Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ososlo wrote: »
    ok well if that's definitely the case then it's out thanks!

I'd absolutely love to do that one.
    2 words. Bloody weddings..................... :mad: don't get me started.........
    thanks!

Don't watch game of thrones ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Googling around there, Longford is a full member of AIMS, that means course has to be properly measured.

Whatever you used to measure made a mistake. Not uncommon, same routes I run can differ by .2 using strava on the phone. That would be enough for just under 13mil on race day.

Funny you should mention that.
    I was in touch with an AIMs measurer about this. And yes the course does have an AIMs cert, but it is the pre 2012 course that has a cert, and the course has not been remeasured since they changed the start/finish lines. It seems you pay for an AIMs cert for a number of years but they do not come back to check you run the race over the course that was officially measured each year. So basically; Moral of the story: AIMS cert is not worth the paper is written on :)

BTW if you don't believe me you can check the startfinish areas by comparing the traces of the 2011 Full and the 2012 Half (both races have always started and finished at the same point). As you can see the 2011 race started and finished at least 100m south of where it started and finished in 2012

Now it is quite possible that the full course was tweaked to make up the distance lost at the start (seems likely as I have never heard complaints about the full) but it seems a cert to me that the half course is short. I measured it as 12.94 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

menoscemo wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that.
    I was in touch with an AIMs measurer about this. And yes the course does have an AIMs cert, but it is the pre 2012 course that has a cert, and the course has not been remeasured since they changed the start/finish lines. It seems you pay for an AIMs cert for a number of years but they do not come back to check you run the race over the course that was officially measured each year. So basically; Moral of the story: AIMS cert is not worth the paper is written on :)

BTW if you don't believe me you can check the startfinish areas by comparing the traces of the 2011 Full and the 2012 Half (both races have always started and finished at the same point). As you can see the 2011 race started and finished at least 100m south of where it started and finished in 2012

Now it is quite possible that the full course was tweaked to make up the distance lost at the start (seems likely as I have never heard complaints about the full) but it seems a cert to me that the half course is short. I measured it as 12.94 miles.

I remember reading through a race report of the Half last year - I'm almost certain it was this race - and a 'senior' poster here had a link to his Garmin for it. A few minutes later the link was removed. In the short time it was up I remember being surprised that it was something around 12.9x. Not sure I have the time to trawl through the log right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm looking for a half marathon in late August/first week in September.

The options I can find on the last weekend in August are:
    • Tullamore
    • Longford
    • Ollygate

So which is the best course (flattest) and best overall (for crowd support, depth of field etc.)?

Thank you!

ps: if you can suggest any others please do!

Presume you mean Oylegate in Wexford?
    Paced this a number of years ago, small enough field and zero on course support apart from the odd water station.
    Quite rolling from memory from about 5 - 11, nice finish at the GAA grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Presume you mean Oylegate in Wexford?
    Paced this a number of years ago, small enough field and zero on course support apart from the odd water station.
    Quite rolling from memory from about 5 - 11, nice finish at the GAA grounds.

Sorry yeah I don't know where I got that spelling from! Never heard of the place before!
    I've chosen Tullamore as the best out of the options available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I ran the Longford HM last year and got 13.04m. Garmin link is on my log (24th August 2014 I think?). On my mobile atm and it's too much hassle to find it myself :P. I'm not convinced it was short. We did a U-turn at a bollard late in the race that may have caused the discrepency.
    dublin runner paced it and got 12.94m (I think). I know both him & meno are confident it's short. Krusty & TbL also ran it last year. Can't remember their opinion on the issue.

Regarding the course, it's pretty flat and unless you got a really bad day it should be favourable for a good time (assuming it's the right distance). The race runs alongside the full & ultra marathons in parts which can be slightly distracting, but other than that it's a decent race and I wouldn't have any complaints. Wouldn't be much support once you're out of the town either (which is most of the race).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK, so I'm following P&D 18 week plan.

The prescribed races in the plan are at weeks 12, 14 and 16.

Week 12 8-15K Race (Aug 15th)
    Week 14 8-15K Race (Aug 29th)
    Week 16 8-10K Race (Sept 12th)

Struggling to find races to fit this schedule. Aug 16th has a 10 miler in Monaghan which I guess could be used(and push out the long run till the Monday).

Aug 22nd is the Frank Duffy 10 Mile and I could use that instead, which would mean racing 2 weeks in a row (much handier than Monaghan).

For Aug 29th I don't see much (Pink run 10K is a possibility), but I could run the Tullamore half and drop the long run the following day.

