Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ron Scott wrote: »
    What would be good alternatives to gels to take on my long runs ? I have asthma and any gel I've tried triggers it badly for about 15 mins after I take it.

The like of High5 come in a mixture like a juice. You buy a big tub and mix up the powder with water. It means carrying a water bottle, but it is very effective, as you can swallow a mouthful after each mile (which is what I do) as early or late as you like, without faffing around with the gel sachets.

There's also a school of thought that holds that you should try and do long runs without any gels or the like, as it trains the body to adapt, so that when its carb stores get depleted it starts to burn fat. This will help with endurance when it comes to marathon time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

What would be good alternatives to gels to take on my long runs ? I have asthma and any gel I've tried triggers it badly for about 15 mins after I take it.
    Friut cake or tea brack with bit of butter on it

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Friut cake or tea brack with bit of butter on it

Bit awkward carrying that around though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not had any issues with asthma when taking gels, but the act of trying to swallow them whilst running and remembering to breathe at the same time can be tricky. Is it just more practice needed of taking them whilst on the run?

Try taking one when not running and see if it effects you at all.

I could see how the taking a big gulp of air before then downing the gel might trigger a bit of stress with the breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Leaving to one side the debate about fat burning if you're looking to take some energy on board then anything that's easy to digest should be fine. Sweets such as jelly babies are popular, you could try glucose tablets or I have a friend who uses mini-flapjacks. Experiment with different options and observe how your body reacts to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Blisters are something I've never experienced running but the last long run I did, a blister started to develop. Lucky it was at the end of my run but does anyone have tips to prevent them and what to do if I get one during running. I do put powder on my feet before I run, is that a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Thanks for all the answers to my one folks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What the P&D book says is start at the lower end and finish at the higher end. Any suggestion to how I find what my HR ranges are? And how I know which ones apply?

you can get your HR tested, there are a few places around that will do it.
    Or there are some ways to determine your max HR using a stress test, for example and work out your zones from that

Just for example, my slowest training pace is 145 to 155 HR, that's a really easy run. If I started running at 136HR and finished my run at 155 I would be crawling along. But that's just me, my max HR is quite high. Someone else could follow that progression and it would be perfect, someone else again might do it and it would be too hard for an endurance run.

If you don't know what the HR figures mean for you, you can't use them. It would be like using a Garmin that give you your pace in furlongs/hour, the numbers won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So the book gives guidance to the type of pace to do for general aerobic and endurance runs. It also gives guidance to the type of HR the runs should be at. So for my endurance runs, my pace should be from 8m06 to 7m18s. My HR should be 136-155.
    I could never get my HR to correspond to P&D's suggested figures, so after trying a couple of times, I focused on target paces alone and disregarded HR targets. The thing about HR targets is they're pretty specific to the individual, while pace is absolute (relative to your target/current PB). In both cases (HR and pace targets), a common sense approach is needed - for example, conditions may not be favourable (heat, wind, etc), or you may not be in peak health, so you need a common sense approach to your workout targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have asthma too, but it has never been triggered by gels (and of late, I seem to have largely 'grown out' of the asthma). Robin's suggestion is a good one. Try a gel while not running and evaluate the impact. It may be an allergy to specific ingredients, so if that also triggers a response, try a different type of gel while not running and see if that also triggers a response. There are other types of gel, like for example HoneyStingers, for which the base ingredient is honey, so there may be alternatives that work better for you. You could also try Jelly beans. And of course, not taking any gels is also a viable option. Do you get the same response when taking sports drinks? Could it be psychosomatic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

do you know what's triggering it? Like is it a colour in the gel or a particular flavour? Can you combat it by taking your inhaler before you go out for a run?

I'd ask your GP for advice.

(I have asthma too, and I'd go with medical advice rather than advice on boards for anything to do with it -- the last think you want is a bad asthma attack when you're out running and miles from anywhere.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jamesbere wrote: »
    Blisters are something I've never experienced running but the last long run I did, a blister started to develop. Lucky it was at the end of my run but does anyone have tips to prevent them and what to do if I get one during running. I do put powder on my feet before I run, is that a good idea?

