Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Maybe try a different USB port and/or uninstalling and reinstalling express

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Tried everything. Updated to yet a newer version of Garmin Express from Version 4.0.15.0 to Version 4.0.19.0, tried different ports, nothing worked.

'til I installed it on another laptop and tried it on that...and it worked. Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Make sure you have no unfinished workout(I.e neither saved or deleted but still active) on your garmin - I couldn't upload for ages until I cleared an active workout!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'm currently in week 10 of a 12 week P&D 5k plan but I've been out of action for the past week due to a ear/throat infection. I'm on the mend but I'll be on antibiotics for the next few days. The plan calls for a second and final tune-up race this weekend and I'd planned to run the Leixlip 5k this Saturday. Having just missed a week's training, and with one tune-up race done already, I wonder if I'd be better off skipping Saturdays race and replacing it with a quality session instead? I managed to PB in my first tune-up race a couple of weeks back and I'm thinking that running a (most likely) slower time in Leixlip won't do anything for my confidence ahead of my goal race. I'm also wary of pushing myself too hard recovering from an infection and a course of antibiotics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Sandwell wrote: »
    I'm currently in week 10 of a 12 week P&D 5k plan but I've been out of action for the past week due to a ear/throat infection. I'm on the mend but I'll be on antibiotics for the next few days. The plan calls for a second and final tune-up race this weekend and I'd planned to run the Leixlip 5k this Saturday. Having just missed a week's training, and with one tune-up race done already, I wonder if I'd be better off skipping Saturdays race and replacing it with a quality session instead? I managed to PB in my first tune-up race a couple of weeks back and I'm thinking that running a (most likely) slower time in Leixlip won't do anything for my confidence ahead of my goal race. I'm also wary of pushing myself too hard recovering from an infection and a course of antibiotics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A few options:

If you need to address 5k endurance you could do the race but run the first 2k @ 10k race effort and progress the effort from there in. It will help endurance and shouldnt dint confidence as you started deliberately slowly.

For a session. you need to sharpen speed you could do a session @ race pace, or faster than race pace. How long you leave the gaps will determine how hard the session is. e.g running @ race pace with big rests (90s on 90s off) means you can run the reps relaxed, and the hit will be on your legs. (good for after an illness). Aim is to run the reps as controlled and relaxed as possible.

Another good session is 3 mins on 2 mins off. Run them relaxed (LT-10k pace). After several (8-12) your quads will feel tired. Id run a few long strides at this stage for speed endurance e.g 35s fast 70 s jog recovery.

Most people neglect muscular endurance. These will give you pretty specific muscular endurance for the race while avoiding the pressure coming on your energy systems, so lower risk after your illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Cheers demfad. Some really useful suggestions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Folks; did the Wexford Half last weekend @ 1hr49m, literally did zero training (5k the monday beforehand); is it reasonable to think with a bit of training that I could knock that time under 1hr40m for Clontarf in July (~11 weeks away)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

cson wrote: »
    Folks; did the Wexford Half last weekend @ 1hr49m, literally did zero training (5k the monday beforehand); is it reasonable to think with a bit of training that I could knock that time under 1hr40m for Clontarf in July (~11 weeks away)?

Hard to really say, but we won't have that long to find out!! You should obviously improve quite a bit if you can put in 3 or 4 days a week of half decent training. There are lots of online plans available.

If you've been doing zero running, you do run the risk of going too far/hard too soon. Be sensible, get out and do a few 8/10/12k runs to see how the legs feel. I'd take it easy for at least two weeks. If those runs are coming very easy to you, then look to up the ante.

I'll leave the structured sessions to the experts. You know, the reps/intervals/progression and all that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone have any thoughts on this routine? I was thinking of working it into the rotation (not that there's all that much in the rotation at present!)

http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/training/book-excerpt-build-your-running-body_109459?utm_medium=whats-hot

What's the longest you'd go without water, gels, nutrition of any sort? Did 26k yesterday in damp, relatively cool conditions with nought and by the end I was really looking forward to (fantasising about) a cool drink and banana. I've seen people here say it's good to push the miles out without anything to train the body I suppose.

I wouldn't do yesterday's run in warm conditions mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Itziger wrote: »
    What's the longest you'd go without water, gels, nutrition of any sort?

