Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Puncher

"It means you can put 3 items into the boxes, like in your example at 10, 19, 32 (which, incidentally, is exactly where I put mine last year). However, I've never seen them checking if everyone sticks to the 3-items rule, so if you wanted to use more I suppose you would probably get away with it."

Thanks.

"Having said that, 3 drop bags is plenty. You can still get gels and sports drink from some of the aid stations in addition to your own stuff."

I'd prefer to stick what I'll be using in training - wouldn't want any problems with a dicky tummy.

"Taking a gel every 3 miles is nuts. That's 12 gels :eek: I never take more than 3 because that's when my stomach says no."

Why is it nuts? Most top marathon runners take on 50-60g of carb's in some form every 5k or so, as do most of the top ultra guys. Max King took 18 gels during his recent world 100k win. I've found that taking Kinetica gels works fine without water - so I don't get all the sloshing about that comes with fluids and if you nurse the gel you're not overloading the system.

Another factor would be speed/intensity. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going full out or doing a dress rehearsal for my first 100k. Either way I'll be wanting 50g-60g of carbs through gels every 20 mins. If I'm racing I'll be running at 6:00-6:15/20 pace; if it's a dress rehearsal for 100k it'll still be sub 6:40-50 pace and getting the body familiar with the drill of gelling every 20mins or so makes sense, no?

menoscemo wrote: »
    The only thing about putting out a pack every three miles is it would be a pain looking for them.nif you have to stop every 3 miles you will lose time and momentum.
    Why not put out 3 gels stuck to a drink every 9 miles? Then you can take a gel and a drink and carry 2 gels to your next drop.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking of doing if I couldn't have a gel at every 3 miles. I'm just a bit funny about running with stuff in my hands. I'm odd like that. The thought of running the final 3 miles of each section with only 1 gel would freak me out as I'd feel all unbalanced. I suppose there's plenty of time to get used to running with gels in my hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Puncher wrote: »
    Yeah, that was what I was thinking of doing if I couldn't have a gel at every 3 miles. I'm just a bit funny about running with stuff in my hands. I'm odd like that. The thought of running the final 3 miles of each section with only 1 gel would freak me out as I'd feel all unbalanced. I suppose there's plenty of time to get used to running with gels in my hand.

Do you not have any shorts or tops with a pocket/pouch?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you not have any shorts or tops with a pocket/pouch?

Haha - yeah, I have shorts with pockets. I suppose I'll invest in some better shorts with good pockets for carrying gels - mine have a small pocket more for keys and tissues. That's what I'll do so - new shorts and pick up every 9 miles as you suggested. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

"Taking a gel every 3 miles is nuts. That's 12 gels :eek: I never take more than 3 because that's when my stomach says no."

Why is it nuts? Most top marathon runners take on 50-60g of carb's in some form every 5k or so, as do most of the top ultra guys.
    I always knew thomas wasnt a top ultra guy:),...wimpin out at 3 gels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Either way I'll be wanting 50g-60g of carbs through gels every 20 mins. If I'm racing I'll be running at 6:00-6:15/20 pace; if it's a dress rehearsal for 100k it'll still be sub 6:40-50 pace and getting the body familiar with the drill of gelling every 20mins or so makes sense, no?

50-60g of carbs per 20 mins? :confused:

From http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/carbs-run :
    The ideal is 100 to 250 calories (or 25 to 60 grams of carbs) per hour, after the first hour of running, says Nancy Clark, M.S., R.D., author of Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners.

Now you can discuss the merits of an article on runners worlds as much as you want, but similar figures seem to be mentioned in every article I just googled. Being able to digest 150-180g of carbs per hour would be unusual, especially when running at your pace.

Obviously, you will know best what works for you. I'm not trying to hold a lecture here.

If you are indeed able to run 39 miles at that pace you would be one of the elites at the start, so the race director may well be happy to accommodate any special requests. I'd suggest contacting them a couple of months before the race and asking for support.

50-60g of carbs per 20 mins? :confused

Now you can discuss the merits of an article on runners worlds as much as you want, but similar figures seem to be mentioned in every article I just googled. Being able to digest 150-180g of carbs per hour would be unusual, especially when running at your pace.