Sept 12th I see nothing much at all, but I'm sure there will be a 10K on somewhere that weekend. The lakes 10K is the week before, but that would mean racing 3 weeks in a row.

What do you guys think is the best way of managing these races?

Is 4 weeks out too late to be racing a half marathon? The rock N roll half is another possibility 8 weeks out, I'd like to race a half in the buildup at some point.

Really just looking for advice on how to organise these races.

The target by the way is Berlin Marathon on September 27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I ran the Longford HM last year and got 13.04m. Garmin link is on my log (24th August 2014 I think?). On my mobile atm and it's too much hassle to find it myself :P. I'm not convinced it was short. We did a U-turn at a bollard late in the race that may have caused the discrepency.
    dublin runner paced it and got 12.94m (I think). I know both him & meno are confident it's short. Krusty & TbL also ran it last year. Can't remember their opinion on the issue.

Regarding the course, it's pretty flat and unless you got a really bad day it should be favourable for a good time (assuming it's the right distance). The race runs alongside the full & ultra marathons in parts which can be slightly distracting, but other than that it's a decent race and I wouldn't have any complaints. Wouldn't be much support once you're out of the town either (which is most of the race).

One think you can't dispute. They got an AIM cert for a course then changed the course and didn't remeasure it.

When you look at where the finish was in 2011 vs where it has been since, it's impossible to imagine it not being short unless extra was added out on the course (i.e you used to have to run right through the town to the finish).

Also if the short GPS traces are caused by the turnaround then you would simply have one exceptionally fast (i.e. short) mile at the point where you did the turnaround. This was certainly not the case for me and I measured it 0.16 mile short!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

This talk about course length discrepancies has got me wondering - during races do people use the "auto-lap" function on their Garmins, or do you press the lap button at each mile marker? Personally, I use the auto-lap function but it would be interesting to see to difference between the two. Maybe I'll wear two watches at my next race....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

adrian522 wrote: »
    OK, so I'm following P&D 18 week plan.

The prescribed races in the plan are at weeks 12, 14 and 16.

Week 12 8-15K Race (Aug 15th)
    Week 14 8-15K Race (Aug 29th)
    Week 16 8-10K Race (Sept 12th)

Struggling to find races to fit this schedule. Aug 16th has a 10 miler in Monaghan which I guess could be used(and push out the long run till the Monday).

Aug 22nd is the Frank Duffy 10 Mile and I could use that instead, which would mean racing 2 weeks in a row (much handier than Monaghan).

For Aug 29th I don't see much (Pink run 10K is a possibility), but I could run the Tullamore half and drop the long run the following day.

Sept 12th I see nothing much at all, but I'm sure there will be a 10K on somewhere that weekend. The lakes 10K is the week before, but that would mean racing 3 weeks in a row.

What do you guys think is the best way of managing these races?

Is 4 weeks out too late to be racing a half marathon? The rock N roll half is another possibility 8 weeks out, I'd like to race a half in the buildup at some point.

Really just looking for advice on how to organise these races.

The target by the way is Berlin Marathon on September 27th.

I'm currently googling races for myself for the same time. There's a 10k in duleek on August 16th. No idea of any other details, could be an option though? Anyone here have any experience of it? I've heard good things about the lakes, a few seem to rave about it. I have a wedding that day so it's out for me :mad:

Thanks, I'd probably rather do a 10 mile than a 10k for that race but I guess its an option alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

So on the LSR finding the nipples starting to chafe on the warmer days.
    What are the best ways of avoiding it?? Not in injured territory yet but if the LSRs get a little longer I may be in trouble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

tipping wrote: »
    What are the best ways of avoiding it?? Not in injured territory yet but if the LSRs get a little longer I may be in trouble!!

Vaseline, bodyglide, taping are the 'traditional methods. If you're not already wear a technical top that you keep as dry as possible.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Vaseline, bodyglide, taping are the 'traditional methods. If you're not already wear a technical top that you keep as dry as possible.

Cheers. Already using the technical top, think it's just friction really.
    So where do you get the bodyglide stuff, running shop or just a pharmacy??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Got mine online. I'd call a shop to see if they have it before visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Surgical tape, buy it in any pharmacy, for all the world like really lightweight masking tape and comes off really easy in the shower afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

pointer28 wrote: »
    Surgical tape, buy it in any pharmacy, for all the world like really lightweight masking tape and comes off really easy in the shower afterwards.

Micropore is the name of it, comes in a couple of different thicknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I use these guys. You should have it within a day or two.

http://www.swimcyclerun.com/body-care-lube/bodyglide-anti-chafe-128g.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I use kinesiology tape skin colour. I get a roll. Split it down the center, and then cut it into squares put them in a bag. They have never come off during a long run or marathon when using them. Its basically a cheap more effective solution to band aids.

