Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rob w wrote: »
    OK Thanks. Was thinking about buying a new brand though. I've never used the same make & model twice in a row, so I've always had a bit of a 'breaking in' period with new pairs!:o

If buying a new brand that's a different story. You'll want to try them out a few times to make sure that:
    a) you like them.
    b) they fit well and don't cause any chafing or injuries.
    But that's totally different to 'breaking them in'.

RayCun wrote: »
    my usual easy run shoes (Brooks adrenaline) usually take a few wears to get comfy in so I wouldn't do a long run in them straight away

That's because you're used to running in shoes that have their heels bashed in. It takes you a few runs to bash the heels in on the new ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's because you're used to running in shoes that have their heels bashed in. It takes you a few runs to bash the heels in on the new ones :)

that was back when I was a road jogger. I'm a gazelle-like track athlete now. :cool: Next time you see me at a parkrun I'll be wearing sprinter shorts and shades, and complaining that other people are standing in my lane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

davedanon wrote: »
    I'd agree with Meno in general. Running shoes can invariably be worn straight out of the box without any problems, but there's always the slight chance that a new pair of shoes will chafe somewhere and cause a blister. I'd run in them at least once just to check that there are no such issues.
    +1. Why risk a marathon you've trained for 18 weeks for, by throwing on a brand new pair of shoes the day of the race? Would you try a new gel on the day? Eat something completely different for breakfast (like kippers)? Change your stride pattern?

You don't need to run 100 miles in them, but if you have them already, then why wouldn't you run 100 miles in them before the marathon? I did buy a pair of shoes for NYC marathon the day before the race, and wore them for the run, but that was a tourist marathon (as I'd hit my target a few weeks earlier). Still got blisters to beat the band. So you don't need to break them in, but surely only a foolish person wouldn't run a few miles in them beforehand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

+1. Why risk a marathon you've trained for 18 weeks for, by throwing on a brand new pair of shoes the day of the race? Would you try a new gel on the day? Eat something completely different for breakfast (like kippers)? Change your stride pattern?

You don't need to run 100 miles in them, but if you have them already, then why wouldn't you run 100 miles in them before the marathon? I did buy a pair of shoes for NYC marathon the day before the race, and wore them for the run, but that was a tourist marathon (as I'd hit my target a few weeks earlier). Still got blisters to beat the band. So you don't need to break them in, but surely only a foolish person wouldn't run a few miles in them beforehand?

mmm......kippers. True. It's not a good idea to change anything in the run up to a marathon. Even a new pair of shorts can cause an unexpected chafing problem. I had a situation just before Derry, when a trusty old pair of
    ASICS gel volts, which I had decided to wear for Derry itself, suddenly gave me a heel blister on a long run, which lead me eventually to running in fairly new Sauconys. I had run in them a few times though, so I was fairly confident I wouldn't have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

I wouldn't dream of buying a new pair the day before the race. I only asked the question of how many miles would be good to do before wearing them in a Marathon as I am starting my training block now, and probably wont be picking up a new pair of runners for around 6 weeks time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

Firstly apologies for the rather simple, obvious question a non-runner like me would like to ask:

Why do you like running?

The reason I ask the question is that I play golf and apart from the odd bad shot, 90% of the time I'm out there enjoying myself as are the people I'm playing with. However, most runners I see seem to be perpetually in a state of pain! I can imagine the buzz you feel afterwards, such as when setting a new personal best, and obviously when you meet up with other runners etc, but during the run itself, do most of you actually like it?? My own father has run 8 marathons, the fastest being just under 3 hours and also broken the hour for 10 miles. He's 65 now and still runs 2 - 3 times a week. I've asked him and he's never actually referred to the run itself rather the "running". Mrs Loire has run 2 marathons but for her it's just her "head space" time and it helps to keep shape.

Just curious,

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

"If you have to ask you will never understand"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

For myself I have always loved exercise, training and sports and so running was easy to fall into I guess. It is really easy to get started. A decent pair of runners is all you need. I run on my own and Im happy doing it that way so far. I enjoy doing races now and I think it is a great hobby to pick up for life. We are blessed in this country at the moment with the choice of races and parkruns taking off.
    I also notice how toned my body has become over the last year. I never thought I was overweight but you need to put on a tight top and shorts to put it to the test. Getting out for a run is great to destress and clear or sweat the bad stuff out of the body.
    No harm in trying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

"If you have to ask you will never understand"

That's why he is asking. He is trying to understand.

• Advertisement

If you only run now and again, you'll think of running as hard exercise because when you run, you'll find it hard. When you've been running a while, you'll be able to do most of your running at a pace that feels quite easy. You're relaxed, not in pain, and you can enjoy being outside, moving, in your own time.
    Then you do a hard session or a race and the pain returns...

Thanks for the replies. I'm about to start running myself. As mentioned it's in the family so to speak and rather than just sit there when my father and wife are talking about running with my thumb in my mouth I've decided to give it a go! I ran a bit when I was much younger and actually ran a mile in 6.30 which was decent as I was only 10 at the time. My first goal will be to match this.

Dr Google also threw up this interesting article http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/12/why-i-love-running and another one
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/feb/05/why-we-love-to-run

Finally, here's a pretty cool clip of running that I also like....about 1min in...
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-i4rSl8lS4

Thanks,

Loire

Loire wrote: »
    However, most runners I see seem to be perpetually in a state of pain!
    Looks can be quite deceptive. Today I went for a lunch-time run from work, and took some mountain bike trails up towards Three Rock. I'd imagine if you'd seen me on the climb, I would have had a pained expression on my face, as the effort in the heat up that climb was tough. But running those trails on a sunny day with the fantastic views overlooking all of Dublin was pure unadulterated joy. If I didn't enjoy it, I just wouldn't do it. Not all runs are like that though. Just as in golf, there have to be bad days, where things just don't work out. Those days you just work through it, in the knowledge that even the sh1tty days are making a better, stronger runner.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi all,

Firstly apologies for the rather simple, obvious question a non-runner like me would like to ask:

Why do you like running?