Try something like BodyGlide on the potential hotspots on your feet beforehand. Or you could stick a Compeed on in advance as a preventative measure also.

Compeed will also sort you out as far as being able to run on that current blister.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

jamesbere wrote: »

Typically if you getting blisters you need to look at your shoes and / or socks as a potential cause.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Typically if you getting blisters you need to look at your shoes and / or socks as a potential cause.

Absolutely. Unless you're prone to them, it's usually one or the other. Or even a particular combination. I remember once wearing this really cool pair of green Nike ankle socks with a particular pair of shoes. Neither had given me any trouble before, and I don't suffer much with blisters. By the time I finished I had a blister the size of a 2 euro coin on the arch of my foot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've been thinking about my upcoming marathon training cycle for a while.

I've recently read the P&D book and was thinking about following the plan in there.

How would people recommend incorporating that plan with doing the normal club sessions?

Is it a case of either follow the plan or do the the club sessions but not both?

For example the first 8 weeks of the plan is based around endurance and LT runs. After that they introduce some sessions at 5K pace once per week. Would it be OK to substitute in the club speed session for these weeks even though they maybe be slightly different?

The other option would be to completely follow what the club are doing but given that Berlin is happening about a month before Dublin I'd fear that there wouldn't be enough marathon specific stuff done in the club in time for Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

adrian522 wrote: »
    How would people recommend incorporating that plan with doing the normal club sessions?

I swapped whatever 'faster' run there was in a week for the club session, and didn't worry about mixing up long intervals and short intervals and tempos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've recently read the P&D book and was thinking about following the plan in there.

Is it a case of either follow the plan or do the the club sessions but not both?

For example the first 8 weeks of the plan is based around endurance and LT runs. After that they introduce some sessions at 5K pace once per week. Would it be OK to substitute in the club speed session for these weeks even though they maybe be slightly different?

The other option would be to completely follow what the club are doing but given that Berlin is happening about a month before Dublin I'd fear that there wouldn't be enough marathon specific stuff done in the club in time for Berlin.

Do your club have regular longish tempo runs?
    I was lucky enough that my club do and it has been nice to be able to do my tempo runs with the club. Some of the others might have been only doing 3-4 miles but even having company for half my tempo has been good. Ditto using club tempo runs to break up half of your MP miles.

As for 5k stuff, yeah I reckon it is fine to do the club intervals once it kicks in on P&D even if the intervals are slightly different. It will still train the same sytem.

RayCun wrote: »
    I swapped whatever 'faster' run there was in a week for the club session, and didn't worry about mixing up long intervals and short intervals and tempos

I did something similar. On Tuesday we do tempos, so I did them, but I gradually extended mine to 8 miles, rather than 6 as per the club, and maintained the same pace every week. On Thursdays it's track, so I did that, but stuck to 800s the whole time, again maintaining pace but increasing reps. On Sundays I alternated LSRs with MP runs, broadly along P&D lines. I didn't bother with the strides at all. Has it worked? I'll tell you on Monday....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll have a chat with the coaches about it when I can. I haven't noticed a whole lot of longer tempo runs, occasionally but usually it is either speed session or a fartlek type session.

I know there are a few in the club doing Berlin also, so might be able to organise something with them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll have a chat with the coaches about it when I can. I haven't noticed a whole lot of longer tempo runs, occasionally but usually it is either speed session or a fartlek type session.

I know there are a few in the club doing Berlin also, so might be able to organise something with them too.

Even if it's just joining some of the faster lads for your tempos/mp runs it might work. Your tempo might be their easy pace....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Congratulations on reading the book - I've had it for over a year, it's moved beside the bed for the last 5/6 weeks but I've yet to read it - think I'm afraid of it :rolleyes:

tonight ................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I did just recently buy a new pair of running socks, might be them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was a bit of an idiot eating a small snack before I ran then complaining about stitches and general sluggishness, I thought you had to have a banana or piece of bread and peanut butter to prevent crashing but Ive been running on an empty stomach since I started again in February and Im losing a pound or 2 a week and running further, can run (slowly) from sea level to the top of Bray Head without stopping now aswell on the route up by the golf course, I think the uphill running was a big factor in my improvement after a crappy last few months to be honest, running on the flat is a bit of a relief now compared to the torture it was before Christmas, thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

The club sessions should be progressive from week to week, so you could easily swap them in as you see fit.

