Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

straps wrote:
    What do u wear under ur shorts? Boxers briefs or just commando n the net inside ur shorts? Not a pervy question I tend to get some chaffing from boxers and y fronts!

Just the net for me, boxers under shorts would be too warm and uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

straps wrote: »
    Normal cotton boxers. It's more when they roll up a bit from leg movement I think.

I feel a bit chafed just thinking about wearing cotton next to my skin for running. It's the material causing your problems, not leg movement. Penneys do lots of microfiber underwear, really close fitting and wicking, brilliant for running I find. Some of it also happens to be the same underwear that at least one global outdoor company sells at about 5 times the price with a different label.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Commando
    That's how they are designed to be worn

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭straps

Jotunheim wrote: »
    I feel a bit chafed just thinking about wearing cotton next to my skin for running. It's the material causing your problems, not leg movement. Penneys do lots of microfiber underwear, really close fitting and wicking, brilliant for running I find. Some of it also happens to be the same underwear that at least one global outdoor company sells at about 5 times the price with a different label.

Thanks for all replys lads. Off to penny's for me so!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭doughef

straps wrote: »
    What do u wear under ur shorts? Boxers briefs or just commando n the net inside ur shorts? Not a pervy question I tend to get some chaffing from boxers and y fronts!

Commando for me too.
    Try using Vaseline in the areas that you get irritated in .. use loads of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

How much slower(if at all) is running on grass as opposed to running on the road. For example if someone can run a 5k on the road @ 6:00min pace at what pace would he run a 5k on grass assuming all other variables are equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How much slower(if at all) is running on grass as opposed to running on the road. For example if someone can run a 5k on the road @ 6:00min pace at what pace would he run a 5k on grass assuming all other variables are equal.
    Too many variables: How soft/wet/long is the grass? How well does the individual's running style suit the terrain? Are their runners better on grass or tarmac?

Even if you could abstract those away, it's not going to be a useful figure. You're better off running by effort (either perceived or heart-rate based)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

28064212 wrote: »
    Too many variables: How soft/wet/long is the grass? How well does the individual's running style suit the terrain? Are their runners better on grass or tarmac?

Even if you could abstract those away, it's not going to be a useful figure. You're better off running by effort (either perceived or heart-rate based)

How many dogs have been across the grass recently leaving obstacles behind? How many moles live in the field? How many post holes for goal posts are there? How many people sat in the way having a picnic? How flat is the field? ...? ...? ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I don't know how familiar people on here are with the Warriors Run in Strandhill, Co. Sligo. But I'm looking for shoe advice on this race. I think it's about 12km on road on 3km on the mountain. I guess it depends a lot on the weather that day. But what type of shoe would you advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057429410

Seems to offer some advice.
    6781 wrote: »
    I don't know how familiar people on here are with the Warriors Run in Strandhill, Co. Sligo. But I'm looking for shoe advice on this race. I think it's about 12km on road on 3km on the mountain. I guess it depends a lot on the weather that day. But what type of shoe would you advise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I do it regularly and can advise. What shoe do you currently wear for racing a HM say? (describe weight, stability etc).

You need a road shoe with just a little grip if possible for the grassy part of the descent, with enough cushioning for the lower part of the descend which can be sore on the soles if the shoe is flimsy and not cushioned.

Your normal 10 mile racing show would probably suffice, but say what you normally wear and I could make a suggestion if its suitable or give you an idea of an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm considering doing the Pink Run 10 k.
    I've been doing a lot of 5k the last while but I'm very slow 35-38 minutes each time.
    Would it bother other runners if someone like me was to do a 10 k, I'd stay at the back but may eventually have to walk/jog as the longest I've done solidly was 6k.

I wouldnt want to be an annoyance to the serious runners but would like to try try and see if I could go the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I've been doing a lot of 5k the last while but I'm very slow 35-38 minutes each time.
    Would it bother other runners if someone like me was to do a 10 k, I'd stay at the back but may eventually have to walk/jog as the longest I've done solidly was 6k.

I wouldnt want to be an annoyance to the serious runners but would like to try try and see if I could go the distance.

is that the one on 29th August Aisling? you'd have time to start this training plan http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/get-running/10k-weeks-1-4 which would really help get you closer to your goal and run it. The race has 3 categories:
    1. Competitive Runner (Typically less than 5 mins / km)
    2. Running for Fun (Typically 5 – 7 mins / km) -This is the main section for all shapes and forms of runner
    3. Joggers & walkers (Typically 8+mins / km) – This is for those wishing to take their time.
    So you can do it and enjoy it and no doubt it will get you running and racing more regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Oh thanks for that Firedance.
    Think I'll sign up for it.
    I usually do around 7 mins a km so I'm going to try some of that training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Check out the website for previous years' results. There will be absolutely loads of people slower than you.
    You won't be in anyone's way and your times are not very slow! Follow a structured plan like Firedance suggested and you might surprise yourself with how well you do.
    Best of luck. DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

demfad wrote: »
    I do it regularly and can advise. What shoe do you currently wear for racing a HM say? (describe weight, stability etc).