I buy it from China.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/5M-5cm-Kinesiology-Elastic-Tape-Roll-Sports-Physio-Muscle-Strain-Injury-Support-/181307129156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2a36bf3d44

Have any of you got a good resource for 5k specific speed sessions? I've been googlywoogling but can't find much that isn't for complete beginners.
    I'm around 27 mins now, looking to get under 25 (and eventually lower), and making it up as I go along with 200's, 300's and mile repeats depending on my mood..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

libelula wrote: »
    Have any of you got a good resource for 5k specific speed sessions? I've been googlywoogling but can't find much that isn't for complete beginners.
    I'm around 27 mins now, looking to get under 25 (and eventually lower), and making it up as I go along with 200's, 300's and mile repeats depending on my mood..

Have a read of this. In the morning. For now, to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

libelula wrote: »

I found the Hal Higdon 5km programme me really useful for carving minutes off my previous 5Km pb last autumn. No doubt that there are more comprehensive and detailed schedules available elsewhere but It did it for me!!!

Sorry, but I cannot post a link to the forum with my user status

Will take a look at those, thanks very much guys :)

Clearlier wrote: »

So the Vaseline worked a treat today. All is well in the world again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Apologies for this really lame basic question.

After 2 weeks of just running, the real work starts in the plan tomorrow and it says 5m fartlek. The explanation it gives for fartlek is, short bursts of up to 3 mins with a one third recovery easy jog.

Up until now the longer distance 'speedwork' i was doing was described as either a progression or alternation run (type A). Any short bursts of speedwork weeks were done in intervals of 5 (type B), so i would only be covering a short distance for about 30 mins.

Should a fartlek of 5m be done like type A or B? Im just a bit concerned that this plan being for intermediates (which Muler kindly adapted for my level) they might be covering the distance in 30 mins. Whereas as my 5m race speed is 48 mins and that might be a bit long for a type B approach.

I hope this makes sense to someone. I just really want to avoid getting annoyed with myself if it doesnt work out, when i can be better prepared heading out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

After 2 weeks of just running, the real work starts in the plan tomorrow and it says 5m fartlek. The explanation it gives for fartlek is, short bursts of up to 3 mins with a one third recovery easy jog.

Up until now the longer distance 'speedwork' i was doing was described as either a progression or alternation run (type A). Any short bursts of speedwork weeks were done in intervals of 5 (type B), so i would only be covering a short distance for about 30 mins.

Should a fartlek of 5m be done like type A or B? Im just a bit concerned that this plan being for intermediates (which Muler kindly adapted for my level) they might be covering the distance in 30 mins. Whereas as my 5m race speed is 48 mins and that might be a bit long for a type B approach.

I hope this makes sense to someone. I just really want to avoid getting annoyed with myself if it doesnt work out, when i can be better prepared heading out :D

Morning Hanny :) Have you done fartlek before? Even if this has been adapted, it's still pretty hardcore. I worked up to 5 and 6 miles of fartlek over the winter and believe me, I needed to, 5 miles of fartlek is pretty tough :eek: What's the plan? I would have thought as a stimulation, fartlek was primarily a winter thing or an introduction to pacier stuff? I may be wrong. Could you change it, as you suggest, to 30 - even 20 minutes - to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Is that's the Cool Running 10K plan ? 5M fartlek would include the warm up and cool down. They give a good explanation of how to do the session here. It's fun! And apparently, according to a recent article in the Guardian, you can tell a real runner if you mention fartlek and they don't snigger ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Morning Hanny :) Have you done fartlek before? Even if this has been adapted, it's still pretty hardcore. I worked up to 5 and 6 miles of fartlek over the winter and believe me, I needed to, 5 miles of fartlek is pretty tough :eek: What's the plan? I would have thought as a stimulation, fartlek was primarily a winter thing or an introduction to pacier stuff? I may be wrong. Could you change it, as you suggest, to 30 - even 20 minutes - to start with?

Morning DG, thanks for the quick response.

No, Ive never done fartlek before. Ive heard the word being thrown about on here, but never had to look into it until now.

I was a bit concerned like you say that 5m of bursts of speed was a bit much for me for now. Ive never done anything like that before, but didnt want to be a wuss either :D Its the cool runnings half marathon plan. The reason i picked the intermediate one is because the long runs suit me better, but perhaps the speed work is a bit too advanced. Certainly this one seems to be.

A 30 min one would suit me way better I think.

Advertisement