Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Howdy! Long time listener, first time poster...

I tend to get out kind of late (after 9.30 or so) which when doing long runs means I'm not in bed until after midnight. I'm finding it difficult to get to sleep until an hour or two later, which isn't great.

How late do folks run? Any wind-down tips? Or should I just give up on the late runs and start getting up at the crack of dawn? TIA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Singer wrote: »
    Howdy! Long time listener, first time poster...

I tend to get out kind of late (after 9.30 or so) which when doing long runs means I'm not in bed until after midnight. I'm finding it difficult to get to sleep until an hour or two later, which isn't great.

How late do folks run? Any wind-down tips? Or should I just give up on the late runs and start getting up at the crack of dawn? TIA!

Are you constrained thus seven days a week? Only one long run a week needed, and most do it early doors at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Blue Steel wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Once my base building cycle is finished (hopefully end of June) I need to start a program in preperation for racing later on in September and October.

I was looking into the "Faster Road Racing" book programs which are all based on a 7 days cycle. They look robust and tested plans.

Then I recently read about another approach: 9 days cycle (2 recovery days after 1 hard session). This method has been used by Meb K. and is appealing to me in theory but I don't see any detailed plans.

What do expert runners and boardsies think of this?

I use the 9/10 Day Cycle because I am a master. When I was running 3 hard over 7 days I was constantly tired,prone to injuries and not improving. Someone posted a very good link re training schedules and how they are made up and the penny dropped with me. As one of our master in chiefs once said to me
    you can only train as hard as you can recover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ger664 wrote: »
    I use the 9/10 Day Cycle because I am a master. When I was running 3 hard over 7 days I was constantly tired,prone to injuries and not improving. Someone posted a very good link re training schedules and how they are made up and the penny dropped with me. As one of our master in chiefs once said to me

Don't suppose you remember that link or thread ger? would be interested in having a read of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Orginal Post by Ecoli

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82393591

The book in question is the Mark Hardley one but the link no longer works. He has a presentation on the website which condenses that a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Blue Steel wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Once my base building cycle is finished (hopefully end of June) I need to start a program in preperation for racing later on in September and October.

I was looking into the "Faster Road Racing" book programs which are all based on a 7 days cycle. They look robust and tested plans.

Then I recently read about another approach: 9 days cycle (2 recovery days after 1 hard session). This method has been used by Meb K. and is appealing to me in theory but I don't see any detailed plans.

What do expert runners and boardsies think of this?

Here's the PDF. I do my training this way. Its best to think of it as a 3 day unit. That way you can do 9 day cycles, 12 day cycles etc.
    I often take a couple of low mileage units.
    My next training cycle is 4 high mileage units (12 days) then 2 low mileage units.
    Ger is right, its perfect for masters. I would also suggest most recreational runners would benefit from the extra recovery.

To convert a 7 day block to the 3 day unit type. Just spread the schedule out so that you have one effort day every 3 days.
    The schedule will be longer but that's no harm.

If you cant shorten your schedule youll have to cut it ofcourse.

Edit: 3 day base unit is for the sample marathon training schedule. The reasoning behind different base units is explained in early chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Just changed health insurers, now with laya, has anyone rang they're physio line service?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

doing my first 6 mile run tomorrow. i want to run the phoenix park. ive mapped it out and ill be starting a little outside of the park where im locking my bicycle, i plan on running the straight road through the zoo right until the other end near an entrance then back. it is more or less 6 miles. ill have my nike+ app in use.

my question, it seems elevated for the whole 3 miles up that long straight street, will it be so much that it will be a stupid run for me? considering it will be a downward run for the other 3 miles, it may just even itself out in terms of toughness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

MarkY91 wrote: »
    doing my first 6 mile run tomorrow. i want to run the phoenix park. ive mapped it out and ill be starting a little outside of the park where im locking my bicycle, i plan on running the straight road through the zoo right until the other end near an entrance then back. it is more or less 6 miles. ill have my nike+ app in use.

my question, it seems elevated for the whole 3 miles up that long straight street, will it be so much that it will be a stupid run for me? considering it will be a downward run for the other 3 miles, it may just even itself out in terms of toughness

You'll be fine. It's just a drag really I wouldn't call it a hill and yes, the way back towards The zoo is faster...

You'll be fine. It's just a drag really I wouldn't call it a hill and yes, the way back towards The zoo is faster...

thanks. just hard to make out the steepness on google earth. ive always wanted to do one big long stretch of a straight run so im looking forward to it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The loop around the park is also about 6 miles and much more interesting. More hills too though.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2300408

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

thanks. just hard to make out the steepness on google earth. ive always wanted to do one big long stretch of a straight run so im looking forward to it :D

It's a great place to run and as DQIMJ says, it's just a gentle drag really but you do feel the difference on the way down. Enjoy it :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    The loop around the park is also about 6 miles and much more interesting. More hills too though.

Definitely more interesting but maybe a bit tougher for a first time ??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Maybe better for next time alright. Personally I'd be bored running up and down chesterfield, you could even go up North road and back down chesterfield, wouldn't be any tougher really than the original plan.

I guess the original plan is fine for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pfft, doesn't even go down into the Glen, or down to Chapelizod Gate Lodge! What kind of a wuss loop is that?! :P

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Maybe better for next time alright. Personally I'd be bored running up and down chesterfield, you could even go up North road and back down chesterfield, wouldn't be any tougher really than the original plan.