You need a road shoe with just a little grip if possible for the grassy part of the descent, with enough cushioning for the lower part of the descend which can be sore on the soles if the shoe is flimsy and not cushioned.

Your normal 10 mile racing show would probably suffice, but say what you normally wear and I could make a suggestion if its suitable or give you an idea of an alternative.
    My current racing shoe is adidas ultra boost. I'm looking at getting a trail shoe at the moment as I want to do more mountain running. Maybe some kind of a hybrid like the Salomon X-Scream 3D that is suited for roads and light trails.

My current racing shoe is adidas ultra boost. I'm looking at getting a trail shoe at the moment as I want to do more mountain running. Maybe some kind of a hybrid like the Salomon X-Scream 3D that is suited for roads and light trails.

Roughly 2/3 of the race is on paved road. You potentially may need grip for about 5 mins of steep descending on grass. The ultra boost look just about perfect as road shoes go. Enough cushioning and sufficient grip.

You could go with the Salomans, you may gain minimally during that 5 mins of grassy descent but then you may lose on the road depending on how well they fare. That said some people make huge gains when wearing grips compared to road shoes and the confidence that gives.

Take into account the requirement of the mountain races you intend to do. The grips on those salomans arent lugged so may only suit some of the summer more traily type of mountain races. You can get solomans like the speedcross 3 which would cover more races (can be used in warriors run too).

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

The National Track & Field in Morton Stadium is coming up on August 9th I'd like to run the 5k put I'm only running around 18mins for the distance and would like to break 18 will I be shunned for running considering the winners will be doing low 15s or under ?

The National Track & Field in Morton Stadium is coming up on August 9th I'd like to run the 5k put I'm only running around 18mins for the distance and would like to break 18 will I be shunned for running considering the winners will be doing low 15s or under ?

You're free to enter (assuming you're an AAI member)

I think it's a terrible idea. It's not just that the winner will run low 15s, but the last-place finisher (if you don't run) will be mid-16s.

Someone has to come last, there's no shame in that, but what is the point in entering the national championships when you know you are nowhere near the standard of the other competitors?

If you want to run a track race, the Dublin gradeds have an 800 on the 29th, BHAA often have track races in late summer, there may be some other meets around. If you're over 35, there's the Masters. But I would see it as a sign of disrespect to the athletes who are competing to enter the nationals as if it were just another race.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Louise40

Guys an update on my post below. Just found out I am anaemic. Blood count of 8.5. Probably explains the drop in performance? Gp advised to take a wk off running and go on iron tabs

Quote: Louise40
    Thanks a million for your replies. Pre Xmas I was running about 35 mpw. It was a long run of 12-14 miles, 5 miles easy Sunday, gym Monday, track Tuesday 5 miles easy Wednesday, 6 miles thur (4 miles tempo). Due to personal issues I ended up cutting my mileage to about 20/25 miles pw from January. My long run is now 8 miles and it takes me about 1:16 whereas before Xmas it would have taken me 1:08. I figured the 3 speed was too much. I couldn't do Sundays session. I ran 4 miles easy instead. Last wk at track on Tuesday we did 4x6 min 1 min rec. my pace for the 6 mins was 815-830. I feel I m really struggling. The easy miles are so slow and feel an effort even at 950 pace. My fitness really seems to have suffered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Louise40 wrote: »
    Guys an update on my post below. Just found out I am anaemic. Blood count of 8.5. Probably explains the drop in performance? Gp advised to take a wk off running and go on iron tabs

Quote: Louise40
    Thanks a million for your replies. Pre Xmas I was running about 35 mpw. It was a long run of 12-14 miles, 5 miles easy Sunday, gym Monday, track Tuesday 5 miles easy Wednesday, 6 miles thur (4 miles tempo). Due to personal issues I ended up cutting my mileage to about 20/25 miles pw from January. My long run is now 8 miles and it takes me about 1:16 whereas before Xmas it would have taken me 1:08. I figured the 3 speed was too much. I couldn't do Sundays session. I ran 4 miles easy instead. Last wk at track on Tuesday we did 4x6 min 1 min rec. my pace for the 6 mins was 815-830. I feel I m really struggling. The easy miles are so slow and feel an effort even at 950 pace. My fitness really seems to have suffered!

The same thing happened to me last year Louise, I couldn't figure out why I was slowing down so much until I couldn't get out of bed in the morning & had to go to the doc. Your doc probably told you that it can take up to 6 months for iron levels to return to normal but you'll feel better after 2-3 weeks. A tip I was given that worked well was to take the galfer tablets with a glass of orange juice and take folic acid with them too :) Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

RayCun wrote: »
    You're free to enter (assuming you're an AAI member)

I think it's a terrible idea. It's not just that the winner will run low 15s, but the last-place finisher (if you don't run) will be mid-16s.

Someone has to come last, there's no shame in that, but what is the point in entering the national championships when you know you are nowhere near the standard of the other competitors?

