Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Running mad

Both would be good! No need to play favourites with a hill.:)

On the short hill, you could do sprints or bounding. For sprints, Start off with low volume of 4-5 repeats at about 90% of all out with 2-3 mins recovery and build it up to 8-10 reps as the weeks pass by.

Bounding is simply what it says on the tin. Almost like skipping up the hill. These will really help with coordination and getting a solid pushoff.

For the longer hill, something like 4-5 x hill with 3-4 minutes recovery would be a good starting point and again, build it up as the weeks pass by to around 8 reps. Again, I would base this more on effort than pace. The effort should be honest but you should have the feeling you could knock out another rep or two without the pace falling off if you needed after the last rep.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that Notwork, a good detailed description of what I should do

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Away on holidays at the moment and it's already looking like I won't get much running at all done over the next week or ten days. Will I lose much fitness? Is there any benefits to a week off? And lastly, if I do get out for a few trots, what's the most beneficial way to run to maintain fitness, or am I just better off running easy and crack on when I get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Away on holidays at the moment and it's already looking like I won't get much running at all done over the next week or ten days. Will I lose much fitness? Is there any benefits to a week off? And lastly, if I do get out for a few trots, what's the most beneficial way to run to maintain fitness, or am I just better off running easy and crack on when I get back?

Why can't you get out JD? Terrain, dodgy roads with packs of wild dogs? Plans to hit the wine and whiskey every day and night?

If you can get out, do what you suggest in the last line!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Itziger wrote:
    Why can't you get out JD? Terrain, dodgy roads with packs of wild dogs? Plans to hit the wine and whiskey every day and night?

Itziger wrote:
    If you can get out, do what you suggest in the last line!

Combination of what you mentioned! In a medium sized town in a rural enough part of Romania between transylvania and Moldova... footpaths are pretty non existent outside of town centre, driving style around here doesn't make me feel safe to run on the road, no parks with trails etc., no car/ public transport to take me to where strava heatmap says a few people run... temperatures north of 25 at present so that's a no no for a hefty lump of a fella like me! I also have no bearings of where i am and my navigation skills/ ability to communicate with the locals are quite limited, so getting lost lost is a very real possibility... I'm possibly/ probably being a bit dramatic as it's only the second day here so might figure out how to address some or all of the above over the next few days! Funny you mention packs of wild dogs, apparently it's a very real issue over here, especially for a faster moving piece of meat... thrill of the chase I'm told!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

in a rural enough part of Romania between transylvania and Moldova...

Watch out for the Count as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

tailgunner wrote: »
    Watch out for the Count as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIniljT5lJI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Combination of what you mentioned! In a medium sized town in a rural enough part of Romania between transylvania and Moldova... footpaths are pretty non existent outside of town centre, driving style around here doesn't make me feel safe to run on the road, no parks with trails etc., no car/ public transport to take me to where strava heatmap says a few people run... temperatures north of 25 at present so that's a no no for a hefty lump of a fella like me! I also have no bearings of where i am and my navigation skills/ ability to communicate with the locals are quite limited, so getting lost lost is a very real possibility... I'm possibly/ probably being a bit dramatic as it's only the second day here so might figure out how to address some or all of the above over the next few days! Funny you mention packs of wild dogs, apparently it's a very real issue over here, especially for a faster moving piece of meat... thrill of the chase I'm told!

Possibly the best holiday excuse(s) ever :D you could try jogging on the spot? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    Possibly the best holiday excuse(s) ever :D you could try jogging on the spot? ;)

Or doing the Time Warp ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

After doing the 10K last weekend I needed to re-do the plan for this week slightly.

I was supposed to run a tempo (5 miles) on tuesday but decided to push it till later in the week as I wasn't properly recovered from the race.

Now my issue is if I do the tempo tomorrow, I'd have a recovery run Friday and then supposed to do 18m with 10 @ Marathon pace on Saturday.

Is all this too much too close together. Would I be better off pushing the tempo back to next week (which is a recovery week)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

adrian522 wrote: »
    After doing the 10K last weekend I needed to re-do the plan for this week slightly.

I was supposed to run a tempo (5 miles) on tuesday but decided to push it till later in the week as I wasn't properly recovered from the race.