As others have said you could also easily tweak the sessions slightly to suit your Berlin schedule.

One thing I would say. In marathon training its particularly important not to flog yourself in these sessions.

Running them a gear slower than you normally would allows you to stay relaxed and in control. If youre relaxed in the last few reps, then youre training yourself to run smoothly and fast when youre tired.

It actually makes the session more enjoyable.

Another benefit is that the session doesn't take as much out of you and thus your other weekly training. This is important because you need to keep the weekly volume high (for you).

Slow gradual controlled progression is the name of the game for marathon training, and that includes most sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm going to run the Women's Mini Marathon, and I was thinking of doing a training plan. I've got six weeks from the beginning of this week, so I just jumped into week 3 of an 8 week plan from my book.

However, I'll be away for 10 days in the middle and won't be able to stick to a plan or do consistent running. So my question is: should I have jumped into week 4 of an 8 week plan and (so just leaving out those ten days and acting as if I have 4 weeks to the race), or is it ok to do the first 3 weeks of my 6-week plan, let myself off the leash and do whatever for 10 days, and then finish up with the last week and a half of the plan.

Sorry, this is an oddly-worded query.

(the plan is v similar to my usual running, actual - basically speed, hill, LSR + 2/3 days easy running or 1/2 days easy + 5krace)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm going to run the Women's Mini Marathon, and I was thinking of doing a training plan. I've got six weeks from the beginning of this week, so I just jumped into week 3 of an 8 week plan from my book.

However, I'll be away for 10 days in the middle and won't be able to stick to a plan or do consistent running. So my question is: should I have jumped into week 4 of an 8 week plan and (so just leaving out those ten days and acting as if I have 4 weeks to the race), or is it ok to do the first 3 weeks of my 6-week plan, let myself off the leash and do whatever for 10 days, and then finish up with the last week and a half of the plan.

Sorry, this is an oddly-worded query.

(the plan is v similar to my usual running, actual - basically speed, hill, LSR + 2/3 days easy running or 1/2 days easy + 5krace)

That sounds fine Helen Anne. The last weeks before the race are the important ones. Id have a few maintenance mini runs in reserve for the 10 day period. Maybe one leg speed and one LT type workout (you dont have to do a lot, its just so you dont lose it).

Something like 2-3 x (6 x 35s strides) with 70s recovery/or jogback will keep your leg speed. If you can manage an LT run too that would keep you ticking over and bridge the gap between the start and finish of schedule.

A useful holiday LT session might be. 3 mins LT (1 hour race pace) @ recovery 2 mins jog. Do reps until your quads get tired. This session wont feel hard, you shouldnt be breathing hard. You can run all the reps controlled. After a good few 8-10 maybe, youll feel a dull ache in your quads. Run one or two more keeping the breathing easy. Will make your legs strong for the after holiday training.

Its easy and enjoyable so good for a holiday. Also you wont be tired for rest of the day. Your legs will be a little, but you wont generally tired, again handy for the hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Is anybody else finding it impossible to install the latest updates onto the watch ever since the release of the new version of Garmin Express a few weeks ago? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Is anybody else finding it impossible to install the latest updates onto the watch ever since the release of the new version of Garmin Express a few weeks ago? :mad:

Which watch? - no issues for me, hook it up, express tells me it's got an update, I let it do it's thing, once uploaded remove the watch from the cradle and the update is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Which watch? - no issues for me, hook it up, express tells me it's got an update, I let it do it's thing, once uploaded remove the watch from the cradle and the update is installed.

Forerunner 220

Trouble is, it tells me there's an update, and I try "let it do it's thing", but it doesn't! It fails with a "There was an error installing the update" message. :rolleyes:

There was never a problem before this version of Garmin Express.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Forerunner 220

Trouble is, it tells me there's an update, and I try "let it do it's thing", but it doesn't! It fails with a "There was an error installing the update" message. :rolleyes:

I have the same watch and had no issues with the update.

Advertisement