Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The HIIT i done was 4 sprints from a tree to another. About 8 seconds each. 2 sprints around the outside of a cycling track about 50 seconds each then 6 hill runs. This was all after a 3 mile run

I was going as fast as possible on the HIIT. I guess i could do the strides mentioned above. I wabt to some some of this to keep "football fit" ie sprints, short bursts etc.

Long runs to me are 5 miles +. An example if my runs lately would be

Monday - 5 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles maybe 3
    Saturday 7 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I use nike+ so i could use that as my marker. The speed work mentioned sounds ideal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Monday - 5 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles maybe 3
    Saturday 7 miles

That sounds good if you are training for a 10 mile.
    As said some strides in the last mile of one of your shorter runs would keep your sprinting speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Krusty:Further to that, it's a big ask, big if you could finish at your planned marathon pace (6:50'ish) it'd be a massive boost. It would mean running very comfortably for the first 20-23 miles and then pick it up for the last few. It would really stand to you (but understandably is a tall order).

Clearlier: I'd recommend a negative split maybe starting at 3:30 pace to halfway and doing the second half at 3:20. I can't honestly remember how I determined that a negative split is a good idea but there was some logic behind it and I have seen some evidence that a positive split has a bad impact on training and a negative split a good one.

Thanks for the feedback folks. As it happens I did a mixture of the above, added Opus' advice and Ger's and came up with my own plan!!

End time 3:18.27. Started nice and conservative, but as the race is 80% Half runners, 10% Team Run and 10% Full runners it is really tough to keep it under control. Really tough. Add to that the downhill bits in the first half.... But I managed to keep it steady. We split from the Half at km15 and the race changes radically. Very zig zaggy for stretches here. Went through the Half with a New Zealand girl in 1.41. Was chatting snd running with her for about 6k or more. Had earlier met another friend doing the Half and got a few k in with him. Takes your mind off things. High fiving the Lux Prime Minister at km 12 was also a little highlight.

Ok, back to the running. I began to 'up' the effort levels a little and immediately started passing people. The hard downhill at km 28 didn't mess with the legs too much and down in the valley I noticed I was passing more runners. The uphill wasn't quite as bad as I feared and then for the last 12k I went in to eyes ahead, concentrate, no messing mode. What an experience it is to pass runners and not be passed. Results (for Didier Von Hatten, just in case anyone wishes to check!!) show I went from position 139 at Half to 64 by the finish. Not one single runner passed me in the last 12k. Admittedly there aren't many and the quality is not what it might be. Checking splits, I wasn't going that much faster for some of these kms but as there are lots of drags in there, I did feel I was running harder. The calf muscles, were zinging away and came mighty close to cramping but fortunately never quite did. I put in a 'flying' sub 4 km for the last full one and then swooped down the last incline and around the bends. Into the garish, loud, smoky finish and Voila, neg split of 4 mins approximately. 1.37 for second half.

Thanks again for the advice. Don't think I'll be doing one every 2 to 3 weeks (!) but there is a lot to be said for this type of run as a workout. It's sobering to think I have to take 20 minutes off that to hit the target but then again I had done almost no Marathon Training in preparation. Legs feel ok this morning. I can even walk downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Next weeks plan looks like this,
    9 easy
    V02 session
    11 steady
    Recovery
    9 easy
    13 long run
    Off

Would doing it this way make much difference?

11 steady
    9easy
    V02 session
    Rec
    9 easy
    13 long

Is there an advantage to a long run after a v02 session?

• Advertisement

Vito, the one obvious advantage is that you're testing yourself, but not TOOO much of a test, on tired legs. Depends a little how hard you make the steady runs. The other way you indicate above makes the VO2 session almost a race. Easy before and rec the next day.

I can't say I know enough about your training and history but I'd go with Plan A unless you're recovering from a recent injury and/or have a history of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

If you're training for a HM, how long should your longest run be? Should the full distance be done a few times in training first or should you stop a few km short of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

RonanP77 wrote: »
    If you're training for a HM, how long should your longest run be? Should the full distance be done a few times in training first or should you stop a few km short of it?

It really depends upon whether you're training to do the best half marathon you possibly can or just want to finish it. If the latter then you don't need to have completed the distance, if the former you'll probably have 2hr/20mile long runs somewhere in the mix.

Clearlier wrote:
    It really depends upon whether you're training to do the best half marathon you possibly can or just want to finish it. If the latter then you don't need to have completed the distance, if the former you'll probably have 2hr/20mile long runs somewhere in the mix.

Just doing it as an LSR and try setting a good time then on my second one. The aim would be to push on to longer distances after that.

Just doing it as an LSR and try setting a good time then on my second one. The aim would be to push on to longer distances after that.

If you're just building the distance of your long run and you've already covered 13.1 miles in training you can always do a couple of miles before the half marathon to make your run a bit longer :)

• Advertisement

From the mentored novices thread :D
    Ok last question for a while I promise!!