Obviously, you will know best what works for you. I'm not trying to hold a lecture here.

If you are indeed able to run 39 miles at that pace you would be one of the elites at the start, so the race director may well be happy to accommodate any special requests. I'd suggest contacting them a couple of months before the race and asking for support.

Sorry - that was clearly a typo. I mentioned earlier about taking on 50g-60g per hour at 20 min intervals. So the top guys would be taking on 50g-60g per hour and that would normally be taken at roughly 5k intervals.

Thanks for the info regarding the race director. I've just had another look at the course profile and 6 pace certainly does look ambitious. In fact, I'm almost certain that it'll be run closer to 6:50-7:00 as a training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've just had another look at the course profile and 6 pace certainly does look ambitious. In fact, I'm almost certain that it'll be run closer to 6:50-7:00 as a training run.
    What do you typically run for the marathon distance Puncher?

What do you typically run for the marathon distance Puncher?

I’ve never run a marathon:) I’m planning on an autumn marathon where I’m hoping to go somewhere around 2:26. My pb’s suggest that this is conservative but I'm aware that the marathon is a different beast. I ran 1500m on the track up until 2013. My last race was a 1500m where I ran 3:54 (Watford). I then got a non-running related illness that took me out for a year. Since then I’ve been getting my fitness back. All the big dreams of moving up to 5000m and taking on the world have gone. Because of the illness I can’t handle the intensity that comes with track and that’s why I’ve decided to move up. I enjoy the long runs but I can’t cope with tough rep work that’s necessary for the marathon. I can handle mileage, tempo runs and long runs.

I had heard about the Connemara ultra and it seemed to fit my plans (100k in September 2016 – probably Winschoten) but now looking at it I might be better off doing a flatter race.

I’m new to all this and trying to learn. I’m moving over to Ireland with my GF and will be looking for a coach. If there’s anybody out there that has some experience with marathon/ultra runners I’m looking…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

I’ve never run a marathon:) I’m planning on an autumn marathon where I’m hoping to go somewhere around 2:26. My pb’s suggest that this is conservative but I'm aware that the marathon is a different beast. I ran 1500m on the track up until 2013. My last race was a 1500m where I ran 3:54 (Watford). I then got a non-running related illness that took me out for a year. Since then I’ve been getting my fitness back. All the big dreams of moving up to 5000m and taking on the world have gone. Because of the illness I can’t handle the intensity that comes with track and that’s why I’ve decided to move up. I enjoy the long runs but I can’t cope with tough rep work that’s necessary for the marathon. I can handle mileage, tempo runs and long runs.

I had heard about the Connemara ultra and it seemed to fit my plans (100k in September 2016 – probably Winschoten) but now looking at it I might be better off doing a flatter race.

I’m new to all this and trying to learn. I’m moving over to Ireland with my GF and will be looking for a coach. If there’s anybody out there that has some experience with marathon/ultra runners I’m looking…

I know a fella down in Tralee who might suit- PM me and I'll give you his number.

He's working on a book right now though so could be a little busy :)

• Advertisement

I know a fella down in Tralee who might suit- PM me and I'll give you his number.

I'll PM you later. Just heading out for a run. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Would the Boston marathon two weeks ago count? I don't take gels any more and cause it was cold & wet on the day I never felt thirsty. Similar during the Limerick marathon yesterday but I did take a few swigs of water there as it was around 10C warmer.

Think my longest training run without either has been ~29 miles more by accident than design as there was no shop open in the place I'd planned to buy a bottle of water. My next possible source was only a few miles from home so I just decided to keep going.

Did 28k today with nowt. Maybe this 'training the body' idea works!

Nice easy 8 min miles. Weather was cool and sunny, I wonder was it because the humidity is low that I found it easier.

Post run snack, slice of brown bread with nuts/seeds - you know, the typical middle class stuff - with an egg and bit of cooked ham. Is that good for the protein intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Get in contact with Gary O'Hanlon. He is a serial marathon winner and also the reigning 50k Irish champion and Irish record holder. He coaches quite a few runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

It's all going to end in tears AGAIN.