Now my issue is if I do the tempo tomorrow, I'd have a recovery run Friday and then supposed to do 18m with 10 @ Marathon pace on Saturday.

Is all this too much too close together. Would I be better off pushing the tempo back to next week (which is a recovery week)?

Forget about it. What's missed is missed. Trying to catch up on a structured plan isn't a great idea. It's only one tempo run, not a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well it wasn't missed really I just switched around Tuesday and Thursday. I'd like to do it at some point as the temp runs progress and if I don't do this one the next one would be that bit more difficult.

IF I don't do it what would you recommend to do tomorrow instead? Just 9 or 10 Easy?

The plan as it was is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VoujTFH-j9N3rOtwHYh1xDMTnVuRx_pCNngWIhzKqxw/edit#gid=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Surely a 10k race is worth more than a 5 mile tempo?

Assuming the race was not in the plan then doing it and the other sessions is probably more than P&D intended?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Surely a 10k race is worth more than a 5 mile tempo?

Assuming the race was not in the plan then doing it and the other sessions is probably more than P&D intended?

Yeah you are probably right. I may just drop that altogether as has been suggested here and on my log and make sure I'm rested for the long run on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

You could incorporate the tempo in Fridays MLR but keep the overall pace of the run as an MLR (5 Tempo Miles + 5 Easy ). Whatever happens Tomorrow should be a recovery Run. Switching the Tuesday and Thursday on that plan left you with MLR/Tempo/MLR Three hard session on the bounce is asking for trouble.

ger664 wrote: »
    You could incorporate the tempo in Fridays MLR but keep the overall pace of the run as an MLR (5 Tempo Miles + 5 Easy ). Whatever happens Tomorrow should be a recovery Run. Switching the Tuesday and Thursday on that plan left you with MLR/Tempo/MLR Three hard session on the bounce is asking for trouble.

So this week so far has been

M recovery
    Tuesday mlr 14
    W recovery

Rest of this week will be

Th mlr 12
    Friday recovery
    Saturday long run with mp miles. 18

District that sound ok? No need to include tempo miles in today's run I don't think.?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Favoured calf strengthening exercises anyone?? Plain old heel lifts maybe. Want something that I can do anywhere to add onto my single leg squats routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hi all,
    strained my hamstring last night playing 5 a side football. It's mild enough, not too sore, more uncomfortable than anything.

Am I mad to think I could run 5 miler on saturday morning ? Would a visit to physio be worthwhile or is it better to just rest (RICE) for a few days ?

Thanks,
    F.

tipping wrote: »
    Favoured calf strengthening exercises anyone?? Plain old heel lifts maybe. Want something that I can do anywhere to add onto my single leg squats routine.

Calf Raises/Heel Drops on a step - concentrate on control and go down slowly.

Calf Raises/Heel Drops on a step - concentrate on control and go down slowly.

Cheers. Sounds like a nice addition to my new beginning on S&C/maintenance routine, next up quads as they really suffer more than anything else after any gym class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

So this week so far has been

M recovery
    Tuesday mlr 14
    W recovery

Rest of this week will be

Th mlr 12
    Friday recovery
    Saturday long run with mp miles. 18

District that sound ok? No need to include tempo miles in today's run I don't think.?

Looks like you're doing the same plan for the same race as me Adrian (P&D 55-70 for Berlin?).

I have a similar predicament to you in that I'm juggling runs. I have to do my 18 w/10@MP on Friday this week because of weekend commitments (usually do long runs on Sundays). Sometimes the hardest part of following a plan is following the plan:roll eyes:
    As mentioned above the 10k last weekend would trump the 5m tempo.
    Personally I'm not loving the idea of the PMP miles tomorrow after bunching up my runs all week:(

• Advertisement

Correct yeah, same plan and target race.

You identified races for later in the plan (Weeks 12, 14 and 16 have tune up races)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Correct yeah, same plan and target race.

You identified races for later in the plan (Weeks 12, 14 and 16 have tune up races)?

Kind of-

week 14- Kilmore 10k, Co Wexford

week 16- Kill 10k, Co Kildare.

