Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I'm wondering about running shoe shops. I'm training for my first marathon so I want to make sure I've the right footwear. I've heard of Amphibian King in Galway and I know some Elverys stores look to have a decent set up. Is there any place people here can recommend? I live in Sligo but I travel a fair bit so distance isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

6781 wrote: »
    I'm wondering about running shoe shops. I'm training for my first marathon so I want to make sure I've the right footwear. I've heard of Amphibian King in Galway and I know some Elverys stores look to have a decent set up. Is there any place people here can recommend? I live in Sligo but I travel a fair bit so distance isn't a problem.
    I go to the Amphibian King in Bray, really helpful, know their stuff and generally don't let you out the door with a purchase you're not 100% happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I go to the Amphibian King in Bray, really helpful, know their stuff and generally don't let you out the door with a purchase you're not 100% happy with.

+1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Someone from the club mentioned a masters relay in Dublin and was trying to sign me up -format is 2 x 1miles and 1 x 2 miles I think. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Sounds like something that I would like to try but don't want to be completely embarrassed if the standard is really high, so would like to suss it out before I commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Someone from the club mentioned a masters relay in Dublin and was trying to sign me up -format is 2 x 1miles and 1 x 2 miles I think. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Sounds like something that I would like to try but don't want to be completely embarrassed if the standard is really high, so would like to suss it out before I commit.

National Road Relays, around the 18th/19th I think? in Raheny on a slightly longer than 1 mile loop

Probably best race of the year bar none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Road relays in Raheny - really great event with a brilliant atmosphere. Senior and master races, with the usual range of abilities, particularly in the masters' races. The senior races are fantastic to watch too.

Results from last year are available on the AAI website: http://www.athleticsireland.ie/competition/results/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Its the national road relays in Raheny, I presume

here's last year's Masters Men results
    winning team ran the 1,2,1 in under 20 minutes, the last of the O35 teams ran in just over 25
    The slowest mile legs are around 6 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah, agree with all the above, fantastic race, great atmosphere, and personally as a 5.40 miler or thereabouts never feel like I don't belong or that anyone is looking down on you. also getting to watch the top athletes race the **** out of each other is a great bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

That sounds like the one thanks a million for all the responses and the info. I haven't a clue as to what I could run a mile at - mcmillan says 5:20 based on my 5k PB and the other miler would be of a similar level to me over 5k.

Think I might throw my hat in the ring for this so! Sorry if it's a silly question but does this work like a track relay with the baton changes etc. (it's never happened me but I'm always scared that I will drop the baton or forget to release it on the changovers :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

That sounds like the one thanks a million for all the responses and the info. I haven't a clue as to what I could run a mile at - mcmillan says 5:20 based on my 5k PB and the other miler would be of a similar level to me over 5k.

Think I might throw my hat in the ring for this so! Sorry if it's a silly question but does this work like a track relay with the baton changes etc. (it's never happened me but I'm always scared that I will drop the baton or forget to release it on the changovers :o)

No baton, just a hand slap just moderate the enthusiasm that first 200m people end up going out like a train to catch the person ahead and it gets fairly lonely at about 800-1000m in :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

ECOLII wrote: »
    No baton, just a hand slap just moderate the enthusiasm that first 200m people end up going out like a train to catch the person ahead and it gets fairly lonely at about 800-1000m in :P

Yeah, once you get to that first corner, a mile suddenly seems like a loooooong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just do it. Fantastic race, and an opportunity not to be missed. As ecolii suggested, try not to go out like the clappers (as you'll end up blowing up as soon as you get out of sight, around the first corner). There's a wide variety of standards, but nobody pays any heed to who is running at what pace, as everyone is just caught up in the race atmosphere (and everyone starts/stops at the same point, so it's a bit of a chaotic jumble of legs and singlets).

Would anyone know where I can buy a flotation belt for aqua jogging?

I can order one online if there are no bricks and mortar stores that sell them

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I bought the one below from Amazon.co.uk about 1.5 years ago for £14.99 - I think i saw something similar in a shop, Colgans Sports, in Naas for 40 euro approx.

Just paste this in Amazon's search line

PhysioRoom Floatation Belt -

Or you could contact Colgans in Naas and see if they still have them to answer your question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

This question is for those of you that race with a heart rate monitor on.

What would your average heart rate be as a percentage of max hr for a 10k race when trying for a pb?

Mine was 89% today and I was just wondering if I should have pushed a bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Jack Daniel's training table says about 91%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

But do not pace yourself off a HR monitor in a race. Effort should always come by feel. Experience helps in that regards obviously, but you get that quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

pointer28 wrote: »

Hi pointer
    Any links to that table

Ok I was a bit below which I probably suspected as for the most part I felt fairly ok.
    But do not pace yourself off a HR monitor in a race. Effort should always come by feel. Experience helps in that regards obviously, but you get that quite quickly.

This was my second 10K, my first was last July. I have been using the hr monitor for the last few months in training but I honestly had no Idea what pace I should go at today so in the end I decided to run in the high end of hr zone 4.

I will admit I did ease of a touch on an uphill section in the third km when I went into zone 5 but after that I unlocked the zone and went by feel.

thanks guys, I know what I need to do the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi pointer
    Any links to that table

This is the one I use:

http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

Scroll down the page and there's a download button for the .xls file

• Advertisement

If anyone is willing I'd love to know your personal percentage for the 10K. Has anyone gone much above 91%?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Brusna wrote: »
    If anyone is willing I'd love to know your personal percentage for the 10K. Has anyone gone much above 91%?

How did you calculate your max heart rate?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    How did you calculate your max heart rate?

I got it at the end of a parkrun a few weeks ago. I'm Fairly sure it's accurate as there was a steady rise and then leveled out for the last minute or so. I had to sit down for a few minutes after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I see a lot of people mention the two feet off the ground when running. Does that come with speed or is it a technique you practise in training that helps with speed?

I see a lot of people mention the two feet off the ground when running. Does that come with speed or is it a technique you practise in training that helps with speed?

If you are running, then at some points you will have two feet off the ground. That's the difference between running and walking. But it isn't always captured in race photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

RayCun wrote: »
    If you are running, then at some points you will have two feet off the ground. That's the difference between running and walking. But it isn't always captured in race photos.

Ohhh.:o I thought there was an art to it because I've seen posts of pics and comments following them complimenting the two feet off the ground :o

Ohhh.:o I thought there was an art to it because I've seen posts of pics and comments following them complimenting the two feet off the ground :o

you'll spend more time in the air as you get faster, so I suppose the chances of a photo like that improve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I read an article about the NY Marathon winner a few years back; it said at that level his feet were in contact with the ground only 25% of the race. So you could say he was 'flying' three quarters of the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

RayCun wrote: »
    you'll spend more time in the air as you get faster, so I suppose the chances of a photo like that improve

chuckling at this... any photos I've seen of myself running I'm firmly rooted to the ground :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Any recommendations for a good session 12 days before a 10 mile race in the middle of marathon training? Some basic research shows a 10 mile run with 5/6 at race pace the most beneficial. Would this be the consensus?

Advertisement