The reason I ask the question is that I play golf and apart from the odd bad shot, 90% of the time I'm out there enjoying myself as are the people I'm playing with. However, most runners I see seem to be perpetually in a state of pain! I can imagine the buzz you feel afterwards, such as when setting a new personal best, and obviously when you meet up with other runners etc, but during the run itself, do most of you actually like it?? My own father has run 8 marathons, the fastest being just under 3 hours and also broken the hour for 10 miles. He's 65 now and still runs 2 - 3 times a week. I've asked him and he's never actually referred to the run itself rather the "running". Mrs Loire has run 2 marathons but for her it's just her "head space" time and it helps to keep shape.

Just curious,

Loire.

Asking if running is enjoyable, in the same sense that eating an ice-cream or playing X-Box is enjoyable, is like asking if breathing is enjoyable. The concept is too limited to encompass the satisfaction running brings. When you find yourself looking forward to the prospect of running a speed session, despite the fact that it's 20+ degrees (or 2 degrees and freezing) and you're going to be running 12x400m with a breather of approx. 35 secs in between, the whole thing sandwiched by warm up/cool downs lasting 4-5 miles in total, then you know that 'enjoyment' is not really the mot juste. Running has become a necessary, elemental part of my being. I need it the way trees need photosynthesis. Asking me if I enjoy it is asking the wrong question. I require it at extremely regular intervals, or I will be miserable. sorry for waxing poetic. It's the romantic in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Asking if running is enjoyable, in the same sense that eating an ice-cream or playing X-Box is enjoyable, is like asking if breathing is enjoyable. The concept is too limited to encompass the satisfaction running brings. When you find yourself looking forward to the prospect of running a speed session, despite the fact that it's 20+ degrees (or 2 degrees and freezing) and you're going to be running 12x400m with a breather of approx. 35 secs in between, the whole thing sandwiched by warm up/cool downs lasting 4-5 miles in total, then you know that 'enjoyment' is not really the mot juste. Running has become a necessary, elemental part of my being. I need it the way trees need photosynthesis. Asking me if I enjoy it is asking the wrong question. I require it at extremely regular intervals, or I will be miserable. sorry for waxing poetic. It's the romantic in me.
    Love it. An inherent need that has to be satisfied.
    Sums it up perfectly for me too!

And yet the sisters mock that we are an uneducated motley crew ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    And yet the sisters mock that we are an uneducated motley crew ;)

dave's training on our track has improved him ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    dave's training on our track has improved him ;)

No, it's because I'm from Raheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

What does WSAF stand for, as in Rathfarnham? :o

Hi Dave,

Fantastic post and thanks for that. Throws a lot of light on my question and I think you are right - most runners need running rather than "enjoy" it (which is a bit superflous I suppose).

I actually went for my 2nd run last night in some pitches near my house. I did 2 x 6 minute jogs - and they were jogs as opposed to "runs" ;) and to finish I did 2 sprints of the field. I was really looking forward to it and felt great afterwards, but during the run itself it was OK...can't say it was very "enjoyable" :pac: but I guess that's the point...It shouldn't be enjoyable, it should be a workout so to speak.

I suppose for now I just need to focus on getting to a stage where I can run 20 minutes comfortably and then concentrate on a plan to break 6:30 for the mile.

By the way, "12x400m with a breather of approx. 35 secs in between" is pretty impressive stuff :cool: My father used to run 800m and 1500m competitively 15 years ago and I remember him being out the in track running those sort of sessions.

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies!

Loire.

• Advertisement

krafty wrote: »
    What does WSAF stand for, as in Rathfarnham? :o
    ...would suit active fun-runners.

I jest, I jest....:)

Well, having said all that guff yesterday....of course I enjoy it. I love it. Just in a different sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

For anyone who's run 16:xx 5km, what weight were you at the time? I'm trying to get back under 17:00 but I think I might be a little bit 'heavy' @ 64kg (5ft 10). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For anyone who's run 16:xx 5km, what weight were you at the time? I'm trying to get back under 17:00 but I think I might be a little bit 'heavy' @ 64kg (5ft 10). Thanks!

That seems like an ideal weight.

I've run 15:52 - 16:30 probably around 10 times. My weight would vary between 70kg and 73kg (6 ft). I don't reckon that weight is as important over 5k as it is for longer distances (but excess weight certainly won't help). I'd agree. Doesn't seem like excessive weight for your height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Sounds pretty good for your height, I ducked under 17 a couple of weeks ago @ 62kg, 5ft 7

The lighter you are the better of course for a 5k but I think it's a bigger factor over the longer distances. (edit: KC got there before me :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

I'm same height 5ft 10 and ran 16:59 weighing 76kg. I'd consider 64kg very light but depends on if you've been lighter before. I run with a 3kg backpack most days and I notice the difference when running without it!

64kg is just over 10st. I'm also 5'10", on the lean side, and I'm never lighter than 11st4lb. 10st is ideal, I wouldn't think going any lighter is advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Im 70kg and just under 5 11 and close to 16 min now. I ran 15:09 off 72kg or over. I did a test in December and was told that anything over a 2 to 3 kg weight loss would effect my running negatively. My body fat is low at 7.8% so like everything everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Thanks for the replies. I ran 16:57 last March. Never really paid much attention to my weight then, but I think I was about 60 - 61kg. I usually have trouble keeping weight on, on relatively low mileage currently so I'll probably lose a couple of kilos naturally when I start to bump it up over the next few months.

Advertisement