Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Give ya wind, bad for your teeth, tastes sh1t.
    Belch maybe, but I don't think it makes you fart.
    Didn't know it causes teeth decay.
    Taste is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I had my longest PMP session so far this morning; 18 w/12 @PMP. I went with 4 easy then the PMP then 2 as a cool down. The PMP miles were tough and was glad to be getting close to the end of them thinking a handy 2 mile jog home would be a grand way to finish, but I couldn't have been more wrong. As soon as I slowed down my legs just wanted to give up. I ended up half walking the last 2 miles of the 'run'. Is this common and is there any reason for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

dintbo wrote: »
    I had my longest PMP session so far this morning; 18 w/12 @PMP. I went with 4 easy then the PMP then 2 as a cool down. The PMP miles were tough and was glad to be getting close to the end of them thinking a handy 2 mile jog home would be a grand way to finish, but I couldn't have been more wrong. As soon as I slowed down my legs just wanted to give up. I ended up half walking the last 2 miles of the 'run'. Is this common and is there any reason for it?

It's hard to say. It sounds as though the PMP was a bit too tough for you, but in any case I wouldn't worry about it. If you're tired, just slow down. Simple! Without knowing more about your training schedule/times etc it's hard to be more specific. Yesterday I had a fairly good race in the GIR 10k, managing 4.05 kms, and this morning's 15 miler ended up at 9 minute mile pace, 8.45 overall. It was the best I could do, but that's fine, the miles got done and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I think you could be right. I didn't really adjust my PMP to take the wind into account, and boy was it windy. What struck me as odd today was I was tired but no more tired than you'd expect until I slowed, then it became incredibly difficult almost instantly! I've just finished filling in my own log and realised this has been my highest milage week ever so that could be part of the issue as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

Attempted a 20 miler today,managed to do just over 19 and could really feel it in my legs towards the end.I was doing it with the Belfast marathon in mind,haven't done any specific marathon training at all,just a 14 miler last week (was supposed to be 18) and that long run today,up to that I was doing 30 miles a week through the winter just to keep ticking over,I've done no speed work whatsoever.
    Would I be mad to enter Belfast,I want do do it but I don't want the last 6 miles to be a horror show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'd say yes, if you're having difficulty covering 20 miles three weeks before a marathon, it's not going to be a very enjoyable day. What's the rush - plenty of other options later in the year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 21 last week after seeing them on the bargain alerts forum, didn't realise they were a stability style shoe. Should I return them and get a neutral shoe(aph king checked before) or if they're comfy just keep them? They'll be delivered in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Bought a pair of Asics Gel Kayano 21 last week after seeing them on the bargain alerts forum, didn't realise they were a stability style shoe. Should I return them and get a neutral shoe(aph king checked before) or if they're comfy just keep them? They'll be delivered in a day or two.

If you are a neutral runner, the Kayano is definitely not the right shoe for you, it's suited to a heavily over-pronator. I ran in them myself before, ended up with lower back issues, it was only when my physio looked at them, and said they were not suitable at all for me, so I went for gait analysis, and was recommended the correct shoe. I'd say send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

okay thanks for reply RubyK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

ooter wrote: »
    Attempted a 20 miler today,managed to do just over 19 and could really feel it in my legs towards the end.I was doing it with the Belfast marathon in mind,haven't done any specific marathon training at all,just a 14 miler last week (was supposed to be 18) and that long run today,up to that I was doing 30 miles a week through the winter just to keep ticking over,I've done no speed work whatsoever.
    Would I be mad to enter Belfast,I want do do it but I don't want the last 6 miles to be a horror show?

I think you're risking injury, why not target Dublin with specific training in October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

Wottle wrote: »
    I think you're risking injury, why not target Dublin with specific training in October?

Yeah I'm definitely going to do Dublin,that was always in the plan, it's just the last few weeks I've had Belfast in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Anyone have any idea what's happening on the seafront in clontarf this morning? Saw loads of people out running this morning carrying sports drinks and at the end of the coast there was a drinks stand for them and a small crew. Still there now. Few of the runners were wearing 50k t-shirts from previous races, others were taking gels and others had water packs. Looked like they were all in it for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what's happening on the seafront in clontarf this morning? Saw loads of people out running this morning carrying sports drinks and at the end of the coast there was a drinks stand for them and a small crew. Still there now. Few of the runners were wearing 50k t-shirts from previous races, others were taking gels and others had water packs. Looked like they were all in it for the long haul.

Sound like one of the East of Ireland marathons Laura.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sound like one of the East of Ireland marathons Laura.

