm very healthy and quite fit so never worried about it and all my recent blood tests are clear.
    I wouldn't worry but maybe get your bloods done.

My legs are always covered in bruises. Anytime I go for a sports massage he's always asking what the story is with all the bruises. I think I just walk into things moreso than getting them from running. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Personally, I believe anyone looking to change their form should go to a person with medical knowledge of the kinetic chain. All the above are radical overhaul approaches and not individualized.

The instructors have no medical or biomechanical qualifications. Catherina Mc Kiernan, great runner but I wouldn't go to her for form changes just like I wouldn't go to Kenneisa Bekele for physio.

Perhaps I should have been clearer that I wasn't recommending these just stating that they were options especially as I have my own concerns about Chi and Pose methodologies (although I think that they still have a fair bit offer) and occasionally slightly cultish atmosphere.

That said Kinetic rev (James Dunne) has a BSc in Sports Rehabilitation and does offer individual instruction (makes a point of saying that one size doesn't fit all) both in person and online. I've attended one of his group training sessions and it was clear that he did view everybody differently and doesn't believe in radical overhauls.

For Champions Everywhere I've certainly seen Rene posting on boards saying that you can't give tips on good form online. I think that it's going a bit too far as qualified correctly I think that it is possible to make some general points but it's the statement of somebody who thinks that an individualised approach is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hunter gatherer

The bruises appear on my shins, just below my knee. Medium to large in size but disappear like normal bruises do. Might be worth looking into medically. Just didn't want to go to a doctor and have him or her say it was just caused by the impact of running. Which I suppose shouldn't really happen as I don't pound the pavement and am of a healthy weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What's the Phoenix park like for running in the dark? Can you see where your going on the paths etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What's the Phoenix park like for running in the dark? Can you see where your going on the paths etc?
    No, you'd need a head-lamp. The only exception is North Rd, which isn't too badly lit. But Military Rd, Upper+Lwr Glen, Ordnance Rd are all very dark. As for Chesterfield, the inner path (for pedestrians) is too dark and too cut-up, and the on the cycle path, you're liable to get hit by a cyclist, it's very hard to make yourself visible enough when they will have car headlights in their eyes from the traffic.

IMO anyway. I find running on the city streets far better and safer, the only mild annoyance is the odd traffic-stop, where it might be hard to cross a road

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Would St. Anne's Park in Raheny be considered safe for a laydeee:) to run in in the dark winter evenings? From a safety point of view and from a lighting point of view?
    Actually, maybe it closes altogether in the night time????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Would St. Anne's Park in Raheny be considered safe for a laydeee:) to run in in the dark winter evenings? From a safety point of view and from a lighting point of view?
    Don't know St Anne's park but wouldn't venture into any park on my own in the dark evenings - can't be any comfort in it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

From my work point if view, certainly would not advise it. Seen some weird characters in that park during night time hours!!

kit3 wrote: »
    Don't know St Anne's park but wouldn't venture into any park on my own in the dark evenings - can't be any comfort in it anyway.
    tang1 wrote: »
    From my work point if view, certainly would not advise it. Seen some weird characters in that park during night time hours!!

I hear yiz! I'm thinking more about just the avenue? Perfect for my long strides session. I could do the recovery and w/u c/d outside the gates. Is the avenue lit up?

I hear yiz! I'm thinking more about just the avenue? Perfect for my long strides session. I could do the recovery and w/u c/d outside the gates. Is the avenue lit up?

Open to correction on this, but i dont think so. Only bit of street light that covered the main avenue was at the Sybil Hill Rd entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

tang1 wrote: »
    Open to correction on this, but i dont think so. Only bit of street light that covered the main avenue was at the Sybil Hill Rd entrance.

You are correct tang. I ventured in there one night thinking the avenue would be lit up, but it's completely pitch dark. I can't believe I hadn't noticed there were no lampposts before, having been there so many times for the parkrun.

Chesterfield Avenue is lit up, but only by the roadside which also covers the cycle lane. The path is much further in on both sides and not lit at all afaik.

I think in general it's always a good idea to stay away from parks at night (running or otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I love running round dark empty parks with a headlamp. Have no issue doing it in Tymon.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Phoneix park is grand in the dark, Chesterfield ave and North Road side only!. The military road side is very dark/dodge. Hard to put a number on it but I reckon there was at least 50 people running btn 7-8PM last night.

Having said that I normally run with a group, tried a solo run around 10pm a few weeks before Christmas - pretty scary, for no particular reason.
    I very quickly got out and ran along Blackhorse ave instead!

In never ceases to amaze me the number of people in there running with no high viz/lights and on their own!:eek:

whelzer wrote: »

In never ceases to amaze me the number of people in there running with no high viz/lights and on their own!:eek:

Maybe one is safer from the murderers and rapists by not being seen at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

menoscemo wrote: »
    I love running round dark empty parks with a headlamp. Have no issue doing it in Tymon.