I guess the original plan is fine for the first time.

It's all good really - it's hard to lose in the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

The trails around the back of the ordnance survey are nice at the moment, if you want to get off the tarmac. The rain over the last few days has softened them. The stretch from the knockmaroon gate to the castleknock gate is great.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6604398

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I ran my first marathon in Limerick in 4:08. Happy enough.

I stuck with the 4hr pacers until around mile 19ish when my quads packed in. Struggled through the next 5 miles but finished strong.

This is bothering me since the race as my quads have never affected me before on any long runs.

Is it more a case of all those miles at race pace just catching up on me. I felt comfortable otherwise and I know this is a contradiction but my legs were good in spite of my quads. Maybe they could do with some strengthening?

Anyone gone through this previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I've only done three marathons so far but in each one of them something has always hurt that never hurt before. It's all part of the fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You'll be disappointed IMO. Nicer to run a loop like the ones posted, I always try to run anywhere but on that long straight for the sake of variety and tediousness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You'll be disappointed IMO. Nicer to run a loop like the ones posted, I always try to run anywhere but on that long straight for the sake of variety and tediousness.

I love that long straight stretch!!! Never ever get bored of it. So much to see!

If you do go up the main road there are three tracks on the left hand side (not sure about the right). The one nearest the road is for cyclists, the next one in (also tarmac) is used for walking/running but there is also a third one in that is a grassy type trail - this one keeps you away from the road & is the one I like to use (just a bit of useless info really :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Ososlo wrote: »
    I love that long straight stretch!!! Never ever get bored of it. So much to see!

Yep, I always enjoy that stretch. And if the runner is trying for a 6 miler for the first time s/he would need to run on as easy a route and as good a surface as possible for running economy. Running on uneven trail for a first 6 mile run would be quite unwise and actually endanger the objective of completing the run in one go.

Well done on your progress. The wind will be on your back for the first 3 miles up tomorrow. Hold back even if you feel good. The head-wind will more than remove the advantage of the slight downhill on the way back, conserve your energy for that.

If its really quiet you could risk the cycle track, at least for the return leg. Its the best surface by far. If you do, run up the cycle track on the right hand side of the road (so you see most of the cyclists coming against you, check behind too). If you see a cyclist approaching from front or behind, just step onto the grass early.
    Best of luck.

thanks for all the input guys, i guess a 3 mile up and 3 mile back 1 long road would be a little boring, i might just venture off into the forest areas and pretend im bear grylls for a mile or two to keep it interesting haha. i usually do the same 5 mile run (terenure 5 mile route) and its getting stale to me, especially with such narrow paths!

i assume this strava website had many routes around dublin? i could make much use of such a site. i might do a run down the canal from harolds cross to the aviva and back as my next out of my own area run!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Puncher

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Apologies if I should be posting this elsewhere.

I’m working out my racing schedule for the next 12-18 months and it looks like a key race in my build up will be the Connemara ultra. This is from the website:

"You can place an item of your choice at any three of the Ultra Aid Stations. Small bags of items are accepted. Mark your own item to make it easily identifiable. These items can be handed in at the pre-race briefing. The drop boxes are then positioned at miles 5, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 29, 32, 35 and 37."

Does this mean that you can have three items that can be placed for example at , 10 – 19 – 32? Or does it mean you can have items at all of the above stations. The reason why I ask is that I hope to take a gel every 3 miles or so and it would be helpful if they were at the stations so I wouldn’t have to carry them. I get the feeling that I’m being thick and missing something. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Puncher wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Apologies if I should be posting this elsewhere.

I’m working out my racing schedule for the next 12-18 months and it looks like a key race in my build up will be the Connemara ultra. This is from the website:

"You can place an item of your choice at any three of the Ultra Aid Stations. Small bags of items are accepted. Mark your own item to make it easily identifiable. These items can be handed in at the pre-race briefing. The drop boxes are then positioned at miles 5, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 29, 32, 35 and 37."

Does this mean that you can have three items that can be placed for example at , 10 – 19 – 32? Or does it mean you can have items at all of the above stations. The reason why I ask is that I hope to take a gel every 3 miles or so and it would be helpful if they were at the stations so I wouldn’t have to carry them. I get the feeling that I’m being thick and missing something. Thanks in advance.
    u could put them in all stations,even though it says u can only put them in 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

A gel every 3 miles................. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Puncher

Itziger wrote: »
    A gel every 3 miles................. Interesting.

So I can get 50g-60g's of carb's every 60mins. I intend to take around 20g's every 20mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It means you can put 3 items into the boxes, like in your example at 10, 19, 32 (which, incidentally, is exactly where I put mine last year). However, I've never seen them checking if everyone sticks to the 3-items rule, so if you wanted to use more I suppose you would probably get away with it.

Having said that, 3 drop bags is plenty. You can still get gels and sports drink from some of the aid stations in addition to your own stuff.

Taking a gel every 3 miles is nuts. That's 12 gels :eek: I never take more than 3 beause that's when my stomach says "no more"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The only thing about putting out a pack every three miles is it would be a pain looking for them.nif you have to stop every 3 miles you will lose time and momentum.
    Why not put out 3 gels stuck to a drink every 9 miles? Then you can take a gel and a drink and carry 2 gels to your next drop.

Advertisement