Would the Boston marathon two weeks ago count? I don't take gels any more and cause it was cold & wet on the day I never felt thirsty. Similar during the Limerick marathon yesterday but I did take a few swigs of water there as it was around 10C warmer.

Think my longest training run without either has been ~29 miles more by accident than design as there was no shop open in the place I'd planned to buy a bottle of water. My next possible source was only a few miles from home so I just decided to keep going.

opus wrote: »
    Would the Boston marathon two weeks ago count? I don't take gels any more and cause it was cold & wet on the day I never felt thirsty. Similar during the Limerick marathon yesterday but I did take a few swigs of water there as it was around 10C warmer.

Think my longest training run without either has been ~29 miles more by accident than design as there was no shop open in the place I'd planned to buy a bottle of water. My next possible source was only a few miles from home so I just decided to keep going.

Flippin 'ell, as they say. That would surely be relatively exceptional though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What's the longest you'd go without water, gels, nutrition of any sort? Did 26k yesterday in damp, relatively cool conditions with nought and by the end I was really looking forward to (fantasising about) a cool drink and banana. I've seen people here say it's good to push the miles out without anything to train the body I suppose.

I wouldn't do yesterday's run in warm conditions mind.

I never take anything in my training runs and that includes more or less weekly runs of about 20 miles (not right now as I'm in recovery). I make sure to drink plenty of water before I go out, but that's it. I also train on an empty stomach; I've tried eating beforehand and feel much better without.

I've done a few marathons without fueling as well, but they were training runs only. Unlike Opus I wouldn't do that when having a proper go at a marathon.

Obviously the Irish weather plays a part in that. I wouldn't do that when running through the Arizona desert!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I ran 33k in the Wings for Life event yesterday with no water or gels.
    I usually run on empty and without a drink, as I can be susceptible to getting stitches.
    Yesterday's event kicked off at 12:00, all I'd had was some basic brekkie (tea, toast, meusli) at 8:30.
    I guess it's what works for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Flippin 'ell, as they say. That would surely be relatively exceptional though.

Not exceptional at all. Just a sign of someone who knows what they are doing! I regularly do 5 -6 hour training runs with no food or drink taken during the run, and nothing beforehand.

The longest ive run without gels is 804km. The longest ive run without food would be about 5 days. Probably a 6.5 hour training run would be the longest without water.

This does all help with long distance racing. Its a big advantage not to be dependent on needing access to food and liquids during a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Enduro wrote: »
    Not exceptional at all. Just a sign of someone who knows what they are doing! I regularly do 5 -6 hour training runs with no food or drink taken during the run, and nothing beforehand.

The longest ive run without gels is 804km. The longest ive run without food would be about 5 days. Probably a 6.5 hour training run would be the longest without water.

This does all help with long distance racing. Its a big advantage not to be dependent on needing access to food and liquids during a race.

I can understand the logic of not being dependent on food or liquids in an adventure race. But lets say for example in your 5 day race without food, was there food actually available?

What I mean is, if it was available do you think your performance would have been better? I understand you've trained yourself to last that long without taking sustenance but does that mean you run to your optimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Enduro wrote: »

Seriously, you need to put an asterix beside your comments on nutrition. You are the extreme end of the spectrum and the events you do are on the extreme end of the spectrum also, so the don't apply to 99% of runners.
    As often happens in these situations it is best to look at what what works for you, if you need water or carbohydrates then take them, don't try to avoid them just because someone online might snigger at you taking a gel. Look at elite marathon runners, they all take carbohydrates on board during marathons and would obviously practice taking them in training.

Dennis Kimetto pB 2:02xx
    Enduro ? But not w/in half an hour of 2:02

Dennis Kimetto takes on carbs/ sugar during a race

IMO not eating for 5 days suggests some sort of crazy religious fast, a famine or some sort of eating disorder. Either way not particularly helpful advise to be giving runners (at any level)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I didn't see any advice given, just a statement of what works for him.

Right. Just every time nutrition comes up The Dean Karnazes of Ireland pops up, reminds us of his achievements and advocates the Darfur circa 2006 diet. I'm sorry but it isn't right to let statements bragging about not eating/ drinking water to go unchallenged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Right. Just every time nutrition comes up Enduro pops up, reminds us of his achievements and advocates the Darfur circa 2006 diet. I'm sorry but it isn't right to let statements bragging about not eating/ drinking water to go unchallenged

Thats fair enough. I would hope people just go with what works for them.
    I do my long runs more comfortably knowing I have stuff with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I think it's that the impression has been given on other threads also that people don't need or shouldn't use gels etc. PConn's advice, for me, has it spot on. It's important to know the poster's history and that this wouldn't be the norm (or recommended in most cases I would think).

