Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I'm using the thread mill a lot at the gym recently . I am a fit individual and don't need to lose any weight . Is the best way to stay fit just to run at a certain speed for say 20 minutes or is high interval training better?

Get off the treadmill and run on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm using the thread mill a lot at the gym recently . I am a fit individual and don't need to lose any weight . Is the best way to stay fit just to run at a certain speed for say 20 minutes or is high interval training better?

What do you want to be fit to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

davedanon wrote: »
    Get off the treadmill and run on the road.

Weather isn't great at the moment . At the moment I need to use tread mill to track calories and distance .

Not sure what I want to be fit to do. Just general fitness and stamina . I suppose hit is better suited for sprinting rather than distance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Weather isn't great at the moment .

A phrase comes to mind. something about bad weather and inappropriate clothing....

Weather isn't great at the moment . At the moment I need to use tread mill to track calories and distance .

Not sure what I want to be fit to do. Just general fitness and stamina . I suppose hit is better suited for sprinting rather than distance ?

If you have a goal then I can give you a few specific tips but if there's no goal then anything that you do will be helpful. To get fitter gradually increase the volume of work that you do, have some variety (some faster and shorter, some longer and slower) and do a variety of activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Peeps this info is probably here already but I will ask anyway. I am now able to run 5k and I get some buzz out of it. Should I now try and speed up the 5k or go for more distance ? What is the perceived wisdom on this. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

6541 wrote: »
    Peeps this info is probably here already but I will ask anyway. I am now able to run 5k and I get some buzz out of it. Should I now try and speed up the 5k or go for more distance ? What is the perceived wisdom on this. Thanks in advance.

Whichever you prefer.
    But if your goal is to get faster at 5k, then you should be doing plenty of runs that are longer, at an easier pace.
    And if your goal is to go for more distance, you should still do regular shorter, faster runs/intervals.

Join a club! Its the best way to progress, whatever your goal.

It's about whatever floats your boat. Neither one is better or worse. What do you want to do? Which seems more exciting or do you think you would be happier to achieve?

Clearlier wrote: »
    It's about whatever floats your boat. Neither one is better or worse. What do you want to do? Which seems more exciting or do you think you would be happier to achieve?

I have some belly fat that I want to get rid of and I would like to do some runs maybe a half marathon. Here's to dreaming anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I have some belly fat that I want to get rid of and I would like to do some runs maybe a half marathon. Here's to dreaming anyway :)

Dream away lad, that's how a lot of us here started. I could barely do 2k without stopping and walking when I started.

• Advertisement

I did my first 5k yesterday and the only way I can describe my mood today is euphoric ! I had to share ! One last question is it recommend to run jog everyday or every second day ?

I did my first 5k yesterday and the only way I can describe my mood today is euphoric ! I had to share ! One last question is it recommend to run jog everyday or every second day ?

It depends upon how you fit you are at the moment! The basic premise is that you progressively increase your training load as the body adapts to the stress placed on it and comes back stronger.

You best option is to search for a training plan that you can manage and move on from there. If you give us some details of how often and how long/far you're running we can probably offer a few suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was in your position start of last year, best thing I ever did was sign up to a race to get me focused. You need a goal before arranging your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Operation Transformation.

Whatever you think about the concept of such a show, it does have it's good points in my opinion. I do have one question about training overweight people. As a former overweight/unhealthy/unfit 17+ stone man I can empathise with the difficulty in getting fit and beginning the journey to healthy living. I noticed on the show last night that they were greeting an overweight man (22 stone) out running on his first scheduled training session. I advise/coach one or two runners and this would be something I would never get such an individual to do. Surely the stress on body is too great for a person in that position.

In my view a far more conservative approach is required.

Whatever you think about the concept of such a show, it does have it's good points in my opinion. I do have one question about training overweight people. As a former overweight/unhealthy/unfit 17+ stone man I can empathise with the difficulty in getting fit and beginning the journey to healthy living. I noticed on the show last night that they were greeting an overweight man (22 stone) out running on his first scheduled training session. I advise/coach one or two runners and this would be something I would never get such an individual to do. Surely the stress on body is too great for a person in that position.

When I say belly Fat, I mean a pudgy belly, I am 11 and 1/2 stone and partake in Kayaking and Krav Maga :) !

When I say belly Fat, I mean a pudgy belly, I am 11 and 1/2 stone and partake in Kayaking and Krav Maga :) !