Itziger wrote: »
    Did 28k today with nowt. Maybe this 'training the body' idea works!

Nice easy 8 min miles. Weather was cool and sunny, I wonder was it because the humidity is low that I found it easier.

Post run snack, slice of brown bread with nuts/seeds - you know, the typical middle class stuff - with an egg and bit of cooked ham. Is that good for the protein intake?

Itzinger- don't know why you're talking about a "post run snack" if you wanna properly "train the body" it would be essential to ingest nothing for at least the next 24 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Itzinger- don't know why you're talking about a "post run snack" if you wanna properly "train the body" it would be essential to ingest nothing for at least the next 24 hrs.

Just heading out for 7m and then gonna have the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Streak101

How important is getting a coach, thinking of focusing on running for the rest of the year.
    Currently I just run once or twice per week 5-6 miles each run, just over 40 minutes for the 5. Don't want to run far, but would like to get faster, can just get under 20 for 5k, but would like to run a mile on the track sometime without getting lapped.

Streak101 wrote: »
    How important is getting a coach, thinking of focusing on running for the rest of the year.
    Currently I just run once or twice per week 5-6 miles each run, just over 40 minutes for the 5. Don't want to run far, but would like to get faster, can just get under 20 for 5k, but would like to run a mile on the track sometime without getting lapped.

Getting a coach with a simple system based on proven success can be very beneficial. Getting a coach who cuts and pastes from Kellog's book and letsrun will do nothing for you.

All that is to say beware of frauds and chancers as there are lots in the running game. Do your research and find someone who you click with. A very easy way to tell a fraud is if they start making up "scientific" sounding lingo and deploy complex terminology to newbies.

#JSP 4 life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Getting a coach with a simple system based on proven success can be very beneficial. Getting a coach who cuts and pastes from Kellog's book and letsrun will do nothing for you.

All that is to say beware of frauds and chancers as there are lots in the running game. Do your research and find someone who you click with. A very easy way to tell a fraud is if they start making up "scientific" sounding lingo and deploy complex terminology to newbies.

There is a coach here in Cork when someone asked him one time about strength work. He said do you ever see a race horse in a gym. Another time they asked him about stretching and he said when he was competing he had to sit down to tie his laces cause he had no flexibility.

About a month after running sub 3 I was talking to him. His first question was had I ever run before. He shows that simple is the best approach.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone Care to recommend a Half Marathon in the next month or so? Or a 10 Mile race for that matter.

Looking to get something June ideally...

I was looking at the following, anyone have any thoughts on these?

May 30th Tullaroan Half in Kilkenny (€25)
    June 7th - Strawberry Half Marathon (Ennsicorthy) €15)
    June 27 Waterford Viking Half (€37)

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

adrian522 wrote: »
    Anyone Care to recommend a Half Marathon in the next month or so? Or a 10 Mile race for that matter.

Anything else?

Check out East of Ireland Marathons - half on in Lusk on 27 June - believe it's a fast course. I did one of theirs in January & would recommend it.

http://www.eastofirelandmarathons.com/events.html

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

The Cork marathon/half marathon is on June 1st, should be big numbers and great support- €60 though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, probably a bit outside my price range given not really a goal race or anything. May just do Tullaroan I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Anything else?

Did the Strawberry HM the following two years and definitely one of my favourites, beautifully scenic rolling course, plenty of ups and downs but no really big climbs. Very friendly race and about as cheap as they come.

Maybe not the best if you're PB hunting but definitely one to do if it's a training race.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Did the Strawberry HM the following two years and definitely one of my favourites, beautifully scenic rolling course, plenty of ups and downs but no really big climbs. Very friendly race and about as cheap as they come.

Maybe not the best if you're PB hunting but definitely one to do if it's a training race.

it's a training race alright, so not bothered if it's not the fastest course around.

I did the 10K down in Enniscorthy earlier this year and that was a superb race so I certainly consider this one also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've been lacing like this for years and while it is great, it does not prevent blisters in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Anything else?

Howdy,

I ran Tullaroan half last year - nice race - very local feel and great post race spread in the GAA hall after - hilly course and IMO def not a PB race but I enjoyed it - good value I thought
    r

Advertisement