+1 I do a good chunk of my winter running in Shanganagh at night with the head torch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Feck no. Stay out of Dublin parks when its dark. Some very dodgy individuals hang around parks at night. Memo has just admitted to it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I wouldn't myself. You could use the seafront in clontarf? Not a million miles away. Open to correction on this but I think some of the car parks on the seafront are free after a certain time. Alternatively you could park just on any of the residential roads just off the seafront. It's well lit up and in the evenings there's still lots of walkers, runners etc. Nice and flat and uninterrupted so good for sessions. There can be a wind to contend with though! Then if it gets too quiet you could move to the footpath alongside the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Feck no. Stay out of Dublin parks when its dark. Some very dodgy individuals hang around parks at night. Memo has just admitted to it:pac:

I think the injunction has been lifted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    +1 I do a good chunk of my winter running in Shanganagh at night with the head torch.

Unfortunately think it's very different for a lone female. I love running in the dark too but would stick to well lot routes with passing traffic (as a female)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Sure no one would bother a nordy in the dark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Quick question lads, ive run 2 HM before and my best time is 1:54 with no plan.
    Is this any good http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program and how much improvement would you expect if you follow a plan? id be hoping for 1:49:xx if I followed one, reasonable?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nolars wrote: »
    Quick question lads, ive run 2 HM before and my best time is 1:54 with no plan.
    Is this any good http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program and how much improvement would you expect if you follow a plan? id be hoping for 1:49:xx if I followed one, reasonable?
    Thanks

What's your number of runs, weekly mileage and long run distance at present?

That says it's an intermediate plan but in reality it's a beginner plan, starting with a long run of 5 miles and never going as far as 13 before the race. If you are already doing more than is prescribed in week 1 then it'd be a step back to follow that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

What's your number of runs, weekly mileage and long run distance at present?

That says it's an intermediate plan but in reality it's a beginner plan, starting with a long run of 5 miles and never going as far as 13 before the race. If you are already doing more than is prescribed in week 1 then it'd be a step back to follow that plan.

Nothing since Dec 6th :D Got injured in the waterford Half. Looking at the wexford Half now april 26th. Only running really since last summer, but looking to give a plan a shot. Cheers for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Going back to the running at night thing, it's a wider point, but it's undoubtedly true that the fewer people that use parks at night, the more dangerous they become. The biggest deterrent to any ne'er-do-well in a park at night is loads of people, walking, running, whatever. That said, I appreciate that some people, especially women, don't fancy being guinea pigs in this ongoing social experiment. But I'm all for reclaiming the parks at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Actually I don't know why parks aren't open at night....... Lights on and open to anyone-

I sometimes run in Tymon- the main park is closed but the GAA clubs have entry and exit points
    Bushy is also accessible as you go straight in off the footpath....

On a risk profile basis I reckon runners are low down..... who would you attack- someone that's fit, will likely run away and raise the alarm and potentially kick your ass or a walker.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Actually I don't know why parks aren't open at night....... Lights on and open to anyone-

I sometimes run in Tymon- the main park is closed but the GAA clubs have entry and exit points
    Bushy is also accessible as you go straight in off the footpath....

On a risk profile basis I reckon runners are low down..... who would you attack- someone that's fit, will likely run away and raise the alarm and potentially kick your ass or a walker.....?

That's all very well Yeats, but for a woman it doesn't make up for the danger. Bump into a runner and they'd probably hit the ground 9 times out of 10....... For me, I don't really care, unless it was lads shooting up or a big group gatting, but for women it's a different situation. Fella on his own........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Unless a runner gets knocked down, as someone said, they will outrun virtually anyone. We've all seen Marathon Man. Plus runners are less likely to be carrying valuables, and might just be hard as nails to boot. The thing that worries me most is passing groups of young fellas and wondering if a stone will be hurled at me. It has happened.

davedanon wrote: »
    Unless a runner gets knocked down, as someone said, they will outrun virtually anyone. We've all seen Marathon Man. Plus runners are less likely to be carrying valuables, and might just be hard as nails to boot. The thing that worries me most is passing groups of young fellas and wondering if a stone will be hurled at me. It has happened.

The thing that worries me most is getting raped.
    There is such a thing as a fit rapist who works out and runs.

The thing that worries me most is getting raped.
    There is such a thing as a fit rapist who works out and runs.

If somebody has delusions of attacking people, there going to attack you regardless if your a runner or a weight lifter. Parks are not safe at night time for women full stop, and thats not a sexist remark before some start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm using the thread mill a lot at the gym recently . I am a fit individual and don't need to lose any weight . Is the best way to stay fit just to run at a certain speed for say 20 minutes or is high interval training better?

Advertisement