Not sure about week 12, can't find anything on the Saturday, which I'd prefer to allow for the long run on the Sunday. Would love to find a good 10miler but they are hard to come by. The Clonmel half is on that Sunday (Aug 16th) so might tag a couple of w/u and c/d miles to it as my long run. How about yourself?

Yeah that Kill 10K looks like theo ne for 2 weeks out.

I may do the Frank Duffy 10 Mile ( actually week 13) and just juggle things around elsewhere.

I was thinking of the Tullamore half for week 14 and dropping the following days long run. Not sure about that though.

Also thinking about entering the RNR Half and using that for the 16 Miles with 12 @ MP session.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Okay so I'm running a 5K tonight, what do people around here usually eat before hand to avoid cramps/repeating/other nastiness when racing in the evening. Most races I've done have been in the morning so have a breakfast routine. However for evening races with a full day of work/food/life what do people do differently than a normal day? Do you rest up more, eat differently, avoid heavy workloads?
    A bit late in the day to do anything about it now but just curious?

Thanks

Okay so I'm running a 5K tonight, what do people around here usually eat before hand to avoid cramps/repeating/other nastiness when racing in the evening. Most races I've done have been in the morning so have a breakfast routine. However for evening races with a full day of work/food/life what do people do differently than a normal day? Do you rest up more, eat differently, avoid heavy workloads?

Thanks

I usually bring in lunch and a dinner to work and eat the dinner at my desk around 4pm. I need my dinner or I'd get hungry and want that 3-4 hours before a 5k race. It works for me anyway. Dinner is something simple made the dinner before such as pasta and chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks

It has been a while since I ran an evening race but I do know that my body makes violent attempts to reject the contents of my stomach if I sprint in so I'd avoid eating anything for 5 or 6 hours beforehand (energy availability through glycogen just isn't going to be an issue for a 5k). I'd eat anything that would be sure to be out of my stomach by the time of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks

I'd normally just eat a slightly larger lunch (same lunch as usual).

Being hungry is not an issue as you have more than enough stored energy to race a 5k. You'll soon forget hunger once you get moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Louise40

I ran a 1.46.48 half marathon in October 14, pb 10k sept 14 47.30. Trained well up to Xmas. Due to personal issues I did no speed training from jan-end April 15. During that time I ran about 25 miles a wk but all easy miles. Started a program in early May and am currently in week 6. My wk is 8 miles Saturday, 5x3 one min rec Sunday, gym Monday, track session Tuesday, 5 miles easy Wednesday, track session thur. I went back a minute a mile in my long runs and my speed really suffered from all the easy miles. I v been told it ll take about 8 wks oft new program to see an improvement and will take about 12 wks to get me back to where I was pre Xmas. Does this sound about right? I m determined to stick at it but some days I feel i ll never get back! I v signed up for the hm in October. Any thoughts/advice much appreciated! It's my first post so please help!!!

Louise40 wrote: »
    I ran a 1.46.48 half marathon in October 14, pb 10k sept 14 47.30. Trained well up to Xmas. Due to personal issues I did no speed training from jan-end April 15. During that time I ran about 25 miles a wk but all easy miles. Started a program in early May and am currently in week 6. My wk is 8 miles Saturday, 5x3 one min rec Sunday, gym Monday, track session Tuesday, 5 miles easy Wednesday, track session thur. I went back a minute a mile in my long runs and my speed really suffered from all the easy miles. I v been told it ll take about 8 wks oft new program to see an improvement and will take about 12 wks to get me back to where I was pre Xmas. Does this sound about right? I m determined to stick at it but some days I feel i ll never get back! I v signed up for the hm in October. Any thoughts/advice much appreciated! It's my first post so please help!!!

No expert but I changed my approach this year to mostly easy miles after lots of injuries and reduced all my training paces. I've been improving times steadily since but somedays it can feel like pace is harder than it was before but my races disagree.
    That said the coach said today at training if you feel your speed is suffering with all the easy runs to throw in strides at the end which will help to maintain speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Louise40 wrote: »

3 sessions a week including 2 track sessions is a lot of sessions. I'd imagine that you'd benefit significantly from dropping that to one and doing more easy running - add in strides a couple of times a week. This is long but will be worth your time if you want to understand how to train.

Advertisement