:)

That wasn't directed at you! Just a comment on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

:)
    Just a comment on the show.
    best bit of the show was wen one of dem was complaining bout how tuff it was organising breakfast as she poured out a couple of weetabixs,but good luck to them anyway

ultraman1 wrote: »
    best bit of the show was wen one of dem was complaining bout how tuff it was organising breakfast as she poured out a couple of weetabixs,but good luck to them anyway

Haha, noticed that!

That's my usual breakfast in the morning. The toughest part is getting the milk/weetabix ratio just right....people often underestimate the difficulty in a making such a complex breakfast :pac:.

-Not enough milk? Disaster. Go back to bed.
    -Too much milk? A wet mess.

Tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Haha, noticed that!

That's my usual breakfast in the morning. The toughest part is getting the milk/weetabix ratio just right....people often underestimate the difficulty in a making such a complex breakfast :pac:.

Tough!

I had a friend once who had the same difficulty with gin & tonic - he used about 2/3 of a bottle of tonic to every gin and his main worry was getting the 'stock up' right at the end of the night so as not to waste any tonic (think that was the northern protestant coming out in him) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Haha, noticed that!

Tough!

If in doubt, always underestimate. Nothing worse than milky Weetabix. Throw it in the microwave and then add some chopped banana and honey. Now you are in breakfast heaven, my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd argue that swimming or cycling would be far more suitable options for someone >20 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I would say the best way to get rid of belly fat would be resistance training more than running or any other form of cardio. Well distance running anyway, short intervals like sprints will help build muscle but distance running will just burn it off. The more muscle mass you have the higher your metabolic rate will be. I know a lot of runners who are "Skinny fat". They look thin enough but what they have is flabby and if they had a dexa scan done their % body fat would be high. So cardio on its own wont get rid of a belly, you'd lose weight for sure, but you'd also lose muscle mass. Best approach to reduce bodyfat is a combination of resistance training and cardio.
    Actually now that I think of it, best way to get rid of belly fat is your diet. Its 80% diet(others would argue its 90% diet)so if your diet is poor you'd still have high % body fat even if you ran and did weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How come some people can run on the frost and ice without slipping whereas I slip on even a hint of it? Are they wearing special shoes with spikes or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ososlo wrote: »
    How come some people can run on the frost and ice without slipping whereas I slip on even a hint of it? Are they wearing special shoes with spikes or something?
    More likely their running form makes it easier for them. If your foot is landing directly below you, and almost all of the initial contact force is pressing downwards, you're much less likely to slip. If your foot still has forward momentum when it hits the ground (or you've already started to pull it back), you're much more likely to slip

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lots of practice. Lots and lots of practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Ososlo wrote:

I've no problem on the ice.
    However.....
    Did my first treadmill run on tuesday, attempted an interval session and nearly came flying off, was so embarrassed I left before my planned session was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

tunguska wrote: »
    I would say the best way to get rid of belly fat would be resistance training more than running or any other form of cardio. Well distance running anyway, short intervals like sprints will help build muscle but distance running will just burn it off. The more muscle mass you have the higher your metabolic rate will be. I know a lot of runners who are "Skinny fat". They look thin enough but what they have is flabby and if they had a dexa scan done their % body fat would be high. So cardio on its own wont get rid of a belly, you'd lose weight for sure, but you'd also lose muscle mass. Best approach to reduce bodyfat is a combination of resistance training and cardio.
    Actually now that I think of it, best way to get rid of belly fat is your diet. Its 80% diet(others would argue its 90% diet)so if your diet is poor you'd still have high % body fat even if you ran and did weights.

Well recovered on the last paragraph :D I was about to say it's neither resistance or cardio that will shift a belly, it's all about the diet. *munches on a donut*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Slight forward lean, land with as flat a sole as possible (more ground contact), pick your line and no sudden moves.
    I'm just back from a beautiful run over Carrick and Deputy's pass, lots of heavy frost and a splattering snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Any thoughts on how the best way to get running pace back up after a very long break? I was running a 36:30 10k over a year ago and am thinking of signing up to an early summer marathon just to get me back running again and would be way off that sort of pace at the moment. I was going to start back by running every day (easy runs) and building up the mileage slowly but what do people about throwing in fartleks, steady runs a couple of times a week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ed Mc wrote: »
    I've no problem on the ice.
    However.....
    Did my first treadmill run on tuesday, attempted an interval session and nearly came flying off, was so embarrassed I left before my planned session was over.

ha ha reminds me of the one and only time I ever ran on one.
    I was geting fitted for my first pair of runners in Runways. I'd never run a step in my life before (ground or treadmill). He puts me up on the machine. I just couldn't run on it. Don't know why. I fell off it every time I tried to run on it. They had to do other tests instead to check my gait. First time they'd seen the like. Morto!!!!:o

Advertisement