(I've landed myself in the middle of this one before inadvertantly so I know that there's a diverse opinion out there)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have noticed a lot of people up in arms following the Great Limerick Run giving out about the Goody Bag and the Expo.

I wasn't particularly impressed with either to be honest but my expectations are so low for these things now that it didn't really bother me one way or the other.

For me, the Goody Bag generally comprises of a load of flyers and crap for products/shops that I will never use, some totally obscure random non-running item (got mayonaise at the DCM a few years ago iirc, a razor at the VLM in 2012 and wart cream at the weekend :D) and a few other fairly useless bits and bobs.

Ditto the Expo, overpriced tat that the vendors are trying to flog and exorbitant official race memorabilia. The VLM was a huge letdown for me in this regard.

So I guess my point is, what do people expect from goody bags/expos (?).

I'm completely apathetic about them at this stage but judging from social media commentary in relation the the GLR, not everyone feels the same as me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Have noticed a lot of people up in arms following the Great Limerick Run giving out about the Goody Bag and the Expo.

I wasn't particularly impressed with either to be honest but my expectations are so low for these things now that it didn't really bother me one way or the other.

For me, the Goody Bag generally comprises of a load of flyers and crap for products/shops that I will never use, some totally obscure random non-running item (got mayonaise at the DCM a few years ago iirc, a razor at the VLM in 2012 and wart cream at the weekend :D) and a few other fairly useless bits and bobs.

Ditto the Expo, overpriced tat that the vendors are trying to flog and exorbitant official race memorabilia. The VLM was a huge letdown for me in this regard.

I'm completely apathetic about them at this stage but judging from social media commentary in relation the the GLR, not everyone feels the same as me :confused:

I remember the day when a goody bag was good, the dublin series goody bag years ago was excellent, its now rubbish. I think to be honest, they shouldn't advertise one if its not really one.

Its not why i do a race though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I remember the day when a goody bag was good, the dublin series goody bag years ago was excellent, its now rubbish. I think to be honest, they shouldn't advertise one if its not really one.

Its not why i do a race though:rolleyes:

I'm the same, the goody bag doesn't mean much. In general I find that they are all so poor it's a nice surprise to get a good one. My expectations are low around goody bags, hence I don't get too disappointed. I really don't know where people got the idea that goody bags are going to be full of stuff worth more than the entry fee. In saying all that, the GLR one was as poor as I have gotten. I really got a sense this year that the 6 miler is the priority for them, if it is, they shouldn't bother trying to run a marathon and a half alongside it, there would still be 10,000 entries and a lot less hassle. If they want to build a good marathon, there is a few areas need to be worked on. The timing of it is good for many people and with a little more effort, could become an event people keep coming back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I always wondered too why they couldn't find an extra 0.2 miles from somewhere and made it a 10km race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Cartman78 wrote: »

Couldn't care less about them either. It's nice I suppose to get something useful like a teeshirt but it doesn't bother me at all if there's nothing. All the flyers are a waste of paper as all that stuff is online anyways.
    I'd much rather they put their efforts/resources into good organisation on the day and most importantly of all, an accurately measured course.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I always wondered too why they couldn't find an extra 0.2 miles from somewhere and made it a 10km race...

Same as that. The only logical answer I ever heard anyone come up with was something to do with under 16's being able to run it because it wasn't 10k. Still, there was lots and lots and lots of people in Limerick who ran the 10k the Sunday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Closed for cleaning...

...and we're back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Ososlo wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about them either. It's nice I suppose to get something useful like a teeshirt but it doesn't bother me at all if there's nothing. All the flyers are a waste of paper as all that stuff is online anyways.
    I'd much rather they put their efforts/resources into good organisation on the day and most importantly of all, an accurately measured course.

I still quite like getting tech t-shirts as I'm likely to use them. Occasionally I'll make use of a cotton one but most of the time they go directly into the charity bin. It doesn't help when you end up with one two sizes too small though especially when you know that once upon a time that was your size!:eek:

Advertisement