TbL

It was definitely this. 2 Laps of the clontarf half course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Thanks guys. Two laps of that course, on the beach, with the wind out there this morning. Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

What would be the best thing to do with shoes that have gone a little dead? I've been wearing a pair of Adidas bostons for all my races and for my last few LSR's. They only have about 300 miles on them and they just don't seem to have the same level of responsiveness they had 100 miles ago. Is it normal or is there something I can do to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Id say the are passed it. I usually "retire"my main shoes early and keep them for shorter stuff and as backups before they completely die
    JohnDozer wrote: »
    What would be the best thing to do with shoes that have gone a little dead? I've been wearing a pair of Adidas bostons for all my races and for my last few LSR's. They only have about 300 miles on them and they just don't seem to have the same level of responsiveness they had 100 miles ago. Is it normal or is there something I can do to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

300 miles? Are you particularly hard on shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

JohnDozer wrote: »

Do you rotate your shoes, best to have 2+ on the go, this lets the mid sole recover and extends the life.
    Once my shoes feel dead they get put out to pasture (grass and trails).

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Don't think I'm that hard on shoes generally. Normally would get 500+ miles from any pair I've had, across a few different brands. Would be a little heavier than most at 84kg so that may be having an impact, although I still would expect to get more than 300 miles from them. I do rotate well enough, have 4 pairs on the go at present, with use fairly evenly spread across all pairs. So from the sounds of it, there's no magic regenerating trick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Question about pacing. I'm using Pfitzinger's new book for 5km to 1/2 marathon distances (Faster Road Racing). A lot of the concepts in P&D's Marathon books come through in this book.

So the book gives guidance to the type of pace to do for general aerobic and endurance runs. It also gives guidance to the type of HR the runs should be at. So for my endurance runs, my pace should be from 8m06 to 7m18s. My HR should be 136-155. I normally based my run on the HR aspect so my runs are based on efforts as such, rather than on conditions which may be favourable or disfavourable (wind, hills, freshness, etc). However my runs, based on HR guidance, tend to be quicker.

What do people reckon? Should I continue to use HR as a guidance or should I put more focus on the pace I'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Question about pacing. I'm using Pfitzinger's new book for 5km to 1/2 marathon distances (Faster Road Racing). A lot of the concepts in P&D's Marathon books come through in this book.

So the book gives guidance to the type of pace to do for general aerobic and endurance runs. It also gives guidance to the type of HR the runs should be at. So for my endurance runs, my pace should be from 8m06 to 7m18s. My HR should be 136-155. I normally based my run on the HR aspect so my runs are based on efforts as such, rather than on conditions which may be favourable or disfavourable (wind, hills, freshness, etc). However my runs, based on HR guidance, tend to be quicker.

What do people reckon? Should I continue to use HR as a guidance or should I put more focus on the pace I'm running.

I'm in the same boat, started running by HRR this year but my LSR according to HR is up around my PMP (I have an issue with stamina - Half PB of 1:40 and marathon PB of 4:10). I was doing LSR at 9:40-10:00 but to keep in range need to be around 8:50-9:10, not sure which to follow, splitting the differnece at the moment and going with 9:30mm

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

I following a plan from the same book, I've wondered the same, but generally do is run the aerobic runs by HR and the endurance runs by pace, I'm the opposite to you in that I find that my HR is at the top end towards the end of the run. I do think of all the sessions in the plan the endurance runs have given me the most benefit.

Which plan are you following?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think there's no point in using HR as guidance unless you know what your HR ranges are. There's a lot of variation from person to person, and the 20bpm range P&D give is so wide to be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Why the extra 10m in the 110m hurdles for men?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Why the extra 10m in the 110m hurdles for men?

from http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_110m_hurdles_for_men_and_not_100m:
    Because the hurdles for men are set at different distances from the starting line than for women. For example: The mens hurdles start at the blue line, so the womens would start about 2 inches away at the yellow line.

Additionally, elite men's stride length would not allow them to hurdle at the distance that womens hurdles are set at; it's simply too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

RayCun wrote: »
    I think there's no point in using HR as guidance unless you know what your HR ranges are. There's a lot of variation from person to person, and the 20bpm range P&D give is so wide to be useless.

What the P&D book says is start at the lower end and finish at the higher end. Any suggestion to how I find what my HR ranges are? And how I know which ones apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm currently training for the Cork City Marathon in a few weeks time, but would also like to run Dublin this year. Cork will be my first marathon. My question is once Cork is finished and I have recovered sufficiently, do I start from scratch again training wise, or should my long runs be a bit longer than normal at the start of the training plan. I'm inclined towards starting from scratch for the purposes of recovery. Any advice would be appreciated, and apologies if a similar question has been asked before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm currently training for the Cork City Marathon in a few weeks time, but would also like to run Dublin this year. Cork will be my first marathon. My question is once Cork is finished and I have recovered sufficiently, do I start from scratch again training wise, or should my long runs be a bit longer than normal at the start of the training plan. I'm inclined towards starting from scratch for the purposes of recovery. Any advice would be appreciated, and apologies if a similar question has been asked before.

My advice would be to re-assess how you feel after the 1st marathon. The typical thing to do after a marathon would be to try and re-establish your speed before starting the next marathon cycle. That means a 5-10k cycle for 8 weeks or so before starting a 10-12 week marathon plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

What would be good alternatives to gels to take on my long runs ? I have asthma and any gel I've tried triggers it badly for about 15 mins after I take it.

Advertisement