If you want to run a track race, the Dublin graded have an 800 on the 29th, BHAA often have track races in late summer, there may be some other meets around. If you're over 35, there's the Masters. But I would see it as a sign of disrespect to the athletes who are competing to enter the nationals as if it were just another race.
    Thanks for your opinion I have the utmost respect for the athletes and the competition I ran the 10k on the track a couple of years ago and came last I stayed in lane 3 out of respect for the faster runners and ran my own race when I finished Ed McGinley who finished 2nd shook my hand

Why run that race, where you are out of your depth, and not a different one?

Why run that race, where you are out of your depth, and not a different one?

So what, in your view, is an acceptable level of performance to enter a race to which the organisers are happy to accept entries? The vast majority of runners in the vast majority of races of all kinds all over the world won't be within an ass's roar of the winner and a race needs everybody or it's not a race, so what is the poster above doing wrong?

So what, in your view, is an acceptable level of performance to enter a race to which the organisers are happy to accept entries? The vast majority of runners in the vast majority of races of all kinds all over the world won't be within an ass's roar of the winner and a race needs everybody or it's not a race, so what is the poster above doing wrong?

I don't think Ray is admonishing the poster for entering a race he shouldnt. I think he is saying that entering the race wont help him improve. Running over 18 mins for that race means he will be lapped by every other runner in the race. He wont even have one runner to look at and think, I can beat that guy if I train harder. He could eventually be competitive in this company but he wont see that. He will most likley think the task is impossible and be discouraged.

If he ran another race with more runners near his own standard (or not too far ahead of him) he would get motivation to improve knowing with some training he could pull back some of those guys ahead in the medium term.

He's entitled to enetr the race as an AAI member. It will do him more bad than good most likely. I wonder did his national 10000 experience help him?

demfad wrote: »
    I don't think Ray is admonishing the poster for entering a race he shouldnt. I think he is saying that entering the race wont help him improve. Running over 18 mins for that race means he will be lapped by every other runner in the race. He wont even have one runner to look at and think, I can beat that guy if I train harder. He could eventually be competitive in this company but he wont see that. He will most likley think the task is impossible and be discouraged.

If he ran another race with more runners near his own standard (or not too far ahead of him) he would get motivation to improve knowing with some training he could pull back some of those guys ahead in the medium term.

He's entitled to enetr the race as an AAI member. It will do him more bad than good most likely. I wonder did his national 10000 experience help him?

The poster has done similar races on previous years and is totally aware of the likely outcome and nowhere does RayCun outline concern for Raven Runner's future development, so this argument is, to be frank, nonsense.

This isn't just any old race, this is the national championship. I think it demeans the competition to have people running it who are clearly not up to the standard of the other competitors. There are plenty of other races to run, why do this one?

To follow up on what demfad said, I could understand it if you thought you would be last, but not far off, and wanted to be pulled to a better time. But if you're going to be dropped on lap one and run the race on your own, what is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

This isn't just any old race, this is the national championship. I think it demeans the competition to have people running it who are clearly not up to the standard of the other competitors. There are plenty of other races to run, why do this one?

To follow up on what demfad said, I could understand it if you thought you would be last, but not far off, and wanted to be pulled to a better time. But if you're going to be dropped on lap one and run the race on your own, what is the point?

Have to say, I agree with RayCun on this. Track racing is a different ball game. For me track, by its nature, is all about the race against your fellow competitors. . . If there are no qualifying rounds, you have to exercise some personal discretion when entering.
    A slightly different perspective - and it is all personal opinion - but I could have entered a prestigious-sounding international competition this year that has no qualifying rounds. Going by previous years' results, I was in with a good chance of medalling. However, to give competing in this any meaning, I want to be the best on a national level first. So whether you're competing on an international or national level, for me, and for it to have value, you should be competitive. Racing on a track is not about time, it's about position, and yes, somebody has to be last but you need to have someone to race against.
    Best of luck if you do race and would be interested to hear more about op's views on why he is competing.

But if you're going to be dropped on lap one and run the race on your own, what is the point?

The same "point" as in any race. The vast majority of us don't need to run and nobody in that race is running for a need, they're all there for a want and Raven Runner's want is as valid as anyone else's. I once ran against a guy who at that time, many years ago, was the form road runner in the country at the time. He was using a small local race in a buildup to a major one. He knew he had me all the way and inevitably he put the boot down when it mattered and dropped me. All I could do was laugh. We both really enjoyed it and he came looking for me after. The gulf in class didn't matter, we were both runners and there was a race to be run, regardless of the foregone conclusion. If the association rules allow Raven Runner in, who is anyone else to question his entry?

• Advertisement

Slightly manky question but here goes!

When running in woods/country roads etc in the summer, flies tend to be attracted to me delightfully sweaty head!

Is anyone else demented with this? Is there anything I can do to stop it. It's actually rotten and I must look like a total fruitcake swatting in front of my fact constantly!

Advertisement