I get this weird taste/smell of gas after I run. It's kind of suffocating. That probably sounds weird. I can't explain it properly :o

Anyone else have any idea what I'm on about?

What distances do I need to start considering bringing water and jellies (or something similar)? 12km was my longest run last year and I didn't bring anything. In about 3 weeks time I'll be doing longer runs than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

What distances do I need to start considering bringing water and jellies (or something similar)? 12km was my longest run last year and I didn't bring anything. In about 3 weeks time I'll be doing longer runs than that.
    I'm up to 26k for my lsr and don't take in water or fuel. That could change when the summer comes along.... Don't think the body needs it if you eat and drink well the day before. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Start off taking nothing and see how you go.

I used to get this ammonia type smell after a long run. I remember looking it up on the net at the time and it was something along the lines of your body burning protein instead of carbs - I think! Give Dr Google a blast!

conavitzky wrote: »
    I used to get this ammonia type smell after a long run. I remember looking it up on the net at the time and it was something along the lines of your body burning protein instead of carbs - I think! Give Dr Google a blast!

As a follow on to this the smell stopped occuring after making sure I upped my carbohydrate intake slightly the day before a long run. I hope I haven't upset all the paleo warriors by revealing this;-)
    P.S. How do you quote a quote??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

conavitzky wrote:
    I'm up to 26k for my lsr and don't take in water or fuel. That could change when the summer comes along.... Don't think the body needs it if you eat and drink well the day before. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Start off taking nothing and see how you go.

Cheers,

I saw people mention taking gels on runs as short as 5 mile, I have no intention of ever getting them but I figured maybe after 10 mile it might be a good idea to bring a few jelly beans. I'll carry on taking nothing and see how far I can go like that.

conavitzky wrote: »
    P.S. How do you quote a quote??!!

Multiquote is probably the easiest way.

So, after last weekend's fairly successful marathon training run, I'm wondering about doing something similar but nearer target pace about 7 weeks before New York. I loved the negative split feel - and that on a tough last 10k course. I have also recovered really well. Did a short rec on Monday, and two 12k runs since then. No speed at all planned for this week. Will take it nice and easy.

What I want to float is the following. If I'm going for sub 3 on Nov 1st, would it be a plan to try something like 3.06 or so, maybe 3.08 in September? I feel I need a good few long runs to get the confidence up and to build stamina. This would obviously be a good strong test of a session but wouldn't take too much out of me I hope. Ideally I'd target a negative split again. Say 1.35 first and as near as possible to 1.30 for second half.

Anyone try this type of thing before or know of anyone who has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a half marathon in late August/first week in September.

The options I can find on the last weekend in August are:
    • Tullamore
    • Longford
    • Ollygate

So which is the best course (flattest) and best overall (for crowd support, depth of field etc.)?

Thank you!

ps: if you can suggest any others please do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dingle half the first weekend of September, probably not a PB course though. Waterside half in Derry too. I'm probably running Tullamore myself. I've never run any of them though.

I think Yaboya has run longford in the past.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Dingle half the first weekend of September, probably not a PB course though. Waterside half in Derry too. I'm probably running Tullamore myself. I've never run any of them though.

I think Yaboya has run longford in the past.

Longford is a PB course but I am pretty sure it is quite short ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hey folks,

• Tullamore
    • Longford
    • Ollygate

So which is the best course (flattest) and best overall (for crowd support, depth of field etc.)?

Thank you!

Could you not leave it a week and do the flattest half in the country in Athlone on the 12th of September?

menoscemo wrote: »
    ok well if that's definitely the case then it's out thanks!
    tang1 wrote: »
    Could you not leave it a week and do the flattest half in the country in Athlone on the 12th of September?

I'd absolutely love to do that one.
    2 words. Bloody weddings..................... :mad: don't get me started.........
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ok well if that's definitely the case then it's out thanks!

I'd absolutely love to do that one.
    2 words. Bloody weddings..................... :mad: don't get me started.........
    thanks!

You know your running is more important than a wedding...........

tang1 wrote: »
    You know your running is more important than a wedding...........

Well of course it is. Sadly other people don't see it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I mean they changed the start line in 2012, I did the half then and I measured it under 13 miles (I did the full in 2011 and the start was in a different place and the first lap of the town was different).
    As far as I can tell it's been the same way for the last 2 years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hey folks,

• Tullamore
    • Longford
    • Ollygate

Thank you!

Achill half/full/ultra is the last weekend in August although UM1 once described it as a 'psycho' route so not a pb one. Thought you were concentrating on the short fun stuff for the summer - change of plan ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I mean they changed the start line in 2012, I did the half then and I measured it under 13 miles (I did the full in 2011 and the start was in a different place and the first lap of the town was different).
    As far as I can tell it's been the same way for the last 2 years as well.

Googling around there, Longford is a full member of AIMS, that means course has to be properly measured.

Whatever you used to measure made a mistake. Not uncommon, same routes I run can differ by .2 using strava on the phone. That would be enough for just under 13mil on race day.

Advertisement